KENDRICK NUNN Officially a Laker Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
anth2000
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Apr 2001
Posts: 7907
Location: Pasadena, CA

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject:

What I already like about this roster is chemistry is already built between many of the players....some recruited others......it's wonderful to see.
I never thought Harrell or Schroder had any chemistry with the team...
Even seeing THT and Nunn working out together, they are building chemistry....

Regardless of what the idiots say out there, I think this Lakers team will be deadly......and I am loving the idea more and more about Westbrook being here. He can calm down a bit and not have to do so much. It's going to be good for him to focus and kill.....

How could Laker fans not be excited about this coming season? I love all the moves....A+ for Pelinka.....much better roster than the past two seasons, in my opinion....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 8844

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
What I already like about this roster is chemistry is already built between many of the players....some recruited others......it's wonderful to see.
I never thought Harrell or Schroder had any chemistry with the team...
Even seeing THT and Nunn working out together, they are building chemistry....

Regardless of what the idiots say out there, I think this Lakers team will be deadly......and I am loving the idea more and more about Westbrook being here. He can calm down a bit and not have to do so much. It's going to be good for him to focus and kill.....

How could Laker fans not be excited about this coming season? I love all the moves....A+ for Pelinka.....much better roster than the past two seasons, in my opinion....


I fully agree with this. I guess in a perfect world guys like Ellington and Bazemore were replaced with some younger guys with fresher legs who can also shoot and defend but otherwise, I really like what we have. Not perfect but much better than what we had the past couple years.

All we need is good health because I think we're going to see a very different Russ that will fit quite well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 3740

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
What I already like about this roster is chemistry is already built between many of the players....some recruited others......it's wonderful to see.
I never thought Harrell or Schroder had any chemistry with the team...
Even seeing THT and Nunn working out together, they are building chemistry....

Regardless of what the idiots say out there, I think this Lakers team will be deadly......and I am loving the idea more and more about Westbrook being here. He can calm down a bit and not have to do so much. It's going to be good for him to focus and kill.....

How could Laker fans not be excited about this coming season? I love all the moves....A+ for Pelinka.....much better roster than the past two seasons, in my opinion....


The difference between Harrell & Schroder and the current players is that the current players don't have a new contract as their agenda. Those guys had a certain vibe that came with that agenda. Sooooooo happy is gone.

I fully agree with this. I guess in a perfect world guys like Ellington and Bazemore were replaced with some younger guys with fresher legs who can also shoot and defend but otherwise, I really like what we have. Not perfect but much better than what we had the past couple years.

All we need is good health because I think we're going to see a very different Russ that will fit quite well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
32
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 04 Nov 2009
Posts: 67536

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqXeyYC_CZw
_________________
Nobody in the NBA can touch the Laker brand, which, like the uniform color, is pure gold.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2005
Posts: 1347

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:48 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqXeyYC_CZw


Heck of a list to be included in. Impressive stat for Nunn and we got him for under the Mid level.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2003
Posts: 5880
Location: Central Coast

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if he gets much run next to Westbrook as the SG, that might be a very good running first team.
_________________
LAKERS 2019-2020: NBA World Champions!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 6325
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:51 pm    Post subject:

What do you guys think the chances are of Nunn staying with us for more than a season or two (in other words, signing a second contract with us)?

Assuming he plays well for us like he did in Miami, I'd really love for him to stick around and help us stay competitive after LeBron either leaves or declines.

I think we should keep an eye on the medium-term future while trying to win now these next two seasons.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 19178

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject:

Industry, acting and British accent very on point, almost but not quite Steve Blake Tokyo drift
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 3740

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
What do you guys think the chances are of Nunn staying with us for more than a season or two (in other words, signing a second contract with us)?

Assuming he plays well for us like he did in Miami, I'd really love for him to stick around and help us stay competitive after LeBron either leaves or declines.

I think we should keep an eye on the medium-term future while trying to win now these next two seasons.


His chances of sticking around longer term than his current contract are good based on your opening point: "assuming he plays well". He has a badly needed skill, which is shooting. A 6'2 guard who can shoot 48.5% from the field, and 38% from the 3pt lineup is going to make teams pay when they double Bron or AD.

I can't confirm the stat, but I'd bet my last dollar that we won't find many 6'2 guard who shoot 48% from the field. For me, it means that he has a serious knack for putting the ball in the basket. The supers like Bron, Russ & AD will love having him on the floor if he can duplicate those numbers, because he'll make teams pay.

They'll have his back on defense on the other end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 1760
Location: Jack's Crib

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject:

I know we got Russ, Bazemore & THT, but I really hope Nunn & Monk get consistent minutes at least 20 per game in 3 guard offense. I can’t wait till see what those two can do…
_________________
My Laker squad.
Mr. Clutch, Nixon, Eddie, Nick, Magic, Kareem,
Silk, Cooper, AC, Worthy, Horry, Shaq, Kobe.
HC: Riley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 25543

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Well, I hope this guy is right that Nunn has some playmaking ability. However, last year he had 2.6 apg in 29.5 mpg. His AST% was 14.5. Those numbers are not inspiring. If he has something more in his arsenal, that would be a big plus.
_________________
Internet Argument Resolved
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 3740

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Well, I hope this guy is right that Nunn has some playmaking ability. However, last year he had 2.6 apg in 29.5 mpg. His AST% was 14.5. Those numbers are not inspiring. If he has something more in his arsenal, that would be a big plus.


I think you'll be disappointed. When I hear "playmaking" I hear point guard, or at least a point guard mentality. I don't think that's Nunn. He's an efficient shooter/scorer more than a playmaker, which is reflected in his assists averages.

He'll add scoring, a bit of scappiness, and be looked at to make shots, hopefully at the same clip, or better, than last year at Miami.

He's not a playmaker per se. His role will be to play well off the playmakers...LeBron, Russ, Rondo, etc.,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Jun 2021
Posts: 1419

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
What I already like about this roster is chemistry is already built between many of the players....some recruited others......it's wonderful to see.
I never thought Harrell or Schroder had any chemistry with the team...
Even seeing THT and Nunn working out together, they are building chemistry....

Regardless of what the idiots say out there, I think this Lakers team will be deadly......and I am loving the idea more and more about Westbrook being here. He can calm down a bit and not have to do so much. It's going to be good for him to focus and kill.....

How could Laker fans not be excited about this coming season? I love all the moves....A+ for Pelinka.....much better roster than the past two seasons, in my opinion....


Rob didn't get a TPE. Rob sucks.. Blah blah blah... They will march to their own hate beat...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 3283
Location: Lake Nacimiento

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Well, I hope this guy is right that Nunn has some playmaking ability. However, last year he had 2.6 apg in 29.5 mpg. His AST% was 14.5. Those numbers are not inspiring. If he has something more in his arsenal, that would be a big plus.


I think you'll be disappointed. When I hear "playmaking" I hear point guard, or at least a point guard mentality. I don't think that's Nunn. He's an efficient shooter/scorer more than a playmaker, which is reflected in his assists averages.

He'll add scoring, a bit of scappiness, and be looked at to make shots, hopefully at the same clip, or better, than last year at Miami.

He's not a playmaker per se. His role will be to play well off the playmakers...LeBron, Russ, Rondo, etc.,


Yeah, I wouldn't label him an actual playmaker at all from what i've seen of him myself and read about. I think he will be a great compliment to one of Russ or Bron though and provide some nice hockey assists or lobs at times which we also severely lacked last season as KCP and Caruso were mostly awful at doing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 55242

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject:

Our PGs are Lebron, Westbrook and Rondo. To a degree, maybe THT.

What we need from Nunn, is to be an effective scorer, and to defend well. Vogel plays small guard lineups. He always has liked that. So Nunn will probably get minutes with THT, Westbrook or Rondo. It will not be only on Nunn to do the creating, IMO.

Then factor our 2nd units are often led by Lebron, and now I see some staggering of Bron/Westbrook with the 2nd unit.

Nunn's main job will be to fit in around Lebron or Westbrook (and at times Rondo). Make those 3 pointers, make plays, in terms of a 2 guard. Defend the point or 2. He has to play the Caruso role, probably better on offense, but we may not get the defense we would with Caruso.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 2689

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject:

Seems like Monk is getting the lion's share of irrational hype but I think Nunn will soon become a fan favorite around here. Expecting him to contribute right away and show his worth. Hopeful for Monk as well but very low expectations for him as I think he'll be more Quinn Cook than Lou Williams.
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2003
Posts: 5880
Location: Central Coast

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject:

Dunn might win that SG spot outright, and I think he comes out shooting much better from distance than THT. I think THT may end up being our small ball SF , playing when Lebron is on the bench.

Whoever wants to be the starting SG better be outworking every other Laker contender this offseason. If you can't shoot, you can sit.
_________________
LAKERS 2019-2020: NBA World Champions!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 36170

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
Seems like Monk is getting the lion's share of irrational hype but I think Nunn will soon become a fan favorite around here. Expecting him to contribute right away and show his worth. Hopeful for Monk as well but very low expectations for him as I think he'll be more Quinn Cook than Lou Williams.


I know being realistic is sometimes the right mindset but let’s not get overly realistic, Monk has the height advantage and has very good athleticism, his offense is on the crisp of breaking through, Quinn Cook is only in the NBA because of his 3pt shot.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 29 May 2002
Posts: 55242

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject:

I am wondering what Nunn/Westbrook show defensively. On paper, they should fit on offense. Nunn can shoot the 3, and has some quick handles and ability to get to the rim. Good secondary attack 2 guard. A threat to shoot and drive, something that will make our offense more effective. People think shooters are the be all and end all, what you want is double/triple threats. KCP was a hell of a shooter when on, but when KCP played his best (NBA Finals) he was a double threat, he also got to the rim. Of the guys I look at, Nunn is one candidate tobe that double threat. Monk possibly. THT, no, until he has improved his 3 ball big time.

Baze/Ellington are quality from 3, but like we saw with KCP/Wes last year. Being good at one thing alone, doesn't make you effective. When your 3 ball is off you're useless. Having double threat role players is even more reliable.

I just do not know if we can rely on Monk or Nunn to defend. THT I think can defend, but he has no reliable 3 ball. I definitely wish one of those 3 guys start vs Baze/Ellington. 1) It adds athleticism to an older team. 2) It gives us double threats, and with THT (if he adds a 3 ball) a triple threat.

Longterm, heading into the playoffs, I hope we build this team up to have AD/Bron/Westbrook + two of Nunn/THT/Monk next to them. This gives us a lot of athleticism, and dimensional offense, that is much much tougher to defend. If teams zone AD/Bron/Westbrook, then you insert in Melo at the corner, and Bazemore/Ellington. Zones won't last that long.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Aug 2005
Posts: 13324

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Seems like Monk is getting the lion's share of irrational hype but I think Nunn will soon become a fan favorite around here. Expecting him to contribute right away and show his worth. Hopeful for Monk as well but very low expectations for him as I think he'll be more Quinn Cook than Lou Williams.


I know being realistic is sometimes the right mindset but let’s not get overly realistic, Monk has the height advantage and has very good athleticism, his offense is on the crisp of breaking through, Quinn Cook is only in the NBA because of his 3pt shot.


Agreed I'll add Monk and Ellington both knock down 3s with hands in their face.
_________________
Coach Vogel, Kidd, Hollins
Max slot : Kawhi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Sep 2020
Posts: 1649

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Seems like Monk is getting the lion's share of irrational hype but I think Nunn will soon become a fan favorite around here. Expecting him to contribute right away and show his worth. Hopeful for Monk as well but very low expectations for him as I think he'll be more Quinn Cook than Lou Williams.


I know being realistic is sometimes the right mindset but let’s not get overly realistic, Monk has the height advantage and has very good athleticism, his offense is on the crisp of breaking through, Quinn Cook is only in the NBA because of his 3pt shot.


Agreed I'll add Monk and Ellington both knock down 3s with hands in their face.


Also we'll see how they perform in a Laker jersey, with added pressure. Ellington is the vet here so that adds to the consideration as well, but Monk definitely has the physical tools if he proves it on the defensive end.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Oct 2003
Posts: 6325
Location: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject:

If Nunn started next to Westbrook, how would that work defensively? How would we guard big guards like Harden or Klay?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2006
Posts: 3740

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
I am wondering what Nunn/Westbrook show defensively. On paper, they should fit on offense. Nunn can shoot the 3, and has some quick handles and ability to get to the rim. Good secondary attack 2 guard. A threat to shoot and drive, something that will make our offense more effective. People think shooters are the be all and end all, what you want is double/triple threats. KCP was a hell of a shooter when on, but when KCP played his best (NBA Finals) he was a double threat, he also got to the rim. Of the guys I look at, Nunn is one candidate tobe that double threat. Monk possibly. THT, no, until he has improved his 3 ball big time.

Baze/Ellington are quality from 3, but like we saw with KCP/Wes last year. Being good at one thing alone, doesn't make you effective. When your 3 ball is off you're useless. Having double threat role players is even more reliable.

I just do not know if we can rely on Monk or Nunn to defend. THT I think can defend, but he has no reliable 3 ball. I definitely wish one of those 3 guys start vs Baze/Ellington. 1) It adds athleticism to an older team. 2) It gives us double threats, and with THT (if he adds a 3 ball) a triple threat.

Longterm, heading into the playoffs, I hope we build this team up to have AD/Bron/Westbrook + two of Nunn/THT/Monk next to them. This gives us a lot of athleticism, and dimensional offense, that is much much tougher to defend. If teams zone AD/Bron/Westbrook, then you insert in Melo at the corner, and Bazemore/Ellington. Zones won't last that long.


My dream as well! It means they're performing well. Placing two of those next the other 3, and I'd welcome competing against anybody in the league. Brooklyn included.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Apr 2002
Posts: 15074

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
If Nunn started next to Westbrook, how would that work defensively? How would we guard big guards like Harden or Klay?


Team scheme, beat him to his spots, don't foul and don't fall asleep while he's dancing. Don't die on screens. Hope he goes 12-30 with 8 FT instead of 12-18 with 18 FT.
_________________
On Lakersground, a concern troll is someone who is a fan of another team, but pretends to be a Lakers fan with "concerns".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 09 Jul 2004
Posts: 2689

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:34 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
manlisten wrote:
Seems like Monk is getting the lion's share of irrational hype but I think Nunn will soon become a fan favorite around here. Expecting him to contribute right away and show his worth. Hopeful for Monk as well but very low expectations for him as I think he'll be more Quinn Cook than Lou Williams.


I know being realistic is sometimes the right mindset but let’s not get overly realistic, Monk has the height advantage and has very good athleticism, his offense is on the crisp of breaking through, Quinn Cook is only in the NBA because of his 3pt shot.


I can basically guarantee that Russ/Baze/THT/Nunn will get minutes over him. Then he's competing with a proven vet in Ellington for whatever's leftover. He's not going to have anywhere near the same kind of opportunity he had in Charlotte.
_________________
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB