Dave Chappelle: The Closer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Dave Chappelle: The Closer

Dude I had to pause less than 10 minutes into it because I can't catch my breath. I'm still there, about to press play again. This is already one of the funniest standups I've ever seen. Edgy, as usual, and that it seems overly gratuitous at times multiplies the wheeze factor. The man is a titan.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:41 am    Post subject:

Mf'er, gonna have to re-up my Netflix for this.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Mf'er, gonna have to re-up my Netflix for this.

https://www6.f2movies.to/movie/dave-chappelle-the-closer-72871

just turn on adblock. ez pz

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:54 am    Post subject:

^ Good stuff. Thanks for looking out!
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:07 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

always and you are most welcome jb

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject:

He's going to get a lot of sh*t for this special, but this dude is a legend. Just commands your attention with every second. Do I agree with him on everything? No, but that's not the point. He's hilarious and he makes you think. The true greats do that.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject:

Highly enjoyed his latest special, and laughed out loud quite a few times. Interestingly, he imposed his own sabbatical after this special, he knows he went in hard lol. Probably going to lay low for a while.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject:

I liked it but from a strictly comedic routine perspective, I thought it was doing too much focusing like 85% of the routine to LGBT material
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

Time to use that script blocker to check it out.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject:

I'm gonna watch it after the Wilder vs Fury fight.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject:

It is good! Raw as hell too! His top stand up still the DC one tho but chapelle took the baton from Eddie Murphy for sure
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:16 am    Post subject:

I'm the biggest Chapelle standup stan out there, so I enjoy all of his specials. I would put this one as one of his weaker Netflix specials (albeit still good).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject:

It was great to see Dave in action again. Of course parts were hilarious. I just wish he hadn’t felt the need to go on such an eff you mission to make a point about cancel culture. I get where he is coming from, but much of LGBT material was clearly just mean spirited and meant not to just offend, but to be pointlessly hurtful in its back-handedness. I know his point was to flip a final bird at certain groups before disappearing again and if it was somehow cathartic for him so be it. But he is capable of way better than what he did in a majority of the special.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject:

IMO this was not one of Dave's best. It was too politically serious. I didn't like the LGBT treatment. I got his intention but I think it missed the mark.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject:

You know Dave has made it into the realm of comedy's legends when we start debating the merits of his comedy specials.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject:

When Chappell said this was his last, did he mean last for Netflix or is he going on a hiatus? I remember he went to Africa once for a long break from the stage.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject:

It was good. Unlike some I like that he goes in on cancel culture. Artists should never be censored. Like Dave says sometimes the most uncomfortable stuff is the funniest stuff. If trans are offended don’t watch, but some of the outrage how he shouldn’t have a show on Netflix is silly. Why do some people’s feelings mean more.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
It was good. Unlike some I like that he goes in on cancel culture. Artists should never be censored. Like Dave says sometimes the most uncomfortable stuff is the funniest stuff. If trans are offended don’t watch, but some of the outrage how he shouldn’t have a show on Netflix is silly. Why do some people’s feelings mean more.

Why do some people’s feelings mean more is the companion argument to all lives matter. What it really means is I want my feelings/rights to matter more than others’.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

I think it’s great that he pointed out the hypocrisy behind some aspects of cancel culture. That’s a valid point and a reasonable course of discussion.

Dave went way beyond that. That can be done without being needlessly aggressive in attacking an entire community purely out of spite. And that’s what much of his content was. It wasn’t about a productive and healthy discussion about the problems with how we hold some people accountable for their words and deeds. It was about being hurtful and dismissive in an attack on the people themselves.

There was nothing genuinely or intelligently funny about some of the discomfort he tried to create. It’s not a question of some people’s feelings meaning more. It’s a matter of being aware that we all have feelings. Attacking people for expressing their feelings is as toxic as “cancel culture”.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Why do some people’s feelings mean more is the companion argument to all lives matter. What it really means is I want my feelings/rights to matter more than others’.

no it isn't. this is about comedy /art

If I stand up on stage and make fun of a segment of society because its funny that should be enough. However, If making fun of stereotypes is only OK if its about a certain group and not ok about others that's not OK.

Art is art.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Halflife wrote:

There was nothing genuinely or intelligently funny about some of the discomfort he tried to create. It’s not a question of some people’s feelings meaning more. It’s a matter of being aware that we all have feelings. Attacking people for expressing their feelings is as toxic as “cancel culture”.
His poking and prodding is part of this particular act. he hasn't been about only trying to make people laugh for a while. He wants to make you feel uncomfortable. Attacking people for expressing their feelings shouldn't get people canceled when delivered from his platform.

Creativity should make people think. If someone walks away from show disgusted or laughing that's good.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:24 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I have always thought at the foundation of comedy and art in general to a degree, no person or groups feelings are safe/protected. I am not suggesting everyone or anyone has to appreciate the comedy/art produced, but it should not be censored or restricted. Now I get that it is a little more complicated than that....as Netflix has to decide if they want this product on their service, etc. etc.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:48 am    Post subject:

There's nothing funny or informing about suicide. IMO that mention was cruel. It seemed to me to be a slap rather than an informing and comforting commentary. If he really reached out to the daughter I hope she cursed his ass out.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I have always thought at the foundation of comedy and art in general to a degree, no person or groups feelings are safe/protected. I am not suggesting everyone or anyone has to appreciate the comedy/art produced, but it should not be censored or restricted. Now I get that it is a little more complicated than that....as Netflix has to decide if they want this product on their service, etc. etc.

I won’t take us too deeply into the morass of discussing what makes art art (or not), as there is a great deal of subjectivity (including the concept of whose ox is gored). Then there is the further blurring of entertainment/performance and art. And is something art if it is bigoted, or punches down on a vulnerable group? There is a ton of nuance inherent in these discussions.

I’d like to return to the idea of cancel culture or censorship. What precisely is the definition of that in this discussion? Are people individually or collectively allowed to have and express an opinion about art or art adjacent performances, including advocating for rejection and de facto banishment by lack of support and in fact outright opposition in polite society? If not, how do artists operate and make statements about things? There has to be a give and take, as freedom of speech implies equal freedom to respond to that speech.

We understand the concept well when we object to something. Very few people object to someone being effectively boycotted for things we consider reprehensible. It would not be a surprise or very controversial in the mainstream if a white comedian engaged in the use of the n word and vicious stereotypes of black people in order to make them the object of derision were effectively unable to find a significant platform (either broadcast or brick and mortar) from which to launch this act.

We recognize that funny can have both affirming and attacking qualities, and that jokes about inherent characteristics or stereotypes are fraught with an analysis of the relative position and motives of the joke teller relative to the target of the joke, and of both to the audience, and society as a whole. Power is a key component. It is rightfully incumbent on a white cis-male heterosexual comedian to tread more carefully on the subjects of black people, gay or trans people, and women, for example, then it would be for them to expound on their own communities, or in fact to comment about his cohort. And they would have varying degrees of latitude toward other less powerful communities based again on a lot of context. Context of intent, power, and relationship matter excessively.

Full disclosure, I have a trans son, and am hopefully as conversant as a cis hetero parent can be in a lot of the details and hardships of this slice of our collective humanity. The inherent confusion and shame and dysphoria of having a body and brain biology that aren’t harmonized in something as universally descriptive as gender, and then the pervasive bullying, isolation, mistrust, and downright bigotry of the world in the sense of individuals and institutions is harrowing. And while trans men face the deeply emasculating sense of not being accepted as real and full men, it seems far worse for trans women, who are portrayed as lascivious predators and child molesters (remember, it isn’t trans men having access to the men’s bathroom that is the root of the panic about bathroom assignments, but the concept of women who “are really men” having access to the women’s room, and to unsuspecting child victims). Many men are terrified of them and many women consider them unwelcome and unworthy interlopers, and the field of athletics has become a terrible battlefield to air these sensibilities in a realm of “safety” (because there is a legitimate gray area about competitive balance), when they are really more tribal and specific (you can’t truly be and feel what a woman feels because you “became” one). It’s the new extension of homophobia, misogyny, and racism.

There’s a reason the “anti cancel culture” movement is most prevalent across demographics that are usually combinations of male, white, hetero, Christian, and conservative/libertarian (there are some really strange coalitions that develop, but that’s another subject). And it is fraught with misuse of terms like censorship and freedom of speech, and the concept, like has been espoused in this thread, that if you don’t like someone’s views you should just ignore them, and that there isn’t a reciprocal relationship to freedom of speech, and rejection of the idea that public speech comes with consequences, even if it is legal speech.

I agree with mr chapelle that there are times and circumstances where the pushback against speech can be more forceful and self righteous and excessive than is necessary. And I agree that there can be a chilling groupthink of over the top outrage and shunning that limits the ability of performers to effectively or willingly participate in certain venues. That’s a separate point from whether it is moral or ethical to engage in or to passively accept without calling out activities or statements or performances that demean and perpetuate the oppression of people. And the argument becomes where is that line. It’s not about one group having more right to feelings than another, it’s about the balance of power and intention. Acting in a racist or misogynistic or trans or homophobic way (as examples) is not morally equivalent to being called out or shunned over it, however. And it is not painted over by artistic license either. And engaging in a mean spirited savaging of a vulnerable group even if merely to make a morally defensible point about another group is problematic.

/rant
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject:

I don't think Dave hit the nail in the head on every issue (particularly during his latest special), but even when he is wrong I still find him funny. To me that is a rare skill.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: