BUBBLE TITLE - ASTERISK OR NOT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

DOES THE CORONA CUP TITLE GET AN ASTERISK?
Yes
12%
 12%  [ 14 ]
No
82%
 82%  [ 89 ]
Maybe
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 108

yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Every championship arguably has an "asterisk" next to it. Whether it's genuine or just agenda based, I don't care. The NBA held a playoffs in 2020. It was during a once in a century pandemic, but it was an officially sanctioned championship. There have been strike shortened seasons too, which may have benefitted some older players with less games, but in the scheme of things, no one really remembers.

I mean does the Raptors championship count since Klay/KD were injured? Or how about LBJ having to fight the 73-9 Warriors with KD? Or how about LBJ losing Kyrie and Love? Or go back further. How about Perkins getting hurt in Game 7? Or Lakers not having Bynum/Ariza in 2008? You can go on and on, and it's an argument, but not a fact that the team that won it that year, won it.

this is silly. Historically injuries have decided a lot, but it's accepted. If a team relies on injury-prone players that's on them. Freak accidents also happen or injuries due to age, mileage, low pain tolerance etc.

What isn't normal, which in the truest sense of an outlier was the bubble. The world as a whole has a footnote during that time. So lets not act like its anything close to normal.

Our key players have yet to stay healthy or do anything significant without the bubble.

Silly? Dude, just call it an asterisk. At least you'll be intellectually honest with yourself. You claim it's not an asterisk season and then try to name all the reasons why it's an asterisk season.

I don't have asterisk seasons in my book. You play the games that are in front of you. You win or lose it.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Every championship arguably has an "asterisk" next to it. Whether it's genuine or just agenda based, I don't care. The NBA held a playoffs in 2020. It was during a once in a century pandemic, but it was an officially sanctioned championship. There have been strike shortened seasons too, which may have benefitted some older players with less games, but in the scheme of things, no one really remembers.

I mean does the Raptors championship count since Klay/KD were injured? Or how about LBJ having to fight the 73-9 Warriors with KD? Or how about LBJ losing Kyrie and Love? Or go back further. How about Perkins getting hurt in Game 7? Or Lakers not having Bynum/Ariza in 2008? You can go on and on, and it's an argument, but not a fact that the team that won it that year, won it.

this is silly. Historically injuries have decided a lot, but it's accepted. If a team relies on injury-prone players that's on them. Freak accidents also happen or injuries due to age, mileage, low pain tolerance etc.

What isn't normal, which in the truest sense of an outlier was the bubble. The world as a whole has a footnote during that time. So lets not act like its anything close to normal.

Our key players have yet to stay healthy or do anything significant without the bubble.

Silly? Dude, just call it an asterisk. At least you'll be intellectually honest with yourself. You claim it's not an asterisk season and then try to name all the reasons why it's an asterisk season.

I don't have asterisk seasons in my book. You play the games that are in front of you. You win or lose it.

I voted no asterisk. my response is on 1st page. I am just honest about the circumstance and how I define our players.

Buuble= healthy bron/ad
no bubble= broken down inability to last a season bron/ad
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject:

At this point who cares?
Lakers got 17.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:23 pm    Post subject:

I think making the point that the 2020 title is * is a slippery slope.

Because than you can argue that the next 2 titles are *..why?

COVID..COVID brings on protocols among other things that aren't normal and it is possible this can effect performance and chemistry were players would have to stay more isolated from each other than usual even if they aren't required because of the possibility of close exposure and having entire teams isolate. Plus testing protocols and the like..added stresses that weren't part of the schedules prior to COVID.

Best to stay away from the * title conversation I think
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject:

The irony with all this asterisk bs is ... the Lakers were the team that got hosed the most from the bubble.

If I recall we had the best record in the west when the season was halted.

When we resumed, it was at a neutral venue where the Lakers lost any home court advantage. All teams had the same resources/accommodations.

If anything, there were few to no distractions. You could solely focus on basketball.

If anything, the Lakers showed everyone who the best team was that season and won.

I am sure the naysayers would speak differently if it was their team or anyone else but the Lakers.

Whatever.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject:

If it were a regular full 82, we probably don't get the chip. It still counts but it didn't feel like a chip to me.

Plus I loath this squad and this FO.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Wed May 18, 2022 3:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Not having a parade actually bothers me more than the whole asterisk argument
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Who the (bleep) brought this trash thread back up?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject:

I mean there was 4 months off, no fans, couldn't leave the bubble like it was D block, no parade, and the lowest rated finals since the expansion of the NBA. If anyone else won the title I would be joking all on the Mickey mouse ring, but since Lakers won it, I'll accept it and use it in an argument, that the Lakers recently won the finals. I don't necessarily respect it in the modern era though.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Who the (bleep) brought this trash thread back up?

Only one man to blame: dbaw
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Pretty sure we all know who the 4 yes votes are.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
At this point who cares?

Exactly
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:
An asterisks in sports, is when 1 team played with an unfair advantage against other teams.

The Lakers, finished with the best record in the west. Because of that, they would have had home court advantage, throughout the playoffs. Due to the bubble, they ended up not having it, leveling the playing field and stripping them of an earned advantage.

The death of Kobe hung over the team and the franchise the entire season, a burden that no other team had to deal with.

According to the players, the bubble was stressful, tedious environment that really wore on the players. If you were to win the title, you would have had to deal with those circumstances for over 3 months, testing your chemistry and mental toughness.

The Lakers fought through all of that and won the title. Calling the title a Mickey Mouse title or labeling it as a asterisk is the dumbest $h!t ever. It reeks of jealousy and lunacy. For people, in this group to even suggest such a thing is very disappointing.

I mean, they had an arguably bigger advantage than HCA in the nicer hotel rooms. Nicer hotel rooms = Higher quality of rest and therefore better on-court performance. Wasn’t really a fair arrangement.

Lol... what?

Most people sleep better at their own home and surroundings. What are you talking about?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
If it were a regular full 82, we probably don't get the chip. It still counts but it didn't feel like a chip to me.

Plus I loath this squad and this FO.

Does the Spurs' title in a 50-game season (1999) count?

How about Miami's title in a 66-game season (2011-12)?

Should we count Milwaukee's title last year when so many superstars were out?
Roger O. Thornhill
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject:

I'll say the same thing I said during the bubble in another thread that asked if the bubble title would require an asterisk: if the Lakers win, no; if anyone else wins, yes.

The Lakers won, so no asterisk is required. It's not a difficult concept!
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:45 pm    Post subject:

A great defense was what won that title for the Lakers, along with a couple superstars who were healthy. Then again there are apparently a small number of posters here who have no idea what a great defense looks like nor why that would be important.

This team was beating the best competition in the league after solidifying and playing great basketball, particularly on defense, in the weeks immediately prior to the Covid shutdown. The Lakers didn't need a bubble series to win that title. Flat out wrong to claim they did.

Anyhow, glad to see poll results so lopsided towards not sticking a stupid asterisk by the title.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject:

No chance...if the Trash-stros don't even get punished for cheating to get a ring, I don't want to hear about a ring in which everyone played in the exact same conditions. Not to mention, we were rolling at the ASB. I firmly believe that we win that title no matter what that year!!

So I voted NO.
Dominic1981
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject:

The bubble format after the 4 month layoff felt like a summer league title for me.

Felt same way with the Dodgers, bc that regular season was only 60 games. It was sure a crappy year for LA to finally break thru and not enjoy it.

At least the Rams got a real normal one
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:15 pm    Post subject:

impossible

Who was not invited to compete?
Were the rules skewed to favor any certain team?

Better Title was what it was.. had to fight through a pandemic and mass chaos

No hookers or blow!! because no going off campus or putting your teammates at risk. Some teams had (bleep) players who got their teams shafted for going out and not taking (bleep) seriously

Lakers Won against the whole NBA.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Asterisk was No Parade
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:01 am    Post subject:

To be honest, I think the Lakers were screwed with the Bubble b/c the week before the shutdown, they had convincingly taken down the Clips/Bucks in the same weekend in marquee matchups. They were either #1 in the West and/or close to #1 overall. They were clicking on all cylinders so I think they would have been able to win the title under normal circumstances, and had the advantage of having Staples homecourt.

But we will never know, but we still ended up winning it regardless.

What I don't like is how this ring validated Jeanie/Rob's approach. Look at the team 2 seasons removed from the title. We literally traded all our elite defensive minded players for Russ of all people. Sigh.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject:

The break before the bubble helped AD/Bron get some rest, but it also hurt them for the following/ensuing season. The short turn around, you saw a very out of shape AD the following season and the team ran out of gas. But they had a lot of character guys like KCP, Caruso even Kuz who kept the team engaged. So we didn't see the real effects of how much the impact of the short turn around had on someone like AD and Lebron too.

So I could easily argue that had the Lakers had a full offseason between 2020 and 2021 playoffs, they could have done much better in 2021 playoffs.

In the end a title is a title and I'll take it any way I can.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The break before the bubble helped AD/Bron get some rest, but it also hurt them for the following/ensuing season. The short turn around, you saw a very out of shape AD the following season and the team ran out of gas. But they had a lot of character guys like KCP, Caruso even Kuz who kept the team engaged. So we didn't see the real effects of how much the impact of the short turn around had on someone like AD and Lebron too.

So I could easily argue that had the Lakers had a full offseason between 2020 and 2021 playoffs, they could have done much better in 2021 playoffs.

In the end a title is a title and I'll take it any way I can.

Good point. A team like PHX really benefitted b/c they won their games but didn't make the playoffs. They had all that momentum and then got to get an extended rest too which propelled them to the Finals the next season.

That 70 day turnaround after the 2020 title was insane.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject:

I mean it worked out, so who can complain? But the Lakers were #1 in the West, would have had HCA all playoffs until the Finals, where we don't know if Milwaukee would have made it, but they may not have. The rest also helped Kawhi/George, they were injured and similar boat to AD/Bron where the more rest they get the better it is. Only we really peaked at the right time.

We were playing for many things that season, #1 Lebron's legacy to prove himself as a winner in a Laker jersey (Washed King angle) #2 AD's mission to prove his worth vs all that we sent out for him #3 Kobe's death, the tragedy and the doing it for Kobe, and #4 Vogel/coaching staff to prove their merit as championship level staff (being ridiculed for being picked over the great Monty/Lue).

So IMO we would have won 1 title with that group regardless, but really the Lebron/AD window needed to be 2 titles. With better management we probably could have had 2 titles. Instead of trashing the 1 bright spot of the last 10 years, I'd like to see it happen again, and I think it could have, with better management. We really shot ourselves in the foot a ton, and people may look back sourly at AD or Lebron, but you don't win rings without great players like AD and Bron and that season they were special. The problem I have is how badly the management was for the pieces around them, and it robbed us of a second title run with them. Guys like AD don't grow on trees, and Lebron is a top 3 GOAT/Mount Rushmore talent. Forever will appreciate they chose to come to the Lakers and I don't fault them, I fault management for it being only 1 title. Bubble or not, they were too great not to get at least 1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
The irony with all this asterisk bs is ... the Lakers were the team that got hosed the most from the bubble.

If I recall we had the best record in the west when the season was halted.

When we resumed, it was at a neutral venue where the Lakers lost any home court advantage. All teams had the same resources/accommodations.

If anything, there were few to no distractions. You could solely focus on basketball.

If anything, the Lakers showed everyone who the best team was that season and won.

I am sure the naysayers would speak differently if it was their team or anyone else but the Lakers.

Whatever.

We also lost a starter because of the bubble, which never gets mentioned.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: