Question asked on FirstTake
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

WHO'S THE GREATEST PLAYMAKER IN SPORTS (WHY)
LeBron James
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Tom Brady
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Patrick Mahomes
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Steph Curry
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Novak Djokovic
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
OTHER (Any sport) WHY
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Question asked on FirstTake

SAS and Michael Irving debate every Monday on FirstTake. This was one of the debates this morning.

Who's the greatest playmaker in sports?

SAS said LeBron James, Michael said Tom Brady. I choose Patrick Mahomes. He makes something out of broken plays. He does it with his arm, legs, presnap defensive reads, goes through his progressions. Patrick does it all. I think he can take his game to another team and make it better.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject:

so now they are comparing apples and oranges...
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject:

Shohei Ohtani should be in the discussion. He can pitch and hit at a high level.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:56 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Shohei Ohtani should be in the discussion. He can pitch and hit at a high level.

You can submit him in others with your explanation as to why.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject:

Brady

1. Count the Rings
2. The most recent Ring (within the major team sports) among contenders
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Doncic.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject:

To me, a playmaker is someone who is adept at not only creating plays for others, but also himself.

In a sense, it can also mean making plays on defense.

I would say LeBron. Brady and Mahomes are not that great at getting first downs themselves (at least not as great as, say, Lamar Jackson or Russell Wilson), and obviously they don't play defense.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:32 am    Post subject:

Bron and Brady for sure, who took the more underdog team to a chip?
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject:

Who has the better legacy— Brady or Michael Jordan? Brady now has one more ring in a sport in which it is more difficult to win.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject:

Mahomes, he can make plays from nothing and with his varying throw angles, he is able to make passes we don’t see other QBs make. He can change the game with his legs as well. I do like the suggestion of Ohtani, I hadn’t considered him. In the NFL one factor to success is staying healthy. I wouldn’t pick an NBA player over a NFL player due to the physical play in the NFL.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Who has the better legacy— Brady or Michael Jordan? Brady now has one more ring in a sport in which it is more difficult to win.

I'm a brady fan, but definitely MJ. nearly the undisputed GOAT - at least amongst pundits - and no stain on any of his chips.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject:

if you take away deflate-gate, and spying, and the fact that he can hand the ball off and not worry about defense or kicking game-winning FGs, I guess TB is top 3.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I'm a brady fan, but definitely MJ. nearly the undisputed GOAT - at least amongst pundits - and no stain on any of his chips.

MJ has more individual accomplishments than Brady, so MJ. And I hated MJ during his second 3-peat, when I was really starting to get into basketball.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject:

Brady, with MJ as a close second. Take a look at the number of repeat NBA championships among players, whether you wish to include the pre Magic-Bird Era is up to your discretion, but to make my point I'll only include the more recent Magic-Bird Era to present:

Most NBA Championships, Magic-Bird and later: 6 (Jordan)
Runners up with 5: Kareem (spanned both eras but legit), Jordan, Pippen, Kobe, Magic, Duncan

I've netted out the second fiddles like Horry, Fish, etc. To me Pippen was essential.

Now look at NFL Championships, Super Bowl Era, after eliminating second fiddles:

Brady, 7
Bradshaw, 4 (beneficiary of insanely loaded teams)
Harris, 4 (it was more of a running game back then)
Montana, 4

This illustrates the vast difference between the ability to win multiple championships in the NBA and the NFL. The window to win a championship in the NFL is far more brief than in the NBA. There is far more parity in terms of talent within the NFL, and of course it is a more corrosive sport.

My point is that Brady has almost twice as many championships as the Montana, or the Bradshaw/Harris tandem. He shows up as clutch, he controls the tempo of the game by moving the chains (something the flashier QBs cannot do as consistently), with coming-from-behind fourth quarter scores and he manages to do it without a household-name second banana. Michael Jordan does not have nearly twice as many championships as the runners-up, and he benefited from having Pippen. And of course, it is easier (relatively speaking) to win multiple championships in the NBA.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Quote:
Brady, with MJ as a close second. Take a look at the number of repeat NBA championships among players, whether you wish to include the pre Magic-Bird Era is up to your discretion, but to make my point I'll only include the more recent Magic-Bird Era to present:

I didn't include MJ, Magic, Bird, and like because they're not playing now and they weren't in the FirsTake discussion.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

I’d have to take Brady. Yes he had the advantage of that team and system, but as he just proved, he gets it done, and seven in the free agency and cap period in that sport is insane.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I’d have to take Brady. Yes he had the advantage of that team and system, but as he just proved, he gets it done, and seven in the free agency and cap period in that sport is insane.

I'd agree if it was about accomplishments. I chose Patrick because he "Makes Plays." When plays break down he "makes plays" that cause the broken play to succeed. The FirstTake debate was not about successful careers it was about making plays.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I'd agree if it was about accomplishments. I chose Patrick because he "Makes Plays." When plays break down he "makes plays" that cause the broken play to succeed. The FirstTake debate was not about successful careers it was about making plays.

Mahomes didn't "make plays" when it was needed during Super Bowl LV. The popular narrative is that he lacked OTs, but that ignores that he's not really a fast-processing pocket passer. Come on, he had some of the best targets in the NFL in Hill, Kelce, Hardman, and Watkins. Those guys plus Clyde Edwards-Helaire can get quickly achieve separation. Even Mahomes mentioned that he might have taken to the hoof too soon.

He's exciting to watch, but don't confuse excitement, arm angles, deep passes and the ability to run with moving the chains and scoring. Brady has made it a career spreading the ball along much lesser receivers. He's a playmaker.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Mahomes didn't "make plays" when it was needed during Super Bowl LV. The popular narrative is that he lacked OTs, but that ignores that he's not really a fast-processing pocket passer. Come on, he had some of the best targets in the NFL in Hill, Kelce, Hardman, and Watkins. Those guys plus Clyde Edwards-Helaire can get quickly achieve separation. Even Mahomes mentioned that he might have taken to the hoof too soon.

He's exciting to watch, but don't confuse excitement, arm angles, deep passes and the ability to run with moving the chains and scoring. Brady has made it a career spreading the ball along much lesser receivers. He's a playmaker.

Isn't that what playmaking is? I equate moving the chains with ability. Brady has that ability. Brady completes plays, he doesn't make them. When they break down he doesn't have the abilities of a Mahomes.

I guess it comes down to what one thinks a playmaker is.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Isn't that what playmaking is? I equate moving the chains with ability. Brady has that ability. Brady completes plays, he doesn't make them. When they break down he doesn't have the abilities of a Mahomes.

Well sure, in that case Jason Williams of Sacramento Kings fame was one of the greatest playmakers of all time. But you'd have to limit the appraisal to highlight reels, not results.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Well sure, in that case Jason Williams of Sacramento Kings fame was one of the greatest playmakers of all time. But you'd have to limit the appraisal to highlight reels, not results.

Mahomes playmaiking results in moving the chains and scoring. Brady moves the chains and scores within the confines of the play called. When the play breaks down the play fails.

It's a known fact when Brady is pressured he gets frustrated and has itchy feet. When the play breaks down Mahomes gets going and makes a play a play that sometimes has results like moving the chains and scoring.

Brady is a technician, Patrick is a playmaker.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Mahomes playmaiking results in moving the chains and scoring. Brady moves the chains and scores within the confines of the play called.

You lost me with the first two sentences. I'm not even sure where to begin.

Brady calls many of his own plays. Not only does he give guidance during pregame meetings to Arians and Leftwich, he changes plays based on what he sees prior to the snap. Even Arians recalled a pregame meeting where they told Brady what to expect on defense. Brady who wasn't even from the NFC told them that wasn't how that team was going play them defensively, then outlined what the defense would look like and how'd they'd exploit it. And Brady was right, that was exactly how the opposing team tried to play them defensively. I'll go further. Not only does Brady call the play during the audible, he also calls out the pass protection blocking assignments to his linemen.

Does Mahomes do that? No.

Playmaking isn't acting like Curly Howard on the gridiron.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject:

Why did Brady have that ten year drought in the middle of his career? He could have ten or more rings if not for that.

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Why did Brady have that ten year drought in the middle of his career? He could have ten or more rings if not for that.

You may want to take a look at the supporting cast. New England drafts weren't good but they did manage to sign a few aging stars. Brady won the MVP in a couple of those years throwing to guys who weren't even household names in their own households.

What is remarkable was his ability to elevate those teams and take them on deep playoff runs. That's what really separates him from all the other great QBs in the past.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

You may want to take a look at the supporting cast. New England drafts weren't good but they did manage to sign a few aging stars. Brady won the MVP in a couple of those years throwing to guys who weren't even household names in their own households.

What is remarkable was his ability to elevate those teams and take them on deep playoff runs. That's what really separates him from all the other great QBs in the past.

So why do some people say Brady only wins so much because of superstar supporting casts and Belichick?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: