Thank you MALIK MONK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject:

It'll be interesting to see how Vogel plays his rotations. I think Monk is definitely the best 2-Guard on the team if we're talking about keeping players at their natural positions. This is where the confusion comes in because they are trying to use the phrase "Position-Less" basketball.

I love THT and glad he's still on the Lakers, but his game is very similar to Westbrook, attack the basket and a streaky shooter, whereas Monk really helps spread the floor, you can't leave him open!

Monk is an "Elite" shooter, true 2-Guard in this league with great athleticism. He's definitely a Steal for the Lakers. With LBJ, Brody and AD, he gets at least 5 more of those easy looks on the floor. I think he could have potential defensively, because of his athleticism and ability to stay in front of his player.
For example, Ellington got sore ankles after getting crossed so much last night.

I guess overall it depends on where you want those points to come from, the bench or the starters. I guess if it had to come down between THT or Monk, maybe THT gets the nod because he's been around longer and his defense is further along. But either way, I'm super happy he's on this Lakers team, I remember him at Kentucky and was like the Lakers need a player like him.

Monk could be a Bonafide STAR in this league!
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject:

This dude close enough to replace DS production? Sounds like he has a good first step
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject:

It's unbelievable to me that some here didn't like this signing...saying, "his defense doesn't exist, there's a reason Charlotte let him go, he'll never crack the rotation." Uhhh I think some of you may want to revisit this opinion.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject:

I like what I saw, however, it was 1 preseason game with the majority of starters not playing... Hopefully he can keep it up!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
It's unbelievable to me that some here didn't like this signing...saying, "his defense doesn't exist, there's a reason Charlotte let him go, he'll never crack the rotation." Uhhh I think some of you may want to revisit this opinion.

I think defense is very important, as come playoffs, you want defenders that can match up with opposing players. Monk is head and shoulders above every other 2 guard we have in terms of talent on offense. He can shoot the 3, drive, play off the ball above the rim, finish plays on the fastbreak as a wing. Etc.

Defensively though, I do not see how Vogel will overlook his flaws. You have to have steady defense. But, I think about it this way. On the 2nd unit, he doesn't have nearly the same defensive protection/help around him, as he does as a starter.

Ellington and Monk both looked solid, IMO. Ellington is a legit threat to get early 3s and kick out 3s. And can defend decently. Monk, can hit 3s and be a threat off the ball in different ways (And on the ball make some plays as a ballhandle). Both compliment Westbrook well on offense, IMO. However the best defender will win the starting spot, IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject:

Thx KR & gng...let’s just hope a title run encourages the players to run it back on a below market, team friendly deal.

Laker's Fan wrote:
This offseason, which featured more cap room than will be in circulation next year, there were 9 free agent deals with an average salary between $10m and $20m where the player changed teams, and 4 of those were S&T. In a league where 60% of the players make $3m or less, offers as large as the full MLE or more to change teams have become scarce for non-stars. It’s not strictly about a player’s relative quality compared to other players as much as how teams are structuring their caps, which are all becoming top heavy.

If Nunn and Monk have strong seasons, there will be interest in the market, but their QO’s were rescinded for a reason. It’s likely going to take more than one good year behind LeBron, Davis and Westbrook to lock in major deals. LA needs talent going forward with an aging roster (other than Davis). Getting to a point where they can pay you with EB or Bird rights is very valuable.

This totally makes sense (and cents ) and can’t be ruled out since those trends towards the middle tier players has been ongoing. I certainly see this scenario being applicable to Monk, however I still have a hard time believing Rich/Klutch won’t prefer a cash grab for Nunn.

We know regardless of agency, a star player will get a star bag. So agencies need to sell mid tier players hard on their ability to get their clients paid and in the case of Klutch, Rich intends to get his klients richer for that empire to continue to expand. They have to show these younger players that Klutch agents will find radical ways to look out for their klients. We saw that with the Bazely kid and his New Balance paid internship. We experienced it first hand with a 19y/o third year player grabbing almost a max bag via early bird from us in THT.

As a released RFA not entertaining a QO, Nunn has to be Klutch’s most recent example of how a young player can revolutionize their bag grab by exploiting the shine he’ll get in LA. Of course Rich would try to facilitate a scenario where dude stays here and gets paid, but imho his priority would certainly be to show potential future klients, that Klutch will go get them a bag.

twisted wrote:
Will we be under the repeater tax next year? If so, I highly doubt we keep Nunn or him. Enjoy him while you can.

You’re considered a repeat tax offender if you have paid luxury taxes in 3 if the previous 4 seasons. We were not a tax paying team for the 2018/19 & 2019/20 seasons. We paid taxes for the 2020/21 season and project to pay again for this 2021/22 season and next year’s 2022/23 season (if Russ okra in or reups on a 30m+ deal).

So we are projected to be a repeater tax offender for the 2023/24 season.

Note: there is an upcoming vote on Dec. 15 2022 to either exercise an early opt out or remain in the current CBA. So if there is an early opt out, the 2023/24 season is impacted. Otherwise the current CBA (and its current tax rules) are set to expire after the 2023/24 season....one season before the new projected 75B TV deal kicks in.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject:

cital wrote:
I like what I saw, however, it was 1 preseason game with the majority of starters not playing... Hopefully he can keep it up!

The same crowd is gonna eat him alive the first bad game. Lol
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

I don’t think that crowd exist. I think everyone liked this and the Nunn signing. I’ve heard fans of other teams say what you said though.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
King Randle wrote:

I think defense is very important, as come playoffs, you want defenders that can match up with opposing players. Monk is head and shoulders above every other 2 guard we have in terms of talent on offense. He can shoot the 3, drive, play off the ball above the rim, finish plays on the fastbreak as a wing. Etc.

Defensively though, I do not see how Vogel will overlook his flaws. You have to have steady defense. But, I think about it this way. On the 2nd unit, he doesn't have nearly the same defensive protection/help around him, as he does as a starter.

Ellington and Monk both looked solid, IMO. Ellington is a legit threat to get early 3s and kick out 3s. And can defend decently. Monk, can hit 3s and be a threat off the ball in different ways (And on the ball make some plays as a ballhandle). Both compliment Westbrook well on offense, IMO. However the best defender will win the starting spot, IMO.

Ellington surprised me yesterday day with his defense on a fast break. You can tell he has gravity defenders have to respect him. Monk looked good but I don’t think that was the best he could play. I think Monk has another gear.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
This dude close enough to replace DS production? Sounds like he has a good first step

Westbrook is the DS replacement. Monk/Nunn/THT are going to have to fill the void that KCP./AC left us. I think we're going to be fine. Brodie is obviously a mammoth improvement of DS. The other 3 are TBD but I like what I'm seeing so far.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
King Randle wrote:

I don’t think that crowd exist. I think everyone liked this and the Nunn signing. I’ve heard fans of other teams say what you said though.

It does...I went back and forth with someone here regarding there was no way Monk could improve his D even though he's 23....so at least it did exist.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
governator wrote:

Westbrook is the DS replacement. Monk/Nunn/THT are going to have to fill the void that KCP./AC left us. I think we're going to be fine. Brodie is obviously a mammoth improvement of DS. The other 3 are TBD but I like what I'm seeing so far.

true, KCP/AC is a tough combo shoe to fill, Monk/Nunn/Baze TBD.
I think Melo for Kuz would be a deadlier sniper (might not d-up as well), we be good
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Car54 wrote:
King Randle wrote:

It does...I went back and forth with someone here regarding there was no way Monk could improve his D even though he's 23....so at least it did exist.

scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject:

Can he guard PGs? and put Westbrook on SGs

PG.Monk
SG.Westbrook
SF.Bazemore
PF.LeBron
C.Davis

lets run
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Monk played 20 minutes and took 12 shots. Not sure either of those variables occur consistently this season but he made the most of his opportunity.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject:

I haven’t seen much of Isaiah Rider but I think Monk and Rider comparison is realistic without the off court drama and any kind of locker room issues hopefully.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I haven’t seen much of Isaiah Rider but I think Monk and Rider comparison is realistic without the off court drama and any kind of locker room issues hopefully.

how can you make that statement if you haven't seen much of Rider? come on.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject:

27 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Rider was a talented scorer and so is Monk that’s how I came up with the comparison.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
27 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Rider was a talented scorer and so is Monk that’s how I came up with the comparison.

Thats about all they have in common. Isaiah was a physical brute. He was a strong dude that would try to overpower guys.

Monk, otoh, is a smooth and much more efficient scorer. His game is predicated on quickness, and pure athleticism, A better shooter too.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject:

The best comparison to Monk off the top of my dome is Lou Will.

Monk is a bit more athletic and has more bounce....although Lou in his hey day could get up. Malik, right now, is not the shooter that Lou is/was. But he could definitely get there. I believe Monk was touted as the best shooter coming out of his draft class iirc fwiw.

Kiss my Converse.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Monk is looking so good in these first two preseason games that I wonder if it would be better to bring him off the bench so that our second unit will have lots of firepower.

Our starting 2 only really needs to play D, hit open 3s and run the floor in transition. He doesn't necessarily need to be able to get his own shot like Monk can.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Lead the team in scoring again.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Only bright spot so far. Walking bucket
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Two pre-season games in he's looking like our starting 2.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject:

He is leading the Lakers in scoring after 2 preseason games......but is a minus 24 in +/-. Only player worse is Bazemore at -31.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 6 of 31
Jump to: