Lakers waiving Mo Bamba, not picking up Beasley's option (Pg 2)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:12 pm    Post subject: Lakers waiving Mo Bamba, not picking up Beasley's option (Pg 2)

Quote:
The Athletic:

Mo Bamba ($10.3m) and Malik Beasley ($16.5m) are 2 players Lakers appear won’t be bringing back because of their contracts

Based on this, Lakers have until June 29th to make a decision on both Bamba and Beasley’s contract whether they get picked up or let them go for nothing.

There any feasible trade scenario out there, or would Lakers front office as reported to be looking for savings, would end up just letting them walk?
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject:

I mean we get waves of these trade scenarios in the free agent thread, but it moves really fast. If they are looking for savings, for what purpose? I assume if they let Beasley walk, it would be more money to spend.

As for a trade, Bamba's deal is an asset to get another player even on a one year deal from a team in cap hell. Someone had a Royce O'Neale scenario but it would need sweetener, maybe 17 for 21. Some have mentioned a DDR swap as something that this FO may do.

I'm having issues understanding the new CBA coming in on July 1st regarding trades. You used to be able to bring in up to 120% if operating above the threshold. Now it looks trickier and you won't be able to take in as much on the 7/1...so get it done by then. If Jeannie would pay the tax, it just makes sense to utilize the resource of an unguaranteed and an expiring contract, even if it means 17 being part of it. The big 2 have enormous POs in 2 yrs and you're going to have to spend significant money for at minimum 2 yrs for AR and Rui (and DLO likely) anyway.

Even though I want them to keep 17, it makes too much sense to make a big deal for the right package (no reason to reference WB).
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject:

You only keep them if you can trade their contract. Doesn't look like any team would want them
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3 wrote:
You only keep them if you can trade their contract. Doesn't look like any team would want them

As the post above yours mentions, I could see a team viewing Bamba's deal as a positive and thus wanting Bamba, because his contract for 2023-24 is non-guaranteed. A team looking to shed salary could move a contract, take on Bamba's contract, and then waive Bamba and owe him nothing, because his deal is non-guaranteed up until June 29. The Draft is on June 22, so there's some potential wiggle room here.

This is a long way of saying that yes, you only "keep" them if you're trading them. They won't be Lakers when the season starts at those salary numbers.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 2:32 am    Post subject:

The problem is these players dont have trade value. So we will then at the end finished paying repeater tax for Namba snd Beasley??????
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 3:16 am    Post subject:

It has value especially if attached to a draft pick (or 2 picks), but the value may not be there for the Lakers. Because the Lakers on their end would be taking on major salary before FA begins, before even having any official commitment from DLO, Reaves, Rui etc.

So to me, I would be surprised if we make a move using these contracts for a number of reasons.

1- Lakers would likely have to give up future draft picks (in an era AD/Bron won't be likely Lakers).

2- They would then still possibly have to financially commit to Reaves, Rui, DLO etc.

The only scenario where I think we see us make a big move with this is if we have a player they love, and think he is a significant difference maker. In that scenario, we make the trade, then would still try to bring back all 3 of DLO/Reaves/Rui, but could live with the option of losing one, because we made such a big move with the Beasley/Bamba package trade in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:48 am    Post subject:

Beasley doesn’t have to be replaced, the roster…with those that can be brought back in AR/LWIV/Dlo/TBjr/MaxC…has more than enough to make up for his departure at SG.

Bamba however would need to be replaced if he is jettisoned as the team doesn’t have a legitimate backup at C. Sure, the team succeeded somewhat without him but a championship is the ultimate goal and perhaps a healthy Bamba…or his replacement…would be necessary to beat Denver, or even Minny/Memphis if they are full strength at their C position.

I would like to see their salary added with Vandi/ShaqH/17th for a trade with Indy acquiring Heild/Turner. LWIV would be expendable at that point.

Here’s a 7-man playoff rotation for a title next year:
Turner-36min
AD-36min/Rui-36min
LBJ-36min
AR-32min/Heild-32min
Dlo-32min

Regular season or other playoff contributors:
Schro/MaxC/TBjr/Gabe

Deep reserve DNP CD roster additions a vet min for emergencies:
Cousins/JalenMcDaniels/Kemba
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
I mean we get waves of these trade scenarios in the free agent thread, but it moves really fast. If they are looking for savings, for what purpose? I assume if they let Beasley walk, it would be more money to spend.

Lowering the luxury tax bill. Jeanie may surprise us all, but I expect that almost any scenario involving trading Beasley/Bamba for matching incoming salary is a nonstarter. If we had some fantastic opportunity to add a game-changing player, she might consider it. But otherwise, the repeater tax makes it prohibitive.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject:

Even if that fantastic opportunity presents itself, they may just decide to jettison DLO to free up the NTMLE (maybe even then BAE) and also re-sign Lonnie.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Beasley doesn’t have to be replaced, the roster…with those that can be brought back in AR/LWIV/Dlo/TBjr/MaxC…has more than enough to make up for his departure at SG.

Bamba however would need to be replaced if he is jettisoned as the team doesn’t have a legitimate backup at C. Sure, the team succeeded somewhat without him but a championship is the ultimate goal and perhaps a healthy Bamba…or his replacement…would be necessary to beat Denver, or even Minny/Memphis if they are full strength at their C position.

I would like to see their salary added with Vandi/ShaqH/17th for a trade with Indy acquiring Heild/Turner. LWIV would be expendable at that point.

Turner-36min
AD-36min/Rui-36min
LBJ-36min
AR-32min/Heild-32min
Dlo-32min

Schro/MaxC/TBjr/Gabe

No to Turner and Hield.
The page has been turned.
Let’s go after Brook Lopez and another shooter.
SGSD32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject:

I don't know if the Lakers are going over the first luxury tax threshold.. but it would be dumb, imo, to go over the second one.

The Lakers can opt out on both guys and try to keep them around for less $.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject:

SGSD32 wrote:
I don't know if the Lakers are going over the first luxury tax threshold.. but it would be dumb, imo, to go over the second one.

They can try but would you want to take less to return to a team that didn’t allow you to showcase your game? Both were buried on the bench, taking less to go somewhere that will give you minutes makes sense. But I agree with that approach by the team if they can’t get a good trade, I don’t think that Bamba or Beasley are worth their options.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:00 am    Post subject:

Mo Bamba has much more value than Beasley, cheaper and younger too! Keep him, he can be traded. Teams love the word “potential” around former lottery picks.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject:

I haven't watched Mo Bamba regularly but he's one season removed from shooting 38% from three and 78% from the line with a career high in rebounds and blocks.

What happened to make his stock fall so badly?

I get that Orlando has a glut of bigs and Banchero made him redundant... but did something else happen that I don't know about?

Seems the 2022 version of Bamba might be worth 10 million and now that he has a full regular season to work out his issues, maybe he can salvaged.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
It has value especially if attached to a draft pick (or 2 picks), but the value may not be there for the Lakers. Because the Lakers on their end would be taking on major salary before FA begins, before even having any official commitment from DLO, Reaves, Rui etc.

So to me, I would be surprised if we make a move using these contracts for a number of reasons.

1- Lakers would likely have to give up future draft picks (in an era AD/Bron won't be likely Lakers).

2- They would then still possibly have to financially commit to Reaves, Rui, DLO etc.

The only scenario where I think we see us make a big move with this is if we have a player they love, and think he is a significant difference maker. In that scenario, we make the trade, then would still try to bring back all 3 of DLO/Reaves/Rui, but could live with the option of losing one, because we made such a big move with the Beasley/Bamba package trade in advance.

This.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject:

$26 million in the coffers sounds good to me. I'm still on the we don't have to win now bus. It's time to plan for AB (After Bron). Put a 2 - 3 year plan in place. A carefully thought-out plan. No helta skelta Bull Twinkie. Spoiled-ass Lakers fans need to learn to practice patience. I've been riding this Buss since 1960. Seen the Good The Bad And The Ugly. I'ma ride it till the wheels fall off. As I said in the past. We started rebuilding around the same time the Leprechauns did. They're miles ahead of us but Rob has shown he can not only catch up but pass them. Patience fam, patience.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Mo Bamba has much more value than Beasley, cheaper and younger too! Keep him, he can be traded. Teams love the word “potential” around former lottery picks.

https://hoopshype.com/rumor/2099921/

According to Dan Woike, Beasley has a lot of value around the league not just because of his big expiring contract but because teams feel like he can help them with shooting,

Bamba IMO is still a very raw player who can still untapped his potential, obviously from the looks of it it looks like Ham and the coaching staff didn’t trust him and it doesn’t help that Bamba needs to do a better job of putting in work, I think there is quite a few teams who wouldn’t mind taking him on
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject:

$26 million in the coffers sounds good to me. I'm still on the we don't have to win now bus. It's time to plan for AB (After Bron). Put a 2 - 3 year plan in place. A carefully thought-out plan. No helta skelta bull $hit. If Beasley and Bamba's contracts are helpful I have faith Rob will find a way to use them to the Lakers advantage. Spoiled-ass Lakers fans need to learn to practice patience. I've been riding this Buss since 1960. Seen the Good The Bad And The Ugly. I'ma ride it till the wheels fall off. As I said in the past. We started rebuilding around the same time as the Leprechauns. They were miles ahead of us but Rob has shown he can not only catch up but pass them. Patience fam, patience.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Hanging from Rafters wrote:

Turner-36min
AD-36min/Rui-36min
LBJ-36min
AR-32min/Heild-32min
Dlo-32min

Schro/MaxC/TBjr/Gabe

No to Turner and Hield.
The page has been turned.
Let’s go after Brook Lopez and another shooter.

You could be right, (or wrong), the page may have turned on Heild/Turner…we’re all guessing and some of the best deals are the ones we never hear of ahead of time…but the page hasn’t even been opened for Lopez or the mythical shooter you haven’t identified.

It looks more likely to get the guys you say the page has turned on vs Brook…that neither he nor Milwaukee have any incentive to part ways…and “another shooter”. That “another shooter” btw is acquired how? vet min? I don’t know either, just contemplating movement of players that have been actually been reported as being available to be traded by their team. I’d actually prefer some unheard of trade that gets the Lakers something better than a 35 year old Brook and also gets a 3&D 6”8 SF.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

As the post above yours mentions, I could see a team viewing Bamba's deal as a positive and thus wanting Bamba, because his contract for 2023-24 is non-guaranteed. A team looking to shed salary could move a contract, take on Bamba's contract, and then waive Bamba and owe him nothing, because his deal is non-guaranteed up until June 29. The Draft is on June 22, so there's some potential wiggle room here.

This is a long way of saying that yes, you only "keep" them if you're trading them. They won't be Lakers when the season starts at those salary numbers.

I think one of the cap experts said Bamba’s contract has minimal value for cap purpose trades since his contract would have to be guaranteed to the minimum amount required to make a trade legal. So no way to trade him for another 10 mil player and still let the team that traded for him to cut him for nothing. His contract would have to be guaranteed for 8 million (or whatever is enough to facilitate the trade), making the savings minimal.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
socalsp3 wrote:

I think one of the cap experts said Bamba’s contract has minimal value for cap purpose trades since his contract would have to be guaranteed to the minimum amount required to make a trade legal. So no way to trade him for another 10 mil player and still let the team that traded for him to cut him for nothing. His contract would have to be guaranteed for 8 million (or whatever is enough to facilitate the trade), making the savings minimal.

Well if that's true then you can scratch my thoughts on that potential for another team. Perhaps I missed that during discussion about the new rules.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:43 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Twitter right now

https://twitter.com/justrycole/status/1670542041640730625?s=46
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Lakers Twitter right now

https://twitter.com/justrycole/status/1670542041640730625?s=46

For Paul? I sure as hell hope not. 100 percent prefer to keep Dlo for a reasonable sum and 17 over CP3 at full freight.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 9:22 pm    Post subject:

If the Wizards are having a fire sale .... Beasley + Bamba and throw in Vando ... maybe Lakers can get Porzingis?
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
SGSD32 wrote:

They can try but would you want to take less to return to a team that didn’t allow you to showcase your game? Both were buried on the bench, taking less to go somewhere that will give you minutes makes sense. But I agree with that approach by the team if they can’t get a good trade, I don’t think that Bamba or Beasley are worth their options.

What are you lying about?

Beasley literally came in as a starter when he wasn’t even starting. He started all the way to he played himself to the bench. Bamba was a bench guy in Orlando and had a high ankle sprain he said still had not fully healed in his exit interviews. Ultimately they let Troy Brown and Wenyen Gabriel outwork the, post all star break.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: