BUBBLE TITLE - ASTERISK OR NOT
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

DOES THE CORONA CUP TITLE GET AN ASTERISK?
Yes
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
No
86%
 86%  [ 40 ]
Maybe
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 46

Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject:

One of the few worst polls in LG history.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
I don't believe in asterisks in sports but I DO believe in CONTEXT.

Nothing wrong with discussing the details of how championships went down. Each one is different. There's no doubt in my mind that a shortened season plus nearly a half-year long hiatus between regular season and playoffs greatly benefitted a Lakers team with an aging LeBron (who has been injured 2 out of the 3 seasons he's been with the Lakers) and an injury-prone AD as their two best players (not to mention past their prime key contributors like Rondo and Dwight Howard).

I chuckle at the responses on this site though, because I guarantee had the Clippers or, god forbid, the Celtics been champions many of you would be the first to discredit it.

You guaranteeing it, doesn’t make it fact. That’s just your opinion.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject:

It is irrelevant. because IMO, 10 years from the title. no one will care it was a bubble title, just as no one cares about the 1999 title anymore, or any title like that. It is just an argument for the sake of making one, as players like Lebron won titles before and players like AD and Bron, when you team up the best big in the game (at that time) and the best guard, you always end up having a legit shot at a title.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Halflife
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
I don't believe in asterisks in sports but I DO believe in CONTEXT.

Nothing wrong with discussing the details of how championships went down. Each one is different. There's no doubt in my mind that a shortened season plus nearly a half-year long hiatus between regular season and playoffs greatly benefitted a Lakers team with an aging LeBron (who has been injured 2 out of the 3 seasons he's been with the Lakers) and an injury-prone AD as their two best players (not to mention past their prime key contributors like Rondo and Dwight Howard).

I chuckle at the responses on this site though, because I guarantee had the Clippers or, god forbid, the Celtics been champions many of you would be the first to discredit it.

I agree. Had any other team won it the backlash would be less, especially dog franchises like the clippers. They celebrated like they won a championship (just look at their social media) after winning 2 games in the WCF.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject:

September doldrums... can't wait for the regular season to start
mad55557777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

asterisk as " the toughest championship"? sure, i'd vote for that. keep in mind, Lakers were the number 1 seed, and they are the ones that didn't enjoy home court advantage. being locked in a bubble for 3 months can take a toll on your mental health, so i see winning that championship as a real achievement.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject:

No question the 2020 title was different in ways that make it harder to compare to other years. But if you listen to the players across the league, they have generally said it was the most difficult playoffs they have ever been involved in. IMO that is extremely relevant.

There were some benefits over other seasons, fewer regular season games (72), time off before the playoffs, and the lack of travel. But there were also difficulties. Players had restricted access to family, you had the events surrounding the BLM movement, and the mental strain of being confined to the Orlando campus. Those things certainly contributed to the outcome of the playoffs, but they don't make that outcome less valid or valuable than a 'normal' year. The Lakers themselves also had some particular challenges teams don't face in most years. Despite being the #1 seed, they won without home court advantage in any round. Because of the play-in, they didn't know their first round opponent until much later than normal leaving virtually no prep time. As an organization, they were also still grieving the loss of Kobe and his daughter.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject:

Not even close to an asterisk. Unless you mean title under the most difficult circumstances in NBA history.
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:21 am    Post subject:

Dodged the clips.. I'd say asterisk for sure
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject:

chrisca91 wrote:
Dodged the clips.. I'd say asterisk for sure

Brawn13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject:

No asterisk.

We played with the same circumstances as every other playoff team.
LGFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject:

who cares? internet fans?
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:14 pm    Post subject:

LGFan wrote:
who cares? internet fans?

And even they wont care anymore after another year or two.

Of course if a team you hate wins under weird circumstances you talk trash so I don't blame Celtics or Clippers fans saying things but i'm sure the majority of even slightly level headed fans just do it to be annoying and not because they really believe it shouldn't count.

We were pretty much the clear favorites immediately before the stoppage as well after those huge back2back wins we had against the Clippers and Bucks while also having the #1 seed in the WC. If we were trash before the stoppage and then suddenly caught fire in the bubble and won it all then i'd understand complaining a bit more but the best team pre-bubble was also the best team in the bubble.. Surprise, surprise....
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Are you kidding me?

Seriously, it is a huge NO.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: