Facebook site down day after whistle blower report . . .
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 49077
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Facebook site down day after whistle blower report . . .

Coincidence?

I think not. And stock plummeting as well.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now


Last edited by DaMuleRules on Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 10017
Location: Boulder ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject:

In the words of Spongebob

"It's the Best Day Ever"

FWIW... the SuperStonk and WSB guys are blowing the lid off Brokerage houses selling/shorting shares they can never own

Debt Repo numbers are highest in history right now too
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 10017
Location: Boulder ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

Might make a thread for this one too


Is there is a chance the worlds elite wealthy have tried to hack the net today?

Pandora papers: biggest ever leak of offshore data exposes financial secrets of rich and powerful[/b]
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/oct/03/pandora-papers-biggest-ever-leak-of-offshore-data-exposes-financial-secrets-of-rich-and-powerful?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
Quote:
Branded the Pandora papers, the cache includes 11.9m files from companies hired by wealthy clients to create offshore structures and trusts in tax havens such as Panama, Dubai, Monaco, Switzerland and the Cayman Islands.

They expose the secret offshore affairs of 35 world leaders, including current and former presidents, prime ministers and heads of state. They also shine a light on the secret finances of more than 300 other public officials such as government ministers, judges, mayors and military generals in more than 90 countries.

The files include disclosures about major donors to the Conservative party, raising difficult questions for Boris Johnson as his party meets for its annual conference.

More than 100 billionaires feature in the leaked data, as well as celebrities, rock stars and business leaders. Many use shell companies to hold luxury items such as property and yachts, as well as incognito bank accounts. There is even art ranging from looted Cambodian antiquities to paintings by Picasso and murals by Banksy.



Quote:
*Walter Bloomberg
@DeItaone
BIDEN SAYS IN THE DAYS AHEAD PEOPLE MAY SEE THEIR RETIREMENT ACCOUNT VALUES SINK AND INTEREST RATES GO UP
9:53 AM · Oct 4, 2021
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1445054387160862721


https://www.reddit.com/r/Superstonk/comments/q15xan/titanic_20_bank_of_america/
https://franknez.com/bank-of-america-has-been-illegally-shorting-amc-stock/

and
Yellen: “America Could Default For The First Time In History”
September 28, 2021

https://franknez.com/yellen-america-could-default-for-the-first-time-in-history/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 05 Nov 2005
Posts: 10446
Location: Hoosier Nation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject:

Darn! What a fcking shame.
_________________
Not a legend
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
XTC
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 22 Jun 2002
Posts: 5996

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject:

^¡Qué lástima!'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief


Joined: 07 Sep 2001
Posts: 38710
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject:

There's no hack or tech glitch. This is all FB. Guaranteed.

The outrage algorithm started pointing at them and they shut things down. They'll get all hands on deck for PR and start working that trying to soothe things. The shut down will ride out some of the initial outrage. They'll come up with some BS story about the outage, but this is straight up damage control.

They don't mind damaging our daughters so they can make more money. MFers. But once it's found out that they have data on all this? The outrage need to be shut down. Can't wait for their BS excuse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 32644
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
There's no hack or tech glitch. This is all FB. Guaranteed.

The outrage algorithm started pointing at them and they shut things down. They'll get all hands on deck for PR and start working that trying to soothe things. The shut down will ride out some of the initial outrage. They'll come up with some BS story about the outage, but this is straight up damage control.

They don't mind damaging our daughters so they can make more money. MFers. But once it's found out that they have data on all this? The outrage need to be shut down. Can't wait for their BS excuse.


I was puzzled that a major company with so many software engineers could experience an outage lasting for, at this point, close to six hours across all its platforms (FB, Instagram, Messenger). As you note, timing is a bit odd to be the day after the 60 Minutes story.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 28270

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
There's no hack or tech glitch. This is all FB. Guaranteed.

The outrage algorithm started pointing at them and they shut things down. They'll get all hands on deck for PR and start working that trying to soothe things. The shut down will ride out some of the initial outrage. They'll come up with some BS story about the outage, but this is straight up damage control.

They don't mind damaging our daughters so they can make more money. MFers. But once it's found out that they have data on all this? The outrage need to be shut down. Can't wait for their BS excuse.


I was puzzled that a major company with so many software engineers could experience an outage lasting for, at this point, close to six hours across all its platforms (FB, Instagram, Messenger). As you note, timing is a bit odd to be the day after the 60 Minutes story.


It's not just the websites being down. Apparently, key cards aren't working. Internal networks are offline. Employees can't access conference rooms. Everything has gone black. DB is 100% right...this is all hands on deck damage control.
_________________
KOBE


Last edited by jonnybravo on Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 35351

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject:

Back to myspace. Looks like Tom is going to have more friends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff


Joined: 11 Aug 2002
Posts: 11016

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject:

What was my Compuserve ID again?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor


Joined: 29 Dec 2002
Posts: 12759

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject:

I've been thinking about deactivating anyway. It used to be more important in my life. These days, I check it for a few minutes each day, and move on.

Facebook has had a long and successful run. Nothing lasts forever.
_________________
¡Hala Madrid!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 32644
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
There's no hack or tech glitch. This is all FB. Guaranteed.

The outrage algorithm started pointing at them and they shut things down. They'll get all hands on deck for PR and start working that trying to soothe things. The shut down will ride out some of the initial outrage. They'll come up with some BS story about the outage, but this is straight up damage control.

They don't mind damaging our daughters so they can make more money. MFers. But once it's found out that they have data on all this? The outrage need to be shut down. Can't wait for their BS excuse.


I was puzzled that a major company with so many software engineers could experience an outage lasting for, at this point, close to six hours across all its platforms (FB, Instagram, Messenger). As you note, timing is a bit odd to be the day after the 60 Minutes story.


It's not just the websites being down. Apparently, key cards aren't working. Internal networks are offline. Employees can't access conference rooms. Everything has gone black. DB is 100% right...this is all hands on deck damage control.


Man, I’ve had this thought even before this scandal: Do I really want to use a website which is basically just surveillance of my daily life and also sells my data/browsing history to advertisers?
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57822
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject:

Live updates: Facebook whistleblower goes public with her allegations of deception

LINK

Quote:
A Facebook whistleblower says the social network puts profits over safety, and has handed thousands of pages of internal company documents to federal law enforcement.

The former Facebook data scientist revealed her identity in a televised interview on Sunday night.


Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp hit by global outage

LINK

Quote:
Oct 4 (Reuters) - Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp went offline for users across the globe, the social media giant said on Monday, as hours later it scrambled to restore the services after being hit by one of its longest outages.

_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.


Last edited by jodeke on Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Nov 2003
Posts: 3348
Location: 921SD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

anti-social media is bad for its users
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 28270

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
There's no hack or tech glitch. This is all FB. Guaranteed.

The outrage algorithm started pointing at them and they shut things down. They'll get all hands on deck for PR and start working that trying to soothe things. The shut down will ride out some of the initial outrage. They'll come up with some BS story about the outage, but this is straight up damage control.

They don't mind damaging our daughters so they can make more money. MFers. But once it's found out that they have data on all this? The outrage need to be shut down. Can't wait for their BS excuse.


I was puzzled that a major company with so many software engineers could experience an outage lasting for, at this point, close to six hours across all its platforms (FB, Instagram, Messenger). As you note, timing is a bit odd to be the day after the 60 Minutes story.


It's not just the websites being down. Apparently, key cards aren't working. Internal networks are offline. Employees can't access conference rooms. Everything has gone black. DB is 100% right...this is all hands on deck damage control.


Man, I’ve had this thought even before this scandal: Do I really want to use a website which is basically just surveillance of my daily life and also sells my data/browsing history to advertisers?


I remember a decade ago, there was a conversation here on cloud computing and I was insistent that I would never put any sensitive material online. Well here you go. Why would I EVER put myself at the mercy of anyone but myself.
_________________
KOBE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief


Joined: 07 Sep 2001
Posts: 38710
Location: O.C.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:


Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp hit by global outage

LINK

Quote:
Oct 4 (Reuters) - Facebook, Instagram and WhatsApp went offline for users across the globe, the social media giant said on Monday, as hours later it scrambled to restore the services after being hit by one of its longest outages.


Yeah, I'm sure they are scrambling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Posts: 18983
Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Good start, now let's nuke twitter, instagram, discord, and tiktok.
_________________
http://chickhearn.ytmnd.com/

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 49077
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
There's no hack or tech glitch. This is all FB. Guaranteed.

The outrage algorithm started pointing at them and they shut things down. They'll get all hands on deck for PR and start working that trying to soothe things. The shut down will ride out some of the initial outrage. They'll come up with some BS story about the outage, but this is straight up damage control.

They don't mind damaging our daughters so they can make more money. MFers. But once it's found out that they have data on all this? The outrage need to be shut down. Can't wait for their BS excuse.


Exactly. This was a self-inflicted CYA "outage".
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 15 Sep 2012
Posts: 26761
Location: La La Land

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject:

They all called me an idiot for keeping my myspace login. Now whose laughing! ME! And the 4 other people on there!
_________________
"Anybody have that same fire, that same passion that you have for the game?"

Kobe: "Westbrook plays mean. He plays mean like I did."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 57822
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:26 pm    Post subject:

I just talked to my daughter. She's able to post on FaceBook. I have an account but I never use it. I only have it to see what crazy my son and daughter are into.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
trmiv
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2001
Posts: 17340
Location: Orlando

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
They all called me an idiot for keeping my myspace login. Now whose laughing! ME! And the 4 other people on there!


Say hi to Tom for me!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Posts: 28270

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
kikanga wrote:
They all called me an idiot for keeping my myspace login. Now whose laughing! ME! And the 4 other people on there!


Say hi to Tom for me!


You know him too!? Small world.
_________________
KOBE
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
focus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 May 2012
Posts: 2121

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
There's no hack or tech glitch. This is all FB. Guaranteed.

The outrage algorithm started pointing at them and they shut things down. They'll get all hands on deck for PR and start working that trying to soothe things. The shut down will ride out some of the initial outrage. They'll come up with some BS story about the outage, but this is straight up damage control.

They don't mind damaging our daughters so they can make more money. MFers. But once it's found out that they have data on all this? The outrage need to be shut down. Can't wait for their BS excuse.


I was puzzled that a major company with so many software engineers could experience an outage lasting for, at this point, close to six hours across all its platforms (FB, Instagram, Messenger). As you note, timing is a bit odd to be the day after the 60 Minutes story.


It's not just the websites being down. Apparently, key cards aren't working. Internal networks are offline. Employees can't access conference rooms. Everything has gone black. DB is 100% right...this is all hands on deck damage control.


Man, I’ve had this thought even before this scandal: Do I really want to use a website which is basically just surveillance of my daily life and also sells my data/browsing history to advertisers?


I remember a decade ago, there was a conversation here on cloud computing and I was insistent that I would never put any sensitive material online. Well here you go. Why would I EVER put myself at the mercy of anyone but myself.
Putting social media aside, how can you avoid it though? Medical records/health insurance, online banking, utilities, phone backups, vaccination records, apps like whatsapp, etc - how do you manage to do avoid it when organizations like aforementioned seem to require it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 49077
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
There's no hack or tech glitch. This is all FB. Guaranteed.

The outrage algorithm started pointing at them and they shut things down. They'll get all hands on deck for PR and start working that trying to soothe things. The shut down will ride out some of the initial outrage. They'll come up with some BS story about the outage, but this is straight up damage control.

They don't mind damaging our daughters so they can make more money. MFers. But once it's found out that they have data on all this? The outrage need to be shut down. Can't wait for their BS excuse.


I was puzzled that a major company with so many software engineers could experience an outage lasting for, at this point, close to six hours across all its platforms (FB, Instagram, Messenger). As you note, timing is a bit odd to be the day after the 60 Minutes story.


It's not just the websites being down. Apparently, key cards aren't working. Internal networks are offline. Employees can't access conference rooms. Everything has gone black. DB is 100% right...this is all hands on deck damage control.


Man, I’ve had this thought even before this scandal: Do I really want to use a website which is basically just surveillance of my daily life and also sells my data/browsing history to advertisers?


I remember a decade ago, there was a conversation here on cloud computing and I was insistent that I would never put any sensitive material online. Well here you go. Why would I EVER put myself at the mercy of anyone but myself.
Putting social media aside, how can you avoid it though? Medical records/health insurance, online banking, utilities, phone backups, vaccination records, apps like whatsapp, etc - how do you manage to do avoid it when organizations like aforementioned seem to require it?


Exactly. Your info is already in play even without Facebook - especially if you have a smartphone. You don't have to put it out there. It is already being mined it multiple ways that have nothing to do with social media. That's why if you are ever on social media, you see advertising that has nothing to with anything you may have posted or clicked on there, but is still accurately targeted at you and you data.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 32644
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
focus wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
There's no hack or tech glitch. This is all FB. Guaranteed.

The outrage algorithm started pointing at them and they shut things down. They'll get all hands on deck for PR and start working that trying to soothe things. The shut down will ride out some of the initial outrage. They'll come up with some BS story about the outage, but this is straight up damage control.

They don't mind damaging our daughters so they can make more money. MFers. But once it's found out that they have data on all this? The outrage need to be shut down. Can't wait for their BS excuse.


I was puzzled that a major company with so many software engineers could experience an outage lasting for, at this point, close to six hours across all its platforms (FB, Instagram, Messenger). As you note, timing is a bit odd to be the day after the 60 Minutes story.


It's not just the websites being down. Apparently, key cards aren't working. Internal networks are offline. Employees can't access conference rooms. Everything has gone black. DB is 100% right...this is all hands on deck damage control.


Man, I’ve had this thought even before this scandal: Do I really want to use a website which is basically just surveillance of my daily life and also sells my data/browsing history to advertisers?


I remember a decade ago, there was a conversation here on cloud computing and I was insistent that I would never put any sensitive material online. Well here you go. Why would I EVER put myself at the mercy of anyone but myself.
Putting social media aside, how can you avoid it though? Medical records/health insurance, online banking, utilities, phone backups, vaccination records, apps like whatsapp, etc - how do you manage to do avoid it when organizations like aforementioned seem to require it?


Exactly. Your info is already in play even without Facebook - especially if you have a smartphone. You don't have to put it out there. It is already being mined it multiple ways that have nothing to do with social media. That's why if you are ever on social media, you see advertising that has nothing to with anything you may have posted or clicked on there, but is still accurately targeted at you and you data.


I see Facebook ads for things that I browsed on AMAZON. I have no idea how the algorithm knows what I looked at on Amazon. I’ve also heard people tell me that Alexa listened to their conversations and then they saw ads for the products they mentioned.

There’s this fin tech company called “Plaid” that some things require you to pay through. It requires you to enter your bank username and password. (Not a scam, it’s a legitimate company.) Supposedly it then mines your information and sells it.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB