Training Camp/Media Day Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Rundown of the others:

Ariza:
- "I'm excited. There's really no other words for it."
- Said it will be helpful to be on the team from training camp onward.
- On age: "It's kind of like being a rookie except you have experience." lol ... said advantage of veteran squad is that they will keep everyone accountable.
- Said Russ as soon as he got traded was on the phone. (Russ: He's from the same place I'm from. I've been trying to get a chance to play with him. He was my first call.)

THT:
- On Defensive End: Using my youth to go out there and guard guys. Using my tools I have on that end. Just trying to work hard on that all year.
- On Shot: I'm positive about it. Just trying to get the reps in and trust in the work I'm putting in. With me playing defense and doing that, it will be helpful.

Monk:
- I'm in awe everytime I walk in the building.
- I worked on a lot of threes last year and I was able to boost my percentages up and that opened things up for me.
- On playing with the superstars: I'll get way more opened shots, not rushed. Just a lot of open good looks... I'll be ready to knock the shots down.
- I don't care if I start or come off the bench, I'm just here to be the best Malik I can be for the Lakers.

Ellington:
- His goal is to create space, knock down shots, defend on the other end.
- As a shooter, you get to play with guys who demand so much attention, you get excited about that.
- It's an opportunity that doesn't come every day... Obviously, we've got championship aspirations. We're willing to put in the work to get it done.
- On mini camp and age: Guys are flying around.
- I create space, I create gravity, I know how to move on the floor.
- On LeBron: He knows how to make pieces compliment him.

Bazemore:
- Coming back for the second time around, really understanding what it means to wear a Laker jersey. (Smiled while talking about beating the Celtics that first time around.)
- On Vaccination: Early on, I'm a big health advocate. I do everything I can to take care of my body... When it first came out, I felt like it was kind of forced on me, I'm not a person who responds to that... I had a good call with Rob Pelinka, he laid it down to me in the most fairly honest way that I ever heard. To pass up an opportunity...it would be hard to pass up... (Will have second dose in a couple weeks... Baze said it wasn't a condition of coming here. Said the most important thing was that phone call).... Baze said Rob was talking about a life philosophy and whatever you can do to get rid of some of the distractions. Said he didn't want to have regrets and if he saw the guys partying with the trophy he'd be hurt. "I got one big monkey off my back," Baze said.
- Said he saw the three bigs taking a pic. As a defensive guard, that's all you want. You can be aggressive out on the perimeter and just funnel those guys to the rim.

Melo:
- On Diet: "Just got smarter. You get smarter it starts to become a lifestyle."
- On playing with LeBron: Over the years every year requires a different type of LeBron. It will be interesting seeing this season.
- Said the ups and downs, the sacrifices, the arguments, as long as we have each others backs, that's what matters.
- On age: It's someone else's narrative. It's not our narrative. Said it's not bulletin board worthy. It's funny.
- We don't get moments like this often. Where you have a group of guys of this stature on one team that all like each other. That's very hard to find.
- On his/LeBron career: We knew each other since we were 15. This is year 19 for us... said in the past, he didn't think he was ready or that LeBron was ready for it to happen (get together on a team).

Rondo:
- On if leadership role will change. He said no. "I pride myself on being able to control a locker room."
- Said this squad will be "probably one of the best teams I've ever played for."
- Said he and LeBron have the blueprint for how to win in this league. Asked what that is: "Each team varies. I can't give you the secret to that yet. Maybe when I coach one day I'll unveil it."
- Pretended to cry when told the guys said how much they missed him last year.... "Not a secret I wouldn't be here if those guys didn't vouch for me."
- On AD at 5: The best thing about this year, a lot of the big guys he bangs against, we have two of them on our team.

Nunn:
- Been preparing himself all summer.
- Said everything they did in Vegas was team oriented (on and off the court).
- Younger guys that have a strong work ethic will also be a key this season.
- I want to learn a lot from these guys. It's only my third year in the league. I'm definitely a sponge in the locker room.
- On if his role was discussed: I feel like that's something that's going to come just playing the game the right way.
- One of my draft workouts was here with the Lakers. Said he had that feeling of wanting to come here and put on that jersey.

Jordan:
- Now is the situation where you start to think about things differently. With the roster put together like this, it's hard to pass on.
- Said it's about giving up yourself for something that's greater and everyone is willing to do that.
- Our depth is going to be huge for us.
- We have a lot of great leaders on this team.
- Talked about LeBron was finding him in Vegas when he didn't think he saw him.
- Said they worked on some things that they will probably do in training camp, but wanted to get a headstart over other teams that already have that chemistry.
- On opportunity: The game or series will dictate what it needs. Thinks there will be a ton of opportunity... They can adjust to other teams, but they are also going to make other teams adjust to them, too.

Dwight:
- I'm just so happy to be back home.
- Said he's always got to be positive. No need to bring negative energy around with all that's happened in the past year outside of basketball. "If we can provide just a level of love and peace to a lot of people around the world."
- "The reason we feel so confident is the love we have for the game and how we express it." He said the love that they share is going to push them over the top.
- On Vax: "I'm just going to keep that out of the room and I'm going to talk about none of the vaccines."
- Said our team motto is "Championship Mindset" ... what are you willing to give up to get that trophy?
- Asked again if he's been vaxxed. "I don't even want to talk about that, I'm sorry. I just want to keep that personal. I don't think that's everyone's business what we do with our body." "That's on you to protect yourself and protect the people around you."
- On Russ: I'm just looking forward to it. (The lobs, the pace, the intensity..."he's like another level.")
- Said the love, passion they have for the game is going to keep chemistry together. "We got chemistry and the chemistry starts with the love we have for the game."
- Said the Masked Singer was his mom's favorite show so that's why he wanted to do it. He brought her there and she started crying.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Pics please
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Watched media day on Spectrum.

- LBJ definitely looks a little leaner.
- LBJ said he's looking forward to seeing an ANGRY AD. Like if Packers loss on Sunday LOL
- LBJ on Russ... seen it before. LBJ + DWade in Miami don't work, all about adjusting.
- AD looks in shape and is ready to play Center.
- Bazemore, no idea he was a college Defensive Player of the Year

From the clips I've seen on twitter etc. I'm already seeing that magical chemistry from 2019/2020 already.

CAN'T WAIT!
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
epic_ wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/hashtaglakerpod/status/1435778719256387587?s=21

Reaves gonna old man school those other young'ns

I’m surprised he didn’t sign with Boston. He looks like a typical celtics player

skin color?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Man, I am excited for this team. We are loaded. Funny how ESPN picks the Lakers as 3. In my eyes, even the Nets can't compete with this team. KD is great, Harden is predictable. and Irving is a head case....
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject:

DB, man, thanks so much for the summary. Cannnnnnooootttt wait for those summaries (wins only of course) when the regular season begins.
poppies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
DB, man, thanks so much for the summary. Cannnnnnooootttt wait for those summaries (wins only of course) when the regular season begins.

Media day got me excited, but thinking about DB summaries has me REALLY excited. Think this is gonna be an awesome year. Let's hope the health fairy stays floating around these guys.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject:

All those summaries and didn't even include Austin Reaves. Dang.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Is it just me, or do the Lakers' jerseys look more gold instead of yellow than they did the last couple of years?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Get ready for some major rim pressure this season.

https://twitter.com/thelakersreview/status/1442913781525331969?s=21

Russ, Monk and Nunn aren’t too shabby themselves.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject:

poppies wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

Media day got me excited, but thinking about DB summaries has me REALLY excited. Think this is gonna be an awesome year. Let's hope the health fairy stays floating around these guys.

Smoothness101
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Honestly this feels like '19-'20 season. People doubting us again, even some of our own fanbase. Nets are favorites over us. Our core is hungry again. Bron/vets amused at the old jokes, AD proving he aint a brittle granny. Pelinka having to prove he didn't make roster mistakes. Vogel coaching for an extension (sigh).

This is another us-against-the-world run. They have to deliver like last time or they're really going to hear it.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject:

hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Then you have THT as well who is only behind Bron and Russ getting to the rim imo.

I was getting the 2019 redemption vibes weeks ago but even more so after watching all the footage today.. It seems like every single player is fully ready to sacrifice where necessary and play defense which is a great thing to see that the mindset is already there before even getting to camp.

The offense is clearly going to be a big problem for the entire league but if they can all buy in defensively this team quickly becomes the clear cut favorites imo barring health of course.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject:

So does camp start tomorrow?
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:
So does camp start tomorrow?

Yes.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Then you have THT as well who is only behind Bron and Russ getting to the rim imo.

I was getting the 2019 redemption vibes weeks ago but even more so after watching all the footage today.. It seems like every single player is fully ready to sacrifice where necessary and play defense which is a great thing to see that the mindset is already there before even getting to camp.

The offense is clearly going to be a big problem for the entire league but if they can all buy in defensively this team quickly becomes the clear cut favorites imo barring health of course.

The return to the vertical game is huge for their success. They nearly doubled every team in the bubble in dunks.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Smoothness101 wrote:
Honestly this feels like '19-'20 season. People doubting us again, even some of our own fanbase. Nets are favorites over us. Our core is hungry again. Bron/vets amused at the old jokes, AD proving he aint a brittle granny. Pelinka having to prove he didn't make roster mistakes. Vogel coaching for an extension (sigh).

This is another us-against-the-world run. They have to deliver like last time or they're really going to hear it.

Talking Heads want to gripe about the age of the team and yet forget that young teams never win the title in the NBA generally. It is the older veteran teams that win...ask the Spurs during the Duncan-Manu-Parker era.

I like this team, it is deep and they are veterans who know what the goal is. They have the talent to be right in the mix.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:31 pm    Post subject:

hydrohead wrote:
hype wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

The return to the vertical game is huge for their success. They nearly doubled every team in the bubble in dunks.

I def. agree! They have the most versatility of anyone in the NBA as well again this season especially if Melo can even be close to average defensively and be that deadly stretch 4 at times we severely missed last season when Kief completely went MIA after leaving the bubble.

Pretty insane we have 3 of the 4 players with the most dunks in NBA history.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:

props.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject:

hype wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Yeah for sure THT is pretty good at applying pressure by getting to the rim, although most of the time it’s layups

He flashes dunking capability, so we will see if he continues to grow with his body change…

The offense is not going to have the droughts of last season imo. Too much pressure at the rim from elite physical forces (barring injury as you mentioned).

Defensively, Vogel feels more comfortable with big, athletic 5s as the last line of defense and Pelinka got him that dynamic back plus the added bonus of Howard and DJ as lob threats even though to me DJ isn’t what he used to be…dude had opponents scared in his prime. All we need is still the reputation of the threat from DJ though because LBJ, Russ and AD are on this roster.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject:

I’m watching today & getting hyped up
scottpot29
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject:

Anybody have any clips from training camp yet?
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

Any word on whether THT is any taller than he was in his rookie year?

I'm serious - we always hear with really young rookies that they are "still growing." THT wasn't even 19 years old when we drafted him. Assuming we're going to have him playing more as a wing/ SF than as a backup PG with Russ, Rondo, and Nunn on the roster, I'd feel a lot better if he were closer to 6'5" or 6'6" w/o shoes at this point.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: