LBJ P&M Doomsday Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:25 pm    Post subject:

Failure? I wouldn’t say that. We won a title during the Lebron era, only the raptors and bucks can say the same thus far.

As soon as we got AD, we were expecting to be in the WCF each season so that has been disappointing. I fully believe we would have been there last year if not for injuries….not this year though.

But this is what happens when you put all your hopes on an aging superstar. At some point the wheels are gonna fall off…and Lebron is no longer the Ironman he once was. Our title window was always gonna be short, it just got shorter because of the injuries.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:03 pm    Post subject:

1 title in 4 seasons? I’ll take that every time, especially when the Lakers won it for Kobe.

That other team that has 17 titles….? They’ve only won 1 title going back 30 years.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject:

😂

I expect 100 more threads likes these
dumpaling
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Not a failure, but a disappointment.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:
1 title in 4 seasons? I’ll take that every time, especially when the Lakers won it for Kobe.

That other team that has 17 titles….? They’ve only won 1 title going back 30 years.

Unfortunately they are closer to a title currently and in the future than the Lakers are. Unless we get actual NBA pros in the FO it could be a dry spell. That is partially what turned the tide for Boston.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 seasons, 2 no playoff years, 1 first rd. exit - at what point do we acknowledge that Lebron as a Laker has been mostly a failure?

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
Or at the very least a massive disappointment?

YES, there is one bubble chip in a shortened season in front of no fans in Orlando to show for it. But is that worth what's been sacrificed for it?

There is a very strong argument that the correct answer is a resounding NO.

Not sure what was sacrificed. They still have two players who are better than anyone they drafted.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject:

I don't like what's going on, but I don't write off the chip either. This is why people say LA fans are spoiled, and they are right. How many chips do we win without Lebron? Now remember, many here were pissing and moaning about Jim Buss, you wanted change, you got it. You also got a chip out of it. We may be better off without going the Lebron route, but championship level better off? Or Lake Show era level better off? Exciting basketball from home grown kids for sure, but we haven't traded any "once in a lifetime" players. Going from Magic to Kobe was extremely lucky. I don't know if fans truly appreciate the astronomical odds of that. We were due for a dry spell if it weren't for Lebron. We'd be like the Celtics, looking back at our last chip from 2010, not 2020. Only difference between us and Celtics is we got Lebron to break the dry spell. Now we are 2 yrs from our last chip, while the Celtics are 14 yrs. Bulls are 24 yrs and counting. They went from MJ to who? To a string a potentials, nothing more. Wouldn't the Knicks love a chip? It ain't easy man. But Laker fans gripe and moan like it's supposed to be ours every year, and the reason it's not is because of this guy, that guy, this player, blah, blah, blah.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:06 pm    Post subject:

The first year Paul George Flaked.

We ran with Lebron and the kids. I was excited about this to see how the kids and Lebron would mesh.

Unfortunately we kept Luke as the coach and we got hit by the injury bug.

We were playing good basketball before Lebron got hurt on Christmas.

Year 1 was not that disappointing.

Year 2 we got AD and won a chip. Only disappointment is I believe we bid against ourselves in that trade and allowed our selves to be fooled by kawhi.

AD made it clear he was coming to LA and LA only. Keeping BI or Zo might not have been possible, but Josh Hart and the #4 pick couldve been kept. Instead we gave up everyone but Kuzma lol.

Our team then navigated a tragedy with the loss of Kobe and we won the chip in the bubble. People down play the bubble championship, but the mental toll it took on everyone there to be away from their families and routines can’t be understated. I’m glad we won that title.

Year 3 my only disappointment was AD came in out of shape.
If we did not get injured I fully believed we could’ve repeated. Lebron was playing at an MVP level before Solomon Hill happened and AD was single handedly owning the suns in the first round.

Year 4 was the biggest disappointment by far.

Trading for Russ while giving up KCP and Kuzma was horrible.
Not bringing back Caruso was ridiculously stupid.
We didn’t make an effort to bring back Drummond, Wes, and Keef. Wes and Keef being guys that were dying to come back if called (along with Caruso).

Making Frank a lame duck coach with a half azz extension while bringing in guys that are slow or can’t play defense.

If they were not gonna support their coach they should’ve canned him and just promoted J kidd.

Year 4 is by far the most disappointing from a coaching and organizational standpoint.

Also hyping up THT and not including him in trades to turn around and trade all our assets for a guy who plays the same style and will hinder the kids growth.

This year has been a mess all around and so is this post of mine. Just needed to vent lol.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject:

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
The Lebron plague is real. He comes with promises of glory, but you must empty all reserves and assets to get there. We won a ship but at what cost? No parade, lost all out assets, our "future" star can't stay healthy. Yeah we won a chip but damn, next few years aren't looking very fruitful. His personality is a bit much for me, so passive aggressive when things aren't going completely his way.

100% agree.

We sold the soul of the franchise for him, and all the baggage that comes with it.

And a championship if we’re gonna call balls and strikes let’s go balls and strikes regardless of where this franchise goes forward we did in fact win a championship with LeBron
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:27 pm    Post subject:

It’s look in the mirror time for the franchise there’s no doubt of that however people that are discounting the fact that we won a championship with LeBron are idiots but it’s not about what you did yesterday it’s about what you’re going to do today and tomorrow in this league
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:31 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mostly a failure and "won a Championship in 1 year, would have won 2 if not for injuries" isn't mostly a failure.

Every season that "failed" came down to injuries.

Would we really have won last year even if fully healthy? Phoenix this year is showing that they are the real deal— they may have gotten it together after being down 2-1. And I don’t know that we would have beaten the Bucks either.

If we had managed to get past Phoenix, the next two rounds would have been pretty easy— Denver without Murray and the Clippers without Kawhi.

If we were fully healthy, we wouldn’t have been playing the Suns in the first round.

Thank you!
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject:

Lebron is toxic.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:46 pm    Post subject:

XTC wrote:

🙏🏀🙏🏀🙏
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: 4 seasons, 2 no playoff years, 1 first rd. exit - at what point do we acknowledge that Lebron as a Laker has been mostly a failure?

KobeIsTheOne wrote:
Or at the very least a massive disappointment?

YES, there is one bubble chip in a shortened season in front of no fans in Orlando to show for it. But is that worth what's been sacrificed for it?

There is a very strong argument that the correct answer is a resounding NO.

We as Laker fans equate success with Championships. Everything else is a failure.
LeBron has won a chip in 25 % of the years he's worn the Laker uniform.
Kobe had that same rate of winning a championship when wearing the Laker uniform (5 for 20)

So I guess that means that Kobe was mostly a failure then too?
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject:

I never liked LJ and never will. That being said, let's not kid ourselves into thinking we would have won a chip without LJ (either though we were very lucky to do so). Our team was non relevant before he came here and we are rapidly heading (if not already there) towards that direction now. I still think there is a chance we can compete next season (with a lot of luck), but after that we are toast. We are going to be in the dog house for a LONG time and we will not have salvation from the draft (no picks) or free agency (take a look at our history or lack thereof). We are a spoiled fan base and it is going to get ugly in the next couple of years.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject:

1 championship out of 4

That's a 25% chance at a ring every year, when there are 30 other teams

Not sure that's a failure
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject:

1 ring
1 assist champ
1 scoring champ
2nd place DPOY
2nd place MVP
1 play in
2 lotteries

Grade: B+
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject:

Our title was fluky imho since Miami made it to 4 straight Finals with Bron & the Cavs 2.0 also made it to 4 straight Finals.

We were mostly a non title threat that needed to exploit a pandemic with Bron’s 4 years here. Yikes!

Our FO failed and there’s no other way to look at it….at least from my vantage point.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

JamaalWilkes wrote:
Lebron is toxic.

I disagree with this. Hes just not as good as people hoped. He clearly has the personality traits of an elite player but he's just not that.

His cry for help was demanding Russ. He knew he could no longer control the ball. Unfortunately its the old dog new trick deal.

Then once malone got close he got the score only disease and never even tried to be a team player.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject:

This most recent Laker NBA Championship is surely the least appreciated Laker title in the history of the franchise. Which is sad, but a reality. I don't think fans would self-sabotage and contribute that to the bubble. So, I can only assume that's because of Lebron James's presence.

I appreciate what James has done for the Lakers. We were irrelevant for years before he came, and when he did arrive, he quickly came in and earned us #17. And he did this in a year that we lost Kobe Bryant. So, I will always be grateful for Lebron for that.

That said, to be frank, I've never really liked Lebron James. I felt he was entitled when he came in his first season. I felt he was overexposed. And then my dislike of him accentuated when he was with Miami, and then there was that arrogant "Decision", and his contribution to that unfair Heat team intentionally stacked up to dominate the league. I hated the Heat and Lebron with a passion back then.

Along with Lebron, I also hated Russell Westbrook. I hated his attitude, and I always remembered when he gloated when we lost out on Paul George. Two players I hated, that I never felt would be Lakers, are currently playing for my Lakers, and that's been a hard pill for me to swallow.

As a person, Lebron is just fine. He's socially aware. He sticks up for civil rights issues. I respect that. As a player, he's an incredible and durable talent; not a great closer, but easily one of the greatest ever. And as a Laker, while I appreciate him, I won't mind seeing him move on to greener pastures.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject:

XTC wrote:

Great, but did it really have to cost them everything? They threw away all of their youth and most of their draft picks for it. Pelicans have swap rights next year and they can take the potential lottery pick in 2024 or 2025, so Lakers can't even tank for superstar talent until 2025. It didn't have to be this way.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
1 championship out of 4

That's a 25% chance at a ring every year, when there are 30 other teams

Not sure that's a failure

While Missing the playoffs twice, I’m happy for the bubble title but besides that the Laker teams with LeBron have been a epic failure
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Bruh?

Quote:
The Lakers have 48 losses this season.

The most by a LeBron James team ever.

Since preseason title favorites were first announced before the 1984-85 season, the top two teams have never failed to make the playoffs.

The Lakers (no. 2 favorites) are the first team to do so.

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1511565115551674370

Our FO failed this man and how to efficiently exploit him to earn more titles.

Say what you want about him forcing them to trade for Russ among other options, but our FO has been incompetent and bumbling with nearly every decision they made after Bron’s decision in bringing his talents to LA.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Not a Bron fan like some but a ring is a ring and he and AD led us to one. If he sticks around for another 5 years and holds team hostage as he does an extended retirement tour, then I'd go back to saying it may not have been worth it. But my guess is he'll use Bronny as an excuse to get shipped wherever.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject:

I'm ready to move on from the Bron project and rebuild properly. Trade AD at the draft, for a top pick because New Orleans about to swap their 1st with ours. Trade Westbrook for some value.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: