MAGIC JOHNSON CONFIRMS LEBRON KILLED DEMAR TRADE IN OFFSEASON
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nshid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:34 pm    Post subject:

OP: I get the clickbait but what's up with all caps and alarming choice of words? Bad news much?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:46 pm    Post subject:

nshid wrote:
OP: I get the clickbait but what's up with all caps and alarming choice of words? Bad news much?

to be fair it was reported early then debunked by writers IIRC as being a fake story. debated to death, now it has been validated.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
troy wrote:
Agreed, but it's as I said originally, some people have an absolute hatred for Magic Johnson, as some do for Lebron James. I don't know why, but it's there. So, objectivity takes a back seat in discussions about these legends.

Call it hate if you want, but Magic talks out of his posterior. A lot. Many of us are tired of his bluster and attention seeking. We'll always honor Magic as a player and as a Lakers icon, but sweet Jesus, he can be annoying.

Well said. I loved Magic the player. I consider current Magic a blowhard who is constantly seeking attention, even though he has nothing to say. However, I don't hate Magic; I just think he's pathetic.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:05 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Magic's full of sh**
How could we have kept KCP, Kuz, Harrell, Caruso and get DeMar and Hield??

Huh??

He didn't say we were gonna keep Kuz.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject:

The anger from bron fans is thick regarding what he said. Why so mad?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Maybe LeBron preferred WB over DeMar. That's not that far fetched to think and also not far fetched for Magic to know at least that much.

But obviously that's where his knowledge stops because no chance Hield and DeMar both happened. it was one or the other as Vash did the math to show.

I really wish Magic would just shut the f up at times. What good does disclosing any of that do?

The real mistake was not trading KCP, Dennis and THT last year. We could have potentially won in 2021 but then could have traded Kuz/Trez/1st for DeMar and then brought back Caruso.

Last edited by 2019 on Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
The anger from bron fans is thick regarding what he said. Why so mad?

No one is mad.... None of the things Magic said validate anything. Plus this board was torn between Westbrook and Derozan at the time. Easy to go back now that the Westbrook move has failed.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It's critically important. We ask LeBron and AD about everybody we put on the ball club. It would be foolish of us not to involve them. Now we can't always do everything they want, but every single player on the team, we have run by them and asked."
Kurt Rambis, ">CLNS

Quote:
Rob Pelinka, the general manager of the team, shared his thoughts about Westbrook and why the Lakers decided to add him to the team. “Thinking about Russell Westbrook, there’s two things that come to mind for me as a general manager,” Pelinka said during Westbrook’s introductory press conference.

One is that he’s one of the most liked and respected and beloved players in the league by players he’s played with. He’s an incredible leader. When you talk to teammates from the other storied franchises he’s played for to a man the input you get is that he’s one of the great teammates they played with. And that’s speaks to his character and his leadership. And those are qualities that are incredibly important to our team.

“And then the second thing is, I think he’s in an elite class of players in terms of his competitive nature. One of the core qualities as we build the roster is seeking out guys that have an ultra sense, a heightened sense of being competitive warriors on the court, players that play with the ultimate sort of grit and grind and tenacity. And Russell stands as in an elite class in that category. And that’s drawn us to him.

“And then I would say the last thing that I’ve really seen in the growth of his game is early in our careers I think all of us when we’re young we see things a certain way a lot of his triple-doubles early were done by force. But I think now his triple-doubles are done with force and with thoughtfulness and how he uses the pieces and the players he plays with as teammates and makes the sum of its parts greater than each individual. And I think he’s learned how to think the game at a higher level. So those are some of the qualities that attracted us to this day.”

"It was an opportunity to make an aggressive move that we thought bettered our probability to bring an 18th title to the Lakers," Pelinka said.

"This was an opportunity to maximize the ability to do what we're obsessed to do and that's to bring an 18th title to this city."

Quote:
While reports have indicated that James, Davis and Westbrook had discussions plotting out this move, Westbrook played down those summits on Tuesday, saying that the trio had “brief discussions” around the trade that “happened so fast.” But he also gave his first public indication of what some of the on-court dynamics might look like, saying he saw himself as joining the team James and Davis have already established and he’d attempt to fit in around them.

“I’m coming to a championship-caliber team, and my job is to make sure that I’m able to make (James’) game easier for him, and I’ll find ways to do that throughout the game,” Westbrook said. “There’s many different ways you can impact the game without having the ball in your hands and I’ve been able to do that for many years and we’ll figure it out.”

I think in kind of building the roster in the offseason, obviously we made a big trade for Russell Westbrook to get another playmaker... We knew that as LeBron journeyed towards Year 19 in the league and then Year 20, we couldn’t rely on him as the sole engine for our team, so we made that trade really wanting to dimensionalize the roster with a combination of versatility, guys that could shoot and also defenders,” said Pelinka.

Sure looks like Bron forced the issue and made our helpless FO do something they didn’t want to do. 🙄
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Maybe LeBron preferred WB over DeMar. That's not that far fetched to think and also not far fetched for Magic to know at least that much.

But obviously that's where his knowledge stops because no chance Hield and DeMar both happened. it was one or the other as Vash did the math to show.

I really wish Magic would just shut the f up at times. What good does disclosing any of that do?

That's possible. I think people forget that DeRozan was a debatable choice at the time. He's having a career year with Chicago, so that makes him look better now than he looked back then. Likewise, Westbrook had an aura from all of those triple doubles. Let's not forget all of the people who were thrilled when we got Westbrook. He plays with heart, right? So sure, I can believe that Lebron made the same mistake as a lot of people right here on this board.

But that's as far as I can go. I think the Oram/Charania/Amick article is the most accurate account of how it all went down. Westbrook was the #1 choice, but the Wizards wouldn't make a deal. Hield was the fallback. Then Westbrook called Leonsis and asked for a trade. Here's what they said about DeRozan:

Quote:
The group focused first on Lillard and Beal, but with no viable path to trading for either of them, turned their attention to more realistic targets: Westbrook, DeRozan, Hield and Kyle Lowry, who would eventually pursue a deal with the Miami Heat instead.

There was genuine excitement shared in the player meetings about how DeRozan would fit. Even if he wasn’t the Lakers’ first choice, it was easy to envision a scenario where he would be their best available option.

For the Lakers, according to those with knowledge of the situation, it was imperative to keep as many potential avenues open as possible.

Sources said Pelinka and his front-office group strongly considered executing a sign-and-trade for the 32-year-old DeRozan, giving up Kuzma and Caldwell-Pope in the process, but couldn’t come to consensus terms with the Spurs in free agency or a suitable contract number for DeRozan. What’s more, sources say the DeRozan option never advanced to the point that it was presented to Buss.

While she has long since empowered Pelinka to be the final front office decision maker, the impact of her family’s legacy remains strong. And the Westbrook deal, quite clearly, was seen as the kind of move that would make her late father, legendary Lakers owner Dr. Jerry Buss, smile. If only they could get it over the finish line.

Hield could be had for less: Just the salaries of Kuzma and Harrell were needed to make that deal work. The Lakers could add a career 40 percent 3-point shooter while still retaining the first-round pick as well as Caldwell-Pope, their starting shooting guard and a highly rated defender. The internal debate, it seems, went round and round.

But before Westbrook went to Leonsis, Pelinka had locked in on that deal over pursuing a sign-and-trade for DeRozan, and prompted him to look elsewhere. Plan C, if you will, was unofficially off the table. (DeRozan ultimately landed with the Chicago Bulls on a massive three-year, $85 million deal in a sign-and-trade agreement.)

https://theathletic.com/2848702/2021/09/27/superstar-shopping-lebron-russell-westbrook-and-the-lakers-summer-of-recruiting/

That's more credible than what Magic is saying.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject:

I don't think Magic did a great job while he was President but it's still shocking the lengths people will go to defend the player who has led us to 10th place, 1st place, 7th place 11th place while simultaneously sh*tting on a legit Lakers legend who won us five titles and never finished lower than 2nd and won less than 53 games during every season he was here.

If you are LeBron first fan... I understand this... but if you are a Lakers fan and are crapping all over Magic... I don't get it at all... when LBJ's record here is truly abysmal by Lakers standards.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
I don't think Magic did a great job while he was President but it's still shocking the lengths people will go to defend the player who has led us to 10th place, 1st place, 7th place 11th place while simultaneously sh*tting on a legit Lakers legend who won us five titles and never finished lower than 2nd and won less than 53 games during every season he was here.

If you are LeBron first fan... I understand this... but if you are a Lakers fan and are crapping all over Magic... I don't get it at all... when LBJ's record here is truly abysmal by Lakers standards.

I don't really like the culture of the Lakers under Lebron.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

This isn't the culture under LeBron. Its the culture under Jeanie.

How'd LeBron in Miami go? Arison, Riley and Spo ran the show.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject:

The dismaying part of the season is that the waiver wire non-drafted players on this team played as good as or better than the players that big money was spent on in order to try to win a championship the youth energy guys like Reeves and the other two young big men that they brought in throughout the season and even Augustine played better than the guys that were supposed to be the core players the problem is deeper than just Westbrook he is a symptom not the cause
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:29 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

The leader creates the culture on the court. Wade and Bron created the culture, more so Wade, but I personally don't like Bron's. He has a defeatist mentality, when the team is down. He has "a better luck next game," quitting mentality, when there is still time left on the clock. He is great and smart though.

Last edited by Outspoken on Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

The leader creates the culture on the court.

Culture extends beyond the basketball court. It starts with ownership and down.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:37 pm    Post subject:

TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

On the court, it is the leaders, and I don't like Bron's.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject:

Magic is the only reason I began loving the game of basketball. As a player he’s undoubtedly a GOAT candidate IMHO.

After his playing days he became probably one of the greatest business minds we’ve ever seen. Sure he’s no Steve Jobbs, Jeff, or Elon but he’s pretty dang good.

With all that said,
anything he has to do that’s related with our Lakers has been a train wreck.
I thank him for convincing Lebron to come here if it truly was all his doing but everything else seems like he’s handling it with the same energy as a whiny baby.

Then you pair that whiny baby next to Screamin A. Smith? 😫😫😫
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject:

Not important what happened. It is history.
Important thing is that Lakers need to take all power from players like Lebron during free agency. He shouldn't be the one to make decisions. To ask him about his opinion sure. For him to have power to decide that is recipe for the disaster.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:13 am    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Important thing is that Lakers need to take all power from players like Lebron during free agency. He shouldn't be the one to make decisions. To ask him about his opinion sure. For him to have power to decide that is recipe for the disaster.

He should be traded

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject:

DShotMaker1824 wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

He should be traded

Only for KD or Giannis.
Which is not Happening, and as for a bunch of draft picks being offered no thanks. Paolo Banchero looked like the next Kobe/Lebron hybrid early in the tourney only to get clobbered by UNC’s tough defense. As they just got clobbered by Kansas tonight.

I’d rather continue showing loyalty to our stars as they enter retirement. Gave Kobe the love even after he tore his Achilles which lead to Lebron and AD moving Heaven and Earth to become Lakers.

Which will probably lead to our next superstar we will steal in the future!
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:28 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

On the court, it is the leaders, and I don't like Bron's.

Again pre Lebron this team was a disaster for years. We were competing with the Kings for the worst ownership in the NBA. This team has zero culture and will continue to have zero culture as long as the ownership stays the same.

We got a chip out the Lebron years. Thats enough for me to think it was a success. Ask any fan of a team who hasn't won a chip if they'd be alright with their team being crap for 10 years if it meant they got a chip out of it and 99% would say yes.

If people want real change they would be on board with Jeanie selling this team and adopting a small market mentality focusing on drafting well and betting on the talent to develop well enough for this team to contend.

But Lakers have always been about attracting FA's even though we couldn't even get Lamarcus (bleep) Aldridge to join us lol. Nobody wants to join this (bleep) before Lebron came. As soon as Lebron goes and we trade AD this team should be all in planning long term.

I'll always be grateful for AD and Lebron winning a chip.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:34 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
DShotMaker1824 wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

He should be traded

Only for KD or Giannis.
Which is not Happening, and as for a bunch of draft picks being offered no thanks. Paolo Banchero looked like the next Kobe/Lebron hybrid early in the tourney only to get clobbered by UNC’s tough defense. As they just got clobbered by Kansas tonight.

I’d rather continue showing loyalty to our stars as they enter retirement. Gave Kobe the love even after he tore his Achilles which lead to Lebron and AD moving Heaven and Earth to become Lakers.

I think as soon as Lebron retires or leaves and AD gets traded or stays. This team's sole focus should be to draft well and develop. AD wont want to stay after Lebron leaves. I cant see us being good barring something happens this off season. Lets face it AD cant play a full season with his fragile body. He's not someone i'd want to build around.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject:

TMG wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
DShotMaker1824 wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

He should be traded

Only for KD or Giannis.

I think as soon as Lebron retires or leaves and AD gets traded or stays. This team's sole focus should be to draft well and develop. AD wont want to stay after Lebron leaves. I cant see us being good barring something happens this off season. Lets face it AD cant play a full season with his fragile body. He's not someone i'd want to build around.

I disagree about AD.

This dude loves being a Laker and loves Los Angeles living.
Only place he’d consider is Chicago and that’s a stretch because of the crime and really bad winter weather.

AD has lived in Los Angeles 3 years prior to joining the Lakers, he might be here until he retires too
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject:

KingKobe20 wrote:
TMG wrote:
KingKobe20 wrote:
DShotMaker1824 wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

He should be traded

Only for KD or Giannis.

I disagree about AD.

This dude loves being a Laker and loves Los Angeles living.
Only place he’d consider is Chicago and that’s a stretch because of the crime and really bad winter weather.

AD has lived in Los Angeles 3 years prior to joining the Lakers, he might be here until he retires too

It's time for Rob to grow a sack and do what's best for the team...without a doubt it's trading AD....It's obvious he can't stay healthy...not his fault...it's his body and who he is...trade him to Indy for Turner and Brog...Memphis for Jackson and Bane or Brooks...a 3-way with other teams...whatever it takes...but he needs to go...forget about feelings...what's best for the team is all that matters....as for Bron....he obviously has to be treated at the same level as Kobe...so if he is okay with being traded by all means trade him...but if not Rob needs to continue to build a team around him but not always the players HE WANTS....we all saw how that went.
carjoch831
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:

It's time for Rob to grow a sack and do what's best for the team...without a doubt it's trading AD....It's obvious he can't stay healthy...not his fault...it's his body and who he is...trade him to Indy for Turner and Brog...Memphis for Jackson and Bane or Brooks...a 3-way with other teams...whatever it takes...but he needs to go...forget about feelings...what's best for the team is all that matters....as for Bron....he obviously has to be treated at the same level as Kobe...so if he is okay with being traded by all means trade him...but if not Rob needs to continue to build a team around him but not always the players HE WANTS....we all saw how that went.

But you are trading him for another injury-prone player/s.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6
Jump to: