Dodgers 2022 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 245, 246, 247 ... 432, 433, 434  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Yankees were playing above their weight but they are also experimenting a lot right now - reminds me a bit of that Dodger freefall in 17. Experimentation and letting your foot off the pedal tends to not work in the dog days of summer/september.

Trayce is giving me Soler vibes in terms of the kind of acquisition he can be for us.

Too bad Doc's loyal to a fault, Trayce deserves to be the everyday LF going forward instead of CT3k's a game.

I guess at worst TT's a shoe-in for a postseason roster spot and the primary RHH off the bench (sorry Hanser).

I think it's fine to see if Taylor can get it going. He's come through so often for us in big moments. But he hasn't looked great since coming back and if he can't get it going, I agree that Trayce deserves to play over him. Then we still have the wild card, Gallo. If he could get hot, Roberts will probably play him in LF against righties. As for Hanser vs. Trayce, I'd prefer to use Hanser in a big pinch-hit spot vs. a lefty. Trayce seems to see the ball much better off righties.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
also have we laughed about the Padres/Tatis yet?

YEP!! Go back a couple pages prior to the start of our game. However I see that the Padres could use the Tatis story as a rallying-cry and motivator as they been tearing the cover off the ball since we gave them the broom last week.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:53 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Yankees were playing above their weight but they are also experimenting a lot right now - reminds me a bit of that Dodger freefall in 17. Experimentation and letting your foot off the pedal tends to not work in the dog days of summer/september.

Trayce is giving me Soler vibes in terms of the kind of acquisition he can be for us.

Too bad Doc's loyal to a fault, Trayce deserves to be the everyday LF going forward instead of CT3k's a game.

I guess at worst TT's a shoe-in for a postseason roster spot and the primary RHH off the bench (sorry Hanser).

I think it's fine to see if Taylor can get it going. He's come through so often for us in big moments. But he hasn't looked great since coming back and if he can't get it going, I agree that Trayce deserves to play over him. Then we still have the wild card, Gallo. If he could get hot, Roberts will probably play him in LF against righties. As for Hanser vs. Trayce, I'd prefer to use Hanser in a big pinch-hit spot vs. a lefty. Trayce seems to see the ball much better off righties.

Thankfully Muncy and Belli has stepped up so far this month. Gallo in small spurts is preferable as a PH and once a week starting OFer.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I saw this floated, but it's possible that the Padres actually made the Soto trade knowing that a Tatis suspension was forthcoming. Usually teams are made aware of a positive test well in advance of the actual suspension announcement, because the appeals process has to sort itself out. If so, it would be interesting that the Padres would make that deal, because it would suggest that they thought they had a strong-enough team to win the World Series this year, and although I think they probably have a puncher's chance, I think that would be a miscalculation on their part.

I think they figured their leverage in a trade negotiation was stronger if teams thought Tatis was coming back.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Clostebol is a super old steroid too. Really foolish not to use whatever new designer drug is out there. In case anyone is wondering, this isn't a recovery thing. Clostebol is real close to Tren. It's a STEROID steroid.

The guy already got the bag so it wasn't like he was using it currently to get a big contract. This all tells me he's probably been on it his entire career.

Damn shame.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Too bad Doc's loyal to a fault, Trayce so obviously deserves to be the everyday LF going forward instead of CT3k's a game.

We have 2 TT's now on the roster. I think gotta find another short name for Trayce. Maybe KT for Klay Thompson?
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:47 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Too bad Doc's loyal to a fault, Trayce so obviously deserves to be the everyday LF going forward instead of CT3k's a game.

We have 2 TT's now on the roster. I think gotta find another short name for Trayce. Maybe KT for Klay Thompson?

Trayce Nikolas Thompson

TNT🧨🧨🧨

Kabooooooom !
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:37 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:
Cutheon wrote:

Trayce Nikolas Thompson

TNT🧨🧨🧨

Kabooooooom !

Nice

Let’s see if that sticks around here
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject:

I don’t think Soto is re-signing with the Padres now. Their future just got real bleak.

- No farm
- Tatis probably won’t be the same
- No other young stars to build around (Musgrove?)
- Machado might opt out
- Tatis’ contract might become a negative value to the team

---------

Good to see Treinen back in action:
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
I don’t think Soto is re-signing with the Padres now. Their future just got real bleak.

- No farm
- Machado might opt out

---------

Very interesting. Is Manny’s opt out this year? If so he’s 100% opting out. If he bolts how can Soto even think about staying?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

- No farm
- Machado might opt out

---------

Very interesting. Is Manny’s opt out this year? If so he’s 100% opting out. If he bolts how can Soto even think about staying?

Machado's opt-out is after next season, and it would be a shock if he didn't opt out, unless they extend him before that. I think the Padres have a good shot to retain him, as it seems like he's quite comfortable there. But who knows.

This did make me think of Arenado's opt-out after this season, though. If the Dodgers fail to re-sign Trea, perhaps Arenado will be under serious consideration for us. He's having by far the best hitting season of his career by OPS+ (by 33 points), and remains a vacuum at 3B.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

- No farm
- Machado might opt out

---------

Is it true they had something like 4 years left of control and still gave him the 14 year deal? If so, that seems fireable. Like Mitch giving Deaven George the full MLE at the stroke of midnight and missing out on Chauncey Billups.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Which Dodgers Player Would Make the Best Football Player?

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:20 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

- No farm
- Machado might opt out

---------

Is it true they had something like 4 years left of control and still gave him the 14 year deal? If so, that seems fireable. Like Mitch giving Deaven George the full MLE at the stroke of midnight and missing out on Chauncey Billups.

Yup, but it's common now because they don't want to get into a situation like ARod, Soto, Harper where they lose their superstar so they try to lock them up early.

The Angels locked up Trout. Tampa Bay locked up Wander Franco. Atlanta just locked up Austin Riley.

The Dodgers don't do this though. Seems like they don't lock anyone up.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

- No farm
- Machado might opt out

---------

Yup, but it's common now because they don't want to get into a situation like ARod, Soto, Harper where they lose their superstar so they try to lock them up early.

The Angels locked up Trout. Tampa Bay locked up Wander Franco. Atlanta just locked up Austin Riley.

I think that's because we have the ability to pay absolute top dollar for the best free agents in any given year. We don't want to lock ourselves into a huge long-term deal on a young player if the player doesn't work out and isn't proven. Imagine if we had given Bellinger a Tatis-type deal after his MVP year, for example.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

- No farm
- Machado might opt out

---------

I think that's because we have the ability to pay absolute top dollar for the best free agents in any given year. We don't want to lock ourselves into a huge long-term deal on a young player if the player doesn't work out and isn't proven. Imagine if we had given Bellinger a Tatis-type deal after his MVP year, for example.

Yeah, there's definitely pros and cons to every spending strategy. Bad contracts can happen at every stage of a player's career, whether it be during the first 6 cost controlled years, or paying top dollar for their free agent years.

We just only want to spend big once they reach their free agent years.

We locked in Betts for 13 years and for awhile there, we thought maybe his hip would be messed up. Then we'd be stuck with a bad contract, same with Bellinger and his messed up shoulder.

We went after Rendon and Gerrit Cole and lucked out.

It works both ways to me.

I bet contract history shows that the big free agent contracts are the ones that are more likely to go bad vs. locking up a good player during their cost controlled years.

An example is Bumgarner. I think the SF Giants got the far greater deal locking him up early than the Arizona Diamondbacks did signing him as a free agent (we were in on Bumgarner as well).

Right now, I wouldn't mind at all if we locked up Will Smith and Gavin Lux. I wish we would have locked up Urias. Not so much Bellinger and Buehler though.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject:

^
I just think we may have the idea that there's more downside to the risk of a young guy turning back into a pumpkin and/or getting hurt, as opposed to the upside of that player panning out fully, knowing we can fall back on spending top dollar for proven, established players who hit free agency. You're certainly correct that free agent deals can go badly too.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Here we go. Let's keep the streak going.

On a side note the Royals uniform today looks like a fast food restaurant uniform.

Last edited by aprevo15 on Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Leadoff bomb by Mookie!!!!!
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject:

Damn what a first inning so far. Hit after hit after hit. Bases still loaded with no outs. Come on someone hit one out.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject:

4-0 bases loaded no outs
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject:

JT had no chance
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject:

Damn JT killed the momentum. That was too shallow for him to tag. Maybe the other Turner might of made it but not JT.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject:

Bellinger swings way too often on 3-0. That was a good pitcher's pitch away. This isn't 2019, Cody.

Anyway, yes, great inning.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Wow I didn't know Gallo was a 2 time gold glove. Our defense in the outfield is solid.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 245, 246, 247 ... 432, 433, 434  Next
Page 246 of 434
Jump to: