MAGIC JOHNSON CONFIRMS LEBRON KILLED DEMAR TRADE IN OFFSEASON
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Lakers didn't want to give DD a third year. That shouldn't come as a shock because they've been wanting clean books going into 2023 for some time now.

Ignore the logistics of Kuz for Buddy + keeping Caruso. That obviously is not plausible. The largest issue here is Lebron's constant need to control organizations and shift the blame when it doesn't work out.

As he said "he doesn't push not buttons round here" - he just plays passive aggressive games & pushes Lobos content when he gets his way and things to bear fruition.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I was so disappointed that LeBron sat at Sunday's game against Denver. With the Lakers still having an outside chance of making the play-in, could you have imagined Kobe sitting out a game like that?

I'm beginning to understand what Kobe's insane drive to win meant for the team.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
troy wrote:
Agreed, but it's as I said originally, some people have an absolute hatred for Magic Johnson, as some do for Lebron James. I don't know why, but it's there. So, objectivity takes a back seat in discussions about these legends.

Call it hate if you want, but Magic talks out of his posterior. A lot. Many of us are tired of his bluster and attention seeking. We'll always honor Magic as a player and as a Lakers icon, but sweet Jesus, he can be annoying.

Well said. I loved Magic the player. I consider current Magic a blowhard who is constantly seeking attention, even though he has nothing to say. However, I don't hate Magic; I just think he's pathetic.

Agree with a lot, but as far as nothing to say, isn't he typically in the role of a Jeannie surrogate when he gets on the shows?

Magic doesn't have any official position with the Lakers anymore, so I don't think anyone assumes he is speaking for the organization or for Jeanie. He's just Magic speaking for Magic.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
I love how when magic says something that bums people out, he's "not really a fan" of the team.

I agree with you. I'm not a fan of Magic as an executive of this team, but his comments are like hard-core Laker fans. Lol
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:07 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
focus wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
troy wrote:
Agreed, but it's as I said originally, some people have an absolute hatred for Magic Johnson, as some do for Lebron James. I don't know why, but it's there. So, objectivity takes a back seat in discussions about these legends.

Call it hate if you want, but Magic talks out of his posterior. A lot. Many of us are tired of his bluster and attention seeking. We'll always honor Magic as a player and as a Lakers icon, but sweet Jesus, he can be annoying.

Well said. I loved Magic the player. I consider current Magic a blowhard who is constantly seeking attention, even though he has nothing to say. However, I don't hate Magic; I just think he's pathetic.

Agree with a lot, but as far as nothing to say, isn't he typically in the role of a Jeannie surrogate when he gets on the shows?

Magic doesn't have any official position with the Lakers anymore, so I don't think anyone assumes he is speaking for the organization or for Jeanie. He's just Magic speaking for Magic.

@activeverb The timing of his comments and his still frequent dialogue with Jeannie suggests to me that he could have came on air at the behest of Jeannie. I think they wanted to get ahead of the narrative the moment they lost to Denver and sealed their fate.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
activeverb wrote:
focus wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
troy wrote:

@activeverb The timing of his comments and his still frequent dialogue with Jeannie suggests to me that he could have came on air at the behest of Jeannie. I think they wanted to get ahead of the narrative the moment they lost to Denver and sealed their fate.

he has a doc out
https://www.apple.com/tv-pr/news/2022/02/apple-announces-they-call-me-magic-the-four-part-real-life-story-of-earvin-magic-johnson-set-to-debut-april-22-on-apple-tv/
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

Magic has been doing a bunch of media appearances to promote a documentary about him, "They Call Me Magic."

I have no reason in particular think he was appearing at the behest of Jeanie, or passing on information from her.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
Lakers didn't want to give DD a third year. That shouldn't come as a shock because they've been wanting clean books going into 2023 for some time now.

Ignore the logistics of Kuz for Buddy + keeping Caruso. That obviously is not plausible. The largest issue here is Lebron's constant need to control organizations and shift the blame when it doesn't work out.

As he said "he doesn't push not buttons round here" - he just plays passive aggressive games & pushes Lobos content when he gets his way and things to bear fruition.

Wonder if this will be the year the Lakers realize you can trade players if you don't want them on a future cap sheet.

And what star FA are they keeping their cap sheet clean for in 2023? Help me out here.

What is the opposite of galaxy brain? Molecular brain? Quark brain? Whatever it is, that's our FO.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:41 pm    Post subject:

troy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
troy wrote:
I heard the interview. How you respond to it will depend on whether or not you like Magic Johnson, as a person.

Like Lebron, there are two camps for Magic Johnson, those that like him and those that hate him. Those that hate him will ignore the message and attack the messager. They will be skeptical of the validity of Magic's opinions, as well as his motivation.

You're probably right.

I have no doubt that Lebron supported the Westbrook trade. That said, Magic is given to hyperbola, exaggeration, and self-aggrandizement, so you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

It's clear that Magic doesn't understand the salary cap rules, and he suggested a number of things could happen which would literally be impossible under the rules if we had done a sign-and-trade for DeRozan.

Because of all that, I suspect this story will be a shrug. The people who already dislike Lebron will get hot and bothered by it for a day. People who like Lebron will say it's nonsense. Those in the middle won't care about it much.

Legendary basketball players can also be self centric knuckle heads which is true for a few of the Lakers legends. I dont care for them beyond their game...Magic is a class case of that.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Magic has been doing a bunch of media appearances to promote a documentary about him, "They Call Me Magic."

I have no reason in particular think he was appearing at the behest of Jeanie, or passing on information from her.

Magic used to do that show for Jeanie when she was busy running down her brother...that was part of him getting the President of Basketball operations job. Now that serves no purpose as Jeanie and her posse are in full control of basketball operations.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Wonder if this will be the year the Lakers realize you can trade players if you don't want them on a future cap sheet.

And what star FA are they keeping their cap sheet clean for in 2023? Help me out here.

What is the opposite of galaxy brain? Molecular brain? Quark brain? Whatever it is, that's our FO.

Under the current CBA...no real star is getting to free agency as they sign massive extensions and figure out where they want to go after getting the money.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
troy wrote:
activeverb wrote:
troy wrote:
I heard the interview. How you respond to it will depend on whether or not you like Magic Johnson, as a person.

Like Lebron, there are two camps for Magic Johnson, those that like him and those that hate him. Those that hate him will ignore the message and attack the messager. They will be skeptical of the validity of Magic's opinions, as well as his motivation.

You're probably right.

I have no doubt that Lebron supported the Westbrook trade. That said, Magic is given to hyperbola, exaggeration, and self-aggrandizement, so you have to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

It's clear that Magic doesn't understand the salary cap rules, and he suggested a number of things could happen which would literally be impossible under the rules if we had done a sign-and-trade for DeRozan.

Because of all that, I suspect this story will be a shrug. The people who already dislike Lebron will get hot and bothered by it for a day. People who like Lebron will say it's nonsense. Those in the middle won't care about it much.

Legendary basketball players can also be self centric knuckle heads which is true for a few of the Lakers legends. I dont care for them beyond their game...Magic is a class case of that.

Yup, sadly Magic is probably the biggest case of this for me across all sports of players I loved during there career but had a polar opposite affect for much post playing days (mostly the last few years though tbf).

Saying that though I still can separate the two and appreciate the hell out of the player Magic still much like I do with Jerry West (I have zero interest in the majority of what he says or does in recent times).

With Bron I think it helps tremendously for me at least I couldn't care less about any athletes personal life so while I don't vibe with some of the things I have seen off the court in passing it doesn't make me like/dislike him more on the court. At the end of the day he does seem like a good dad/husband and does a ton of Charity work so I can appreciate that at least.

This new story is probably true as many people here thought that was the case anyways but obviously Magic adds his own "Magic" touches to most stories without much real thought and you can see the clear holes in them which makes it hard to trust anything he says fully. At least he clearly loves the Lakers still.
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
I don't think Magic did a great job while he was President but it's still shocking the lengths people will go to defend the player who has led us to 10th place, 1st place, 7th place 11th place while simultaneously sh*tting on a legit Lakers legend who won us five titles and never finished lower than 2nd and won less than 53 games during every season he was here.

If you are LeBron first fan... I understand this... but if you are a Lakers fan and are crapping all over Magic... I don't get it at all... when LBJ's record here is truly abysmal by Lakers standards.

I don't really like the culture of the Lakers under Lebron.

This isn't the culture under LeBron. Its the culture under Jeanie.

How'd LeBron in Miami go? Arison, Riley and Spo ran the show.

The leader creates the culture on the court.

Culture extends beyond the basketball court. It starts with ownership and down.

On the court, it is the leaders, and I don't like Bron's.

Again pre Lebron this team was a disaster for years.

We can agree to disagree to that statement because the Lakers were rebuilding, but even by that logic, who was the leader on the floor? A leader changes the dynamic of a team on the floor; like Chris Paul on the Suns. It can be the extension of the coach Ala Pop and Duncan or the leader on the floor is bigger than the coach Ala Lebron, or a combination of the 2 Ala Phil and Kobe. The leader can drive the team to success. Lift them up, when things get rough. To be honest, I don't know if Bron ever wants to be the leader

Alright then Lebron as the leader of this team on the court brought us a title in 2020. If i am to blame majority of this teams downfall on him then by the same logic he gets the bulk of credit for the title we won.

Alternatively culture is built from ownership down. What culture did this team have pre Lebron or even now? We have no culture and no identity. You have people on here saying we should treat our stars good because it might attract future stars to come.

Hell we treated a broken down Kobe well and nobody came knocking on Jeanies door wanting to join the team. Fact of the matter is this team was dysfunctional pre Lebron in a major way. I dont see how people can deny that.

Nobody wants to join this dysfunctional mess. Thats why ownership has to go and the FO with them. Adopt a small market mentality and develop talent.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:13 pm    Post subject:

TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
I don't think Magic did a great job while he was President but it's still shocking the lengths people will go to defend the player who has led us to 10th place, 1st place, 7th place 11th place while simultaneously sh*tting on a legit Lakers legend who won us five titles and never finished lower than 2nd and won less than 53 games during every season he was here.

If you are LeBron first fan... I understand this... but if you are a Lakers fan and are crapping all over Magic... I don't get it at all... when LBJ's record here is truly abysmal by Lakers standards.

We can agree to disagree to that statement because the Lakers were rebuilding, but even by that logic, who was the leader on the floor? A leader changes the dynamic of a team on the floor; like Chris Paul on the Suns. It can be the extension of the coach Ala Pop and Duncan or the leader on the floor is bigger than the coach Ala Lebron, or a combination of the 2 Ala Phil and Kobe. The leader can drive the team to success. Lift them up, when things get rough. To be honest, I don't know if Bron ever wants to be the leader

Alright then Lebron as the leader of this team on the court brought us a title in 2020. If i am to blame majority of this teams downfall on him then by the same logic he gets the bulk of credit for the title we won.

Alternatively culture is built from ownership down. What culture did this team have pre Lebron or even now? We have no culture and no identity. You have people on here saying we should treat our stars good because it might attract future stars to come.

Hell we treated a broken down Kobe well and nobody came knocking on Jeanies door wanting to join the team. Fact of the matter is this team was dysfunctional pre Lebron in a major way. I dont see how people can deny that.

Nobody wants to join this dysfunctional mess. Thats why ownership has to go and the FO with them. Adopt a small market mentality and develop talent.

Yup, we were literally the entire NBA's punchline for jokes. Every part of the organization was an absolute disaster at the time from Ownership alllllllll the way down.

I think in every stop you can see the good and bad from Bron but if it brings a Championship i'm personally good with it as much as it sucks this season. Our young players sure as hell weren't going to get us a Championship even with continued growth imo.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
activeverb wrote:
focus wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
troy wrote:

I agree that this may have Jeanie written all over it. This is her MO. In regards to Magic. She had this to say....

Quote:
“To me, he’s still working with us,” Buss said. “In terms of an official capacity, in the NBA, you have to be very clear as to who can negotiate on your behalf and who can’t. So he doesn’t have that official designation. But in terms of his support, his wisdom, his insight, I freely call on him as needed.”

Then you have Magic recently saying how he is close and talks to Jeanie often and he is gonna be apart of the Lakers in some capacity again soon and then gave his little smirk. So I wouldn't doubt that this is Jeanie. To me and it was reported that he isn't with the Lakers officially because "he wants his freedom." He was getting fined, he couldn't tweet or say the things he wanted to say, he felt handcuffed and that isn't Magic.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject:

TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

We had several leaders on 2020. We had Rondo, Danny Green, Bron, and Dudley. The main one, and who Vogel considered the extension coach was Rondo.

Last edited by Outspoken on Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

We had several leaders on 2020. We had Rondo, Danny Green, Bron, and Dudley. The main one, and who Vogel considered the extension coach was Rondo.

Yeah but Lebron was the main guy. Lebron was the one everyone was following. I mean we had Rondo this season and were still garbage. I remember people on this forum absolutely hating Danny Green for the majority of his time here lol.

I mean he led by example in 2020 through his play and the rest of the team followed right? So Lebron should get the bulk of credit as the leader of that team. Now i dont believe that but im just trying to be fair here.

Sure Rondo gets some cred. But the bulk of it belongs to Lebron.

I mean Vogel called Lebron the best leader he's ever been around. So who should i listen to? You or Vogel?

https://twitter.com/LakersReporter/status/1311013685620424704?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1311013685620424704%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Flakersdaily.com%2Ffrank-vogel-lebron-james-hes-best-leader-ever-been-around%2F

Last edited by TMG on Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
ZeroDark30_
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
This is cap 🧢. Not that Magic said it but it really wasn’t possible unless DROZ would have taken the MMLE or Popovich joined the Lakers. Lots of agendas coming out now and I hope this doesn’t mean my favorite Laker all time is coming back to manage the FO.

Magic trying to paint LeBron as the bad guy out of nowhere… I might be in the minority but I believe LeBron moves on after this season. I don’t think he even returns next season. A mutual parting
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
ahaider wrote:

Under the current CBA...no real star is getting to free agency as they sign massive extensions and figure out where they want to go after getting the money.

Which is why the only superstar FA the Lakers have any hope of requiring is an aging one whose current team is hesitant to sign to another max deal.
Killer_Z
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject:

The disrespect towards Magic on this forum is sickening. If you do not agree with him, just say so. Do not pretend you know the man. You know nothing.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Magic is not fan of the Lakers. he just like every other sport media person out there, using Lakers to draw readers/followers. only difference is he's doing it under the assumption he actually "cares" about the team and Jeannie Buss. i'm about to puke.

the day these ex-Laker can just enjoy their retirement and not worry and talk about the lakers in public is a first step to rebuild this franchise.

Buck loves the Lakers, stop with the disrespect. Has Rob given any interviews lately?
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject:

TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
TMG wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

Yeah but Lebron was the main guy. Lebron was the one everyone was following. I mean we had Rondo this season and were still garbage. I remember people on this forum absolutely hating Danny Green for the majority of his time here lol.

I mean he led by example in 2020 through his play and the rest of the team followed right? So Lebron should get the bulk of credit as the leader of that team. Now i dont believe that but im just trying to be fair here.

Sure Rondo gets some cred. But the bulk of it belongs to Lebron.

I mean Vogel called Lebron the best leader he's ever been around. So who should i listen to? You or Vogel?

I look at the demeanor of the team and Lebron's attitude vs when we had Rondo, who Vogel said was a huge blow when we lost him because he was like a 2nd head coach. The teams demeanor was actually better when he was here. Lebron, right now doesn't have anyone to pick up the leadership slack. He's a front runner, and not a catch up type of person when he falls behind. So he quits in a sense, that he stops giving it his all and has a "better luck next time" attitude. Sure, he scores and provide stats. He still loves individal records. He wants that scoring title right now, so that is what he is gunning for. He will play when we play a weak team and shoot, but he doesn't deal with adversity well. With the 2020 team, we were almost always in the front and had a lot of good leaders. Had great chemistry, and a fitting team, that played for each other. We were like 56-0 when leading in the 3rd quarter. That team was really good.

Now we have this team.... who rallies everybody together and say we gotta get it together? You have Bron literally telling the media the team isn't good enough, not once, but twice. As a fan, you say "well that is true," but as a competitor and teammate, that is a huge blow. If we look at Kobe for example, Even when Kobe had Kwame, Smush, Luke Walton, Chris Mihms, he never said that. Granted, he was in his prime and he would possibly say it in the off season; like give me better or I'm out lol Lebron made the excuses of injuries, Kobe didn't say the lakers weren't good enough, even when he had a lot of injuries in 2013. He actually started playing every minute to push the team to the playoffs. Now that isn't smart and led to him tearing his achilles, but Kobe never gave an excuse. Not even when he was on his last leg, ready for retirement. Not to compare him to Kobe. They are apples and oranges, you just mentioned him earlier, so I used him.

Lebron isn't necessarily on his last leg, but he isn't prime Bron anymore. I don't expect him to carry the team, but I don't rock with his defeatist mentality. He's been had that mentality, that's why he needs a player to counter it; like Wade or when Kyrie was talking to and being mentored by Kobe with Bron and the other leaders on the Cavs; even Ty Lue, who didn't bend backwards for Lebron. I thought that maybe Russ could counter it, but he is a lead by example type of player and his skillset, next to Bron and Vogel as a coach isn’t a good example. If you are just left with Bron's leadership, the rest of team may not be able to get over the hump.

To your original point, I'm not saying that the front office doesn't play a significant role in getting the players, and our FO isn't good. We are dysfunctional, and we need a better culture in the FO, but on that floor and in that locker room, the players and the coach create the culture, predicated on the leader. I mean, when the FO gets a superstar player, the FO usually gets players to compliment them and players that they possibly want, they can even get coach's fired. To your point as well, Bron couldn't do that with Heat because of the owner and Pat, even Wade. Wade possibly held more weight than Bron on the Heat.

Last edited by Outspoken on Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:34 pm; edited 5 times in total
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
activeverb wrote:
focus wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
troy wrote:

Magic was scheduled to come on First Take two weeks ago. Please stop with the Jeannie conspiracy theories.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject:

I got stuff to post in this thread, but refuse to do so till @TMG fixes that link that’s got this page doing all sorts of yoga stretches on my phone haha.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:25 am    Post subject:

Will he say KD's agent called him to sign with the Lakers next?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6
Jump to: