We would be the favorite to win this year had we traded for Buddy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Andrew Evenstar
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 May 2008
Posts: 3494

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAhylgz1uOA

bballbreakdown on yt explains why this is not a good fit. whether he comes off the bench or not, coaching staff needs to make it work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Oct 2017
Posts: 990

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
3baller wrote:


Why shouldn't he be compared to Klay though?....



Yeah just stop saying he's as good as a healthy Klay.That's a joke to anyone that has actually watched them play. You can pick and choose stats to try and argue anything. Klay is a proven winner. Buddy has been nothing but a loser his entire career putting up empty stats on bad teams. Not saying he's a bad player or that he couldn't arguably fit better than Russ but he's not the kind of difference maker that would turn the Lakers from playoff losers into champions or the overwhelming favorites. If he was the Kings wouldn't be looking to trade him for Kuzma and the Lakers would have jumped all over that deal.


Hahaha that's some weak stuff. "I've got nothing but could you please give up?"

I used some of the most common, most relevant and most recent publicly available stats to compare the 2. Which of those stats that I listed can possibly be considered as cherry-picked? Please enlighten me.
_________________
Plan A - Schroder/Hield/Lebron/AD/Gasol
Plan B- Schroder/Powell/Lebron/AD/Gasol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 242

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
ducasse wrote:
3baller wrote:


Why shouldn't he be compared to Klay though?....



Yeah just stop saying he's as good as a healthy Klay.That's a joke to anyone that has actually watched them play. You can pick and choose stats to try and argue anything. Klay is a proven winner. Buddy has been nothing but a loser his entire career putting up empty stats on bad teams. Not saying he's a bad player or that he couldn't arguably fit better than Russ but he's not the kind of difference maker that would turn the Lakers from playoff losers into champions or the overwhelming favorites. If he was the Kings wouldn't be looking to trade him for Kuzma and the Lakers would have jumped all over that deal.


Hahaha that's some weak stuff. "I've got nothing but could you please give up?"

I used some of the most common, most relevant and most recent publicly available stats to compare the 2. Which of those stats that I listed can possibly be considered as cherry-picked? Please enlighten me.


Buddy Hield would probably look better than Klay Thomapson playing with Lebron and AD this year.

But we will never get to see it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BynumForThree
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 27 Feb 2016
Posts: 1234

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Source: https://theathletic.com/2921269/2021/10/29/tale-of-two-point-guards-how-russell-westbrook-and-mike-conley-are-impacting-the-west/?source=user_shared_article

> Westbrook is averaging more turnovers (6.0) than everyone in the league not named Kevin Porter Jr. (6.3).

> He has missed 19 of 23 3-pointers so far (17.4 percent). The silver lining? At least he’s off to a better long-range start than Damian Lillard (17.1) and De’Aaron Fox (16.7).

> The not-so-silver lining? Sacramento’s Buddy Hield, the player who came so close to being traded to the Lakers, instead of Westbrook, and whose spacing would certainly come in handy right about now, is shooting 44.2 percent from beyond the arc while taking 10.8 attempts per game (second in the league behind Golden State’s Curry).

> The massive divide between the Lakers’ net rating when he’s on the court (minus-9.3) and off (plus-12.7) is surely enough to keep Lakers coach Frank Vogel up at night.
_________________
If Brandon Knight were to come out, I would take him number 1 in the draft. - Magic Johnson Mar 27, 2011

For all of you out there questioning Jimmer Fredette of BYU, he is the real deal. - Magic Johnson Mar 20, 2011
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 242

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Hield is more one dimensional. He's a shooter and if his shot isn't falling he's pretty much useless. So many players that shot well on other teams have come to the Lakers and something about the bright lights and the big city and the pressure has resulted in a decline in their shooting abilities. I don't think Hield wins a championship.


Buddy is not just a shooter. You don't average 21ppg in one NBA season as a one-dimensional shooter. Buddy's spike skill is shooting, but his offensive game is far more refined than just shooting.

The Lakers would be far away the favorite with Buddy. The team has not had a legit 3rd option to pair with AD/Lebron and Buddy is pretty much the perfect 3rd option. He would be the best player Lebron/AD have played with since joining the Lakers.

He would also make Lebron/AD better. Lebron is great without spacing. Imagine how he would do with spacing?

Kuzma for Buddy was an absolute steal for the Lakers.

This team is winning it all:

KCP / Nunn / Rondo
Buddy / AC / THT
Lebron / Ariza
AD / Melo
Howard


I don’t understand why us average fan are better GM than frikin people that gets paid millions to do the jobs.

And holy crap for the dude that call Buddy Hield just a shooter.

I guess Klay Thompson is just a shooter too, he probably won’t even be as good as Buddy this year coming back.


Klay Thompson will without a doubt be better then Buddy even at 60-70% he's a completely different tier of player, c'mon now... He'll be fine offensively once he shakes the rust off for a month or so, it's defensively that will probably not quite come back the first year back but it's not like Hield cares much about that end anyways and i'm willing to bet Klay will still be the better defender between the two.

The reason average fans aren't GM's is because of how ridiculous so many "Average Laker fans" look after game 1 of 82 with a brand new roster.

Also, every year Bron has been here he's started to fall apart due to some random injury before the Playoffs outside of the Bubble year where he got 4 months off. It's kind of obvious banking on him being an iron man at 37 and being the primary ball handler and playmaker while also pulling down 6-8 rebounds and scoring 25-30ppg while also trying to play defense probablyyyyyy won't work. We already seen KCP and especially Caruso become trash without him for the most part and regular season Rondo is mediocre and also good for at least 1-2 injuries throughout the regular season him self. They're all fantastic role players and if Bron wasn't only getting older and didn't have a track record now of getting nagging injuries with our second best player who's in his prime and only a bigger injury concern then sure, that roster above would be great but it's 2021 Bron not 2012 sadly. Trotting out that roster is just a matter of when will he be run into the ground not if.

I'm not the biggest fan of bringing in Westbrook but it's kind of ugly and ridiculous how some fans are after 1 game.. Be weary and throw up questions but to completely trash the front office is just sad tbh.. We won a Championship 2 seasons ago and were the Favorites to win last season before Bron and AD kept taking turns getting injured to kill any hope of being healthy once in the Playoffs and some of you want to run that back? No thanks.....

People are saying Westbrook will never change but it was pretty blatantly obvious that was him doing exactly that on Tuesday night and trying to find his new role. No doubt he played bad but I saw a guy that was clearly trying to figure out his role and was livid at his own bad performance. That doesn't make the loss better but it shows theres hope.. You can either be a baby and cry the same thing over and over and over or actually root for a bunch of players that have never played together to learn each other over the long season and get better which btw is a very common thing to new rosters across all team sports. Most Championship teams look nowhere remotely as good as they do in the Playoffs in the first game of the season.

Let's give it at least 20 games before we burn Staples center down?


Do you still like westbrick???

How hard is it to figure out that he is a net negative player.
Players who can’t shoot and have higher turnover can’t never be a key piece in a championship team.

Anyone with any basketball sense should know this
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 20 Nov 2012
Posts: 20777

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject:

I never understand why Buddy Hield is so popular around here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 31 Oct 2018
Posts: 242

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:34 am    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
I never understand why Buddy Hield is so popular around here.


He can actually contribute?

What can Russ do?

Turnover
Low percentage shots
Bad defense
No off all movement
Need High volume touches
40+ M contract

Everyone you don’t want from player
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 40389

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:01 am    Post subject:

Missed opportunity! .
_________________
“God knew they couldn’t be on this Earth without each other. He had to bring them home to heaven together.”

— Vanessa Bryant
https://youtu.be/SX3IZULkWx8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
av3773
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Dec 2011
Posts: 3465

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject:

Hield is a better fit, offensively at least....but still not enough...with AD playing the way he has we'd still need one more borderline all star type player
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 19586

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:36 am    Post subject:

No. Hield is another role player with one skill.

The only shot we have/had for a chip was Lebron still being Lebron and AD playing like a top 5 player.

AD has not even been close, so we suck.

Imagine if the Bucks didn’t have a top 5 Giannis.
_________________
Any team want to trade for our pickup basketball players?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
WindyCityLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 18 Jul 2002
Posts: 1520
Location: Chicago

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:08 am    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I have a theory that Westbrook was always the weakest link among the original OKC trio of Durant, Harden, and Westbrook. They should have traded Westbrook for a big and kept Harden.


They should have let Ibaka go. Picking Ibaka over Harden was the mistake.


Or used the amnesty clause on Perkins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
levon
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Oct 2016
Posts: 5478

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject:

lol no
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Jan 2019
Posts: 1525

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
No. Hield is another role player with one skill.

The only shot we have/had for a chip was Lebron still being Lebron and AD playing like a top 5 player.

AD has not even been close, so we suck.

Imagine if the Bucks didn’t have a top 5 Giannis.


This. If Bron got injured and 2021/22 AD showed up in the bubble we wouldve lost in the 1st found.

AD playing like a top 5 player (Bubble AD was more like top#3) along with Lebron (who looks like he still is top#5)….and our guys not missing extended time…we’d be a top seed right now.

No role player we lost or didn’t get will have made nearly as much difference as Lebron and AD being the 2 best players on the court (which they were in 2020) With Lebrons age…his decline was to be expected (thankfully is only gradual so far) but to offset that…we really needed AD to ascend to “arguable best player in the NBA” status…which we were all hoping….after that insane Bubble run he had. Sadly it seems more like a hot streak rather than a sign of things to come.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 01 Mar 2020
Posts: 2557

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject:

People keep brining up this insane narrative that as long as LBJ and AD are healthy, everyone else don't matter much.

Its just outrageous. Basketball is a 5 man game. You keep LBJ and AD more healthy by having better team around them. Not by signing bunch on idiots who don't fit and except LBJ and AD to play at high level all the time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Nov 2016
Posts: 19586

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
People keep brining up this insane narrative that as long as LBJ and AD are healthy, everyone else don't matter much.

Its just outrageous. Basketball is a 5 man game. You keep LBJ and AD more healthy by having better team around them. Not by signing bunch on idiots who don't fit and except LBJ and AD to play at high level all the time.


Disagree here.

It’s so long as LBJ and AD are healthy and playing to their elite status, the Lakers are a legitimate contender and for sure a playoff team.

For them to be a title favorite, they need the right role players and fits around Lebron/AD as opposed to guys not willing to be a star in their role. Reaves is someone you want around. Monk, Ariza and Ellington are all competent enough on both sides of the ball.

I guess main point I’m trying to make is the Hield vs. Monk thing is not what makes or breaks this team.

Signing all minimum guys because of terrible asset management and suffering in that area, sure that’s valid. That’s why LeGM is paying the price now with this POS roster which has too many losing basketball players that no one is jumping to have…
_________________
Any team want to trade for our pickup basketball players?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 05 Sep 2002
Posts: 6946

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject:

It's more than a healthy AD that is needed. AD needs to be healthy and play at the level he did the championship season. He was a top 5 player that year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Posts: 14233

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject:

roger_federer wrote:
People keep brining up this insane narrative that as long as LBJ and AD are healthy, everyone else don't matter much.

Its just outrageous. Basketball is a 5 man game. You keep LBJ and AD more healthy by having better team around them. Not by signing bunch on idiots who don't fit and except LBJ and AD to play at high level all the time.

basketball is also not baseball, 2 top 5 players can really carry a team. LBJ and AD are pretty far off from their 2020 version or we wouldn't be in this position today.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
AD23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Jul 2019
Posts: 2617

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
I never understand why Buddy Hield is so popular around here.


Yup
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 3681
Location: Lake Nacimiento

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Nonamehero wrote:
hype wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
ducasse wrote:
Hield is more one dimensional. He's a shooter and if his shot isn't falling he's pretty much useless. So many players that shot well on other teams have come to the Lakers and something about the bright lights and the big city and the pressure has resulted in a decline in their shooting abilities. I don't think Hield wins a championship.


Buddy is not just a shooter. You don't average 21ppg in one NBA season as a one-dimensional shooter. Buddy's spike skill is shooting, but his offensive game is far more refined than just shooting.

The Lakers would be far away the favorite with Buddy. The team has not had a legit 3rd option to pair with AD/Lebron and Buddy is pretty much the perfect 3rd option. He would be the best player Lebron/AD have played with since joining the Lakers.

He would also make Lebron/AD better. Lebron is great without spacing. Imagine how he would do with spacing?

Kuzma for Buddy was an absolute steal for the Lakers.

This team is winning it all:

KCP / Nunn / Rondo
Buddy / AC / THT
Lebron / Ariza
AD / Melo
Howard


I don’t understand why us average fan are better GM than frikin people that gets paid millions to do the jobs.

And holy crap for the dude that call Buddy Hield just a shooter.

I guess Klay Thompson is just a shooter too, he probably won’t even be as good as Buddy this year coming back.


Klay Thompson will without a doubt be better then Buddy even at 60-70% he's a completely different tier of player, c'mon now... He'll be fine offensively once he shakes the rust off for a month or so, it's defensively that will probably not quite come back the first year back but it's not like Hield cares much about that end anyways and i'm willing to bet Klay will still be the better defender between the two.

The reason average fans aren't GM's is because of how ridiculous so many "Average Laker fans" look after game 1 of 82 with a brand new roster.

Also, every year Bron has been here he's started to fall apart due to some random injury before the Playoffs outside of the Bubble year where he got 4 months off. It's kind of obvious banking on him being an iron man at 37 and being the primary ball handler and playmaker while also pulling down 6-8 rebounds and scoring 25-30ppg while also trying to play defense probablyyyyyy won't work. We already seen KCP and especially Caruso become trash without him for the most part and regular season Rondo is mediocre and also good for at least 1-2 injuries throughout the regular season him self. They're all fantastic role players and if Bron wasn't only getting older and didn't have a track record now of getting nagging injuries with our second best player who's in his prime and only a bigger injury concern then sure, that roster above would be great but it's 2021 Bron not 2012 sadly. Trotting out that roster is just a matter of when will he be run into the ground not if.

I'm not the biggest fan of bringing in Westbrook but it's kind of ugly and ridiculous how some fans are after 1 game.. Be weary and throw up questions but to completely trash the front office is just sad tbh.. We won a Championship 2 seasons ago and were the Favorites to win last season before Bron and AD kept taking turns getting injured to kill any hope of being healthy once in the Playoffs and some of you want to run that back? No thanks.....

People are saying Westbrook will never change but it was pretty blatantly obvious that was him doing exactly that on Tuesday night and trying to find his new role. No doubt he played bad but I saw a guy that was clearly trying to figure out his role and was livid at his own bad performance. That doesn't make the loss better but it shows theres hope.. You can either be a baby and cry the same thing over and over and over or actually root for a bunch of players that have never played together to learn each other over the long season and get better which btw is a very common thing to new rosters across all team sports. Most Championship teams look nowhere remotely as good as they do in the Playoffs in the first game of the season.

Let's give it at least 20 games before we burn Staples center down?


Do you still like Westbrook???

How hard is it to figure out that he is a net negative player.
Players who can’t shoot and have higher turnover can’t never be a key piece in a championship team.

Anyone with any basketball sense should know this


I was never a big fan of the trade in the first place but once it happened I tried to make the best of it and look at the possible positives instead of constantly dwell on the "what if's" and negatives which was irrelevant since Russ was now in p&g.. I def. don't think Buddy would have made us any better though and now that comparison to Klay sounds even more ridiculous then a few months ago imo. I'll take Russ over Buddy all day which isn't saying a lot but Buddy doesn't move the needle at all if AD isn't playing like a top 5-10 player on both ends.

You talk about people not having basketball sense yet you're double downing on one of the most cringe statements i've seen from anyone here this season (and that's joining some crowded company) saying Buddy is/would be better then Klay. They're not even in the same league to be compared.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
hype
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 3681
Location: Lake Nacimiento

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
roger_federer wrote:
People keep brining up this insane narrative that as long as LBJ and AD are healthy, everyone else don't matter much.

Its just outrageous. Basketball is a 5 man game. You keep LBJ and AD more healthy by having better team around them. Not by signing bunch on idiots who don't fit and except LBJ and AD to play at high level all the time.

basketball is also not baseball, 2 top 5 players can really carry a team. LBJ and AD are pretty far off from their 2020 version or we wouldn't be in this position today.


Yup, if AD and Bron were playing the majority of games while being top 5 players like that season they would also easily make this current roster a top contender this season as well. Bron is still not far off especially considering his age but AD had a steep decline from what we saw that season not to mention both guys missing a big chunk of time already along with the majority of the rest of the roster also playing musical chairs and we have a recipe for disaster which we've all witnessed this season thus far.

We can talk about a role player here and there for sure but if those top 2 guys aren't getting it done it doesn't really matter much as far as being legitimate title contenders.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cital
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 25 May 2002
Posts: 3383

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I have no idea how much better we would be, but I do believe we would be better if we had traded for Hield and kept KCP and Caruso…. Would have been nice to hold onto Jones from last season as well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 36313

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Nonamehero wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
I never understand why Buddy Hield is so popular around here.


He can actually contribute?

What can Russ do?

Turnover
Low percentage shots
Bad defense
No off all movement
Need High volume touches
40+ M contract

Everyone you don’t want from player


Westbrook's ego and resume means he doesn't have to change his game....too bad as we need him to fit in. I doubt Buddy Hield would not change his game to conform to the team considering AD and Lebron's resume and accomplishments means he would have to respect and defer to them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Posts: 27397

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
I never understand why Buddy Hield is so popular around here.


Check out the guy we got instead of him (along with how much more we gave up). That's a big part of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2020
Posts: 2596

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
I never understand why Buddy Hield is so popular around here.


Check out the guy we got instead of him (along with how much more we gave up). That's a big part of it.


It's having Buddy/KCP/Caruso and the first rounder.

Obviously Russ is better than Buddy... but he's not better than having Buddy plus keeping KCP/Caruso and the first rounder.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Mar 2016
Posts: 3532

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject:

With how good Lebron is this year we would definitely look better with Buddy, KCP, and our first rounder.

THT probably look a lot better too with russ not here.

Hell i would’ve rather kept Schroeder lmao
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB