No. 14 Roster Spot - Will be filled before Training Camp (Pelinka)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Jovan Buha @jovanbuha
4 minutes ago
Free agent James Ennis worked out for the Lakers this week, sources tell @The Athletic. As Lakers vice president of basketball operations and general manager Rob Pelinka said on Thursday, the team is looking to fill its 14th roster spot by training camp next Tuesday.

If I had to put money on how the roster shakes down:

1. They'll sign Ennis as BPA, since there is no ideal Kieff type, it also has to come down to Ennis understanding he is outside the rotation and he'd have to turn down being a crappy team's 9th or 10th guy.

2. There will be such a logjam of guards, one of them may get moved for a Kieff type near the deadline. I've got hopes for Monk, but watch him show flashes and not get PT and ask for a trade. Ennis being able to play 2/3 helps as insurance.

I don't see PT for Ennis unless he steps in and is lights out, but the idea of hesitating to sign him because his shooting is fools gold is weird. I want a big that can shoot or a bigger 3/D forward, but Ennis is the BPA.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject:

Ennis would get playing time if only because we lack bench wing players with length without him. This is especially true if he impresses Vogel with a solid defensive IQ and effort level.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject:

DAJ/Dwight (AD)
AD/Melo (Bron)
Bron/Bazemore/Ariza
THT/Nunn/Monk
Westbrook/Rondo (Nunn)

To me, looks like we could use a stretch big. Someone that could replace what Kieff would give us sometimes in those smaller 2nd unit lineups.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
DAJ/Dwight (AD)
AD/Melo (Bron)
Bron/Bazemore/Ariza
THT/Nunn/Monk
Westbrook/Rondo (Nunn)

To me, looks like we could use a stretch big. Someone that could replace what Kieff would give us sometimes in those smaller 2nd unit lineups.

I have been saying that, we need another PF. I feel THT can play some SF because of his strong body and reach
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
DAJ/Dwight (AD)
AD/Melo (Bron)
Bron/Bazemore/Ariza
THT/Nunn/Monk
Westbrook/Rondo (Nunn)

I believe Melo can play that role. I’m hoping for Ennis so that we don’t have to depend on Melo or Ariza defending 3s when Lebron sits out games. I know Baze can be play some 3 as well. I expect THT to do that too.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject:

Kobe said Melo was the strongest NBA he’s faced. Melo can hold his ground in the post against most bigs. It’s not like they’re going to beat him off the dribble. He can play the Markeif role better than Morris can. Melo is a legit shooter. Imagine bugs having to run out to the 3 point line to defend him.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
Besides Ennis for the backup 3 slot, I kinda like Jakarr Samson as an athletic, defensive-minded back up 4. Since we lost Markieff, there is a void right there going into the season. I don't think DeAndre J. moves his feet laterally well enough to try to take on this role.

My guess is that Jakarr's lack of shooting and play making is too much of a liability for our decision makers, but a defensive PF has value for a team with championship aspirations.

I like Jakarr. Versatile defender (SF, PF, and the 5) who is a very aggressive and a big time hustle player. We need a nasty guy on the roster to replace Morris.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Kobe said Melo was the strongest NBA he’s faced. Melo can hold his ground in the post against most bigs. It’s not like they’re going to beat him off the dribble. He can play the Markeif role better than Morris can. Melo is a legit shooter. Imagine bugs having to run out to the 3 point line to defend him.

Exactly.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
DAJ/Dwight (AD)
AD/Melo (Bron)
Bron/Bazemore/Ariza
THT/Nunn/Monk
Westbrook/Rondo (Nunn)

I believe Melo can play that role. I’m hoping for Ennis so that we don’t have to depend on Melo or Ariza defending 3s when Lebron sits out games. I know Baze can be play some 3 as well. I expect THT to do that too.

Rob Pelinka is excited about Carmelo Anthony giving the Lakers a player who isn’t afraid to shoot off of passes from LeBron James. silverscreenandroll.com/

Exactly your point
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:15 am    Post subject:

Who’s going to be the one chasing and guarding the Durants, Butlers, Kawhis, PGs? Last year that was Matthews. Who is it for us this year?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:42 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Who’s going to be the one chasing and guarding the Durants, Butlers, Kawhis, PGs? Last year that was Matthews. Who is it for us this year?

Bron, Ariza, THT, Baze and Ennis if he’s signed. All 5 are better then sorry Wes.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Bazemore this year is better than Wes was last year.
Ariza can also still guard well albeit in much more limited stretches/mins.
LeBron, come clutch time, will guard the stronger/more physical forwards Kawhi or Jimmy
THT will be an interesting defender for us if he takes the next step
AD is still AD and the defense will all be built around him

I think we'd all love a young Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson duo but those guys don't grow on trees and certainly are not available for the mimnum or mMLE.

Adding Ennis to the mix gives another mid sized forward who plays hard, guards hard, and last year shot really well from 3. That leaves 1 more spot for the buyout market should a guy like Love get bought out.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Bazemore this year is better than Wes was last year.
Ariza can also still guard well albeit in much more limited stretches/mins.
LeBron, come clutch time, will guard the stronger/more physical forwards Kawhi or Jimmy
THT will be an interesting defender for us if he takes the next step
AD is still AD and the defense will all be built around him

I think we'd all love a young Mikal Bridges and Cam Johnson duo but those guys don't grow on trees and certainly are not available for the mimnum or mMLE.

Adding Ennis to the mix gives another mid sized forward who plays hard, guards hard, and last year shot really well from 3. That leaves 1 more spot for the buyout market should a guy like Love get bought out.

Exactly, we're going to have to come at the big wings with a strength in numbers philosophy which I believe can still be very effective especially when you have AD roaming around. The good thing with this as well is that if the first guy picks up 2 quick fouls it means pretty much nothing as it's just simply the next man up and that also creates several different looks which is never a bad thing either. If we get Ennis the rotation of him Baze, Ariza, THT and crunch time with Bron isn't too bad at all. If it isn't working out at all, we'll be looking hard to address it come buyout time.

We'd all love an elite wing defender but that's just not realistic in our current position plus like you said we have Bron who absolutely still can be that for shorter stretches if necessary at the end of games.

I also fully agree THT is a massive wildcard and has the potential to possibly fill this void but i'm not sure he'll quite get there this season yet or not.

As far as stretch 5's go I also agree Melo is an improvement over every version of Kieff outside of maybe the bubble version which who knows if we'll ever see him on fire like that again for an entire Playoff run, I wouldn't put money on it. Kieff was also mediocre at best defensively which I believe Melo can get to (hopefully). I think we're going to get a fully dedicated Melo kind of like 2019 Dwight where he knows his career is wrapping up quickly and this could very well be his final chance at a ring. I'm obviously not expecting some great defender but I also don't think he'll just completely dog it on the defensive end which he was doing quite often the last few years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: