Former Yankee outfielder Gerald Williams dies at 55

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Former Yankee outfielder Gerald Williams dies at 55

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/former-yankees-outfielder-gerald-williams-a-close-friend-of-derek-jeter-dies-at-55/ar-AATCTZc

Quote:
Former Yankees outfielder Gerald Williams, a close friend of Derek Jeter, dies at 55
Pete Caldera, NorthJersey.com - 2h ago

New York Yankees icon Derek Jeter made the sad announcement, via social media, that a treasured friend and former teammate had died Tuesday.

“Gerald Williams passed away this morning after a battle with cancer,’’ Jeter said through the Players Tribune. “To my teammate and one of my best friends in the world, rest in peace, my brother.

“My thoughts and prayers are with his wife, Liliana, and their whole family.’’

Start the day smarter. Get all the news you need in your inbox each morning.

Williams, just 55, had two tours with the Yankees and spent the final two years of his career with the Mets, 2004-05.

A gifted defensive outfielder with speed, Williams – nicknamed “Ice’’ – was a 14th round draft pick by the Yankees in 1987.

Williams broke into the majors with the Yankees in 1992, and was a member of the ’96 club, Jeter’s rookie year.

But Williams did not get a chance to play in postseason on that world championship club; he was traded to the Milwaukee Brewers in late August in a deal that brought back valuable lefty reliever Graeme Lloyd.

Williams returned to the Yankees as a free agent in June 2001 and was let go the following June.

During a 14-year big-league career, Williams also played for the Atlanta Braves, Tampa Bay Rays and Florida Marlins, slashing .255/.301/.410 and hitting 85 home runs.

His last postseason appearance came as a member of the 1999 Braves, against the Yankees in the World Series, won by the Yanks.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: