Is it time to PANIC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
Vogel will be given some leeway unlike Ol' Mike Brown. The guy went 0-8 in pre-season and 1-4 before someone pulled the plug. He took a trip to Chick-Fil-A after his firing to ponder his next move with that $11million buyout (for coaching less than year).

Mike Brown was a scapegoat. He’s a mediocre coach, but the roster was flawed both years that he coached the team.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Panic, no
Concerns, yes

Winning is another thing but other than Monk's offense and Bazemore's defense, there aren't much positive things about this team in both games.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
Panic, no
Concerns, yes

Winning is another thing but other than Monk's offense and Bazemore's defense, there aren't much positive things about this team in both games.

No concern from me especially with so many pre-season games, there are still 4 left and for a veteran heavy team that's a tough ask. I'm sure we'll see a team with more focus on Friday at least in the beginning.

I will say there was a little frustration I guess since nobody wants to see horrible execution especially on the defensive end in any game but on to the next one.

I think Reaves has been a huge positive as well and the biggest surprise on the entire roster personally. He has a good knack for the ball on the defensive and is sneaky good which I was not expecting. Offensively he was looked solid as well.. Obviously he won't get many minutes in the regular season outside of blowouts but it's nice to see someone young and worthwhile at the end of the bench who has the potential to not be a liability on either side of the ball.

Like I and many others here have said countless times the only thing remotely stopping Monk from getting a bunch of minutes from the minute he was signed is his defensive effort. I have zero doubt he can light it up at any moment on the offensive end and he has only continued to prove that through the first 2.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Worried after two preseason games when Lebron and Westbrook haven't even played?
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:07 pm    Post subject:

It will be dooms day on Thursday when the Warriors make it rain on 3s and blow us out.
Jocinetu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Only thing that scares me is same as last year... injuries... If we could somehow
dodge major ones, we'll be just fine and Finals vs Nets will be epic!
twisted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject:

We need another PF. Should have kept Morris.
Ksig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:40 am    Post subject:

If we were getting blown out with WB/Lebron playing there would be some reason for panic. Then we would look like that 2013 super team where we got blown out every preseason game even with our stars playing.

Has Vogel said why AD has played so much and isnt resting like WB/Lebron? I wonder if AD isnt in top shape and is getting more burn because of it.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject:

joke thread but i actually think it's time to panic
Kobetan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:29 am    Post subject:

Will give this team the benefit of the doubt for now (new group, lack practice time together, Yada Yada.. ). But if a team of this talent level still needs Westbrook and Lebron to not get blown out by other teams with 10 or more RS games under their belt then we panic
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject:

Hard to evaluate a team when a top 3 player in the league is unavailable and the team's primary PG, then in addition to that an all-star PG is also unavailable. You've put together a lot of new pieces and you've not played your 2 best shot creators, while experimenting with lineups. Anyone who thinks this is the real lineups and minutes is kidding themselves.

Individually we can make some assessments. Such as:

AD looks strong but his shot is still not on, and looks like he needs more games to get his rhythm again. Melo has a hell of a post game and can still score better than anything Kuz gave us. THT, Nunn, etc. all look like they are bench talent so far. Monk is an impressive scorer, but his defense will be an issue. Etc.

Can make individual evaluations, but team evaluation can only be done when Bron/Westbrook/AD all play 25-30 minutes. Which I think will happen soon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject:

I know the thread is playful, but I do see reasons for concern.

- Our so called shooters are shooting poorly
- AD looks slow and sloppy, and his shots are not falling
- THT hasn't show any growth
- our defense sucks
- no sense of urgency, collectively, which is what happened last season
- rebounding is awful
- no offensive execution at all

Everyone will say well it's because our starting rotation isn't in there playing. And that, to me, makes it even worst.

- Westbrook isn't the best shooter. He gets his points on volume shooting, but he misses alot
- same for Melo, and Melo is a black hole player, in that once the ball gets to him, offense stops until he shoots it. He never passes.
- Rondo and Dwight are good at what they do, but they are not shooters
- and when all is said and done, we're STILL relying on the 37 year old Lebron to bail us out. Not a good recipe to start the season

So, yeah, joke about it, but I'm not liking what I'm seeing. Most of the other teams are playing their best players, and are playing with intent and energy. We're taking the same half-assed approach to the start of the season all ready, just like last season.

Dammit.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:44 am    Post subject:

I'm so concerned...I'm absolutely in panic mode....i can't take this...all this hope, optimism, expectations...all of it...demolished in 2 exhibition games...It's so sad...Lebron looks 45....Russ isn't even a shadow of himself...Oh wait they didn't play....nonetheless I'm a wreck and a good chance I will not be visiting this site any longer...I can't take the pain...LMAO!!!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject:

I’m only hoping those “panicking” are joking. It is pre-season.

The same issues discussed a month ago are showing on the court.

The chemistry of this revamped roster and the defensive/ offensive balance have always been the question marks for this team. It is likely to be a roller coaster of a season as they attempt to figure all the issues out.

Pace yourself.
av3773
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:00 am    Post subject:

Monk - winner pick up it seems...I like to see him start to see what that looks like when they run the big 3.

Baze - looks like a help on D

Carmelo - will get us points (one of the reasons I'd like to see monk start, let melo be that off the bench buckets guy)
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject:

My only concern is Deandre. He just looks uninterested and his effort on most plays are nonexistent.

That moment in the 2nd quarter when you can hear Rondo screaming at him to grab the board off a missed Javale 20 foot jumper as DJ just stared at the ball as the Suns got a easy second chance opportunity was ugly.

In another words Dwight would never. An with DJ’s length and athleticism he should never either, not too many bigs can out jump and out hustle them if they are fully engaged on every play.
Not expecting DJ to be playing like he was in his 20’s but getting outhustled by the undersized Kamisky and Jalen Smith is not supposed to happen.

Sure the hope remains that when Lebron and Russ starts playing they will open up soo many opportunities for the entire roster that everyone will go that full 110% on both ends.

Preseason Forum Blues...... 🤷🏻‍♂️
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

Yeah, DeAndre is done. Cooked.

The other role players will have to find their way playing along side the big 3.

Monk could have a huge year playing with 3 stars. Only question with him is can he be good enough defensively.

Reaves is going to play more than people think because he is a high IQ player that reads the game well.
krisobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject:

I think our bread n butter closing lineup with 4-5 minutes left in the game would be.....

WB
MONK
BAZE (PERIMETER DEFENSE)
BRON
AD
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject:

Just from my perspective on what I see

-- 3 returning players or 11 new roster players
-- 2 new assistant coaches
-- tweaking of the offensive scheme
-- 2 pre-season games
-- players unfamiliar with each others tendencies
-- hodge podge of line ups as different combinations are tested.

resulting in

-- players thinking instead of reacting which leads to
-- defensive lapses as players are out of position
-- broken offensive sets

All of these issues will work itself out as the rotation is stabilized. Vogel has already mentioned identifying and playing a set core of players during the season.

You can debate DS-RW, Kuz-Melo, KCP-Monk, AC-Nunn, Gasol-DH/DJ. There are +/- to all these player comparisons. We know what to expect from former players but need time to see how the new Lakers perform. Maybe just a bit more than 2 pre-season games.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

I didn't watch either of the games, but I'm disappointed to see how many of you are saying this. I was hoping that my expectations for Jordan were wrong and that he would bounce back. It could still happen, but the descriptions sound closer to the worst case scenario.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I didn't watch either of the games, but I'm disappointed to see how many of you are saying this. I was hoping that my expectations for Jordan were wrong and that he would bounce back. It could still happen, but the descriptions sound closer to the worst case scenario.

Only watched the 4th quarter from yesterdays game. He still has better than average athleticism to be effective on the pnr. He just needs someone who can get him the ball (i.e. Lebron, RW, Rondo). Reaves had a nice connection with him for an easy layin. Defensively he just seems to be thinking too much and looking where he needs to help his teammates which results in being out of position.

The one issue I have with most NBA players is their lack of aggressively boxing out when the shot goes up. DJ has this affliction. Contrast with Reaves who looks to body up on anyone who comes into his area.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:50 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I think it's a little exaggerated....he had 6 and 7 in 20 minutes on 3-3 from the field...no blocks....every time he would come over to help to block a shot nobody what put a body on his man so his man obviously would score. He did look slow closing out on shooters on a PNR...just as slow as Gasol...so that definitely has to improve.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I think it's a little exaggerated....he had 6 and 7 in 20 minutes on 3-3 from the field...no blocks....every time he would come over to help to block a shot nobody what put a body on his man so his man obviously would score. He did look slow closing out on shooters on a PNR...just as slow as Gasol...so that definitely has to improve.

I admit I have a bias from what he did (or did not do) in BKN last season. I was willing to see what he does in a completely different system, however the glaring issue I see is teams are directly hunting him and he is just really slow.

Teams will attack who they think is the weak link. This is exactly what happened with Gasol…so if Gasol was removed from the rotation for that reason, DJ isn’t going to survive because unlike Marc DJ has zero shooting ability and maybe 0.5% play making ability.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
King Randle wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

I admit I have a bias from what he did (or did not do) in BKN last season. I was willing to see what he does in a completely different system, however the glaring issue I see is teams are directly hunting him and he is just really slow.

Teams will attack who they think is the weak link. This is exactly what happened with Gasol…so if Gasol was removed from the rotation for that reason, DJ isn’t going to survive because unlike Marc DJ has zero shooting ability and maybe 0.5% play making ability.

I can see this....that's why I think Dwight is going to be huge this year....maybe splitting the 5 spot with AD...and DJ getting spot minutes...we'll see.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Get a dog!

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
Jump to: