The greedy league is waiting until New Year to shut it down again!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: The greedy league is waiting until New Year to shut it down again!

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32883971/los-angeles-lakers-add-russell-westbrook-covid-19-protocols-sources-say

So, Adam Silver & league owners is being stubborn as at least 3 teams I’m aware of are once again suffering from COVID…

I suspect they want to get through the X-mas games & New Year before they shut it down? Money & greed is the evil of sports instead of doing the right thing NOW!!!

If this continues we’ll have a depleted & watered down version of match ups cause the NBA cares only about money! I never appreciated or thought starting the season after bubble was a good idea, coulda easily & gradually caught up if they moved each season back until they caught up to give players & everyone time to recover.

But as usual the leadership of country & states continue to be ignorant about safety. Thinking yeah let’s open everything up everything when weather gets nice (a.k.a. Memorial Day) & then shut everything down in the winter without getting answers, solutions & most importantly ending this virus that so called (world) brainiacs can come up with a measles, chicken pox, polio one time shot that will protect us 100% the first time!!!

It’s not about basketball or sports, it’s about HUMANITY!!!
HC: Riley
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject:

There won’t be another shut down
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

The season isn’t being shut down. And the money is the reason that there is a league.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

No one is going to shut down.

Small business owners are pissed off over 2020 and rightfully so.

Eventually everyone will have had or get COVID. It’s inevitable. Now that there is a vaccine, no business will shut down. They are tired of it and even the general public is tired of shutdowns.

What’s the point of a vaccine if you shutdown society.

Even if the world shuts down for 2 years. There will always be COVID cases.

https://twitter.com/thescore/status/1471604548947087361?s=21

There it is. NBA will do the same in relaxing back to play requirements.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/bakermayfield/status/1471606889612034065?s=21

Uh oh. Baker might get Kaepernicked
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, the majority of the country simply can't afford another shut down.. period. Many great small businesses didn't survive the last one and a second one would be catastrophic economically to say the least and that's not mentioning how I highly doubt the average person would not put up with it either again.

Money has been the root of nearly every decision and not just sports...

You can still do what you personally feel is the best for you and your family though.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject:

You use the words "suffering" and "safety" when just about every NBA player is vaccinated, with most likely their families included.

The NFL just laid the basis for the most rational policy. If you're vaccinated, asymptomatic, and have a low viral load... go play ball. That's what the vaccine is for, right?

Last edited by PenG_ on Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/mikevorkunov/status/1471613101892120579?s=21

Fyi on NBA discussions…
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:09 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Yeah, the majority of the country simply can't afford another shut down.. period. Many great small businesses didn't survive the last one and a second one would be catastrophic economically to say the least and that's not mentioning how I highly doubt the average person would not put up with it either again.

Money has been the root of nearly every decision and not just sports...

You can still do what you personally feel is the best for you and your family though.

I agree 💯% & think that’s where we’re heading!
HC: Riley
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers cannot survive Isaiah Thomas minutes
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

What would it take for another shutdown? A pro NBA athlete admitted to ICU on the ventilator?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Latest polls show the country is more worried about inflation than covid. If the NBA haphazardly decides to shut it down, it will be a political move and not scientific, considering subsequent strains are less lethal over time (courtesy of antibodies and natural immunity).
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

Eventually everyone will have had or get COVID. It’s inevitable. Now that there is a vaccine, no business will shut down. They are tired of it and even the general public is tired of shutdowns.

You keep saying everyone will get COVID in every thread. Why even speak that, and so consistently? Have you gotten it?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Frankly I don’t mind another shutdown. Let warriors and Suns hot start goes to waste. Waste another prime year of steph curry and CP3. At least LeBron already got a ring as a Laker
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject:

ZeroDark30_ wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

You keep saying everyone will get COVID in every thread. Why even speak that, and so consistently? Have you gotten it?

No I haven’t. I’m just guessing I will eventually no shutdown is going to stop a spread. Just like any other virus that goes around.

I’m hoping not to, but shutting down even for 5 years won’t do (bleep).
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Frankly I don’t mind another shutdown. Let warriors and Suns hot start goes to waste. Waste another prime year of steph curry and CP3. At least LeBron already got a ring as a Laker

I hope this is sarcasm and if it’s not there is gonna be a flurry of posters coming on you lol
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Latest polls show the country is more worried about inflation than covid. If the NBA haphazardly decides to shut it down, it will be a political move and not scientific, considering subsequent strains are less lethal over time (courtesy of antibodies and natural immunity).

Unless states or country start restricting/forcing a shutdown, games will continue. Perhaps at some point fans will be restricted, but I don't see any of that happening. There's enough capability to perform testing and vaccinations that it's simply not necessary.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: The greedy league is waiting until New Year to shut it down again!

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32883971/los-angeles-lakers-add-russell-westbrook-covid-19-protocols-sources-say

So, Adam Silver & league owners is being stubborn as at least 3 teams I’m aware of are once again suffering from COVID…

I suspect they want to get through the X-mas games & New Year before they shut it down? Money & greed is the evil of sports instead of doing the right thing NOW!!!

If this continues we’ll have a depleted & watered down version of match ups cause the NBA cares only about money! I never appreciated or thought starting the season after bubble was a good idea, coulda easily & gradually caught up if they moved each season back until they caught up to give players & everyone time to recover.

But as usual the leadership of country & states continue to be ignorant about safety. Thinking yeah let’s open everything up everything when weather gets nice (a.k.a. Memorial Day) & then shut everything down in the winter without getting answers, solutions & most importantly ending this virus that so called (world) brainiacs can come up with a measles, chicken pox, polio one time shot that will protect us 100% the first time!!!

It's hard to understand what you are ranting about.

The league and the players jointly agreed to covid protocols. This isn't a case of the league acting unilaterally (they can't).

There's no indication that the league has any plans to shut down. A lot of the players who are testing positive are asymptomic or have minor symptoms.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The greedy league is waiting until New Year to shut it down again!

activeverb wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:

It's hard to understand what you are ranting about.

The league and the players jointly agreed to covid protocols. This isn't a case of the league acting unilaterally (they can't).

There's no indication that the league has any plans to shut down. A lot of the players who are testing positive are asymptomic or have minor symptoms.

Ironically I asked the same thing in the FA thread on rather all these players entering the health and safety protocols are simply just a short term thing were players can return in a few days, there is a lot of drama being made about this... even Alvin Gentry was reportedly asymptotic.. among others I have no idea why people are making this into a issue then what it really is.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject:

That's the thing, though... even if they say transmissibility is going up for this new strain, how are people going to know if they have it without actively testing for it? Latest figures show that many people don't even know they have it: https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2021/12/14/COVID-19-asymptomatic-cases-study/3931639492511/

I see zero scientific basis for shutting it down with all the data that is out there. It's like that golf player (Jon Rahm) who tested positive, but had to shut it down despite outplaying everyone and a six point lead in the tournament. I suspect most NBA players are the same, given their physical fitness and age. And what about false positives, like with Lebron James? This is ridiculous and more people need to call it out.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
That's the thing, though... even if they say transmissibility is going up for this new strain, how are people going to know if they have it without actively testing for it? Latest figures show that many people don't even know they have it: https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2021/12/14/COVID-19-asymptomatic-cases-study/3931639492511/

I see zero scientific basis for shutting it down with all the data that is out there. It's like that golf player (Jon Rahm) who tested positive, but had to shut it down despite outplaying everyone and a six point lead in the tournament. I suspect most NBA players are the same, given their physical fitness and age. And what about false positives, like with Lebron James? This is ridiculous and more people need to call it out.

We currently don't know enough about Omicron to warrant these kinds of conclusions. The rationale for shutting down would be to protect the general population since NBA games are potential super-spreader events. Generally, yeah, god-like athletes are going to feel few effects from Covid, especially if they are vaccinated.

Not worth getting political on LG as it has gotten far more conservative here as the userbase has aged. But those are the counterpoints.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Bulls are hoping players can return in a few days

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32883394/chicago-bulls-hoping-return-practice-court-next-days-covid-stoppage

I’m expecting this sort of thing to come out regarding the Lakers as I think almost all the Laker players who are in the health and safety protocols are asymptotic.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject:

This (bleep)'s gonna spread alright whether it's the NBA, NFL, NCAA doesn't matter when 90% of the fans in attendance don't care enough to mask up especially when not being enforced by stadium personnel.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject:

College football has a slew of bowl games coming up where fans will travel across the country and pack stadiums. The NFL has games going every weekend. NHL is playing. Harry Potter is running on broadway. I think the NBA will not shut down unless all these other venues do as well.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Bulls are hoping players can return in a few days

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/32883394/chicago-bulls-hoping-return-practice-court-next-days-covid-stoppage

I’m expecting this sort of thing to come out regarding the Lakers as I think almost all the Laker players who are in the health and safety protocols are asymptotic.

The Bulls said that Lavine will be out through Christmas. If the Lakers were concerned they wouldn’t have signed Thomas, that move changes the player return criteria.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: