State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: State of the Lakers in LA (and sports)

activeverb wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
This season really has been one from hell (understatement).

All I ask from the basketball gods is that the Dodgers owners get majority ownership of Lakers. Buss family just can’t hang with today’s sports $$$ environment.

People have been saying this for at least 20 years.

I've seen no indication the Buss family has any interest in selling the team.

Jeanie is 60. I don't get the impression there is much in her life other than the Lakers, so I don't see her wanting to give up her position anytime soon. The money she'd get from selling the team probably wouldn't change her life much; but losing the job running the Lakers would erase her public identity.

Jim and Jesse Buss have important positions on the team, and they are in their mid-30s. I don't know much about them, but they might be eying their turn for the top seat after Jeanie steps down in -- what? -- 10 or 15 years?

it would change her life forever, her income is from the Lakers, and when divided by family members, she probably gets like 20-30 mil.
selling the team gets her a windfall
lakers are valued at 5B, and i expect a huge premium on top of that. 7B is not unrealistic. 66% of 7B is 4.6B ish. every buss kid gets 700-800 mil.

My guess is she already has as much money as she needs to live a very comfortable life and pretty much do whatever she wants to do on a personal level. Even if she made a few hundred million dollars after taxes, I question whether there is anything she could do with the money that would give her as much pleasure as running the Lakers.

Look, I respect dr buss and what he has done, and I think jeanie is a great owner, but the mom and pop style owner just won’t cut it in today’s NBA
Dr buss might be committed to winning at all cost, but he didn’t face today’s luxury rules
Lakers paid a total of 105 mil in luxury taxes from 2007-2014, even less before that. No luxury tax from 2015-2020(yes we didn’t pay tax in our championship year), 6.45 mil last season, this will be the first time they pay out 40-45 mil in luxury taxes and you can tell she is not comfortable with that. Dr buss spent a lot of money pre paying the estate taxes (probably 300-400 mil) every year so he can pass the lakers to his kids.
today’s NBA is just not their game anymore, not building their own arena will generate less income later on especially when LBJ retires. Just look at how warriors operate, they are going to be hit with repeater tax this season and will have no way of getting under it unless they move Wiggins. Chase center is a big reason why they can afford it. Clippers and the nets have rich owners who doesn’t care about the tax either.
I just hope jeanie doesn’t get treated like the Mccourts later on.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject:

I really doubt Jeanie would even consider selling the team. She seems sentimental and emotional, and it seems like she really wants at least one more world championship and to have a parade to celebrate it with the fans.

Oddly, it also seems that of all the Buss kids, Jeanie is the most qualified to run this team. She's the only one with a college degree, and IIRC her degree is in business.

I'd say maybe she needs to bring in a billionaire to become a minority owner or something so that they can afford to go way into lux tax territory and pay key role players to stay with the team and build some kind of continuity from year to year.

If/when the Buss family sells the Lakers, they better not sell it to some corporate fat cat who will merely see the team as a revenue center for his portfolio, where he'll be content with having a player like LeBron to put butts in seats but not go the extra mile to spend tons of money to win championships.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I really doubt Jeanie would even consider selling the team. She seems sentimental and emotional, and it seems like she really wants at least one more world championship and to have a parade to celebrate it with the fans.

Oddly, it also seems that of all the Buss kids, Jeanie is the most qualified to run this team. She's the only one with a college degree, and IIRC her degree is in business.

I'd say maybe she needs to bring in a billionaire to become a minority owner or something so that they can afford to go way into lux tax territory and pay key role players to stay with the team and build some kind of continuity from year to year.

If/when the Buss family sells the Lakers, they better not sell it to some corporate fat cat who will merely see the team as a revenue center for his portfolio, where he'll be content with having a player like LeBron to put butts in seats but not go the extra mile to spend tons of money to win championships.

we can joke about Ballmer all we want, but the dude is a good owner. i hope jeanie can be a minority owner as well, with the way things are going, future is not going to be pretty.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

My fear is that LBJ will be the one buying the team.

If he didn't do it in Cleveland, I'd think he was tanking the team's value so he and Rich can buy it from her... or at least a big share.

If LBJ buys the Lakers, I'm out.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
slavavov wrote:

My fear is that LBJ will be the one buying the team.

If he didn't do it in Cleveland, I'd think he was tanking the team's value so he and Rich can buy it from her... or at least a big share.

If LBJ buys the Lakers, I'm out.

Lebron can’t afford the lakers and I am sure even if he could, he won’t miss us
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: