MAVS -at- LAKERS – 3-1-22 - DIY Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Posted some misc. thoughts up top. (Also, I'm probably not covering the next game either. Just too gassed.)

PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Darius on the LFR pod. We're not good enough in the half-court for Lebron to slow the game down in the 4th. Unfortunately, he's gonna keep throwing that pitch.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:52 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
I agree with Darius on the LFR pod. We're not good enough in the half-court for Lebron to slow the game down in the 4th. Unfortunately, he's gonna keep throwing that pitch.

Weird, I'm reading this post at the same time I'm listening to this point he's making. haha.

Yeah, I think the pitches probably need to be called from the dugout at that point in the game.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Although, honestly. The dugout is calling some of the same pitches, too.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

As for Vogel, I don't know how you establish a stable lineup with this garbage roster. As for his substitutions, I can remember people in the game thread whining and crying about Phil Jackson's substitutions and rotations. Whenever someone starts complaining about a coach's rotations, my mind sort of switches off. Vogel is the Designated Scapegoat for this dumpster fire, and he isn't without blame. But there are a lot of arm chair quarterbacks who think they know a lot about rotations, but who would get roasted in the game thread if they actually were the coach.

It's typically the most obvious thing that fans see. It does have a lot of merit, but the discussion around it can be really boring. (Especially, in game threads, lol.) The more interesting part for me is, you can run player (fill in the blank), but you need to do x, y and z on offense and defense to make it work.

I've always said playoffs come down to the amount you can maximize two-way minutes, which is easy for guys like AD/LeBron who can hold their own and be impact players on both ends. But when you've got guys with flaws on one end or the other, you have to mitigate those schematically. That's where the roster/substitution talk is more interesting in my opinion. For example, AC was a great defender, you are getting that end of the court every night, but offensively, very limited. But when you have him setting screens for LeBron, where you can force a switch or where AC rolls, gets the ball and now has a 4-on-3, he's much more of a threat and you are getting two-way minutes. You have him setting weakside pin-in flares like he used to do and it creates an advantage for our offense again. You are getting two-way minutes, making those around you better.

The other interesting part in the discussion for me is how certain players/lineups/substitutions/rotations match up. You can get away with lineup x against team y, but not against team z. You can get away with small ball against the Jazz because it pulls Gobert out of the paint and he's not a post threat on mismatches, but you can't do that against Denver and Jokic, who will murder you in the post. And the team is well-coached to exploit double teams with cuts and screens when you send help. Thus, one night lineup x might work well, but not another night. Or rotation x will work well, but not tonight.

Vogel has been in a little bit of a trap with poor roster construction, flawed players and injuries. But he's also had plenty of self-inflicted wounds that probably drive people crazy.

Absolutely. There are also a lot of things that don’t know, like whether a particular player is nursing a minor injury (that even TD doesn’t know about) or whether a particular player is doing well or poorly in practice. Having said that, it’s obvious that a lot of Vogel’s decisions haven’t worked. My overall impression is that he is constantly looking for some combination that works on both ends. It’s been a struggle.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject:

I hope you’re feeling better DB.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Absolutely. There are also a lot of things that don’t know, like whether a particular player is nursing a minor injury (that even TD doesn’t know about)

! Too funny!

But yes I agree. I always suspect that a lot of players are playing through minor boo-boos throughout the season it just has to be the nature of the beast at this level of competition.

(And agree with the rest of your post as well)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: