MAVS -at- LAKERS – 3-1-22 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:38 pm    Post subject: MAVS -at- LAKERS – 3-1-22 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Sorry guys, been sick the last couple days. Not sure if anyone has a recap but post your thoughts here.

UPDATE (now that I've had a chance to get some rest):

Some brief observations from last night:

- LeBron was dead tired and asked to be pulled at one point in the second half. It's probably too big an ask for him to start at C. We saw how dead tired he was in some of those games, as well. For shorter stints, it works. It does help him offensively, but it really trying to activate Westbrook. Give him space to work and get to the rim. So, some of the theory (from LeBron/Front Office) behind the Westbrook trade was to save LeBron from playmaking and relieving that workload. Well, him starting at C is certainly not relieving the workload, as Lakers#1Team mentioned below.

- Also, some credit to the Mavs. I don't know if it was planned or not, but they made LeBron work. Our switching defense had him on the point of attack with more regularity than we see. Props to them. Down the stretch, I think that paid off as our offense didn't have much to close. You could see him just wear down on both ends.

- They talked about Kidd stealing Vogel's defense, but Kidd also ran a ton of the Boston roll plays (high screen, then the big rolls to seal in the paint to create a finishing lane). Lakers struggled with that quite a bit early on. So we stole it from Boston, Mavs/Kidd stole it from us. Fun seeing the lineage of that action. Works great for Luka.

- Team gave up too many iso/straight-line drives last night. I think the switching D worked well most of the time, but we saw more breakdowns on iso than we typically see.

- They picked on Melo a ton. I like seeing Melo on the backline scramming smaller defenders out and playing big. Also like his hands. But he is what he is defensively on iso against ball handlers. You play him, you pay. Kind of surprised we played him that much late.

- Monk missing chippies last night. Too many of those missed layups. He's usually been pretty good, but missed 3 or 4 of those. That was painful in a close game.

- Watching THT/Russ in that first half on the floor at the same time was awful. There was no thought into putting one in the dunker position or using them as screeners. If you can't space the floor like that, you have to really pay attention to occupying the defense in some manner. The fact that it's March and we still don't do this with any consistency is painful. There was an ATO in the second half (can't remember the specific play), but you could see that it was drawn up with this in mind. So it's something they occasionally think about, but it's not in their DNA and it's March. And that's awful.

Last edited by DancingBarry on Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: MAVS -at- LAKERS – 3-1-22 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Sorry guys, been sick the last couple days. Not sure if anyone has a recap but post your thoughts here.
I will leave the recap to posters such as Wolfpacker and others

As I had hoped and anticipated, Vogel shortened his bench and didn’t give Ariza any PT and Dwight only played four minutes

Started well in the first quarter, second quarter was acceptable, team played in the third quarter and faded badly in the fourth quarter

LBJ is a GREAT player, but it is obvious that he is no longer Superman/Bionic Man that can consistently played the team on his shoulder to victory

With Westbrook seemingly a shadow of himself or what he can be, team is now LBJ and others - though the efforts of Johnson, Reeves and Bazemore provided energy not seen often from others

This team doesn’t know how to close. A LBJ ISO with no movement anywhere does not work with AD out - hence highlighting that he doesn’t trust any of his teammates on the floor
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: MAVS -at- LAKERS – 3-1-22 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
LBJ is a GREAT player, but it is obvious that he is no longer Superman/Bionic Man that can consistently played the team on his shoulder to victory

Won't really know until he has NBA talent around him in Cleveland next year, this team is G-Leaguers and future Big 3 MVPs. Lakers have nothing they can do this offseason to get better, no pick, no space, no flexibility. AD and LeBron are the only positive assets, Westbrook as an expiring won't bring enough back until its too late.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:53 am    Post subject:

It's encouraging that the Lakers played with pride and passion for once. In the end we lost to a better team.

LeBron was bad down the stretch, while Luka flexed his clutch gene.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: MAVS -at- LAKERS – 3-1-22 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
Sorry guys, been sick of this team the last couple days. Not sure if anyone has a recap but post your thoughts here.

Fixed.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:50 am    Post subject:

12 pts on 17 shots… nice Russ.

Lebron has now struggled in the 4Q in 3 of the last 4 games. All winnable.

Rough, rough season
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:42 am    Post subject:

See you all next season. Sigh.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:13 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your hard work this season DB, hope you get better soon.

Random thoughts:

Bron - As others have said, you can see the decline in his stamina when the 4th quarter rolls around. He played 38 minutes last night when it should ideally be limited to 30 or 32 at the most. He can't carry the team in the 4th playing that many minutes.

Russ - We all thought at the start of the season that he would take some pressure off of LeBron. But it appears that he has only added more pressure. He did have 8 assists with no turnovers in 38 minutes. But he seemed to kind of fade into the shadows. And still can't shoot. Russ only knows one way to play. Dominating the ball and running the show. That seems to be the only way for him to get into a rhythm. This is the first time he has really needed to take a back seat and it's like learning a foreign language for him.

The rest - Reaves is hitting the rookie wall, THT has regressed a little (or teams are starting to exploit his weaknesses), Dwight is a future hall of famer who can't find a role on this team even though he is productive when he plays, most of our players can't or won't play defense, and a lot of me first, ISO ball instead of learning to trust each other.

Vogel - He isn't to blame for the roster he's been given but he deserves blame for not establishing steady lineups and steady roles within those lineups throughout each game. Part of it is due to injuries but he seems to do the exact opposite substitutions than the entire group of LG game thread posters are expecting or hoping for.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:

Random thoughts:

Bron - As others have said, you can see the decline in his stamina when the 4th quarter rolls around. He played 38 minutes last night when it should ideally be limited to 30 or 32 at the most. He can't carry the team in the 4th playing that many minutes.

Russ - We all thought at the start of the season that he would take some pressure off of LeBron. But it appears that he has only added more pressure. He did have 8 assists with no turnovers in 38 minutes. But he seemed to kind of fade into the shadows. And still can't shoot. Russ only knows one way to play. Dominating the ball and running the show. That seems to be the only way for him to get into a rhythm. This is the first time he has really needed to take a back seat and it's like learning a foreign language for him.

The rest - Reaves is hitting the rookie wall, THT has regressed a little (or teams are starting to exploit his weaknesses), Dwight is a future hall of famer who can't find a role on this team even though he is productive when he plays, most of our players can't or won't play defense, and a lot of me first, ISO ball instead of learning to trust each other.

Vogel - He isn't to blame for the roster he's been given but he deserves blame for not establishing steady lineups and steady roles within those lineups throughout each game. Part of it is due to injuries but he seems to do the exact opposite substitutions than the entire group of LG game thread posters are expecting or hoping for.

we have to stop saying "4th qt". Bron was lackadaisical and invisible in the 1st qt on rotations, playing d. Hes just old. he's still our best player, but that's the problem. we suck.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: MAVS -at- LAKERS – 3-1-22 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:

Take all the rest you need DB, no point in hurrying back, the Lakers are ruining everyone's health this season. Best wishes /get-well-soon.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:

Random thoughts:

we have to stop saying "4th qt". Bron was lackadaisical and invisible in the 1st qt on rotations, playing d. Hes just old. he's still our best player, but that's the problem. we suck.

I agree with your point. I was reflecting on his lack of late game clutch-ness. I wasn't attempting to give a quarter by quarter critique, just random thoughts.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:

I had to hit the sack before the game was over. When I went to bed, we had overcome the big deficit and seemed to be pulling away. I thought this might be a turning point, or at least a course correction. When I got up this morning, I got the bad news.

A couple points here. First, I think folks are starting to see that Reaves was never as good as they imagined him to be. It's not a rookie wall. It's the difference between being an energy guy coming off the bench for limited minutes and being a starter. This roster is so poor that it actually seemed like a good idea to start an undrafted rookie who was originally slated for the G league. Stanley Johnson, though not a rookie, falls into this category, too. Second, you can still see why people thought THT was going to be a star. However, at this point, you can also see the gaping holes in his game. He has never made a leap, and he isn't showing signs that it's going to happen.

As for Vogel, I don't know how you establish a stable lineup with this garbage roster. As for his substitutions, I can remember people in the game thread whining and crying about Phil Jackson's substitutions and rotations. Whenever someone starts complaining about a coach's rotations, my mind sort of switches off. Vogel is the Designated Scapegoat for this dumpster fire, and he isn't without blame. But there are a lot of arm chair quarterbacks who think they know a lot about rotations, but who would get roasted in the game thread if they actually were the coach.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
It's encouraging that the Lakers played with pride and passion for once. In the end we lost to a better team.

LeBron was bad down the stretch, while Luka flexed his clutch gene.

He was bad down the stretch for so many games this season.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:

I had to hit the sack before the game was over. When I went to bed, we had overcome the big deficit and seemed to be pulling away. I thought this might be a turning point, or at least a course correction. When I got up this morning, I got the bad news.

A couple points here. First, I think folks are starting to see that Reaves was never as good as they imagined him to be. It's not a rookie wall. It's the difference between being an energy guy coming off the bench for limited minutes and being a starter. This roster is so poor that it actually seemed like a good idea to start an undrafted rookie who was originally slated for the G league. Stanley Johnson, though not a rookie, falls into this category, too. Second, you can still see why people thought THT was going to be a star. However, at this point, you can also see the gaping holes in his game. He has never made a leap, and he isn't showing signs that it's going to happen.

As for Vogel, I don't know how you establish a stable lineup with this garbage roster. As for his substitutions, I can remember people in the game thread whining and crying about Phil Jackson's substitutions and rotations. Whenever someone starts complaining about a coach's rotations, my mind sort of switches off. Vogel is the Designated Scapegoat for this dumpster fire, and he isn't without blame. But there are a lot of arm chair quarterbacks who think they know a lot about rotations, but who would get roasted in the game thread if they actually were the coach.

Yeah that doesn't get mentioned enough. Going into the season, Baze and Ariza were supposed to be our starting wings.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:03 am    Post subject:

Sorry guys I watched the game, but not well enough to do a recap. I was in and out of the game. It's been a rough season.

What I did notice, we did a good job early of getting the offense going around Bron in a way where there was off the ball movement and cutting. This was opening opportunities for Monk, Reaves, Stanley, big time. Nice to see them start, even with their flaws. At least they have some energy.

Westbrook was just awful. We gave him so much space, and yet he was constantly stopped at the rim. Teams know what he does now and dare him to shoot even the mid-range. Everyone just challenges his shots at the rim, and he's not getting the same seperation and explosive speed as he did in his prime.

When Dwight came in, the Lakers lost the flow and you saw all the momentum swing. 3rd Q we fought back and got it right. Again with that Lebron at the 5 lineup was when our best ball came.

However that close to the game? Sigh. Lebron just messed it up, I felt as did Westbrook. He is still playing in a way where he wants to be loved by his teammates and the fans, when what we need is an aggressive leader who will put everything on his back and strike some fear. It's a situation where you really see why Kobe was such good fit in LA. Westbrook was supposed to step up and had some chances in the 4th, but nothing. This is an ideal situation where you had 2 apparently elite ballhandlers vs a team that has 1, and you failed to close the game again.

Bazemore had a decent night, I thought. Made some shots and took good ones. Defensively also was ok.

What I see is a team that is severely hurting from the Westbrook trade. We don't have the quality of starters/core players that can give you what you need to win as the 2nd/3rd/4th best, but then Westbrook is also not a superstar that can carry you. We thought we traded for a star, but we traded for a player who is only useful if everything runs through him. I really think we should consider bringing WB off the bench. He's practically useless as a starter unless he is scoring at the rim. Teams just sag off him, and he's making it even harder on the other guys.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:06 am    Post subject:

Oh, and get well, DB.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:

Random thoughts:

I agree with your point. I was reflecting on his lack of late game clutch-ness. I wasn't attempting to give a quarter by quarter critique, just random thoughts.

of course.
Rob really put together a clunker, and even when AD was healthy, bron was still our best player. That is the problem.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject:

Play that stood out to me? Even with Dwight, we had Luka coming in off the ball and dunking on us of a put back.

2 years ago, McGee/Dwight/AD don't allow that. Our athleticism level and ability to get up one the rim has faltered big time. Rob thought he was addressing it with Dwight/DAJ. The thing is Dwight's a lot less effective than he was 2years ago, and DAJ is cooked. AD is still capable, but injury prone.

We're not as bad a team as our record indicates, but we're also a pretty limited roster. The only thing this team can do now is pray that IF they make it to the play ins, that AD is healthy 100%, Monk/Melo get hot from 3, Bron gets into playoff mode and the younger guys like Stanley/THT/Reaves bring something extra energy wise. On paper as bad as things are, I still think especially when we play Bron or AD at the 5, we're still capable to win against teams in the 7th-10 position in the West.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:07 am    Post subject:

DB sick and the Lakers playing like they are dead.

Feel better DB, the Lakers I am not holding out hope for.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Play that stood out to me? Even with Dwight, we had Luka coming in off the ball and dunking on us of a put back.

2 years ago, McGee/Dwight/AD don't allow that. Our athleticism level and ability to get up one the rim has faltered big time. Rob thought he was addressing it with Dwight/DAJ. The thing is Dwight's a lot less effective than he was 2years ago, and DAJ is cooked. AD is still capable, but injury prone.

We're not as bad a team as our record indicates, but we're also a pretty limited roster. The only thing this team can do now is pray that IF they make it to the play ins, that AD is healthy 100%, Monk/Melo get hot from 3, Bron gets into playoff mode and the younger guys like Stanley/THT/Reaves bring something extra energy wise. On paper as bad as things are, I still think especially when we play Bron or AD at the 5, we're still capable to win against teams in the 7th-10 position in the West.

Put simply, without AD/Dwight/JAV, we do not have air superiority. We used to snuff out attacks at the rim and lobs and such. Now? Nope.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject:

Feel better DB
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: MAVS -at- LAKERS – 3-1-22 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Laker_Dynasty_01 wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Won't really know until he has NBA talent around him in Cleveland next year, this team is G-Leaguers and future Big 3 MVPs. Lakers have nothing they can do this offseason to get better, no pick, no space, no flexibility. AD and LeBron are the only positive assets, Westbrook as an expiring won't bring enough back until its too late.
Respectfully submit that now is the most opportune time to see where LBJ is at, to compare to a Cav team that had far less talent that LBJ took to The Finals

For those that believe that Vogel’s inability to have continuity and stability with his lineups, hard to do that when there are numerous injuries (AD, Melo, Nunn, LBJ, Bradley, etc) and players not playing well enough to have PY (Jordan, Ariza, Ellington, Westbrook/at times, etc) - plus COVID protocol absences

If Dwight is not a force on offense, he can’t stay on the court for long - UNLESS Monk, Melo, LBJ and/or AD are hitting their outside shots

With Westbrook, THT and others not hitting close chippies; hard to impossible to win games
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Posted some misc. thoughts up top. (Also, I'm probably not covering the next game either. Just too gassed.)

Last edited by DancingBarry on Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

It's typically the most obvious thing that fans see. It does have a lot of merit, but the discussion around it can be really boring. (Especially, in game threads, lol.) The more interesting part for me is, you can run player (fill in the blank), but you need to do x, y and z on offense and defense to make it work.

I've always said playoffs come down to the amount you can maximize two-way minutes, which is easy for guys like AD/LeBron who can hold their own and be impact players on both ends. But when you've got guys with flaws on one end or the other, you have to mitigate those schematically. That's where the roster/substitution talk is more interesting in my opinion. For example, AC was a great defender, you are getting that end of the court every night, but offensively, very limited. But when you have him setting screens for LeBron, where you can force a switch or where AC rolls, gets the ball and now has a 4-on-3, he's much more of a threat and you are getting two-way minutes. You have him setting weakside pin-in flares like he used to do and it creates an advantage for our offense again. You are getting two-way minutes, making those around you better.

The other interesting part in the discussion for me is how certain players/lineups/substitutions/rotations match up. You can get away with lineup x against team y, but not against team z. You can get away with small ball against the Jazz because it pulls Gobert out of the paint and he's not a post threat on mismatches, but you can't do that against Denver and Jokic, who will murder you in the post. And the team is well-coached to exploit double teams with cuts and screens when you send help. Thus, one night lineup x might work well, but not another night. Or rotation x will work well, but not tonight.

Vogel has been in a little bit of a trap with poor roster construction, flawed players and injuries. But he's also had plenty of self-inflicted wounds that probably drive people crazy.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:33 pm    Post subject:

I'll just re-post my comment from after the Pelicans game as, well, they proved it again. Hang in there DB, at least the off season will give you some time off:

Quote:
Thanks DB - not easy to get involved these days so kudos to you for keeping it up.

From champs to chumps, just like that. What's become very difficult is pretty much for...oh...past 30+ games, if not longer, generally speaking the games go like this:

Lakers in 2nd or 3rd get down double digits. If not blown out from thereon (like tonight) Lakers in 3rd or 4th make a push and make it interesting, to which if its a close game at the end they are about less than 50% chance to win it.

So...yea. This team isnt finishing over .500 by the way.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: