Training Camp/Media Day Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
The news stories will be about Russ looking great...but, yeah, fast forward me to Christmas for that story and fit. We will likely be jumping on teams early this season.

Curious what units will be playing together. Is it LeBron/AD/Westbrook/Center?... then we really need a great shooter with that mix. So is it Ellington as the other starter? A more two-way in Bazemore? No way you can run THT with them unless he's stroking it from three like crazy. Nunn I suspect will be coming off the bench, but you could start him and slide Russ to defend the twos.

I suspect Bazemore comes out of that mix. Put him in the corners to shoot open threes. He's an excellent cutter. No need for him to do any decision making with the ball in that lineup. Defensively, he's versatile enough that we can move him around 1-3.

Every lineup variation I've experimented with has Baze in it. His skill set seems idea to fit with practically anyone we put out there. He's a shooter, though a bit streaky, and a wing defender.

Fits everywhere.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
The news stories will be about Russ looking great...but, yeah, fast forward me to Christmas for that story and fit. We will likely be jumping on teams early this season.

Curious what units will be playing together. Is it LeBron/AD/Westbrook/Center?... then we really need a great shooter with that mix. So is it Ellington as the other starter? A more two-way in Bazemore? No way you can run THT with them unless he's stroking it from three like crazy. Nunn I suspect will be coming off the bench, but you could start him and slide Russ to defend the twos.

I suspect Bazemore comes out of that mix. Put him in the corners to shoot open threes. He's an excellent cutter. No need for him to do any decision making with the ball in that lineup. Defensively, he's versatile enough that we can move him around 1-3.

Every lineup variation I've experimented with has Baze in it. His skill set seems idea to fit with practically anyone we put out there. He's a shooter, though a bit streaky, and a wing defender.

Fits everywhere.

While Baze is definitely better for our defense. Ellington is the one guy the defense knows will knock it down.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:59 am    Post subject:

You have to stagger Westbrook and Lebron a bit. And now with Rondo, you have to stagger him in as well. It will be about having 3 PGs for us, and 3 different ways to run the offense. I think the fit for Westbrook is all about how much we sell him on being aggressive the right way vs being aggressive all the time.

Houston adjusted their offense and lineups for Westbrook, but it failed come playoffs. They traded out their big guys like Capela etc and got smaller. They did all the right things on paper.

We should not adjust to Westbrook. Westbrook should adjust to us. I like that mentality a lot more for the team. Because at some point, if Westbrook is to become a champion, this is how it will be. He will need to make some sacrifices and up his aggression at the right times. For example, when Bron sits. This was where Dennis Schroder failed at. Those Westbrook lineups with the 2nd unit and possibly AD, are huge for us. How do we develop those. Then, what about a 3rd PG like Rondo coming in and giving us a few minutes. Those lineups. I mean in theory, Westbrook + AD + Melo + 2 bench guys = As good as any team in the playoffs lower seed. That should be our main go to second unit, when Bron sits. That's a huge strength of the team, so developing those 2nd unit mix and minutes with Westbrook/AD are huge. And we need to get on it early, just as early as we do our defensive principles.

I would like Frank to use camp to develop his 3 basic lineups. One led by Bron as the PG (starters). Second with Westbrook as the main PG (Bron sits). Third with Rondo. No team in the league has that kind of PG depth. We have so much playmaking this year, it is crazy. We have to form lineups that allow the PG talents to maximize individually, but then also be able to share the court together.

Stuff to look out for in Training camp for me

#1 Who is the starting C between DAJ and Dwight (Likely DAJ, but lets see).
#2 Who is the 5th starter, has to be a knock down shooter. Candidates seem to be Bazemore, Ellington, Nunn, and Monk.
#3 What lineups can we put forth around Westbrook when Bron sits?
#4 What lineups can we put forth around Rondo, when Bron/Westbrook sit?
#5 How fit and strong physically does AD look?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:17 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
You have to stagger Westbrook and Lebron a bit. And now with Rondo, you have to stagger him in as well. It will be about having 3 PGs for us, and 3 different ways to run the offense. I think the fit for Westbrook is all about how much we sell him on being aggressive the right way vs being aggressive all the time.

Houston adjusted their offense and lineups for Westbrook, but it failed come playoffs. They traded out their big guys like Capela etc and got smaller. They did all the right things on paper.

We should not adjust to Westbrook. Westbrook should adjust to us. I like that mentality a lot more for the team. Because at some point, if Westbrook is to become a champion, this is how it will be. He will need to make some sacrifices and up his aggression at the right times. For example, when Bron sits. This was where Dennis Schroder failed at. Those Westbrook lineups with the 2nd unit and possibly AD, are huge for us. How do we develop those. Then, what about a 3rd PG like Rondo coming in and giving us a few minutes. Those lineups. I mean in theory, Westbrook + AD + Melo + 2 bench guys = As good as any team in the playoffs lower seed. That should be our main go to second unit, when Bron sits. That's a huge strength of the team, so developing those 2nd unit mix and minutes with Westbrook/AD are huge. And we need to get on it early, just as early as we do our defensive principles.

I would like Frank to use camp to develop his 3 basic lineups. One led by Bron as the PG (starters). Second with Westbrook as the main PG (Bron sits). Third with Rondo. No team in the league has that kind of PG depth. We have so much playmaking this year, it is crazy. We have to form lineups that allow the PG talents to maximize individually, but then also be able to share the court together.

Stuff to look out for in Training camp for me

#1 Who is the starting C between DAJ and Dwight (Likely DAJ, but lets see).
#2 Who is the 5th starter, has to be a knock down shooter. Candidates seem to be Bazemore, Ellington, Nunn, and Monk.
#3 What lineups can we put forth around Westbrook when Bron sits?
#4 What lineups can we put forth around Rondo, when Bron/Westbrook sit?
#5 How fit and strong physically does AD look?

Rondo ain't in the plans so we don't need to stagger him. He's not.expected to play much and Romdo already understands that. Houston didn't trade Capela because Russ couldn't play with him. He's played with rim runners his whole career. Mike had this idea of going small full-time on small ball. That was a mistake with that roster. When we faced him in the playoffs he was returning from an injury so that helped a little bit. If we're going to be successful its gonna be because he able to be the BEST Westbrook. I don't disagree with the stagger idea but our 3 super stars also need to be able to share the floor at the end of games
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject:

Vogel has his work cut out for him, that is for sure.

Not so worried about the lineups/ rotations. Those tend to work themselves out, sometimes to the surprise of fans.

The biggest interests to me going into this season are the team chemistry and collective defensive effort. Going to be interesting to see if the coaches can get the players motivated to play solid defense every possession every night.

The other question I have is how to balance James and Westbrook. Both play best with the ball in their hands. Not too worried about the “rebound and go” plays. This team should be spectacular on the break.

It is more about how they balance the balance court, both are elite playmakers. Can they coincide with it being inefficient and ineffective? As a side note, both can turn the ball over a lot in those situations by forcing the offense. Would like to see that change a bit.

Lastly, can’t wait to see how all the other pieces fall into place. The depth of the team is intriguing. How they fit them together is going to stress the coaches and players as they figure it out.
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

6 days ladies and germs....6 FREAKING DAYS!
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject:

Hopefully we see some video from the LV minicamp. That would make my day for sure.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers just confirmed that media day will be this coming Tuesday, Sept. 28 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PT.

https://twitter.com/hmfaigen/status/1440826697671012363?s=19
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers just confirmed that media day will be this coming Tuesday, Sept. 28 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. PT.

scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject:

Tooooomorro, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you're only a day awaaayyyy...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject:

Finally. Been a long wait. Preseason game is also around the corner. Nice to have some looks and feedback at what's going on with all these changes around AD/Bron.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:

Anyone else notice that every other teams tearing camp started on the 27th. Lakers have their own day to themselves.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:22 am    Post subject:

LET'S GO!!!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
32 wrote:
Quote:

Anyone else notice that every other teams tearing camp started on the 27th. Lakers have their own day to themselves.

Silver nods.
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject:

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject:

NBA TV is also covering it.

Quote:
@Lakers media day coverage begins at 1 pm ET on NBA TV!

Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Thing you want to hear the most coming from training camp?

Me, maybe that THT has been knocking down three's. That would be huge.

Everybody hits them in the Gym I want to see the players do it in live games.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

Here’s the schedule for today’s availability for Lakers Media Day:

https://mobile.twitter.com/RyanWardLA/status/1442887153596485639
chinaurge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

Media Day 2021 Press Conferences:

https://livestream.com/accounts/4090838/events/9847888/player?width=640&height=360&enableInfoAndActivity=true&defaultDrawer=&autoPlay=true&mute=false&t=1632847284744
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject:

Hillbilly Kobe......
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:00 am    Post subject:

This is the most enjoyable Laker media day I've seen in a bit... and we haven't even seen Brodie/Dwight/Melo/Nunn/DAJ/Rondo yet
#18 next...
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

Love Dwight. His attitude is great!!!!
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Some real quick summaries of the key guys press conferences:

AD:
- On the vets: We can put a lot more complex stuff in.
- I expect to play center...that's the plan. Nothing is set in stone.
- On Russ: Looking forward to playing with speed and catching some lobs... His energy, his motor is going to propel all of us...
- On Health: Started from scratch and built his body back up to where he's comfortable again...

LeBron:
- Super Excited. I've been up since 5 a.m. this morning...Excited for what's in store for us this year.
- Health is the number one thing but also holding each other accountable on the floor.
- On Russ: I know what I need to do to help the ball club ... and be a counterpart to what he brings to the table.... "I don't think it's going to be like peanut butter and jelly to start the season, but that's all part of the process."

Vogel:
- You have to put in the work and make the necessary sacrifices and I feel like our guys are highly motivated to do that.
- On AD: He's played center the last two years, but it's what kind of balance are we going to have. Last year was more playing the 4. I think we're going to return to more the first year's balance but he'll play some 4 and some 5.
- On everyone vaxxed: A lot of conversations and education to get to that point.
- The age issues: Said a benefit is understanding that you may need to step aside for the group.
- We've got great two-way players and no one that we feel is a liability. We have a smart scheme...we're going to set a high standard for what we want to do on the defensive end... Is this group going to commit like the last couple of years? That's the challenge...placed upon them.

Westbrook:
- My job is to make sure I uplift Bron, AD to make sure those guys are competing at the highest level.
- On LeBron: We both understand what it takes to win but obviously LeBron know what it takes to get to that next level.
- Doesn't pay attention to fit. The game will always tell you what to do...it's going to be a process...my job is to continue to make those guys better.
- Being able to sit here and be in this Laker uniform is just a blessing... He said it's slowly starting to feel real.
- AD at the 5: It can be deadly because AD is obviously one of the best players in the world...him at the 5 you never know where he can be (trying to defend him).
-
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

AD:
- On Russ: Looking forward to playing with speed and catching some lobs... His energy, his motor is going to propel all of us...
- On Health: Started from scratch and built his body back up to where he's comfortable again...

LeBron:
- Super Excited. I've been up since 5 a.m. this morning...Excited for what's in store for us this year.
- Health is the number one thing but also holding each other accountable on the floor.
- On Russ: I know what I need to do to help the ball club ... and be a counterpart to what he brings to the table.... "I don't think it's going to be like peanut butter and jelly to start the season, but that's all part of the process."

Vogel:
- You have to put in the work and make the necessary sacrifices and I feel like our guys are highly motivated to do that.
- On AD: He's played center the last two years, but it's what kind of balance are we going to have. Last year was more playing the 4. I think we're going to return to more the first year's balance but he'll play some 4 and some 5.
- On everyone vaxxed: A lot of conversations and education to get to that point.
- The age issues: Said a benefit is understanding that you may need to step aside for the group.
- We've got great two-way players and no one that we feel is a liability. We have a smart scheme...we're going to set a high standard for what we want to do on the defensive end... Is this group going to commit like the last couple of years? That's the challenge...placed upon them.

Westbrook:
- My job is to make sure I uplift Bron, AD to make sure those guys are competing at the highest level.
- On LeBron: We both understand what it takes to win but obviously LeBron know what it takes to get to that next level.
- Doesn't pay attention to fit. The game will always tell you what to do...it's going to be a process...my job is to continue to make those guys better.
- Being able to sit here and be in this Laker uniform is just a blessing... He said it's slowly starting to feel real.
- AD at the 5: It can be deadly because AD is obviously one of the best players in the world...him at the 5 you never know where he can be (trying to defend him).
-

Thanks DB .
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

AD:

LeBron:

Vogel:

Westbrook:
-

Thanks DB .

+1 --- thanks!

Interesting admission from LeBron that it'll take some time to make it work with WB. I wonder if he's just lowering expectations or if it's been a slow process so far.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: