Thank you MALIK MONK
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
What’s the most the lakers could offer Monk, say ignoring the luxury tax?

Just curious.

As it currently stands the most they can offer him is the TPMLE approx 6.2M.

If they waive and stretch Westbrook they could theoretically offer somewhere in the ballpark of 10.3M.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject:

NBA Executives Assess What It Will Cost LA To Keep Malik Monk

HoopsHype's Michael Scotto talked to four NBA executives about what it will cost to sign Malik Monk this offseason.
Quote:
NBA executives expect Malik Monk to earn between $6-$10 million annually on next deal

https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/lakers-nba-executives-assess-what-it-will-cost-la-to-keep-malik-monk-ee21

https://lebronwire.usatoday.com/2022/04/21/malik-monk-on-whether-hed-have-to-start-to-stay-with-lakers/

https://hoopshype.com/2022/04/20/nba-executives-expect-malik-monk-to-earn-between-6-10-million-annually-on-next-deal/
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Do you guys like Monk's game?

He's a 6th/7th man that unfortunately had to start games for us. If the Lakers can get him for $7M, that seems fair.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject:

He improved a fair amount defensively this year, but his lack of size/strength will never go away and will be an issue. Good at that $5-$8 million price, IMO. Fits well with LeBron and AD. And if we got a more athletic big than Dwight, you could see more chemistry from Monk offensively than we saw this year with our backup bigs.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
He improved a fair amount defensively this year, but his lack of size/strength will never go away and will be an issue. Good at that $5-$8 million price, IMO. Fits well with LeBron and AD. And if we got a more athletic big than Dwight, you could see more chemistry from Monk offensively than we saw this year with our backup bigs.

He makes threes at above league average on a decent volume. As long as he can do that, teams will want him. I agree with your valuation because of the limits of his overall game. But the market sometimes overpays for shooting.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject:

If you can use the exception on a long wing who can defend then you pass on Monk. I doubt that we find one so bringing back Monk makes sense.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

He's a 6th/7th man that unfortunately had to start games for us. If the Lakers can get him for $7M, that seems fair.

Another team is gonna pay him 10-12M per and he will bolt
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
epic_ wrote:

They can have him then at that price.
So sick of short guards who can't defend on this team.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:21 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

That's how I see it. Monk was a steal at the minimum. I'd be fine with paying him the mini-MLE. If the Lakers have a full MLE to offer though there are likely better players that can be had with it.

Offensively Monk has a ton of talent, but he's a defensive liability. The best role for him would be the Lou Williams role off the bench.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject:

I really liked Monk this year. But can you imagine him playing defense against any of the teams in this playoffs? He would be hunted like no one else, and possibly unplayable.

As much as I'd like to keep him as a regular season bench gunner, I fear he is neutralized in the playoffs. I'm expecting Nunn to be back so I would use our MMLE on a big wing defender instead.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:17 am    Post subject:

In DB's recap threads I went over what Monk does well and doesn't do well and I totally agree with you guys on his value. He's a MMLE guy for us, but I don't know for sure if he a 2 year MMLE will keep him. We could argue that he's set with the 2nd year player opt, as it gives him guaranteed money and early bird rights to then get a big pay day in a year if he actually elevates him to 6MOTY level. He's not there, yet, but the signs are good that he could get to this level.

Totally agree sort of like Lou, he's gonna always leave you wanting some more defense and you sub offense for defense.

His chemistry with AD/Bron is there as is Reaves. I think Vogel left out the blue print for Pelinka to see. Reaves/Monk types and a versatile wing that can defend the bigs or smalls like Stanley. Now can Pelinka actually get some more talented starting level versions of those dudes and can Reaves/Monk improve a little? This along with some good head coach, AD health will define if we're a play in team or a top 4 West team next year, IMO.

The entire second half of the seasom we could see what the team needed. Vogel was giving it to us, allbeit with G league/barely in the NBA level guys like Stanley. Hoping the FO and the new coach see that and pick up on it, because I'd be nice to see a balanced team next year, even if it's not a title level team.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:20 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
In DB's recap threads I went over what Monk does well and doesn't do well and I totally agree with you guys on his value. He's a MMLE guy for us, but I don't know for sure if he a 2 year MMLE will keep him. We could argue that he's set with the 2nd year player opt, as it gives him guaranteed money and early bird rights to then get a big pay day in a year if he actually elevates him to 6MOTY level. He's not there, yet, but the signs are good that he could get to this level.

Totally agree sort of like Lou, he's gonna always leave you wanting some more defense and you sub offense for defense.

His chemistry with AD/Bron is there as is Reaves. I think Vogel left out the blue print for Pelinka to see. Reaves/Monk types and a versatile wing that can defend the bigs or smalls like Stanley. Now can Pelinka actually get some more talented starting level versions of those dudes and can Reaves/Monk improve a little? This along with some good head coach, AD health will define if we're a play in team or a top 4 West team next year, IMO.

His offensive creativity and pop is great. But he is just so compromised on defense, especially switches. Just don't see him as a key piece on a championship level team TBH. Can be a Lou Will type player, but he's never got to the championship level as a key 6MOTY player for a reason. Can't depend on him in the playoffs. I don't think the MMLE will be enough, but you have to seriously consider other bigger wings first IMO. We just completely lacked that this year.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject:

I agree, but we're not sitting in a good spot. Just as a trade asset alone, Monk at a 2 year MMLE would be good in trade talks over the year. Any team that traded for him by trade deadline would inherit his early birdrights, I think, yes? So makes sense to keep him if you're at 2 years MMLE.

Of course if you're saying if someone who can start, defend either the 5s or defend bigger 2s/3s - IE play the KCP role OR play the McGee/Dwight/Marc Gasol role (Only a big that has some athleticism left in the tank) - yeah you take that with the MMLE over Monk. Not sure those level guys are available for MMLEs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I agree, but we're not sitting in a good spot. Just as a trade asset alone, Monk at a 2 year MMLE would be good in trade talks over the year. Any team that traded for him by trade deadline would inherit his early birdrights, I think, yes? So makes sense to keep him if you're at 2 years MMLE.

Of course if you're saying if someone who can start, defend either the 5s or defend bigger 2s/3s - IE play the KCP role OR play the McGee/Dwight/Marc Gasol role (Only a big that has some athleticism left in the tank) - yeah you take that with the MMLE over Monk. Not sure those level guys are available for MMLEs.

Yeah, I hear ya. But I'm not sure early bird rights transfer in a trade though. I think not, but someone like vasahi can answer that for us!

I think Clips did an under the table deal with Batum to get him to his early bird rights, but in theory, say Batum is available for the MMLE, would you take him or Monk?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Offensively Monk has a ton of talent, but he's a defensive liability.
The best role for him would be the Lou Williams role off the bench.
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Offensively Monk has a ton of talent, but he's a defensive liability.
The best role for him would be the Lou Williams role off the bench.

LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Yeah, I hear ya. But I'm not sure early bird rights transfer in a trade though. I think not, but someone like vasahi can answer that for us!

I think Clips did an under the table deal with Batum to get him to his early bird rights, but in theory, say Batum is available for the MMLE, would you take him or Monk?

A soon to be 34 year old Batum? No. I'd choose him over Monk if he was closer to 30. But the point is moot. I could be wrong but this guy strikes me as having a real pro Clipper, anti-Laker vibe about him to me.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject:

I want to see him back, but offer him the minimum again. I dont think a scoring guard is what we need as badly as wings

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I don’t think that Monk coming back or leaving will change next season’s outcome very much. He shot well at times but couldn’t defend and made his share of unforced turnovers.

The secret to success

"keep the strongest pieces. remove the weakest."

Monk was one of the strong pieces, he's earned being re-signed. Kendrick Nunn on the other hand....will probably accept his Player Option, and get moved.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject:

We resign our 6th man yet?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
I don’t think that Monk coming back or leaving will change next season’s outcome very much. He shot well at times but couldn’t defend and made his share of unforced turnovers.

The secret to success

Monk was one of the strong pieces, he's earned being re-signed. Kendrick Nunn on the other hand....will probably accept his Player Option, and get moved.

People sleeping on Nunn. He had a horrible injury this season. It happens. At the beginning of last year I thought we'd lose both Nunn/Monk by year's end. I think he can contribute for sure next year on our team.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The secret to success

People sleeping on Nunn. He had a horrible injury this season. It happens. At the beginning of last year I thought we'd lose both Nunn/Monk by year's end. I think he can contribute for sure next year on our team.

Yes, but he also had an injury that kept him out of the game for what will be a full year, and wasn't exactly a star before the injury. It could go either way. He could come back and be the player he was before. A solid 3rd guard to have, a legit rotation NBA level player on a good team. That's an asset. Or he could struggle having been out of the game for that long.

If I can get a starter for THT/Nunn, who makes the same net money and whose contract expires within 2023 or 2024, and is under 32 (Meaning he still has athleticism left in the tank) I go for the proven NBA starting level player.

I meam you know my preference is to trade AD/Bron for longterm assets and get to work on the next title team, but you all convinced me this is never happening, so if we want to get back to bieng a 4th seed level team, instead of wishing on THT/Nunn, we need to trade them away for a wing or big that can play next AD/Bron/Reaves. I'd pencil in AD/Bron/Reaves, and I'd try to get a 4th starter using THT/Nunn. NO Draft picks
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
MJST wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The secret to success

Yes, but he also had an injury that kept him out of the game for what will be a full year, and wasn't exactly a star before the injury. It could go either way. He could come back and be the player he was before. A solid 3rd guard to have, a legit rotation NBA level player on a good team. That's an asset. Or he could struggle having been out of the game for that long.

If I can get a starter for THT/Nunn, who makes the same net money and whose contract expires within 2023 or 2024, and is under 32 (Meaning he still has athleticism left in the tank) I go for the proven NBA starting level player.

I meam you know my preference is to trade AD/Bron for longterm assets and get to work on the next title team, but you all convinced me this is never happening, so if we want to get back to bieng a 4th seed level team, instead of wishing on THT/Nunn, we need to trade them away for a wing or big that can play next AD/Bron/Reaves. I'd pencil in AD/Bron/Reaves, and I'd try to get a 4th starter using THT/Nunn. NO Draft picks

With an older core, the goal is to just survive the regular season. Let the young teams go crazy in the regular season, and when things slow down and are a bit more cerebral in the playoffs, if you have a healthy AD/LBJ, you have a fighting chance still.

But re: Nunn, yeah, lots of unknowns. If he will be good to go by October, ideal 3rd guard to come off the bench, or play off LBJ playing "point" again.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject:

I have concerns with Monk’s game as I prefer defense over offense but I hate roster churn more…plus he was more than a decent shooter. Monk was our 4th best player last year so I would like to keep him for the tpMLE and play him as a 7th or 8th man against our opponents reserves.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:23 am    Post subject:

Monk is a defensive liability, but he is a professional scorer, plus he is a great finisher on the fast break, making him a great target for LeBron.

Bench players like him will have a weakness or two, but when they're really good or great at one or two things, you accept that.

I'd only sign a 3-and-D wing instead of him at the TMLE if that wing is outstanding at D instead of just merely good, plus he would have to be in his 20s or at least under 32.

Lakers have to stop investing in washed-up guys like Trevor Ariza and Carmelo Anthony and signing them based on what they used to be versus what they are now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 27 of 31
Jump to: