AD will be a top candidate for the MVP

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject: AD will be a top candidate for the MVP

Russell has raised the play of his teammates in the past. KD Poor George and Beal had their best seasons with Russ. I believe AD is next because of his abilities that fits with Russ skill sets.

“Honestly, it's the reason why I had the best season of my career playing with him because I can play with somebody like that. I don't care, people say 'oh he can't do this or he can't do that.' I can play with a m----------- who's going to leave it on the floor every night. It pushes me, it challenges me to play hard every night," George said.

“ like, I love everything about him. He's a great character guy. And his approach to the basketball game is what helped me have the year I'm having. And it helped us turn the year around. His level of accountability, you want that. He pushes himself to levels that you don't even think exist. And to be on the other side of that playing against him for years and seeing, 'Oh, how's he ge But what I love about him is that he tries to bring it out of everybody. He tries to bring it out of the 15th guy. A guy who probably won't play that much. But when he gets that opportunity, he wants you to play exceptionally well. That's what I love about him. He just wants to win. He wants to be the best player he can be. He wants to uplift all his teammates. tting triple-doubles every game? There's no way he's getting it.' To actually see that night in and night out. “ Beal
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject:

He should concentrate on playing 75 games
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
He should concentrate on playing 75 games

He’s done that already. You should concentrate on the Clippers lol
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: AD will be a top candidate for the MVP

Car54 wrote:
Russell has raised the play of his teammates in the past. KD Poor George and Beal had their best seasons with Russ. I believe AD is next because of his abilities that fits with Russ skill sets.

I don't see the Westbrook effect that you see.

Beal had pretty much the same season with Westbrook as he did the year before without him.

George's first season with Westbrook was a tiny decline, though he set his career scoring high the next season.

So I am not expecting AD to take some big leap. I'll be happy if he just stays healthy.

As far as MVP, it's hard to imagine AD being a genuine contender for the award if Lebron is healthy. Lebron will be perceived as the big dog on the team.

If the team turns into a juggernaut, I could see Lebron being a genuine contender and AD rounding out the MVP field at distant 7th or 8th in the voting.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: AD will be a top candidate for the MVP

activeverb wrote:

Beal had pretty much the same season with Westbrook as he did the year before without him.

My opinions about Westbrook are well known. When we traded for him, I decided that I wasn't going to be one of those posters who just can't let it go and who keeps spouting negativity. My opinions are unchanged, but I am choosing to hope for the best.

With that said, I don't see this magical Westbrook effect, either. More to the point, if Davis is going to be an MVP contender, it needs to start with Davis. Even before the injuries started, Davis was not playing at an MVP level. He had some big scoring games, but his rebounds, blocks, and defense were not at an elite level. Maybe it was just the short offseason. Regardless, some magical Westbrook effect is not going to make that guy into an MVP. Davis needs to rekindle the fire.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: AD will be a top candidate for the MVP

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
activeverb wrote:

My opinions about Westbrook are well known. When we traded for him, I decided that I wasn't going to be one of those posters who just can't let it go and who keeps spouting negativity. My opinions are unchanged, but I am choosing to hope for the best.

With that said, I don't see this magical Westbrook effect, either. More to the point, if Davis is going to be an MVP contender, it needs to start with Davis. Even before the injuries started, Davis was not playing at an MVP level. He had some big scoring games, but his rebounds, blocks, and defense were not at an elite level. Maybe it was just the short offseason. Regardless, some magical Westbrook effect is not going to make that guy into an MVP. Davis needs to rekindle the fire.

And that's not a knock on Westbrook even. I find the concept that some star "makes other players better" pretty dubious. A star can sometimes take pressure off other guys to allow them to do what they do best, but I rarely see the transformational impact that some fans profess to see.

AD is a great player, but thus far I see him as a Pau Gasol/Scottie Pippen class of star who is more content to be a #2 than a #1. He veers too much from dominating to passivity.

I question whether Westbrook will change that. If anything, it wouldn't surprise me if teaming with another star causes AD to defer even more and take his foot off the pedal at times.

There's a lot of X factor with these guys.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject:

His goal should be finals MVP or getting his second ring... the regular season doesn't matter, it's just a glorified pre-season, we better load manage the crap out of him
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Sure, why not?
1st team all NBA will do for me
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: AD will be a top candidate for the MVP

Car54 wrote:

“Honestly, it's the reason why I had the best season of my career playing with him because I can play with somebody like that. I don't care, people say 'oh he can't do this or he can't do that.' I can play with a m----------- who's going to leave it on the floor every night. It pushes me, it challenges me to play hard every night," George said.

“ like, I love everything about him. He's a great character guy. And his approach to the basketball game is what helped me have the year I'm having. And it helped us turn the year around. His level of accountability, you want that. He pushes himself to levels that you don't even think exist. And to be on the other side of that playing against him for years and seeing, 'Oh, how's he ge But what I love about him is that he tries to bring it out of everybody. He tries to bring it out of the 15th guy. A guy who probably won't play that much. But when he gets that opportunity, he wants you to play exceptionally well. That's what I love about him. He just wants to win. He wants to be the best player he can be. He wants to uplift all his teammates. tting triple-doubles every game? There's no way he's getting it.' To actually see that night in and night out. “ Beal

I don't think any Laker will be MVP this year. Too much talent on this team.

That said, I think LeBron will have a great chance to be the MVP candidate.

I think AD will be a legit DPOY candidate. If he anchors the best defense in the league, he will deserve it.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: AD will be a top candidate for the MVP

GameCock-MD wrote:
Car54 wrote:

I don't think any Laker will be MVP this year. Too much talent on this team.

That said, I think LeBron will have a great chance to be the MVP candidate.

I think AD will be a legit DPOY candidate. If he anchors the best defense in the league, he will deserve it.

I said candidate but they’re not giving any Lakers the MVP playing with two other super stars
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject:

You could very well be right. AD is more dependent on getting set up than most stars. But once he does, there’s nobody better at closing the deal. The Lakers now have perhaps the two best setup guys in the league (Luka and Harden are great too despite being score first).

He also just watched Giannis take his first title, and KD take the consensus “best player alive” mantle. If he wants to be in the conversation, this season is where he makes that marl.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
You could very well be right. AD is more dependent on getting set up than most stars. But once he does, there’s nobody better at closing the deal. The Lakers now have perhaps the two best setup guys in the league (Luka and Harden are great too despite being score first).

He also just watched Giannis take his first title, and KD take the consensus “best player alive” mantle. If he wants to be in the conversation, this season is where he makes that marl.

Not only will Russ set him up but he’s gonna encourage him
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject:

MVP of the infirmary ward maybe! I just don't believe AD is durible for more than 50 games and even if he can go for 70+ to qualify for MVP, LBJ will siphen off many would be MVP votes.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject:

Disappointed in recent pics. Looks exactly the same if not skinnier.

Was hoping he went into beast mode ala lebron and really put on some muscle, especially legs. He would be less off balanced and would be able to take hits better. Get ready for some more falling on every shot.

Still...he can dominate as is.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
MVP of the infirmary ward maybe! I just don't believe AD is durible for more than 50 games and even if he can go for 70+ to qualify for MVP, LBJ will siphen off many would be MVP votes.

Not sure what AD you’re talking about but the one we’re talking about always plays more than 50. The one year he didn’t was last year.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject:

I think it’s probably Doncic’s award to lose.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject:

Doubt it, AD is made of glass. He will miss too many games this year to be considered a serious MVP threat.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Doncic will always be one of the preseason guys in the running, but I see no reason why he has a better chance this year than Lebron, Giannis, Durant, Curry, Jokic, or Embiid.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Doncic will always be one of the preseason guys in the running, but I see no reason why he has a better chance this year than Lebron, Giannis, Durant, Curry, Jokic, or Embiid.

He has a better chance because they chose him already like they did joker
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Don't see it to be honest, at this point I think AD is what he is. He just doesn't have THAT mentality.

I do hope he will be in the running for DPOY.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: