What happens with LeBron this summer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What happens to LeBron?
He signs a extension to stay in LA
53%
 53%  [ 15 ]
The FO decides to trade him for assets
35%
 35%  [ 10 ]
LeBron publicly demands a trade
10%
 10%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 28

Author Message
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 38993

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: What happens with LeBron this summer?

Lots of speculation on what he might do or what the FO might do, the FO isn’t happy with LeBron right now so things might get intense in the up coming months
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 33621

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What happens with LeBron this summer?

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lots of speculation on what he might do or what the FO might do, the FO isn’t happy with LeBron right now so things might get intense in the up coming months


there are other choices. LeBron could opt out of his contract and become a free agent. the Lakers and LeBron could simply let him play out the last year of his contract, and then each could decide what they want to do after next season ends.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 38993

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What happens with LeBron this summer?

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lots of speculation on what he might do or what the FO might do, the FO isn’t happy with LeBron right now so things might get intense in the up coming months


there are other choices. LeBron could opt out of his contract and become a free agent. the Lakers and LeBron could simply let him play out the last year of his contract, and then each could decide what they want to do after next season ends.


If Jeanie offers him a extension he’s gonna sign it, there is no doubt about that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 14 Apr 2001
Posts: 141036
Location: The Gold Coast

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What happens with LeBron this summer?

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Lots of speculation on what he might do or what the FO might do, the FO isn’t happy with LeBron right now so things might get intense in the up coming months


there are other choices. LeBron could opt out of his contract and become a free agent. the Lakers and LeBron could simply let him play out the last year of his contract, and then each could decide what they want to do after next season ends.


The latter is what I would vote for, he plays out his contract. Eric isn’t showing him as having an opt out.
_________________
Between the things known, and the things unknown, are the Doors.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Jun 2017
Posts: 1818

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject:

I think he stays, sings that 2 year extension. Which also probably means we trade Westbrook. Which also probably means we trade a 1st rounder sadly.

Id offer him a 1 year extension, which might be closer to the truth anyway, because Davis has a player option in 2024 and his son should be at the draft that summer too. So James being a free agent that summer works for him just fine
_________________
17 99 19 22 44 13 25 52 33
32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3 Mic.

48 49 50 52 53 54 72 80 82
85 87 88 00 01 02 09 10 20
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 18 Apr 2016
Posts: 38993

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Emplay said this in his article today it could add a new winkle to the speculation

Quote:
The Lakers aren't likely to shop Davis unless the team and James don't agree on an extension. Should the franchise and Klutch Sports Group (representing both stars) decide to go their separate ways, the Lakers could look to remake the roster altogether.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
petergr
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 May 2012
Posts: 1347
Location: kiki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Basketball wise Lakers will be VERY lucky if Lebron asks for a trade. Losing the most popular player in NBA since MJ would be a significant hit on revenue.

Its not a good idea to trade a player like AD. Having a star makes it easier to get another. It could take another decade for Lakers to have a star again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 3636

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject:

None of the above.

My option... Let him play out his contract, and see if he is willing to take a little pay cut so we can build him and AD a better supporting cast in 2023.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 11860

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Whatever Lebron wants to happen.

I mean I think he's happy being in L.A.. But he also is playing for his legacy and the Lakers don't have a lot of assets to restock. They have Nunn (assuming he opts in), THT, and Westbrook really unless Lebron decided he is fine with trading AD. That probably doesn't give you enough to win a title. And I'm sure he wants another title before he calls it a career.

The Lakers meanwhile are facing a the choice of using whatever assets they have left to try to somehow get a team that can win it next season or blowing it all up. There would be a good chance that if they used all their assets they still don't have enough and then they'd be facing a long grueling rebuild where they don't have a horde of draft picks.

If Lebron looks at that and decides he wants out I think the Lakers just blow it up and accommodate him. They trade Lebron, Russ, and AD, or if they can't get a good deal for Russ they let him expire rather than giving up assets. They'd try to field a competitive team but their eye would be on the future.

If Lebron wants to stay you really have to do what you can to try to put him in a position to win. But you get him to commit to an extension in that case. You don't want him to walk for nothing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Jun 2006
Posts: 33621

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Emplay said this in his article today it could add a new winkle to the speculation

Quote:
The Lakers aren't likely to shop Davis unless the team and James don't agree on an extension. Should the franchise and Klutch Sports Group (representing both stars) decide to go their separate ways, the Lakers could look to remake the roster altogether.


I've never gotten the impression that Emplay has any kind of inside scoop. He just seems to generate opinions based on reading the same stuff on the Internet that everyone here is reading.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 28 Oct 2017
Posts: 990

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Bron would want to endure another year with Westbrook. If we aren't able to get rid of Russ, I think Bron just might maneuver his way and get himself traded without making it look like he was the one who demanded the trade. That would be my prediction.
_________________
Plan A - Schroder/Hield/Lebron/AD/Gasol
Plan B- Schroder/Powell/Lebron/AD/Gasol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 30 Mar 2016
Posts: 479

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Put me down as someone that thinks he will sign an extension. I don't want it to happen, but I have a hunch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Jul 2003
Posts: 4165

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Lebron will endure WB. Lebron wants to beat Kareem's record. That's all that matters. Whether it's with WB in the lineup, or some package in a Davis trade is irelevant. He is NOT stupid, and he fully understands that the Lakers are not winning a championship anytime soon regardless of what roster move they make. what roster move can the Lakers do with LBJ at 37 years old to win a championship ...... an old team, with no future assets ......it's not complicated

So he will play with the Lakers, beat the record, and go off to a team willing to sign his kid, plain and simple.


Last edited by paymonM on Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Posts: 8688

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject:

I'm trying to manifest option #2, speak it into existence.
_________________

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
2019
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 03 Dec 2014
Posts: 9315

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
I don't think Bron would want to endure another year with Westbrook. If we aren't able to get rid of Russ, I think Bron just might maneuver his way and get himself traded without making it look like he was the one who demanded the trade. That would be my prediction.


LeBron doesn't want to be traded IMO. Not something he wants as part of his legacy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 17 Nov 2007
Posts: 60234
Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is consider a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject:

LeBron fills seats. You don't trade your box office player. 2 year extention. 2nd year option.
_________________
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 25761
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject:

paymonM wrote:
Lebron will endure WB. Lebron wants to beat Kareem's record. That's all that matters. Whether it's with WB in the lineup, or some package in a Davis trade is irelevant. He is NOT stupid, and he fully understands that the Lakers are not winning a championship anytime soon regardless of what roster move they make. what roster move can the Lakers do with LBJ at 37 years old to win a championship ...... an old team, with no future assets ......it's not complicated

So he will play with the Lakers, beat the record, and go off to a team willing to sign his kid, plain and simple.


He will probably be a Laker next season, but having said that, he doesn't have to be a Laker to break Kareem's record. He's going to break Kareem's record if he doesn't miss a whole slew of games next season (which is admittedly possible). Still, yeah, he's going to break that record no matter what uniform he's wearing. Now, is there more pomp and circumstance if he does it as a Laker? Maybe, but I doubt that is going to be the main reason he re-ups with the Lakers if he chooses to.

I think we'll try to find a suitable Westbrook trade, but I believe the situation between LeBron and Westbrook is untenable. If they can't find a suitable trade that will make LeBron think that we can be a contender, I think he might ask out. At that point, I'd honestly be fine with it. We won a title in his 4 years here and perhaps we could get back some decent assets and move on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
cycl0nus
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 17 Dec 2004
Posts: 1453

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Emplay said this in his article today it could add a new winkle to the speculation

Quote:
The Lakers aren't likely to shop Davis unless the team and James don't agree on an extension. Should the franchise and Klutch Sports Group (representing both stars) decide to go their separate ways, the Lakers could look to remake the roster altogether.


I've never gotten the impression that Emplay has any kind of inside scoop. He just seems to generate opinions based on reading the same stuff on the Internet that everyone here is reading.


this. emplay has no connections. he failed miserably a number of years ago on predicting some big trade or move (can't remember now). but i remember this guy proclaiming things were going to happen and then of course it all backfired along with his credibility
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2020
Posts: 2596

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakers attendance

2010 99.7% Last Kobe title
2011 99.7%
2012 99.7% Signed 20 year cable deal for 3 billion
2013 99.6% Dwight/Nash season
2014 98.8% Kobe recovering from torn Achilles
2015 98.3% Head of the snake season/drafted Jules and Clarkson
2016 99.7% Drafted DLo/LNJ = Kobe retires
2017 99.4% Drafted Ingram/Zubac
2018 99.3% Drafted Lonzo/Josh Hart/Kuzma/T. Bryant
2019 99.7% Signed LBJ/Drafted Mo and Svi
2020 99.6% Won bubble title/Traded for AD
2021 Covid Acquired Schroder and Trezz
2022 97.8% Traded for Russ

I get there are jersey sales... but I don't see a big uptick in attendance for LBJ compared to the kids.

Our TV deal doesn't expire until 2032

So where is the economic benefit for this sh*t team?

Space Jam 2 was a huge flop.

I don't see any upside except for the LeBron stans and Klutch interns who want to watch him statpad and play with Bronny.

People keep saying Jeanie will do it for the money... except I'm not seeing where the money is with a declining superstar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 25761
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject:

^
I think it has something to do with the pandemic and as an example, LA Kings attendance is way down this year, and Kings fans have always packed the building to capacity or near capacity every year, even in down years, and there have been a few of those since Staples/Crypto opened.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 23 Jul 2020
Posts: 2596

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I think it has something to do with the pandemic and as an example, LA Kings attendance is way down this year, and Kings fans have always packed the building to capacity or near capacity every year, even in down years, and there have been a few of those since Staples/Crypto opened.


Oh, I get that... but I think people overestimate the current box office power of LBJ.

If we were winning... sure... I can see the value... but if we are another seven or eight seed team just standing around watching LBJ's stats grow... I don't think we'd really gain in ticket sales.

If Kobe or Magic had a son who played... I could see Lakers fans enjoying that... but only diehard Bron fans are going to want to see us give up three years of rebuilding for the Bronny/LBJ father son season.

LBJ's value is in his incredible skill as a basketball player. He's never really had all that much charisma. Once his skills diminish... I don't think people are going to love watching him play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Apr 2015
Posts: 25761
Location: Anaheim, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject:

^
LeBron brings an obvious cache to a team, though. Tons of nationally televised games, global prestige since he's such a worldwide star, etc. I know the Lakers already are a global brand, but LeBron enhances that a bit.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Jul 2001
Posts: 11486

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:27 am    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
Basketball wise Lakers will be VERY lucky if Lebron asks for a trade. Losing the most popular player in NBA since MJ would be a significant hit on revenue.

Its not a good idea to trade a player like AD. Having a star makes it easier to get another. It could take another decade for Lakers to have a star again.


Losing games is a significant hit on revenue. But since they're going to lose games regardless, better to reduce payroll while you're at it.

And I don't think a lot of guys are wanting to play with AD. Jokic isn't going to be begging to leave Denver to play for a non-contender with a part-time AD. Ditto for any other big name in 2023 free agency. And, as with the pre-Lebron years, the team's dysfunction in ownership and FO is obvious to any potential FA. The brand will be as toxic as it was prior to landing Lebron. AD alone doesn't help that.

Maybe if AD gets and stays healthy and suddenly finds some competitive spirit again and desire to win, sure, he's a draw. But if he doesn't show that championship level play again you might as well part ways and sell, if not high, before rock bottom.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 29 Nov 2018
Posts: 3636

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Lakers attendance

2010 99.7% Last Kobe title
2011 99.7%
2012 99.7% Signed 20 year cable deal for 3 billion
2013 99.6% Dwight/Nash season
2014 98.8% Kobe recovering from torn Achilles
2015 98.3% Head of the snake season/drafted Jules and Clarkson
2016 99.7% Drafted DLo/LNJ = Kobe retires
2017 99.4% Drafted Ingram/Zubac
2018 99.3% Drafted Lonzo/Josh Hart/Kuzma/T. Bryant
2019 99.7% Signed LBJ/Drafted Mo and Svi
2020 99.6% Won bubble title/Traded for AD
2021 Covid Acquired Schroder and Trezz
2022 97.8% Traded for Russ

I get there are jersey sales... but I don't see a big uptick in attendance for LBJ compared to the kids.

Our TV deal doesn't expire until 2032

So where is the economic benefit for this sh*t team?

Space Jam 2 was a huge flop.

I don't see any upside except for the LeBron stans and Klutch interns who want to watch him statpad and play with Bronny.

People keep saying Jeanie will do it for the money... except I'm not seeing where the money is with a declining superstar.


How much were the average ticket prices for those years? That also plays a factor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Dec 2007
Posts: 33652
Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Lakers attendance

2010 99.7% Last Kobe title
2011 99.7%
2012 99.7% Signed 20 year cable deal for 3 billion
2013 99.6% Dwight/Nash season
2014 98.8% Kobe recovering from torn Achilles
2015 98.3% Head of the snake season/drafted Jules and Clarkson
2016 99.7% Drafted DLo/LNJ = Kobe retires
2017 99.4% Drafted Ingram/Zubac
2018 99.3% Drafted Lonzo/Josh Hart/Kuzma/T. Bryant
2019 99.7% Signed LBJ/Drafted Mo and Svi
2020 99.6% Won bubble title/Traded for AD
2021 Covid Acquired Schroder and Trezz
2022 97.8% Traded for Russ

I get there are jersey sales... but I don't see a big uptick in attendance for LBJ compared to the kids.

Our TV deal doesn't expire until 2032

So where is the economic benefit for this sh*t team?

Space Jam 2 was a huge flop.

I don't see any upside except for the LeBron stans and Klutch interns who want to watch him statpad and play with Bronny.

People keep saying Jeanie will do it for the money... except I'm not seeing where the money is with a declining superstar.


How much were the average ticket prices for those years? That also plays a factor.


Imagine having owners who are actually interested in winning and not revenue because they have an income source other than their team.

The Buss kids are parasites.
_________________
Damian Lillard shatters Dwight Coward's championship dreams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZrbEjppnd4
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB