Alec Baldwin accidentally kills film crew member with prop gun (UPDATE 4/20/23: Charges dropped)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
From the LA Times:

“The actor was preparing to film a scene in which he pulls a gun out of a holster, according to a source close to the production. Crew members had already shouted “cold gun” on the set. The filmmaking team was lining up its camera angles and had yet to retreat to the video village, an on-set area where the crew gathers to watch filming from a distance via a monitor.
Instead, the B-camera operator was on a dolly with a monitor, checking out the potential shots. Hutchins was also looking at the monitor from over the operator’s shoulder, as was the movie’s director, Joel Souza, who was crouching just behind her.

Baldwin removed the gun from its holster once without incident, but the second time he did so, ammunition flew toward the trio around the monitor. The projectile whizzed by the camera operator but penetrated Hutchins near her shoulder, then continued through to Souza. Hutchins immediately fell to the ground as crew members applied pressure to her wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding.”

So either he accidentally pulled the trigger while trying to pull the gun out of its holster OR the gun somehow fired on it's own due to some mechanical failure? Is that possible?

Since it was a revolver that fired via a hammer, I could see a scenario where the hammer catches on something and fires. But I defer to our gun experts here on that one.

Possible, but not as likely as he just fired it because he thought it was cold.

The language of the description of events sounds like the gun went off as part of the unholstering, not a trigger being pulled after successfully. There's no mention that there was supposed to be any simulated gun fire. So it sounds to me like it was a shot where he is to unholster the gun in order to wield it. Anyway, I was just responding to CL's question about the possibility.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm still trying to model what happened. I realize this was a low budget project, but for Baldwin to accidentally pull the trigger upon the draw would require a double action revolver, or the hammer cooked while in the holster. Even that bit of weirdness does not explain the earlier misfires or hangfires, not to mention either a live round. What idiot was running that operation?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
I'm still trying to model what happened. I realize this was a low budget project, but for Baldwin to accidentally pull the trigger upon the draw would require a double action revolver, or the hammer cooked while in the holster. Even that bit of weirdness does not explain the earlier misfires or hangfires, not to mention either a live round. What idiot was running that operation?

A collection of idiots making stupid and dangerous decisions. This incident is a prefect example of why we IATSE workers pushed for a strike snd will likely end up doing so. This tragedy is going to put extra pressure on the AMPTP to make a deal that addresses the issues of on set safety.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
From the LA Times:

“The actor was preparing to film a scene in which he pulls a gun out of a holster, according to a source close to the production. Crew members had already shouted “cold gun” on the set. The filmmaking team was lining up its camera angles and had yet to retreat to the video village, an on-set area where the crew gathers to watch filming from a distance via a monitor.
Instead, the B-camera operator was on a dolly with a monitor, checking out the potential shots. Hutchins was also looking at the monitor from over the operator’s shoulder, as was the movie’s director, Joel Souza, who was crouching just behind her.

Baldwin removed the gun from its holster once without incident, but the second time he did so, ammunition flew toward the trio around the monitor. The projectile whizzed by the camera operator but penetrated Hutchins near her shoulder, then continued through to Souza. Hutchins immediately fell to the ground as crew members applied pressure to her wound in an attempt to stop the bleeding.”

So either he accidentally pulled the trigger while trying to pull the gun out of its holster OR the gun somehow fired on it's own due to some mechanical failure? Is that possible?

Since it was a revolver that fired via a hammer, I could see a scenario where the hammer catches on something and fires. But I defer to our gun experts here on that one.

The language of the description of events sounds like the gun went off as part of the unholstering, not a trigger being pulled after successfully. There's no mention that there was supposed to be any simulated gun fire. So it sounds to me like it was a shot where he is to unholster the gun in order to wield it. Anyway, I was just responding to CL's question about the possibility.

I hear you, although it is really unlikely for a revolver to fire without the hammer being back on a single action or the trigger being pulled quite deliberately on a double action. It would make the most sense that he drew and simulated the shot a couple times and on the second time there was a live round in the chamber.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
From the LA Times:

I hear you, although it is really unlikely for a revolver to fire without the hammer being back on a single action or the trigger being pulled quite deliberately on a double action. It would make the most sense that he drew and simulated the shot a couple times and on the second time there was a live round in the chamber.

Definitely more likely. The things I keep bumping on are that he was handling a gun that everyone thought was was unloaded with anything, which wouldn't be the case if he was supposed to be shooting the gun for the shot, so why would he just pull the trigger if it wasn't needed. The other is that from the start, the story was not that a blank had misfired as most speculated, but that there was surprise the gun had gone off at all, further indication that the gun was never meant to be shot.

But yes, you are correct that the likely scenario is that Baldwin pulled the trigger on a gun he believed to be unloaded.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
From the LA Times:

By live do you mean a blank or an actual bullet? If it's the latter why in the world is live ammo on set?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
From the LA Times:

By live do you mean a blank or an actual bullet? If it's the latter why in the world is live ammo on set?

The armorer was careless and incompetent. She allowed the weapon to be used for target shooting offset, so real ammo was stored with the gun. Piss poor protocols on set allowed that gun to be used without it being checked before use as a prop.

BVH actually asked a very pertinent question in the very early moments of this thread about criminal charges. At first I thought no, because it sounded like a tragic accident. But everything since then has proven to be a series of gross negligence that could very easily be prosecuted as criminal.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Caller blames the AD for not checking the gun…Lots of blame to go around.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:38 am    Post subject:

It's a tragic accident, but Baldwin seems to have had anger issues before. Weather it was truly an accident or a series of unfortunate events, capped off by an irresponsible use of a handgun, it doesn't really matter. Baldwin had a big hand in taking a life, by use of a handgun. A woman is dead now because of Him.

I wonder how many jokes SNL made about that last night...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject:

after the Brandon Lee tragedy I would have assumed they filming sets would have banned having "real" guns used. Only replica guns that wont work with live ammo.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
https://youtu.be/a_YeGLRp73Q

Caller blames the AD for not checking the gun…Lots of blame to go around.

Yep, because the AD should never have been the one handing him the gun in the first place.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:37 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
It's a tragic accident, but Baldwin seems to have had anger issues before. Weather it was truly an accident or a series of unfortunate events, capped off by an irresponsible use of a handgun, it doesn't really matter. Baldwin had a big hand in taking a life, by use of a handgun. A woman is dead now because of Him.

It wasn't a handgun.. at least it shouldn't have been.. it was supposed to be a prop gun

From what I read last night this production crew sucked and the gun girl was terribly unqualified

Should be illegal to use crack production teams who lack credentials

Saving money on production so the stars keep their millions??

Someone has to answer for hiring these clowns
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:

If you really are to the place where you’re wondering out loud here if maybe he loaded some bullets in the gun because he was angry (and apparently kept a few in the pockets of his costume just in case and loaded them right there in front of everyone without anyone noticing?) and murdered his own DP during the rehearsal of a scene, because you’re mad at him making some jokes about someone on SNL, maybe he’s not the one with the issues?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
after the Brandon Lee tragedy I would have assumed they filming sets would have banned having "real" guns used. Only replica guns that wont work with live ammo.

Is there such a thing? Can a replica gun make all those real gun noises with gunfire coming out of the nozzle?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:55 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Is there such a thing? Can a replica gun make all those real gun noises with gunfire coming out of the nozzle?

They don't need to. It can (and frequently is) done after the fact. Sometimes the practical muzzle flash isn't even captured properly because of the frame rate on the camera.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
From the LA Times:

The armorer was careless and incompetent. She allowed the weapon to be used for target shooting offset, so real ammo was stored with the gun. Piss poor protocols on set allowed that gun to be used without it being checked before use as a prop.

BVH actually asked a very pertinent question in the very early moments of this thread about criminal charges. At first I thought no, because it sounded like a tragic accident. But everything since then has proven to be a series of gross negligence that could very easily be prosecuted as criminal.

What could possibly be the reason to practice with live rounds? They're filming a movie not training for the Olympics. Is it customary to have live rounds on set? Just seems like a no brainer here.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:08 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
From the LA Times:

What could possibly be the reason to practice with live rounds? They're filming a movie not training for the Olympics. Is it customary to have live rounds on set? Just seems like a no brainer here.

The target practice wasn't related to the film shoot. It was offset and reportedly/allegedly by the armorer's daughter. As to having live rounds on set. Definitely no customary at all. Dummy rounds yes. So there may have been confusion as to which was taken to set with the gun.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Jeez. It seems like if there was one competent person in the chain of events this could have all been prevented. RIP Halyna.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Remember in Tropic Thunder when Tom Cruise starts talking about the G5 jet they will be able to buy with the insurance money? Does this film get a huge insurance payout after this incident?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I dont know if there is such a thing but it seems the film industry is big enough to support a market of replica guns that look a feel like the real thing with muzzle flash and recoil along with no way for the gun to accidentally kill someone
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

I dont know if there is such a thing but it seems the film industry is big enough to support a market of replica guns that look a feel like the real thing with muzzle flash and recoil along with no way for the gun to accidentally kill someone

There's no reason to go to that extent. Muzzles flashes can be added later.

A fellow editor wrote a good piece dispelling all the rationalizations in regards to having weapons that fire on set. I'll try and track it down.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

The current scenario in my mind is that Baldwin was practicing for a classic quick draw and fire scene: the shooter pulls the revolver out of the holster, and while the trigger is depressed he fans the hammer for a quick, dramatic firing of his weapon. The first time he rehearsed it, there wasn't a live round in the cylinder of the revolver. And of course the next time he tried the same sequence, the cylinder rotated and presented a live round in the chamber which fired.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
The current scenario in my mind is that Baldwin was practicing for a classic quick draw and fire scene: the shooter pulls the revolver out of the holster, and while the trigger is depressed he fans the hammer for a quick, dramatic firing of his weapon. The first time he rehearsed it, there wasn't a live round in the cylinder of the revolver. And of course the next time he tried the same sequence, the cylinder rotated and presented a live round in the chamber which fired.

That’s pretty close to mine. Obviously we have heard that they were rehearsing and that the two people shot were behind the camera. So it does look like they were getting a look see at some portion of a scene that involves a draw of the weapon and firing with the camera positioned downrange if the gun. From directly ahead you can see the bullets in the cylinder of a revolver, which is why they use dummies (no propellant but a bullet in the cartridge) for shots that show that angle (there are a few movies roaming around where you can see the blanks or empty chambers, but mostly they are good at this). Maybe they wanted to see a dry fire with dummies for visuals, with the idea to edit in the muzzle flash and what not. Getting the draw and the fire (and pantomimed reaction to recoil) looking realistic as possible. Whether he fanned the gun or not isn’t real important so much as he was pointing and pulling the trigger, simulating the full draw and shoot. And one of the dummies was a live round, because the idiot armorer was using live rounds in the gun offsite and probably mishandled her ammo in an egregious way.

Look at it this way: have you ever taken dead batteries out of a flashlight for example, where you set the new batteries down, took out the old ones, set them down near the new ones, and put the new ones in, but because you got distracted or whatever mixed one or more of your batteries and had to do it over? With dummies and live rounds, it’s easier to tell which is which (there is an unspoiled primer in the end of the cartridge of a live round and either a spent or missing primer in a dummy) so you can see which is which if you get them mixed but you should never ever get to that point.

Incidentally, BrandonLee died because the armorer loaded a bullet onto an empty cartridge (no powder)to make a dummy, but he neglected to notice that his empty cartridge had a live primer that went off and moved the bullet part way down the barrel. And for some reason no one noticed and cleared this, so when the blank was fired at Lee, it had all the propulsion of a live round, and blasted that bullet right down and out the barrel.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject:

Yep:

A cameraman named Reid Russel told authorities, "Alec was trying to explain how he was going to draw out the firearm and where his arm would be when the firearm was pulled from the holster."

Souza [the director] explained Baldwin pointed the gun directly at the camera and fired, striking him in the shoulder and Halyna Hutchins in the chest.

Whether or not he thought the gun was unloaded, pointing a gun directly at the crew and pulling the trigger was a foolish thing to do.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject:

I honestly cannot figure out why Baldwin and the crew were that stupid. I'm sure Baldwin has had a long list of action movies and prop masters or armorers have probably given him informal Gun Safety 101 more than a few times. Whether you're on a set or in real-life, the sequence is simple. With a single action revolver, before you hand it over:

1. Open the loading gate and show it to the person you are about to hand the weapon.. The loading gate is where you load the weapon. When open there should be no round in that chamber.

2. Pull back the hammer in the first safety position; that's the first click you'll hear. This allows the cylinder to rotate. Now rotate the cylinder so that the person you are handing the weapon to can see that every chamber is empty. Cycle through twice for good measure, not every cylinder carries six chambers. Make sure the muzzle is pointed downward and not in harm's way.

3. Ask if they'd like to see you rotate the cylinder again.

4. Draw back the hammer completely and while your thumb is still on the hammer, pull the trigger but release the hammer slowly back to the non-firing position. This isn't just for safety, this is to protect your firing pin.

I'm not being preachy, it's just that if there's someone out there reading this, please do this whenever a friend presents a single-action revolver to you. If he or she doesn't do this, do this yourself. You may save a life.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10
Jump to: