Dodgers 2022 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 432, 433, 434  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Oh wow, just found out Freddie Freeman is an OC guy by way of Fountain Valley/Orange. The # of stud players that grew up in this area is staggering.

Let's get this guy home!
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:25 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Oh wow, just found out Freddie Freeman is an OC guy by way of Fountain Valley/Orange. The # of stud players that grew up in this area is staggering.

Let's get this guy home!

Ugh that means he likely grew up a Halos fan so Arte would use that to make a pitch to Freddie.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Let's get this guy home!

Ugh that means he likely grew up a Halos fan so Arte would use that to make a pitch to Freddie.

That's not necessarily true at all. There are so many Dodger fans in OC, myself included. The Dodger brand is incredibly strong. Freeman would be an incredible get, as there is no doubt in my mind that I'd rather have him than Seager.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Let's get this guy home!

That's not necessarily true at all. There are so many Dodger fans in OC, myself included. The Dodger brand is incredibly strong. Freeman would be an incredible get, as there is no doubt in my mind that I'd rather have him than Seager.

Same OC Bro.

There's a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE contingent of Dodgers fans in the OC. The parts of OC that's on the north end of the 405 (Seal Beach/HB/Westminster/GG/Cypress/etc) is all Dodgers all day.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm always assumed Mickey Mouse territory was Angels turf lol.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Hmmm always assumed Mickey Mouse territory was Angels turf lol.

The Angels obviously have a decent fanbase, but there are just so many people here in this region, and I think the majority of them are Dodger fans. Also consider the fact that there are a relatively large number of Spanish speakers that live near Angel Stadium, whether that's in Anaheim or, certainly, in Santa Ana. And the Dodgers cultivated a great connection with the Latino community decades ago. So many of them are Dodger fans.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:18 am    Post subject:

^ Sheesh I can't believe I forgot Santa Ana. That's probably ALL blue.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
^ Sheesh I can't believe I forgot Santa Ana. That's probably ALL blue.

Yeah I would think so.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:16 am    Post subject:

Literally in the first part of his Wikipedia page
Quote:
Early life
Freeman was born in Fountain Valley, California. Both of Freeman's parents are from Ontario, Canada. His mother was from Peterborough, while his father is from Windsor.[1] Because Freeman's parents were both born in Canada, Freeman holds Canadian citizenship in addition to American citizenship.[2][3]

He grew up a fan of the Los Angeles Angels.[4] At the age of six, Freeman practiced with Little League ballplayers from Orange, California, who were twice his age. Aged seven, he was placed on a team of nine-year-olds. When Freeman himself turned nine, he was assigned to play with the team of twelve-year-olds.[5] Freeman attended El Modena High School, where he was a third baseman and a pitcher. As a senior in 2007, Freeman hit for a .417 batting average and had a 6–1 win-loss record as a pitcher. The Orange County Register named him its 2007 player of the year. He signed a letter of intent with Cal State Fullerton.[6]
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

It might take 5 yrs $75M to get CT3

Quote:
David Vassegh recently mentioned on SportsNet LA:

“At the end of the season I heard his market was starting at about four years and $60 million, similar to what Ben Zobrist got when he signed with the Cubs from the Rays. I’m hearing now with the competition for Taylor’s services, it could go as high as $75 million for five years.”
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Quote:

“At the end of the season I heard his market was starting at about four years and $60 million, similar to what Ben Zobrist got when he signed with the Cubs from the Rays. I’m hearing now with the competition for Taylor’s services, it could go as high as $75 million for five years.”

Damn...and Kike signed with Boston for 2/$14M.

CT3 has been good for us, and his versatility is very valuable to the point it essentially makes him an "every day" player. But does that make him worth $15M a season? That's a tough call because I wouldn't consider him "elite" at anything more than just "very good" at doing everything.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Quote:

CT3 has been good for us, and his versatility is very valuable to the point it essentially makes him an "every day" player. But does that make him worth $15M a season? That's a tough call because I wouldn't consider him "elite" at anything more than just "very good" at doing everything.

$15M is a bargain for what CT3 brings. It's the amount of years that is the concern. He's already 31. If we can get the production that he's given us over the last 5 years, that's definitely worth $15M a year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Quote:

$15M is a bargain for what CT3 brings. It's the amount of years that is the concern. He's already 31. If we can get the production that he's given us over the last 5 years, that's definitely worth $15M a year.

Honestly, a $15MM a year player is a drop in the bucket for the Dodgers. I would sign him at that contract. If you think he's worth the 4 year deal, one extra year at $15MM is not going to affect anything the Dodgers do at all. He's a big piece and if you retain him, it gives you more options going forward. I mentioned dealing Lux as a possibility. But what if you were to sign Freeman? Now it actually opens up the possibility of dealing Pollock to an OF-needy team, if Muncy can play 2B and Taylor can play LF. The Indians have a dreadful OF, for example. Maybe you can interest them in a deal for Pollock and Lux and pitching prospects for Bieber. Just thinking out loud. But it would open up options.

Really hoping we can retain Taylor.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Scherzer thinks his dead arm was due to the Dodgers not using him enough, instead of being overworked. Basically he thinks that his low average of 94 pitches per start lead to his dead arm troubles when he tried to ramp it up in the playoffs. He said back in 2019, he did the same thing with the Nationals during their playoff run (pitching in relief and then continuing to pitch afterwards). He says the difference is he was used to throwing 110 pitches per start back then (he avg 103), so his body was ready for it when he tried to push it in the playoffs.

Quote:
On Max Scherzer, workload, arm fatigue & his playoff usage with the Dodgers

On Wednesday, Scherzer said his arm was “overcooked,” a phrase he used during the NLCS as well. He said after the playoffs he took about 10 days off before resuming throwing, wanting to make sure there was no structural injury to his right arm.

“I just needed time,” Scherzer said. “I overcooked my arm, or went past the work capacity that I was built up for. Unfortunately, that happened. I didn’t foresee that happening, but it did.”

Scherzer, who like everyone in MLB transitioned from a 60-game season to a full one in 2021, was asked if his arm fatigue was the result of gradual wear and tear or because he pitched in Game 5 of the NLDS in relief.

“My conversations with Doc [Dave Roberts] and [Andrew] Friedman — I had done that in 2019, in the World Series run. I pitched in the wild card game, made a relief appearance, and made a couple more starts, and was able to do that. I thought I was in the same position to do that here in 2021.

“I just thought, reflecting upon that, in Washington I was asked to pitch on the five-day and pitch 100-110 pitches consistently,” Scherzer said. “I was stepping on it all the time, and I loved it. I was built up to throw a much higher work capacity in DC, so when I was asked to do that I felt my arm could respond to that.”

Scherzer with the Nationals in 2019 started the wild card game and pitched five innings, then pitched a scoreless inning in relief three days later at Dodger Stadium in Game 2 of the NLDS. He started and won Game 4 of that series, allowing one run in seven innings, on two days rest, the same schedule in 2021 from Game 3 of the NLDS through Game 2 of the NLCS.

But there was a difference between 2019 Scherzer with the Nationals and 2021 Scherzer with the Dodgers.

“Rightfully so with the Dodgers, there was major concern to protect Walker [Buehler] and Julio [Urías]’s innings. I 100-percent support that,” Scherzer said. “We made decisions to give extra days out on a consistent basis and watch our pitch counts for the postseason.

“I just feel like that lowered my work capacity so that when I tried to do the 2019 formula of being able to pitch out of the ‘pen, my arm wasn’t able to respond to that because I came from a lower pitch count, per se. That’s why I didn’t get hurt. That’s why I didn’t hurt myself. But I was definitely compromised from trying to execute what I tried to do in 2019. You learn something new every day.”

Scherzer after getting acquired by the Dodgers in July made 11 regular season starts. Seven came on five days rest, with four on four days rest. He did pitch with extra rest more often than with Washington this year, when nine of his 19 starts came on four days rest.

But compared to 2019 Scherzer — who was two years younger and not coming off a pandemic-shortened season — his workload did decline. Scherzer made 12 starts on four days rest that year and 12 on five or six days rest. This excludes two starts after missing extended time as well as his opening day start.

He averaged 103 pitches per start in 2019, compared to 94 in 2021. His average with the Dodgers was also 94 pitches per start, though by excluding a rain-delayed start and another interrupted by a hamstring injury that average with Los Angeles jumps to 100 pitches per start. Scherzer was understandably extended more often in 2019, throwing at least 110 pitches seven times, while topping out at 109 pitches in 2021 with both the Nationals and Dodgers.

Perhaps Scherzer not getting ridden harder or stretched longer diminished his capacity once the playoffs came around, or maybe contributed to his final two regular season starts that saw him allow 11 runs in 10⅓ innings.

But when Game 5 of the NLDS came, the Dodgers wanted to ride their ace to close out the series between the teams with the two best records in MLB, and Scherzer was more than willing to oblige.

“You can ask all my managers. If I tell you ‘I can go,’ I can go,” Scherzer said Wednesday. “This was the first time I ran into something like that, when I really thought I could do something, and it didn’t show up.”
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject:

CT is close to coming back according to Passan
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Hoping for 4/60 with Taylor. 3/50 even better but let’s see. I think he could’ve gotten 4/64 easily so I’ll be ok with that too. Anything more though and I’m upset.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
CT is close to coming back according to Passan

Excellent development.

As for Scherzer, he's doing some major revisionist history. And keep in mind, a lot of the info that came out at the trade deadline, after, and recently is from his camp. So it was leaked today that he only preferred the West Coast at the trade deadline because he thought the warmer weather would help his nagging injuries. And he said during his time with the Dodgers that 3 of his early exits from starts (with a low pitch count) was due to a hamstring injury. So, what, the Dodgers were supposed to push him to his pitch limit while dealing with injuries, namely the hammy? Give me a break.

Good riddance.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Hoping for 4/60 with Taylor. 3/50 even better but let’s see. I think he could’ve gotten 4/64 easily so I’ll be ok with that too. Anything more though and I’m upset.

Be prepared to be upset. Guessing we added a fifth year. But let's see.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Rosenthal tweets that the deal has been agreed to, pending a physical. Just waiting on the terms now.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:48 pm    Post subject:

why are you concerning about Dodger's money? it's not like the Lakers, Guggenheim has deep pocket unlike the Buss family. get CT3 back even if it's a 5 year deal, we should all be happy about it.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Just need Freddie now to package Lux and others for Castillo and Gray. Really really like Castillo and its to our benefit that he isnt coming off the Cy Young caliber year that his arm has the potential of winning. Really like Gray as a number 4.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Knebel to Phillies on one year contract
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

He got one year and $10MM, and Melancon just got 2 years and $14MM from the D'backs. Knebel could very well be the Phillies closer.

If things go well for the Dodgers, I'm guessing they are envisioning a back-end of the bullpen of Treinen, Kahnle, and Hudson, with guys like Vesia and Bickford and Graterol mixing in. Maybe Caleb Ferguson looks strong off TJ surgery, who knows. And there still could be a free agent addition or a trade.

Castillo would be nice, but if I'm the Dodgers, I'm aiming higher and going after Bieber. Cleveland's payroll has gotten so low that they can certainly afford to keep Bieber, but, on the other hand, how are they going to realistically compete while they have him, if they are going to spend so little? This could be the time for them to cash in on him for the largest possible return, while he is still under team control for 3 more seasons.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

He got one year and $10MM, and Melancon just got 2 years and $14MM from the D'backs. Knebel could very well be the Phillies closer.

If things go well for the Dodgers, I'm guessing they are envisioning a back-end of the bullpen of Treinen, Kahnle, and Hudson, with guys like Vesia and Bickford and Graterol mixing in. Maybe Caleb Ferguson looks strong off TJ surgery, who knows. And there still could be a free agent addition or a trade.

Castillo would be nice, but if I'm the Dodgers, I'm aiming higher and going after Bieber. Cleveland's payroll has gotten so low that they can certainly afford to keep Bieber, but, on the other hand, how are they going to realistically compete while they have him, if they are going to spend so little? This could be the time for them to cash in on him for the largest possible return, while he is still under team control for 3 more seasons.

I’ve been thinking about this for quite some time and I wonder if the Dodgers are talking to Cleveland about it.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Can CT3 be our full time SS after Trea Turner leaves?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 432, 433, 434  Next
Page 7 of 434
Jump to: