This season is over when we traded for Westbrick
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject:

I would argue that the Westbrook trade was a desperate move after realizing that the window has closed. What would Pelinka care, he won’t be around for the rebuild.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject:

Westbroke is certainly part of the problem. Lots of better trades could have been made. But nobody has a solution for Glass Brow.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
The alternative to either of the above explanations is that the entire organization including LBJ and AD is incompetent and actually thought this roster - allowing/encouraging/featuring LBJ at center for the sake of Westbrook - is actually a winning formula. I would have to think that management/coaches/players must know that WB has always been a mixed bag of star and bum....and that a roster full of short guys, most of whom are over 33 might be too slow to keep up with younger and taller opponents on a nightly basis. Seems relatively apparent to me....

First of all, Davis was supposed to be playing center, not Lebron.

Second, you underestimate the aura of Westbrook, his image, and all of those triple doubles. Before the season started, we were the second favorite (behind the Nets) to win the title on the betting line. We opened at #5 on NBA.com's power rankings even after we went 0-6 in the preseason. I thought the same thing you did, but an awful lot of people thought otherwise.

Yeah that's a good point. Preseason odds really did paint the picture of Russ' "aura", however antiquated.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject:

Agreed, but why would Westy NOT pickup next season's Player Option, one that is high enough to scare away any potential trade partners..

So what you see - is what the team will be next season as well...

Sucks, huh?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Next year Westbrook's contract is actually tradeable... If you're willing to take some bad contracts back and/or give away some draft picks
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
I would argue that the Westbrook trade was a desperate move after realizing that the window has closed. What would Pelinka care, he won’t be around for the rebuild.

This is how I feel and that’s why I’m not so bothered by it. Was I a fan of the move? No. Did I think it would work out? No. But it’s the same move Houston made when their window with Harden was closing and we saw how that turned out.

Desperate move by a desperate franchise trying to win another ring in the Bron era.

I for one am still happy with the one we got and it’s all I wanted out of this. Never expected a dynasty with Bron.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject:

The title makes a lot of sense.
Pelinka is destroying the Lakers.

The signs where there when he was traded so many times.
Never won anything but big stats.
Houston, OKC, etc.
Why couldn't they see that?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I'd call it another quick fix. This has been a long-term pattern for the Lakers that pre-dates Pelinka. Start with Nash and Howard. Go to Mozgov and Deng. Next you get Davis. Then you get Westbrook. The only one of those that worked was Davis. Now we need another quick fix, barring a dramatic turnaround this year. I don't think Jeanie or Lebron will be cool with just riding out all of the contracts next year. It worries me what they might do.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject:

The Westbrook move was desperate and premature...
The Lakers could have gotten DeRozan, which obviously would have been a far better acquisition and not as costly!

No way to make up for this now as Westbrook as proven to be an albatross contract with nothing to offer on either side of the ball, who would want a PG who can't shoot, or dribble and turns over the ball all the time?

Nobody but the Lakers, I guess no one reviewed his stats an analytics prior to coming over to the team.
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject:

I called it long time ago.

Why would anyone trade for Westbrick, I just don’t understand it.

Rob is being paid millions, yet I can make better decisions for the lakers as a part time job.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:22 am    Post subject:

Not to beat a dead horse, sadly I (and many people here) were right. I still remember the day like yesterday. Was excited about the Hield trade then out of nowhere this blockbuster trade for the most overrated superstar of all time. I was shocked especially given lakers literally played Houston and they saw the same deficiencies. Then this trade indirectly lead to letting go of Caruso, making this worse.

Now several months later, it’s even worse than I could have imagined. I knew that this wouldn’t work, maybe we would be 4-6 seed then get bounced in the 2nd round if healthy. But this is an all time low, Russ is basically unplayable. I do think he still some left in the tank, but not for this team. I would not be surprised to see him relatively flourish and avg close to an inefficient triple double and push some sorry ass team to the playin or something.

But one is thing is clear as day, LeGM effed up big time and basically ended his career with the Lakers, if he stays he’s definitely not winning again unless there’s some miracle trade.
Flight#24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:26 am    Post subject:

lakurluv wrote:
The Westbrook move was desperate and premature...
The Lakers could have gotten DeRozan, which obviously would have been a far better acquisition and not as costly!

No way to make up for this now as Westbrook as proven to be an albatross contract with nothing to offer on either side of the ball, who would want a PG who can't shoot, or dribble and turns over the ball all the time?

Nobody but the Lakers, I guess no one reviewed his stats an analytics prior to coming over to the team.

I mean at this point anything would be better than this. Lakers didn’t have to make one move and brought back the exact same, and they would
Be contenders if healthy. DeRozoan’s lack of shooting is a big concern on this team. But he would be 100x better than Westbrook. LeGM and Klutch went for the home run and got burnt
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject:

Well it was LeBron's decision alongside Rob. So these two are to blame. If someone thinks RW is here without permission of Lebron is clueless. Lebron was first and only whom approved this deal. So questions should be towards him. Unfortunately he will never take that responsibility because it would make organization weak. But its public secret. Without Lebron Lakers are not making any decisions related to the roster.
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Well it was LeBron's decision alongside Rob. So these two are to blame. If someone thinks RW is here without permission of Lebron is clueless. Lebron was first and only whom approved this deal. So questions should be towards him. Unfortunately he will never take that responsibility because it would make organization weak. But its public secret. Without Lebron Lakers are not making any decisions related to the roster.

Rob is to be blamed 90%.

It is his job to make the right decision, not listen 100% to Lebron.

Why do we need him if he just listens to Lebron, GM needs to GM.

And Lebron is so dumb for choosing Westbrick too.

God I don’t understand why great players are like such bad talent judge.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject:

let me ask this in regards to thread title. If bron and AD didn't break down would our record look different? hypothetically.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
let me ask this in regards to thread title. If bron and AD didn't break down would our record look different? hypothetically.

Would Bron have broken down as much if he wasn't playing the most minutes per game since he came to LA trying to carry the team because of a 44M offensive and defensive blackhole in Westbrook?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Would Bron have broken down as much if he wasn't playing the most minutes per game since he came to LA trying to carry the team because of a 44M offensive and defensive blackhole in Westbrook?

yes. he's old. Really, really old. He broke down fairly early in the season. He was broken down last year. His injuries linger.

Father time is beating him up.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I disagree only because I don't see Jeannie firing him. I don't think he was desperate. I think he is incompetent and a lackey for LBJ, who probably pulls Jeannie's strings as well.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:32 pm    Post subject:

Russ was a terrible move but it has LBJ's finger prints all over it. He loves star chasing and the big 3 construct but he clearly underestimated just how unable Westbrook is to adjust his game / how washed he has become.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
3baller wrote:
Halflife wrote:

yes. he's old. Really, really old. He broke down fairly early in the season. He was broken down last year. His injuries linger.

Bron played 41 of 42 games before Solomon Hill dived into his ankle. We were 28-14. He didn't break down due to old age.

High ankle sprains usually take 4-6 weeks and 6-8 weeks in some cases. He was back after 6 weeks. His injury didn't linger, we were extra careful with him but he re-aggravated it after playing 2 games and missed another week. There have been cases where high ankle sprains caused much younger players to lose much more time. Lonzo played his last game as a laker after suffering a similar injury in January of that year.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject:

3baller wrote:
Halflife wrote:
3baller wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Bron played 41 of 42 games before Solomon Hill dived into his ankle. We were 28-14. He didn't break down due to old age.

High ankle sprains usually take 4-6 weeks and 6-8 weeks in some cases. He was back after 6 weeks. His injury didn't linger, we were extra careful with him but he re-aggravated it after playing 2 games and missed another week. There have been cases where high ankle sprains caused much younger players to lose much more time. Lonzo played his last game as a laker after suffering a similar injury in January of that year.

I don't care how it happens. Bodies break down with age and you cant withstand, move quick enough or whatever. he's old. Other than offense he plays really old on D. It takes him forever to heal.

this isn't a debate. Next year will be worse, but hey, he's bron.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject:

It's well documented that DeRozan and LA couldn't agree on the money, which makes sense considering what the Bulls eventually paid him.

Hard capping the team with that lineup would've been the perfect move for an ownership that didn't allow Rob to get far into the tax, but it wasn't meant to be. He had two "meetings" at Lebron's house.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
3baller wrote:
Halflife wrote:
3baller wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I don't care how it happens. Bodies break down with age and you cant withstand, move quick enough or whatever. he's old. Other than offense he plays really old on D. It takes him forever to heal.

this isn't a debate. Next year will be worse, but hey, he's bron.

That's bs. There's no evidence that he's taking more time to heal than any other player.

I've said it from the beginning of the season. Russ is the biggest risk to Bron's health. Bron can't keep up playing with Russ' pace at his age. And Russ sucking donkey ass only made it worse because of the extra load and minutes Bron had to take on. Russ was brought in to take load off of Bron but he not only failed to that, he actually made it worse.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: