Actor Sidney Poitier dead at 94

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject: Actor Sidney Poitier dead at 94

https://nypost.com/2022/01/07/beloved-actor-sidney-poitier-dead-at-94/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

Quote:
Beloved actor Sidney Poitier dead at 94
By Hannah Frishberg and Derrick Bryson Taylor
January 7, 2022 10:09am Updated

Legendary actor Sidney Poitier, whose 71-year career included iconic roles in the classic Hollywood films “A Raisin in the Sun,” “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner” and “Uptown Saturday Night,” has died.

The actor was 94. His cause of death has yet to be confirmed.

The news was announced by Minister of Foreign Affairs Fred Mitchell, prompting tributes, The Independent reported.

The Post has reached out to reps for Poitier for comment.

His trailblazing career, the subject of an upcoming Broadway show, stemmed from humble beginnings. According to PBS, Poitier moved to New York City at age 16 after living in the Bahamas for several years with his family. In the Big Apple, he found work as a janitor at the American Negro Theater in exchange for acting lessons. From there, he took up acting roles in plays for the next several years until his film debut in the racially charged film “No Way Out.”

Race and social justice would become central themes in much of his work throughout the ‘50s and ‘60s.

The Miami-born star earned his first Academy Award nomination in 1959 for his work in “The Defiant Ones.” The nomination was significant to America as he was the first African-American to be nominated for Best Actor. That role also earned him a Golden Globe win and a BAFTA Award.

Poitier broke even more barriers in 1963 with his hit film “Lilies of the Field.” The following year, Poitier became the first African American to ever win the Best Actor at the Academy Awards.

His career continued to climb for several more years. In 1967 he starred in “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner,” an interracial romance comedy that ruffled feathers in America. Then came other memorable films, “They Call Me Mister Tibbs” and “Uptown Saturday Night” opposite Bill Cosby.

While Poitier’s career is legendary, his private life wasn’t as glamorous. He was married to Juanita Hardy, his first wife, from 1950 to 1965. That relationship produced four daughters. During that time also, he engaged in a nine-year affair with Diahann Carroll.

As she described, it was a difficult time in their lives as she too was married. Carroll also claims Poitier convinced her to end her marriage with husband Monte Kay while he ended things with his wife. He never held his end of the bargain and ultimately strung her along.

Poitier remarried in 1976 to Joanna Shimkus and the pair welcomed two children.

In his lifetime, Poitier wrote two autobiographies. “This Life,” published in 1980, detailed his childhood and his troubled romantic life.

He released several more works; “The Measure of a Man: A Spiritual Autobiography (2007)” “Life Beyond Measure: Letters to My Great-Granddaughter (2008).”

“As I entered this world, I would leave behind the nurturing of my family and my home, but in another sense I would take their protection with me,” he said in “Measure of a Man.” “The lessons I had learned, the feelings of groundedness and belonging that have been woven into my character there, would be my companions on the journey.”

Funeral arrangements have not been announced.
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject:

RIP
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject:

I have In The Heat Of The Night saved in my favorites. He and Rod Steiger clashed and in the end became friends of sorts. A spinoff TV Series staring Carol O'Connell and Howard Rollins. Series ran for 7 seasons.RIP Some great clips LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject:

True icon and gentleman.

RIP
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject:

What an ICONIC talent! Eternal Peace to you, Mr. Poitier. 🥀
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject:

I was young but still remember how controversial Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner was. That movie had real star power, Sydney, Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn. I caught They Call Me Mister Tibbs a few months ago, what an ultimate and professional actor he was.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject:

A very talented and classy actor. I’m glad he lived a long life. RIP
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Madden, White, and now this...3 legends in a month. Damn.......

Sidney was one of the greatest actors of all-time. Black, white, yellow, or purple.

Kiss my Converse.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: