Ariza out 2 months
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
Maybe the first time I've felt I made the clear right call in advance over a GM's decision.

Why does Pelinka not take the lack of forward depth seriously enough? Our backup players have been abused on the boards because we have rotations where 6'5" rookie Reeves is our power forward (and sometimes smaller than that!).

We have very little depth with size for the 3 and 4 positions and that's a huge issue, especially now that Ariza is a scratch for the foreseeable future. Carmelo and... who else off the bench?

Lakerz113 wrote:
Wes probably gets a call.

...so the answer is yet another 6'4" player?

Yeah something's got to change without Ariza in the mix. Baze can only do so much out there. Asking LeBron to become our main wing defender at this stage isn't going to work well either IMO. THT - still looks like a rookie on defense sometimes.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:32 am    Post subject:

I think the quick fix is to sign 2 players in a 2 way contract that can fill in the spot. I like brown and queen, ayayi needs to go.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
joeblow wrote:
Maybe the first time I've felt I made the clear right call in advance over a GM's decision.

Why does Pelinka not take the lack of forward depth seriously enough? Our backup players have been abused on the boards because we have rotations where 6'5" rookie Reeves is our power forward (and sometimes smaller than that!).

We have very little depth with size for the 3 and 4 positions and that's a huge issue, especially now that Ariza is a scratch for the foreseeable future. Carmelo and... who else off the bench?

Lakerz113 wrote:

Yeah something's got to change without Ariza in the mix. Baze can only do so much out there. Asking LeBron to become our main wing defender at this stage isn't going to work well either IMO. THT - still looks like a rookie on defense sometimes.

I thought James was the new PF, how does he now become the main wing defender?

I was not expecting Ariza to play much anyways. This just puts him on ice for a couple months. Still plenty of time to be ready for the playoff run where he is most likely to get mpg. That is assuming he has anything left of the elite defender he once was. Arguably he doesn’t.
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
joeblow wrote:

Lakerz113 wrote:

I was not expecting Ariza to play much anyways. This just puts him on ice for a couple months. Still plenty of time to be ready for the playoff run where he is most likely to get mpg. That is assuming he has anything left of the elite defender he once was. Arguably he doesn’t.

Well, that’s what I worry about what will he have left in playoffs? If you played basketball you know you lose a step when you get older, that’s a big problem when your guarding younger & quicker players through a playoff series!!! Hopefully if we don’t get Ennis, RHJ, or someone THT will get better as season goes on. Bazemore is another but both guys are on the shorter end. I believe we will get someone, even if we trade a guard for one later, but I like the young guys so only Bazemore would be available if it were me. We are definitely lacking a back up forward defender even when Trevor gets back. Dial 91Ennis or 91RHJ, etc???
HC: Riley
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject:

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
joeblow wrote:

Lakerz113 wrote:

Well, that’s what I worry about what will he have left in playoffs? If you played basketball you know you lose a step when you get older, that’s a big problem when your guarding younger & quicker players through a playoff series!!! Hopefully if we don’t get Ennis, RHJ, or someone THT will get better as season goes on. Bazemore is another but both guys are on the shorter end. I believe we will get someone, even if we trade a guard for one later, but I like the young guys so only Bazemore would be available if it were me. We are definitely lacking a back up forward defender even when Trevor gets back. Dial 91Ennis or 91RHJ, etc???

I continue to be puzzled by the overall stated plan anyways. I find many of the fan speculated rosters have contradictory expectations. The role James plays is just one of them.

Lakers have a lot to figure out on the court. Roles, egos, mpg, defensive effort, chemistry, and several others to find a competitive balance as the season progresses.

So far I’ve seen a lot of individuals, at some point the Lakers have to become a “team”. Interested to see how it evolves.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject:

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
alleyoop wrote:
Thank god we signed Ennis... oh wait

I heard we only have 14 guys gotta call ENNIS tomorrow & get him!!!

I must say that the Cult of Ennis is fascinating. I wouldn't have been upset if we had signed him, but he's nothing special. If our season depended on Ennis, we were screwed anyway.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject:

So noone wants to ACknowledge the elephant, uh eagle in the room?

And that’s why they call it a luxury tax folks. He certainly would be a luxury to have to fall back on right about now.

6’4”…pshhh! When an eagle stretches out those wings, it can always soar to new heights.

2019/20 Regular Season & Playoffs
https://go.nba.com/vgfg

https://go.nba.com/bjj8

2020/21 Regular Season & Playoffs
https://go.nba.com/xzxn

https://go.nba.com/63bw

Last edited by vasashi17+ on Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject:

I continue to be puzzled by the overall stated plan anyways. I find many of the fan speculated rosters have contradictory expectations. The role James plays is just one of them.

That's true for the pundits, too. I've seen all sorts of predictions about how the Lakers are going to line up this year. It's going to be interesting to find out what Vogel actually wants to do with this roster.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:51 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I would say waive if he weren’t a Laker legend.

I would say that he is far from a Laker legend.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject:

I think the statement was intentionally exaggerated... But still, trevor was a key part of our 2009 chip... So he's earned some patience.

venturalakersfan wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I would say waive if he weren’t a Laker legend.

I would say that he is far from a Laker legend.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

And that’s why they call it a luxury tax folks. He certainly would be a luxury to have to fall back on right about now.

6’4”…pshhh! When an eagle stretches out those wings, it can always soar to new heights.

I continue to ask... how would another 6'4" player (even if it's Caruso) help our significant lack of depth at the backup SF/PF positions? That's where the problem is, not at guard. Re-signing Markieff would have been infinitely more beneficial to this year's team (considering our current roster) than AC, and I love me some Caruso.

I mean, the man literally said he wanted to retire as a Laker five months ago, and Morris ended up signing in Miami for the minimum! Sure, his offense was erratic last season, but his D as a 6'8" big helped keep us as a top 3 defensive team in the league when AD was out for such a long stretch. He will be sorely missed on this team given our very small backup size outside of center.

We will have problems stopping midsize players on defense (when the bench gets to the floor) and get killed overall on the boards as long as this issue of poor athletic size in our backups goes unaddressed.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

I continue to ask... how would another 6'4" player (even if it's Caruso) help our significant lack of depth at the backup SF/PF positions? That's where the problem is, not at guard. Re-signing Markieff would have been infinitely more beneficial to this year's team (considering our current roster) than AC, and I love me some Caruso.

We will have problems stopping midsize players on defense (when the bench gets to the floor) and get killed overall on the boards as long as this issue of poor athletic size in our backups goes unaddressed.

I believe Trev will be ready for the postseason, but won’t play heavy minutes during the regular season. I really don’t expect most of our vets to put in that many RS minutes tbh.

It’s why we should have paid up to keep AC, cause THT is a work in progress at guard and Monk doesn’t have the chops to get it done on that side of the court. Nunn is TBD. (Playoff)Rondo is wait & see.

We do know however what AC could have brought to that end of the floor. That gives Baze a bit more gas to help in guarding the bigger wings. But obviously that’s no longer an option.

Btw I would have kept McK & Gasol (over Ellington & DJ) on the roster and gone with Faried at the 15th spot for now with Cam occupying one of our 2-way slots.

I do agree that we do need more size on the roster so Bron/Melo don’t have to overexert themselves during the RS, but I don’t know how anybody could dispute AC being a great option for us to have at the moment with Trev down.
Chick's Magic Johnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
joeblow wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

I believe Trev will be ready for the postseason, but won’t play heavy minutes during the regular season. I really don’t expect most of our vets to put in that many RS minutes tbh.

It’s why we should have paid up to keep AC, cause THT is a work in progress at guard and Monk doesn’t have the chops to get it done on that side of the court. Nunn is TBD. (Playoff)Rondo is wait & see.

We do know however what AC could have brought to that end of the floor. That gives Baze a bit more gas to help in guarding the bigger wings. But obviously that’s no longer an option.

Btw I would have kept McK & Gasol (over Ellington & DJ) on the roster and gone with Faried at the 15th spot for now with Cam occupying one of our 2-way slots.

I do agree that we do need more size on the roster so Bron/Melo don’t have to overexert themselves during the RS, but I don’t know how anybody could dispute AC being a great option for us to have at the moment with Trev down.

This certainly supports the argument that we should have kept our guards and used the MMLE on a wing. I really hope this team wasn't counting on 36 year old Trevor Ariza to start and play 20+ MPG. The logical move is probably to have Baze and THT split time at the 3, but I fear this will be the rationalization for moving LBJ and AD back to the 3/4 and starting a traditional center like DJ (who already looks cooked). Ugh.
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject:

Been preachin for months the lack of having a young, athletic, long wing was going to come back and haunt this team and here we are.

Season hasnt even started and TRiza is out 2 months.

The Lakers have a bunch of undersized guards trying to hold down the wing position and a 37 year old Lebron.

Roster construction leaves a lot to be desired.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:
Been preachin for months the lack of having a young, athletic, long wing was going to come back and haunt this team and here we are.

Season hasnt even started and TRiza is out 2 months.

The Lakers have a bunch of undersized guards trying to hold down the wing position and a 37 year old Lebron.

Roster construction leaves a lot to be desired.

A young athletic wing that has defensive ability and to shoot the 3 at the vet min is almost impossible to find. Not even at the MLE or MMLE from what I have seen. This is what Ariza was 10 years ago. He is now an older guy with the same skills in a diminished role, hence we signed him.

But when people talk about this player that does not exist, and do not get me wrong, I have been on the same page with you all on this that we could use one, it is always ignored that Lebron James come playoffs will be defending all the elite wings as will AD.

For sure if Ariza has this situation before the playoffs, we need to make a move. I don't trust Melo's defense either. However I do trust come playoffs, AD and Bron will bring elite defense if matched up against a wing. The other thing is THT. I do not know what his defense is going to evolve into, but on paper he has a freakish wingspan, and should be able to give 2s and 3s some trouble. I don't know if he can be someone we can rely on, but on paper if your defense has wingspan's like Westbrook, THT, Bron at the 1, 2 and 3, you're not going to be letting people shoot over you easily.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject:

^^^ Eh, I'm not seeing as much of that as you are apparently. For instance, when some of us have been clamoring for a 3&D wing, we'll offer a name of someone cheap and available, like Ennis. Even when clamoring for a replacement PF for M. Morris me and others will toss out a name like Jakarr Samson knowing full well he can't shoot or playmake (but he's an athletic, defensive back up 4, which is what we need).

Of course our stars will devour most of the real minutes when it counts. No one disputes that. It doesn't mean that the 2nd and 3rd unit can have huge, exploitable holes like it has now. This is especially puzzling because it's a self-inflicted wound in that...

1} Making Austin Reeves a full Laker instead of keeping him in a 2-way slot makes very little sense given our back up size/toughness issues at the 3 and 4 spots.

2} Why do we have soooooo many 6'"4 and under players on the roster?

3} Not resigning Markieff who wanted to stay here and went to Miami for the vet minimum is a complete head scratcher given the weaknesses stated above.

Even if Trevor were healthy, I'd still have the same concerns when it comes to our defensive holes and potential rebounding problems as a team.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
^^^ Eh, I'm not seeing as much of that as you are apparently. For instance, when some of us have been clamoring for a 3&D wing, we'll offer a name of someone cheap and available, like Ennis. Even when clamoring for a replacement PF for M. Morris me and others will toss out a name like Jakarr Samson knowing full well he can't shoot or playmake (but he's an athletic, defensive back up 4, which is what we need).

Of course our stars will devour most of the real minutes when it counts. No one disputes that. It doesn't mean that the 2nd and 3rd unit can have huge, exploitable holes like it has now. This is especially puzzling because it's a self-inflicted wound in that...

1} Making Austin Reeves a full Laker instead of keeping him in a 2-way slot makes very little sense given our back up size/toughness issues at the 3 and 4 spots.

3} Not resigning Markieff who wanted to stay here and went to Miami for the vet minimum is a complete head scratcher given the weaknesses stated above.

Even if Trevor were healthy, I'd still have the same concerns when it comes to our defensive holes and potential rebounding problems as a team.

I've been posting about this for WEEKS. Having a 4/5 capable player with some 3 skills - like Markieff - was the secret sauce that made a lot of our D rotations and spacing work in 2020. Kieff wasn't the youngest player, but he would have shored up our frontcourt rotations considerably so we wouldn't have to have 2 over-35 guys having to play up a position to give us backups at the 4.

Even re-treads like Faried and Beasley would've helped on that front - and those guys have already signed overseas, which means it might cost some extra money (if not actual cap space) to bring them back to the NBA.

I don't care how much of a spacing-and-gravity league the NBA is supposed to be - NO ROSTER can expect to contend when over half of its roster is under 6'5", and all but one of its frontcourt rotation is at least 33 years old. This is 2021, not 1971.

We're not a college team, we're not a summer league team. We shouldn't have to be playing 6'4" guys at PF, even in a preseason game. This is ridiculous.

We are now undersized, thin, and injury-prone up front, with a glut of guards under 6-5, including several shooters who will need touches/ PT to get into a rhythm. And our vaunted defense of the past 2 years no longer has, oh, a whole bunch of the players who made it go (KCP, Caruso, Kuz, Kieff, McGee, Green, Bradley).

I don't understand the plan here. Riley once said, "no rebounds no rings." I don't know how we can rebound without more size/ youth/ available players up front.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Vlade Divac pert II?
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:

You aren’t wrong Joe…it’s just slim pickings out there right now, but I agree outside the big3, there are many aspects of the current roster that offer little to be desired.

Even with Trev, he has it been the most dependable guy to rely on to suit up on a nightly basis during the regular season. So the problem in lack of wing length is a real one. One that could scrap AD at the 5 in the interim (which if I’m being honest, I have no problem with).

Quote:
Buha: The news is a blow for the Lakers on multiple levels.

First, Ariza was a projected starting forward alongside Anthony Davis and LeBron James. This throws a wrench in those plans. By the time Ariza suits up for the Lakers, it’ll be early December — at the earliest. The Lakers are going to have to go in a different direction with the starting group — and potentially bigger, sliding Davis to power forward, as the Lakers don’t have another rangy wing to replace Ariza.

Second, Ariza’s absence not only changes the starting group but the closing group, as well (and likely some small-ball lineups during games, too). The Lakers have preferred to close games with Davis, James and three perimeter players in the Frank Vogel regime.

LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
joeblow wrote:

I've been posting about this for WEEKS. Having a 4/5 capable player with some 3 skills - like Markieff - was the secret sauce that made a lot of our D rotations and spacing work in 2020. Kieff wasn't the youngest player, but he would have shored up our frontcourt rotations considerably so we wouldn't have to have 2 over-35 guys having to play up a position to give us backups at the 4.

Even re-treads like Faried and Beasley would've helped on that front - and those guys have already signed overseas, which means it might cost some extra money (if not actual cap space) to bring them back to the NBA.

I don't care how much of a spacing-and-gravity league the NBA is supposed to be - NO ROSTER can expect to contend when over half of its roster is under 6'5", and all but one of its frontcourt rotation is at least 33 years old. This is 2021, not 1971.

We're not a college team, we're not a summer league team. We shouldn't have to be playing 6'4" guys at PF, even in a preseason game. This is ridiculous.

We are now undersized, thin, and injury-prone up front, with a glut of guards under 6-5, including several shooters who will need touches/ PT to get into a rhythm. And our vaunted defense of the past 2 years no longer has, oh, a whole bunch of the players who made it go (KCP, Caruso, Kuz, Kieff, McGee, Green, Bradley).

I don't understand the plan here. Riley once said, "no rebounds no rings." I don't know how we can rebound without more size/ youth/ available players up front.

Yep! I guess they relying on a lotta triple doubles from Russ…
HC: Riley
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject:

Yawn.

Trevor is the 3-iron in the Lakers' golf bag. He wasn't/isn't getting a lot of run - he's on the team to play 10 minutes every 7th game when someone better is load managing.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
joeblow wrote:

I literally drafted a new thread a few days ago where the very first sentence was that Riley quote. It was all about how concerned I am by the lack of back up personnel to help out on rebounds at the 3 and 4 spot, but I ditched it because I thought it would come across as pre-season hand wringing while our stars are out. Team rebounding is a real, potential issue this season even if healthy.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject:

Can’t say I didn’t see this coming…
Trev was good when he was a Laker before however that time has come and gone and it might be time to part ways and creat another spot!
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Should have made a harder push for Otto Porter. Very little risk and a lot of upside.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Should have made a harder push for Otto Porter. Very little risk and a lot of upside.

Was saying the same thing yesterday and the mob here ran me out for saying Otto could've been had for the same contract Rob offered to old and busted Trevor.

Same sentiments re: keeping Kief and Drummond around.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: