Dodgers 2022 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 309, 310, 311 ... 432, 433, 434  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Anderson can’t field anything
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:49 pm    Post subject:

What kind of defense are we playing? 4 errors today?

Honestly, of all my time watching baseball, I don't remember a 4 error game before.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject:

how long is this torturous inning?
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
What kind of defense are we playing? 4 errors today?

Honestly, of all my time watching baseball, I don't remember a 4 error game before.

I dont either. I would t be surprised if we're the only team this year with 4 errors.

2 from game 1 makes it 6 errors in 1 day.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Way to give one back to the Dbacks after they threw the day game. They have no business being up in this game let alone winning it.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:00 am    Post subject:

Sloppy 2 games but ehh, I guess it happens sometimes. As for Trea's defense, the error total, for a guy who plays almost every inning of every game, isn't alarming in and of itself. But when I looked at metrics, it does appear that his errors and even his range factor (I found that interesting, given his speed) are both considered to be negative. His best marks come from turning double plays, where he's been well-rated this season. Overall, his UZR is almost neutral, just barely below average. So yeah, he's not adding a ton of defensive value.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject:

lol … I didn’t even know they had a day game. Winning game one makes me feel better.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject:

Friedman on Thompson:

Quote:
"I love Trayce. When we won the division last week, seeing how overcome with emotion he was was incredibly touching. I'll be honest, when we got him, it was when Mookie broke his rib and we went through, looking for right-handed bats, and obviously, he was having success in Triple-A and we noticed some swing things that had changed.

"But if you would have asked me at that time, I would not have thought that it was going to be a longterm solution. So the credit goes to him, and it couldn't happen to a better guy. I love when good things happen to good people. He has elevated his game to a whole new level. And I think that comes some with confidence, and how much he loves being here. ...

"This is a different level, and he's earned the opportunity to be here and carved out some playing time, and I couldn't be happier that he's done that."

Watch the actual interview: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cixl_dvJawm/?utm_source=ig_embed&utm_campaign=embed_video_watch_again

------------------

Max Muncy talking about Pujols. Says he hopes Pujols hits 700th HR at Dodger stadium.

Great interview: Watch on twitter:

Video

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Mets and Braves both went down today, NL 1st seed magic # down to FOUR!

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Another entertaining Jomboy breakdown about Dustin May plunking the Padres:

--------------

I really like this one: Guy grabs ball from between woman's legs, a breakdown

Any opinions?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

While Graterol is on track to be activated tomorrow, Dave Roberts said that "Treinen is not bouncing back the way we all hoped." Very discouraging news. He also said that Gonsolin will throw to hitters tomorrow and that it will be a big day for him.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Nothing is more clearer- May is not ready for the playoffs
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:

Some of us -- and I certainly include myself here -- may have been expecting too much in his first run since TJS. It's clear the stuff is there, but the consistency hasn't been. We've seen 3 really good outings and 2 really poor ones. But here's a concerning thought: if Gonsolin can't make it back to start in the postseason, are we going to go with Heaney in a Game 4 start? Perhaps we'd have Heaney piggybacking with May, who knows.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Martin with his first walk since May 26.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:37 pm    Post subject:

Just saw the score. Damn we are getting wrecked. I get that May is having a bad night but what is the excuse for only 1 hit?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
JerryWest_44 wrote:

Some of us -- and I certainly include myself here -- may have been expecting too much in his first run since TJS. It's clear the stuff is there, but the consistency hasn't been. We've seen 3 really good outings and 2 really poor ones. But here's a concerning thought: if Gonsolin can't make it back to start in the postseason, are we going to go with Heaney in a Game 4 start? Perhaps we'd have Heaney piggybacking with May, who knows.

Yeah it's going to be Heaney/May/Gonsolin/bullpen game.

We did really well in our bullpen games last year.

Gonsolin won't be a starter but he'll be on the roster and available out of the pen.

May and Heaney, you can tell early if they have it or not, especially May. If May doesn't have it, quick hook and go with Heaney. If Heaney doesn't have it, quick hook and go with Gonsolin. And if that doesn't work, either give up the game or go with the bullpen.

We did that during Gonsolin and May's rookie year. They both were like 2ip pitchers and we did that in the playoffs with them.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject:

Man, our rotation is in shambles right now. We're down to 3 lefties to start a series and question marks on the 4th game starter:

Tony Gonsolin:

Quote:
After starting the season 11-0, it is becoming more and more likely that Tony Gonsolin will not be part of the Dodgers’ starting rotation come playoff time.

J.P. Hoornstra of the Orange County Register writes that Gonsolin plans to throw two simulated innings at Dodger Stadium on Thursday. If his arm bounces back well on Friday, the next step is a minor league rehab assignment. If all goes according to plan (big if), Gonsolin will be able to make one start at the major league level before the playoffs begin.

Gonsolin’s role in October could very well end up being in a “piggyback” role. This was his role to begin the 2022 season, as well as his role in previous postseasons.

Dodger manager Dave Roberts said: “At some point, you’re kind of dealt a hand and you have to do the best you can with it.”

Blake Treinen:

Quote:
In addition to Gonsolin, Blake Treinen remains on the injured list after he did not respond to a rehab appearance in the way the Dodgers had hoped. As a reliever, it takes Treinen less time to ramp up to be able to contribute in October and the Dodgers are hopeful he’ll be able to return.

Dustin May:

Quote:
Dave Roberts is not ready to commit to Dustin May as a postseason starter, Fabian Ardaya of The Athletic writes, but believes there is plenty of time for May to get back on track given his recent inconsistencies.

David Price:

Quote:
David Price has announced his intent to retire following the 2022 MLB season, AJ Nelson of the Boston Globe writes. Price, who is currently on the IL with a wrist injury, will face live hitters at Dodger Stadium on Thursday.

https://www.truebluela.com/2022/9/22/23366445/tony-gonsolin-new-role-october
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject:

I read this article on Blake Treinen, and his situation is interesting. Seems like at the beginning of the year, the doctors told him his shoulder is partially torn and he needed season ending surgery.

Friedman wanted him to get the surgery. I don't know if Friedman actually told Treinen to get the surgery, but he said in an interview that if it were him, he'd get it. Friedman also said that the whole point of giving Treinen the extension was to ease his mind about trying to come back (to get his option picked up).

Treinen ended up not getting the surgery and trying to rehab the shoulder. If it doesn't fully heal, he might end up getting the shoulder surgery anyways and it'll cut into his 2023 season.

Let me find that article:

Quote:
Did Dodgers’ Blake Treinen make mistake forgoing shoulder surgery?

The diagnosis ended up being a partial tear in the front capsule of his right shoulder, and Treinen suggested the Dodgers starting off the year in cold weather cities (Colorado and Cincinnati) played a role in his condition.

---------------------

He declined to undergo surgery to repair the injury, which he was initially advised to undergo when the injury occurred, and instead opted to move forward with rehab.

Nearly five months later, Treinen was able to return to the mound. But only two innings of action was all he needed to land back on the IL with shoulder tightness.

-------------------

Fans have to wonder how the Dodgers feel about this, too. Back in May, seemingly under the assumption Treinen would be out for the rest of 2022, the team extended the right-hander through 2023 and guaranteed him $8 million (he originally had a team option for that season) in what was both a gesture of good faith and roster prudence. Treinen got another year, and the Dodgers kept one of their most important relievers at a good price. Everybody wins.

But now, depending on how the rest of the regular season shakes out, it could be a one-sided affair if Treinen eventually needs surgery.

-------------------

It’s more than likely Treinen would’ve missed the remainder of 2022 had he undergone surgery, but now he’s in danger of missing all of 2022 and a portion of 2023 (to go along with the general “getting back up to speed” reps that will eat more time off the calendar).

In hindsight, based on the medical recommendations and how the Dodgers seemingly felt after inking him to an extension, it seems Treinen’s decision to rehab might’ve been the wrong one.

https://dodgersway.com/2022/09/14/dodgers-blake-treinen-make-mistake-not-undergoing-surgery/

Quote:
Matthew Moreno
@MMoreno1015

Andrew Friedman said if he was Blake Treinen's advisor, he would've recommended surgery.

Friedman explained a big reason #Dodgers signed Treinen to a contract extension was "to provide him the peace of mind to run out this course, which helps us this October" & have a fallback
8:18 PM · Aug 22, 2022

Yeah, if his shoulder is still partially torn right now, that's not good. It could blow out anytiime.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject:

Hey, a good Dylan Hernandez article....

Quote:
Column: Clayton Kershaw is leaning toward returning next season, but the question is where

BY DYLAN HERNÁNDEZ

He would rather retire than break down again.

Except he believes he won’t.

He would rather walk away than be reduced to mediocrity.

Except he believes that won’t happen either.

So, when Clayton Kershaw pictures what he’ll be doing next year, he imagines himself pitching.

“As of now, I haven’t really thought a whole lot about next year,” he said. “But I do think I’m leaning towards playing over not, for sure.”

The tentative plan lacks specificity at this point, Kershaw saying he didn’t yet know whether he would return to the Dodgers for a 16th year or move to pitch elsewhere. He entertained an offer from the Texas Rangers before this season and could revisit the possibility of playing for his hometown team in the winter.

With the playoffs approaching, what the 34-year-old left-hander is confident of is that he can manage the back problems from which he returned earlier this month. The same is true of the elbow troubles that kept him out of the postseason last year.

And as long as he remains healthy, baseball’s fiercest competitor intends to compete again next year.

“I hold the right to change my mind, but as of today, I think that I’ve got at least one more run,” he said.

Thoughts of extending his Hall of Fame career were reinforced by how this year has unfolded, with Kershaw now positioned to pitch in his 11th postseason. His October preparations will continue on Saturday when he starts against the St. Louis Cardinals in a game that will mark his first time pitching on four days’ rest since his activation from the injured list.

“If I was healthy and won the World Series, I don’t know what last offseason would have held. Same thing goes for this offseason, right? I still don’t know.”

“This year has been a blast for me, personally,” Kershaw said.

Last week, when the Dodgers secured their ninth division title in 10 years, manager Dave Roberts asked Kershaw to address his teammates before they uncorked bottles of sparkling wine.

“I just think that Clayton epitomizes all that we have done, all that we’re doing,” Roberts said.

Kershaw has triumphed in a year that started with uncertainty. The three-time Cy Young Award winner acknowledged he didn’t know what to expect after a 2021 season in which he injured his elbow in July and reinjured it in the final days of the regular season.

“I didn’t want to go out like that if I could,” Kershaw said.

He didn’t know he would have a choice, even though he was assured his elbow would heal without surgery. He didn’t feel right for most of the winter. He didn’t feel right in the first month of his offseason throwing program, which he started in January.

“I’m thankful for the lockout,” he said.

The lockout afforded Kershaw the opportunity to delay the decision of whether to re-sign with the Dodgers or move to the Rangers, who play within driving distance of his offseason home in suburban Dallas. Shortly before the start of spring training in mid-March, Kershaw signed a one-year deal with the Dodgers.

“If I was healthy and won the World Series, I don’t know what last offseason would have held,” Kershaw said. “Same thing goes for this offseason, right? I still don’t know.”

Retirement wasn’t a consideration.

As he looked into the future, he said he imagined his primary motivation to retire would be either health or performance.

“I don’t want to be hurt,” he said. “It’s just a horrible feeling. You just feel useless. You feel like you’re in the way. I don’t want to deal with that anymore. So if I felt like I was going to get hurt all the time, I don’t want to do that anymore.”

The last time Kershaw made 30 or more starts in a season was seven years ago. His persistent back problems resulted in him being placed on the injured list twice this season.

“At the end of the day, pitching is tough on my back,” he said. “There’s no way around that.”

However, he added, “I can manage it, definitely, and maybe there’s a time where it can last for eight months of the year and be good. I still think that’s in there.”

Regarding performance, Kershaw said, “I also don’t want to be mediocre. I want to be good at what I do. I don’t want to hang on just to pitch.”

He certainly isn’t just hanging on this year, pitching well enough to be one of two locks for the Dodgers’ postseason rotation, the other being Cy Young Award contender Julio Urías.

Kershaw is 9-3 with a 2.39 earned-run average in 19 starts, including 2-0 with a 1.50 ERA in four games since his most recent return from the injured list.

He started the All-Star Game at Dodger Stadium.

The downside has been that he’s been forced to spend more time apart from his growing family.

While his wife Ellen and their four children spent the summer with him, they returned to Texas in August for the start of the school year. Seven-year-old Cali Ann is in second grade. Five-year-old Charley is in kindergarten. Ellen and the children have since made a few weekends visits to Los Angeles.

“Cali’s playing soccer, playing basketball,” Kershaw said. “Charley’s doing all sorts of fun things, kind of getting into baseball a little bit. I don’t want to miss that stuff, either.”

But the children are also a reason for him to continue playing beyond this season.

“I think the cool part about it, too, is they’re getting older where they’re starting to understand what this is a little bit, especially Charley, getting to come into the clubhouse and stuff,” Kershaw said. “There’s part of me that wants them to know what I did, not just, ‘Hey, he did have a job at some point.’”

And if he can extend his career for a few more years, perhaps his children will come to understand that he did more than simply play baseball, that he won, that he dominated, and that he helped establish the culture of baseball’s most consistent franchise.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/story/2022-09-22/clayton-kershaw-leaning-toward-returning-next-season-dodgers-rangers
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject:

^
Maybe if we win a second World Series, those family concerns would push him to accepting a deal with the Rangers this winter. Honestly, how could you blame him, even if we didn't win the Series?

Graterol has been activated, with Bruihl being sent back down.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject:

One thing I dont get is why does his kids have to live in Dallas?

Probably just to be around the grandparents and extended family.

He’s been here his whole career. Has his family always lived in Dallas?

Maybe they dont trust the school system here?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

This is the question for pro athletes. Of course, the athlete has to live in the local area of his team during the season. So the question, essentially, is: does the entire family just live in the team's locale all year, or do you live in your own local area during the offseason and then keep the family there during the player's season? I guess many choose the second option. I know that Chris Paul's family still live in LA during the season, for example. I believe that Mike Trout has always split his time between SoCal during the season and his native New Jersey/Philly area during the offseason. But perhaps that could change as he gets older, since he hasn't had a family with school-aged kids yet. (He got married in 2017 and his son just recently turned 2.) We know that LeBron's family all came to LA for the Lakers' move, of course.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:17 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

This is the question for pro athletes. Of course, the athlete has to live in the local area of his team during the season. So the question, essentially, is: does the entire family just live in the team's locale all year, or do you live in your own local area during the offseason and then keep the family there during the player's season? I guess many choose the second option. I know that Chris Paul's family still live in LA during the season, for example. I believe that Mike Trout has always split his time between SoCal during the season and his native New Jersey/Philly area during the offseason. But perhaps that could change as he gets older, since he hasn't had a family with school-aged kids yet. (He got married in 2017 and his son just recently turned 2.) We know that LeBron's family all came to LA for the Lakers' move, of course.

Yeah, I can understand when a player switches teams. CP3 played in LA for most of his career then moved to Houston and then OKC and then Phoenix.

But when you've been in a place for awhile, and your children are born during that time, I don't understand the choice to live somewhere else.

I mean, people have their reasons, I just don't understand the choice.

I think LeBron's moved his family with him wherever he goes. Kobe was from Philly, he got married here, had kids here and raised his family here.

I think Bellinger still lives in Arizona.

Maybe it's just baseball. I think Ken Griffey moved to Cincinnati because his kids were there. But I don't understand it.

Not saying it's wrong. Not judging. It's just a decision I kind of don't understand.

Especially Kershaw having to be away from his kids from August to maybe October. And then pitchers report in February, so he won't see his kids again until June?

That's just something I don't understand unless the school system is just horrible here.

Yeah, I guess I don't understand how the cons of being away from your kids are outweighed by whatever the pros are for having them live somewhere else.
oasisdude77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:47 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Yeah, I can understand when a player switches teams. CP3 played in LA for most of his career then moved to Houston and then OKC and then Phoenix.

But when you've been in a place for awhile, and your children are born during that time, I don't understand the choice to live somewhere else.

I mean, people have their reasons, I just don't understand the choice.

I think LeBron's moved his family with him wherever he goes. Kobe was from Philly, he got married here, had kids here and raised his family here.

I think Bellinger still lives in Arizona.

Maybe it's just baseball. I think Ken Griffey moved to Cincinnati because his kids were there. But I don't understand it.

Not saying it's wrong. Not judging. It's just a decision I kind of don't understand.

Especially Kershaw having to be away from his kids from August to maybe October. And then pitchers report in February, so he won't see his kids again until June?

That's just something I don't understand unless the school system is just horrible here.

Yeah, I guess I don't understand how the cons of being away from your kids are outweighed by whatever the pros are for having them live somewhere else.

Really doubt somebody with the money that Kershaw makes would really have to worry about the school systems. He can put his kids in the best school in LA if he wanted to.

I truly think, for any athlete, it comes down to the comfortability of their spouses. If you think about it, the athlete has to spend just about ALL of their time training so I can imagine Kersh would want his wife to be somewhere where she's comfortable and has friends and family around as opposed to being, mostly, alone in LA.

I think it's more of a compromise for them to all come when school isn't in session and then go back when it is.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject:

home plate ump is garbage tonight... sigh
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 309, 310, 311 ... 432, 433, 434  Next
Page 310 of 434
Jump to: