AUSTIN REAVES (four-year, $56 million Early Bird maximum contract)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 176, 177, 178  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

They asked him "are you a hillbillie?"
4evARaBruinLG
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject:

HBK!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epic_ wrote:
HBK!!

Heartbreak Kid? Oops, wrong HBK.
Man, if he becomes good, you know that nickname is gonna stick.
πŸ’œπŸ’› πŸ† πŸ‘€ πŸ– #18!!!
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Poor man's Adam Morrison.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject:

AR 23 years old (5-year NCAA player)
Monk 23 years old (5-year NBA player)

His game should be pretty advanced, and Monk is younger than I thought

JSM talks about AR's game
https://youtu.be/JycgJaitMiY
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Have I been under a rock? This guy’s dad is β€œBig Country”? I loved watching Brian Reaves play basketball. Supposedly his mom was no slouch either.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Big Country's kid? Really? Pretty cool if that's the case.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
Osama YoMama wrote:
Any relation to "Big Country" Reaves? Dude was one of maybe two or three guys who consistently gave Shaq problems back in the day.

I remember Bryant "Big Country" Reeves from OSU when they played the Bruins in '95. Too bad he had to retire with back issues. Not likely to be related, even the name is spelled differently.

Google be creeepn and reading along with me
Tonight suggested video on YouTube
Shaq vs 'Big Country' Bryant Reeves Big Man Battle - Highlights Lakers [AT] Grizzlies 3/15/1998
Mar 21, 2021
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:29 am    Post subject:

His dad's name is Brian Reaves and did play college basketball but never the pros. He was a guard for Arkansas state who his mom also played for.

You guys had me hyped about that really being his dad for a minute though.

Welcome to the big league Lakers Hillbilly Kobe!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:45 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
His dad's name is Brian Reaves and did play college basketball but never the pros. He was a guard for Arkansas state who his mom also played for.

You guys had me hyped about that really being his dad for a minute though.

Welcome to the big league Lakers Hillbilly Kobe!

That's for clarifying that.
I almost had to waste time googling to see if it's true.
How easily fake news can travel
πŸ’œπŸ’› πŸ† πŸ‘€ πŸ– #18!!!
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject:

Big Country's surname was Reeves, not Reaves.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:38 am    Post subject:

Lol, I like Big Country Kid better than Hillbilly Kobe
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

man, you know he's getting hazed big time by the guys with that nickname. i think it's endearing though and he's used to it. so it's all good!

I think he's got the hillbilly part down with his jersey number. Get it? AR-15? Can't be a coincidence. Pretty bad ass actually!

i mean the kid can score. he was an animal in high school. pretty damn good in college. he's gotta hit the weight room though. he's gonna get pushed around without added muscle.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject:

Damn, sorry guys. I got excited for a moment as well. Thanks for clarifying. Well, HBK it is!
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Rondo just mention Reaves as being impressive as a rookie in today's interview. Maybe the Lakers saw and he deserved that 14th roster spot.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
Rondo just mention Reaves as being impressive as a rookie in today's interview. Maybe the Lakers saw and he deserved that 14th roster spot.

I'll gladly eat crow here but we gave Reeves a 2-way already so didn't see how he can immediately be better than Ennis, Sampson or whoever we could have used for depth at positions of need and not another point guard who won't play much.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:09 am    Post subject:

I think it is good to take on some longterm projects with your late roster spots. For instance 3 years ago we took on Caruso, and look what that did. 2 years ago, THT. Althought THT has not fully shown what he is able to do like Caruso.

They may have seen something in Austin, and it seems watching his highlights he has that fiesty nature and quick handles to make his moves. Not sure if it will translate to the NBA and he will make it, but at the very least I think the Lakers have earned some trust from me with things like this.

For Ennis, my argument for that is. You already have Ariza and Melo, Bron/AD are forwards. Where do you get minutes for Ennis? And Ennis' contract on the cap number/lux tax hit would be quite much more. If anything, it seems to me that we have a bit more of that 6'9 wing this year than last year. Last year we had Dudley (done) and Kuzma. This year we have Ariza and Melo. Not sure how good Ariza/Melo will be, but I think it is reasonable to say Ariza will give us more than Dudley and Melo should give us the same as Kuz (more on O, less on D).

What we really could use is that defender at the 3/2, and I do not think Ennis was that guy. The Lakers are hoping THT becomes that guy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:49 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

I'll gladly eat crow here but we gave Reeves a 2-way already so didn't see how he can immediately be better than Ennis, Sampson or whoever we could have used for depth at positions of need and not another point guard who won't play much.

What the Lakers did is hedge there roster spot. From Lakernation, I heard Reaves is only partially guaranteed, if he shows not that kind of prospect they envisioned they can cut and sign they player that is lacking in the club. Only difference is we will have some good sense as to what we really need if any.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject:

Enjoy the South Bay Lakers, Austin, learn all ya can...
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
DLaker wrote:

is Ennis or Sampson signed?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject:

Also, if they see legitimate role player potential in him they might have just decided the 45 days or whatever it is that a 2 way player is allowed to be with the NBA team wasn't enough and they wanted him to watch film, practice and sit on the bench (except blowouts of course where he'll likely be the new Dudley as far as fan and player favorite) the entire season to basically red shirt it and soak up as much as he possibly can with this absolutely ridiculous roster stacked with possibly the most high collective bbiq of any roster ever. If there was ever a time to groom a project or two at the end of the bench this is it.

Ennis is obviously not a game changer and maybe they felt they could get someone on his level (or better) later in the season if it's a clear need still. No way around it that the $$$$$ savings is there as well but there's some pretty clear benefits to doing this well beyond that imo.

Not going to lie, as a fan with him on the roster i'll now be excited to watch every minute of the blowouts as well to see his growth throughout the year.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Also, if they see legitimate role player potential in him they might have just decided the 45 days or whatever it is that a 2 way player is allowed to be with the NBA team wasn't enough and they wanted him to watch film, practice and sit on the bench (except blowouts of course where he'll likely be the new Dudley as far as fan and player favorite) the entire season to basically red shirt it and soak up as much as he possibly can with this absolutely ridiculous roster stacked with possibly the most high collective bbiq of any roster ever. If there was ever a time to groom a project or two at the end of the bench this is it.

Ennis is obviously not a game changer and maybe they felt they could get someone on his level (or better) later in the season if it's a clear need still. No way around it that the $$$$$ savings is there as well but there's some pretty clear benefits to doing this well beyond that imo.

Not going to lie, as a fan with him on the roster i'll now be excited to watch every minute of the blowouts as well to see his growth throughout the year.

I feel it is a win win. Lakers get a 2 year commitment if he pans out and Reaves gets an early FA payday. Also good PR on the Lakers part.

Hope Queen gets the other 2way and balls out with South Bay. At 6'6" he can provide the wing depth if needed.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:07 am    Post subject:

Reaves should watch as much film as he can get his hands on of Jerry West imo.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

The game is light years ahead of where it was 50 years ago in Jerry West's day. The skill level of today's players makes the guys in the 1960s look like high schoolers.

However - looking at vids of West's shooting form and replicating his shooting drills would, indeed, be helpful. West had great form, a quick release and could hit from anywhere.

MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
MJST wrote:

The game is light years ahead of where it was 50 years ago in Jerry West's day. The skill level of today's players makes the guys in the 1960s look like high schoolers.

However - looking at vids of West's shooting form and replicating his shooting drills would, indeed, be helpful. West had great form, a quick release and could hit from anywhere.

I'd take "High School 60s talent" Jerry or Wilt over 95% of the centers and point guards in today's game. Also I'll take '69 Kareem over any player currently. It would interesting and hilarious to think what West would do with the dribble rules now not being as strict as they were 50 years ago And up to this year with the 'foul changes', I'd love to have seen what Jerry would have gotten away with during this period of the NBA's 'protect the shooter' era that made it even harder to play defense.

But more so to the point, watching film of Jerry would help him a lot. Kobe rightfully pointing out when his pull up pump fake mid range shot was reminiscent of "Jordan" stated 'yeah and he got that from Jerry'. And LeBron saying West would still average 28 ppg today, it's because they know the rules of the game have a lot to do with how it looks.

90% of what NBA players get away with in terms of dribbling was called "palming" back in Jerry West's day. He was never allowed to do crossovers the way you see them now. They didn't dribble the way they did because they wanted to, they dribbled the way they did because that was the rule.

"Touching the side of the ball while dribbling - that's basically palming. Players back then could touch only the top of the ball with their palms facing straight down. Putting your hands on the side of the ball to sharply alter its trajectory resulted in a turnover called palming. Today every player does this almost all the time even bringing the ball up court - and esp doing it on ISO plays. That's why players "handles" look so vastly superior today. They have more freedom to control the ball."

That's why if Jerry did something like this back then.. it was a turnover

THIS in Jerry West's day was a turnover.
Today it's a basic move that 100% of players use and often the 2nd thing a dribbler learns to do.

So keep that in mind when you want to talk about how light years ahead players are today. When players back then weren't even allowed to show their full arsenal without it being a turnover. Imagine how Lillard, Harden or Westbrook's dribble would look if they got called for palming the moment their hand touched the side of the ball

99% of this westbrook highlight reel on his handles would have been called palming in West's day

But back to Reaves, watching film of Jerry would be helpful
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 176, 177, 178  Next
Page 4 of 178
Jump to: