Thank you MALIK MONK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject:

And Monk is actually a decent ball handler. Had some nice assists
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:31 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
And Monk is actually a decent ball handler. Had some nice assists

He has all the talent. He even can move his feet and jump/contest on D. I just don't know if he's consistent enough to be relied on as a starter. Of all the 2s, he is the one that is most capable to do what we need overall. But man, I don't feel comfortable with him being a big minutes player, yet.

Monk/Reaves/Ellington were moving their feet yesterday big time on D. I really loved seeing that effort. Monk is the one with starter level talent. I just don't know if he can develop into a KCP level starter. We need one of those 3 (Ellington/Monk/Reaves) to develop into a KCP level starter for us. There's really no other way, because AD/Bron/WB need a 4th starter, and a reliable player they can have "core" chemistry with.

If I had to grade Monk on his D. I'd say he went from a F in October. To a C by start of November to showing some signs of being a B grade defender. We're a better team (+4.8 per 100 possessions) with him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

If I had to grade Monk on his D. I'd say he went from a F in October. To a C by start of November to showing some signs of being a B grade defender. We're a better team (+4.8 per 100 possessions) with him.

Great observation.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Great observation. The offense will always be there, it's his improvement on D that will deserve minutes.
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject:

You can definitely see why he was a lottery pick. So much talent.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

Monk = a tad shorter and better passer version of Jordan Clarkson
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject:

That’s why they call dude the microwave. When he’s on, he nukes those nets. But ain’t no one leaving their microwaves on all day, right?

Speaking of leaving, its a good time to bring up again how he’s in a 1yr vet min deal. That was by design to showcase his worth under the bright lights of LA. I doubt he’s available next summer for a vet min re-up.

So the only thing we can do to retain him is offer him the mMLE as our nonbird player. Based on his current vet min deal & his nonbird status, he can only sign to an annual increase of 20% of his previous deal (ie 2.15m). So in order to retain him and still offer him a bag, our only route is to not use the bird exception on him and rather turn to our mMLE (projected to be 6.2m on a 119m salary cap). Remember, if Russ re-ups on a new deal next summer or opts in via his player option, we’re capped out & that much more closer to the cap apron. As a result, we won’t be able to use the fMLE (projected to be 10.1m) due to it triggering the hardcap again.

Nunn is with Klutch and I’m sure they’ll look to cash in as well. They probably opt out of the 5.25m player option next year and if that’s the case we can use the bird exception to re-up dude using his nonbird rights on a 6m deal. Or maybe we can talk Rich into hooking it up again via player opt in to reroute dude for a bigger team need a la the Kcp/Trezz route. Fyi, the aggregated amount of the klutch duo (ie THT/Nunn opt-in) next summer can bring in as much as 19.5m in salary via trade.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject:

Monk is a sharp shooter, an underrated cutter and passer, and an improving defender. He can assume more duties
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Nice game Malik.

10 points. 4-6 FG (2-3 treys), 2 rebs, 2 assists
Monk is often overlooked but he came through again tonight.

When Monk gets it going, he is a human highlight reel.
That windmill dunk & the dagger trey were NOICE!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Nice game Malik.

That dagger trey was NOICE!

Really intruiged by the Monk/THT/Westbrook + AD/Bron lineup. That's the sort of lineup that could have balance on both ends of the floor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
Nice game Malik.

That windmill dunk & the dagger trey were NOICE!

Legit and I 1000% support it

#MONKSTER when he gets those fierce dunks in.. channeling the Mamba.. ripping their hearts out
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject:

Monk is a winner in deciding to join Lakers
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:14 am    Post subject:

We got Monk VERY cheap for the year. He is going to be able to get a crap-ton more money after the year.

Is there any way to approach a player under contract to offer him a fat extension before the contract is over / before the player starts fielding offers elsewhere?
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject:

I’m liking this kid more and more, he’s kinda neck and neck with THT in role and beating him, keeper
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject:

Knowing he is a good shooter, but he has also demonstrated he is a capable defender, ball handler with good athletic, really surprised me. Excellent sign!
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
That’s why they call dude the microwave. When he’s on, he nukes those nets. But ain’t no one leaving their microwaves on all day, right?

Speaking of leaving, its a good time to bring up again how he’s in a 1yr vet min deal. That was by design to showcase his worth under the bright lights of LA. I doubt he’s available next summer for a vet min re-up.

So the only thing we can do to retain him is offer him the mMLE as our nonbird player. Based on his current vet min deal & his nonbird status, he can only sign to an annual increase of 20% of his previous deal (ie 2.15m). So in order to retain him and still offer him a bag, our only route is to not use the bird exception on him and rather turn to our mMLE (projected to be 6.2m on a 119m salary cap). Remember, if Russ re-ups on a new deal next summer or opts in via his player option, we’re capped out & that much more closer to the cap apron. As a result, we won’t be able to use the fMLE (projected to be 10.1m) due to it triggering the hardcap again.

Nunn is with Klutch and I’m sure they’ll look to cash in as well. They probably opt out of the 5.25m player option next year and if that’s the case we can use the bird exception to re-up dude using his nonbird rights on a 6m deal. Or maybe we can talk Rich into hooking it up again via player opt in to reroute dude for a bigger team need a la the Kcp/Trezz route. Fyi, the aggregated amount of the klutch duo (ie THT/Nunn opt-in) next summer can bring in as much as 19.5m in salary via trade.

Vasashi the way around just offering him the MLE is if Russ opts out, allows us to resign some players like Monk, and then agrees to say a 3 year $90 million deal right? If Russ agrees to resign at all...I would be very surprised if Russ opts in...IMO he'll take the CP3, Lowry approach, and opt out and then signing a new multi year deal,
lurklurk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Vasashi the way around just offering him the MLE is if Russ opts out, allows us to resign some players like Monk, and then agrees to say a 3 year $90 million deal right? If Russ agrees to resign at all...I would be very surprised if Russ opts in...IMO he'll take the CP3, Lowry approach, and opt out and then signing a new multi year deal,

We’ll still have russ’s cap hold even if he opts out. If we renounce his cap hold, we cant sign him on that 30M per year contract as we wont have enough available under the cap.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject:

lurklurk wrote:
King Randle wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

We’ll still have russ’s cap hold even if he opts out. If we renounce his cap hold, we cant sign him on that 30M per year contract as we wont have enough available under the cap.

I don't think that's true....and I don't think we'll renounce....It's his option and there's still Bird rights....I think he'll opt out and resign.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

<snip>
I don't think that's true....and I don't think we'll renounce....It's his option and there's still Bird rights....I think he'll opt out and resign.

No. If we keep his bird-rights we keep his cap-hold - that's the whole point of a cap-hold, allow teams to sign bird-rights free agents but NOT go over the cap any beyond that.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
King Randle wrote:

<snip>

No. If we keep his bird-rights we keep his cap-hold - that's the whole point of a cap-hold, allow teams to sign bird-rights free agents but NOT go over the cap any beyond that.

Sorry not trying to dispute anyone here but the point of Bird rights is to allow the team to pay the player and go over the cap, after they resigned others or not...That's what GS did with Curry, Klay and KD etc. Can a cap expert guy here clarify...Vasashi or anyone else that knows the cap rules.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject:

love monk and IMO Nunn is a little better. Hopefully he gets to show it.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject:

I'm on the start Monk bandwagon. I hope he's with the Lakers longterm.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

Malik Monk Last 7 Games

14.7 PPG
4.1 RPG
2.6 APG
1.0 SPG
51.3% Field Goal
45.5% Three Pointer(on 6.3 attempts per game)
75.0% Free THrow

Coming off the bench playing 30MPG

If he can keep this up he'll be as vital as a 6th man as Carmelo has been. And having them both is a major advantage. Even more of one if Kendrick Nunn is able to play this season early enough to find a rhythm.

Still want Monk to start though, but as a 30 MPG 6th man that finishes games, that works just fine too.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Malik Monk Last 7 Games

14.7 PPG
4.1 RPG
2.6 APG
1.0 SPG
51.3% Field Goal
45.5% Three Pointer(on 6.3 attempts per game)
75.0% Free THrow

Coming off the bench playing 30MPG

If he can keep this up he'll be as vital as a 6th man as Carmelo has been. And having them both is a major advantage. Even more of one if Kendrick Nunn is able to play this season early enough to find a rhythm.

Still want Monk to start though, but as a 30 MPG 6th man that finishes games, that works just fine too.

He or Ellington needs to start. We need more spacing in the starting unit. Literally zero when there's both of AB and THT out there.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:
King Randle wrote:

<snip>

Sorry not trying to dispute anyone here but the point of Bird rights is to allow the team to pay the player and go over the cap, after they resigned others or not...That's what GS did with Curry, Klay and KD etc. Can a cap expert guy here clarify...Vasashi or anyone else that knows the cap rules.

The point is to allow teams to go over the cap to sign *THAT PARTICULAR OWN* free agent, not arbitrary OTHER free-agents. Here's a reference:

HoopsRumors - Glossary cap holds
In particular this section:
Quote:

The general purpose of a cap hold is to prevent teams from using room under the cap to sign free agents before using Bird rights to re-sign their own free agents. If a team wants to take advantage of its cap space, it can renounce the rights to its own free agents, eliminating those cap holds. However, doing so means the team will no longer hold any form of Bird rights for those players — if the team wants to re-sign those free agents, it would have to use its cap room or another kind of cap exception.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 13 of 31
Jump to: