Something fun for a change, have you ever met any Lakers personally?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject:

nevitt_smrek wrote:
I've met Jabbar, Worthy, Cooper in the early 90s. Later met Kobe in Fall 1996. I wore a Darth Vader Tie Fighter shirt that he commented on, and we talked for a few minutes about Star Wars. There was quite a bit of hype surrounding the re-releases of the original movies. I still have all of the signed 8x10's they signed. Wish I had photos taken with them instead, in hindsight.

That Kobe story is pretty awesome.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
nevitt_smrek wrote:
I've met Jabbar, Worthy, Cooper in the early 90s. Later met Kobe in Fall 1996. I wore a Darth Vader Tie Fighter shirt that he commented on, and we talked for a few minutes about Star Wars. There was quite a bit of hype surrounding the re-releases of the original movies. I still have all of the signed 8x10's they signed. Wish I had photos taken with them instead, in hindsight.

That Kobe story is pretty awesome.

I always wanted to meet Kobe again and ask whether he remembered anything from that day. One thing that might have jogged his memory was that a Raiders football player nicknamed "The Assassin" made an appearance after him. Kobe made a comment about loving that nickname. He ended up becoming one of the NBA's best ever killers.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:32 am    Post subject:

My mother was a teacher and administrator at a school in Inglewood. Byron Scott's kids went there as well. This was from the late 1970s through to about 2000.

The Lakers would donate items for raffles. I still have some autographed 8x10s from the showtime Era.

Anyway, my mother and I were at an event for her school. It was in West LA. I can barely remember, but at a typical looking convention center or hotel event room. Might have been for a school related awards show? I gotta ask my mom.

It was summer of 1996. Byron was there. He brought along a just drafted rookie. Yup, the one and only Kobe Bryant!

I didn't say anything, I'm not too much into bothering people, but my mother has no such problems!

She knew Byron fairly well. He introduced her to Kobe. My mom says something like "are you afraid to be competing against all these grown men?"

17 year old Kobe stares my mother right in the eye and says "lady, I'm not afraid of anyone."

My mom was like "okay then!"

Kobe, a killer through and through. Haha!

Damn, I miss him.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:22 am    Post subject:

First Laker I ever met was Big Game James. It was at a sneaker store signing in NYC in 1988. He was my favorite player and when i met him, i was too much in aw to even speak. I was 12 and i just stared at him and he signed my poster and I moved on.

Then I met Mychal Thompson. Same setting, super cool dude. told him i was a big time Laker fan, he thanked me, sand signed my poster.

Saw Magic on 2 occasions. First time was at a book signing in NY, right after he retired. By the time I had gotten there, they had cut off the line so I was not able to get my book autographed but, as I was leaving, I turned the corner and saw a limo out by the side entrance. Thinking it could possibly be his, I stuck around and low and behold, the side door opens and out walks Magic! The rushed him pass me but when he got to his car, he stopped and waved to everyone.

The second time, was at my job. He was doing a promotion there and they allowed people to come and meet him. By the time I got there, you couldn't even get close to him. I was the loading dock supervisor and my office was on the dock. I went back to my desk mad and low and behold again, here comes Magic right pass my office, as they usher him to his car.

I was walking down the street in Harlem, and I noticed this huge person up the street as I got closer, I noticed that it was Cap, Kareem Abdul Jabbar. I was stunned. as he was walking down the street, I started walking behind him. The shocked look on peoples faces as they were walking towards him were funny as hell. He did not look like he wanted to be bothered so, i just left him alone, happy to just have seen him.

Saw Coop at the BIG 3 and got a few pictures of him.

Sat front row, by the players entrance at a Nets/ Celtics game and Shaq walked right by me. Man, he's huge and his feet are enormous.

Saw Bron, AD, Kuz, Dwight, Mitch Kupchek at Summer League, in Vegas.

Saw Rob Pelinka at a Nets/ Lakers game, along with Billy Mac.

Saw Dfish, at a taping of Stephen A Smith Show, that he use to have on ESPN.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
NBA players live a very "rock n roll" lifestyle while they are in the league(minus the drugs mostly). Back on topic I saw Kobe at a "secret" Metallica show AKA Call of Duty Black Ops release event. Was surprised by how skinny he was.

Interesting. My best friend was at that. Are you in the gaming industry?

naa music, but at the time I was in the Metallica fan club and begged the forum moderator to give me tickets
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Met Magic at my first game ever at Staples center in the premier area...the only other time I watched the Lakers live was in a pre season game in the San Diego Sports arena. I took a picture with Magic Johnson and some of my friends and relatives didn't believe it was the real Magic when they saw the picture. It was taken with one of those cheap instant cameras and they thought he was a wax figure. This was back in 2002 btw.
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
My mother was a teacher and administrator at a school in Inglewood. Byron Scott's kids went there as well. This was from the late 1970s through to about 2000.

The Lakers would donate items for raffles. I still have some autographed 8x10s from the showtime Era.

Anyway, my mother and I were at an event for her school. It was in West LA. I can barely remember, but at a typical looking convention center or hotel event room. Might have been for a school related awards show? I gotta ask my mom.

It was summer of 1996. Byron was there. He brought along a just drafted rookie. Yup, the one and only Kobe Bryant!

I didn't say anything, I'm not too much into bothering people, but my mother has no such problems!

She knew Byron fairly well. He introduced her to Kobe. My mom says something like "are you afraid to be competing against all these grown men?"

17 year old Kobe stares my mother right in the eye and says "lady, I'm not afraid of anyone."

Damn, I miss him.

I forgot to mention that I saw Bryon Scott at the Del Amo Mall years ago, after the series when Magic and he both got hurt. My dad asked him to comment on that, and he did. He was doing a presentation in the mall that day.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
I had a great business relationship with Jamal Wilkes. Nicest guy you’ll ever meet. I’ll leave it at that.
'

TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject:

I met Mcgee at a club in barcelona. I was pretty drunk and one of his bodyguards almost beat me up.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:25 pm    Post subject:

Met Shaq at Top Golf in Vegas. Walked right past me like 3 feet away and said wassup.
lakerfansd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Funny to see this thread, while cleaning my house I just came across a basketball book I owned called "Hoop" I must have bought at a game so I could collect signatues. Some I remember meeting (Chick Hearn during halftime of a Laker game) and others I had no idea I met. List I just noted includes: Chick Hearn, Cory Blount, Mario Bennet

I still remember meeting Doug Christie at a signing. I told him I hoped to see him in the dunk contest. He laughed and said yeah right. Then he ended up being in the contest that year!

I also met Elden Campbell, can't remember where.
Met Byron Scott at a signing.

I met Derek Fisher after his rookie summer league game as he was leaving. I was last person he signed autograph before he left. Was amazing watching him and Kobe that game. I also met Mitch Kupchak before the game.

I can't remember any more.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

Damn, I miss him.

Really cool story, thanks for sharing. You can easily picture him replying like that.
LakersFan_73
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject:

I know I'm old (40's) but here's my story. As a kid my buddy and me used to get the $8.50 nosebleed seats. As the game would progress, we would sneak lower and lower. Once night we got pretty close to the floor (it was a blow out I believe; not many people left). As we were watching the game, Mitch Kupchak came up to me and said "you're in my seat". Needless to say, I apologized and he's like no problem, just scoot over. Of course as a young and dumb kid, we panicked and went up to some higher seats...

Also met Chick Hearn a handful of times at the games. He'd sign autographs and say hi from his booth. I didn't both to say hi to Stu lol

Oh, and I met AC Green once outside of the forum after a game. Cool dude, took the time to say Hi and sign everyone's autograph requests.
paymonM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:27 pm    Post subject:

Derek Fisher in Vegas with his GF or wife at the Encore at least 10
years ago
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:43 pm    Post subject:

TMG wrote:
I met Mcgee at a club in barcelona. I was pretty drunk and one of his bodyguards almost beat me up.

What did you do to deserve it?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TMG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:33 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
TMG wrote:

What did you do to deserve it?

Think i tried talking to Mcgee and accidentally bumped into one of his guards. He was chill but security are usually always on the edge. I do believe that same night his security did get to an altercation that forced Mcgee to leave. But super chill guy from what i remember.

Good night that was
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject:

My dad got Michael Cooper to sign a napkin on the hood of our Corolla at a gas station next to a Versatel ATM in Inglewood. Coop had just taken out cash. I was 13 months old, asleep in a car seat.

The Lakers sometimes gave out these cardstock banners at their home games at the Forum. If I got one, and if there was enough time before his broadcast, I'd run up to up to the press box and ask Chick Hearn to autograph it. I was always a little upset that there was never this huge buzz about him, that nobody really lined up to meet the man. Talking to him and basking in his majesty was the thing I anticipated most about a game at the Forum. To think about it actually made me anxious. "What am I going to say to Chick today? Don't act stupid and waste his time." I have 46 odd items signed by him (some by Stu as well) and these are my most precious Lakers mementos.

In August 1996 I attended the pre-season kickoff for season ticket holders at the Great Western Forum, courtesy of my uncle. I had no idea what it was about, what was about to go down. I was on the Lakers' hardwood with a handful of other kids milling about when the place erupted in cheers. It was so loud I that felt the need to cover my ears. If I had to guess, there were fewer than 3,000 people in the bowl, but it was deafening. Lakers players and staff began posting up in the luxury suites between the loge and colonnade. Their suites = a bolted-down cocktail table with some chairs, surrounded by glass. I used to fantasize about adult me being able to afford the "senate seats" plan that gave you tickets to every event at the forum, and sitting in one of these big timer suites. At some point, there was another explosion in noise, this time it was for Shaq making his way to his spot about 10 minutes after the rest of the team. He had a 4-man private entourage and they regulated how many people could get in his face at once, how much time you could spend with him, limited the number of photos, etc. Tell Santa what you want and gtfo. Barzini at Connie's wedding type juice. Some old guy shouted "There's the man!" Shaq had just signed a couple of weeks prior. At this point, the gravity of this event had been established for me. I used up 4 rolls of kodak 35mm in less than 20 minutes. I got autographs and photos of/with Shaq, Eddie, Nick, Cedric, Byron Scott, Jerome Kersey, Corey Blount, each with his own name placard on the glass so as to help us fans. There was one player I hadn't come up to yet. He had maybe 1 or 2 people lined up at any time and a sole building employee acting as his handler, mostly twiddling thumbs. I got closer. He was wearing a beanie so I didn't recognize him. I peeped the name placard. Why, it was that 17 year old who dominated the summer league (about a week before Shaq signed IIRC) at CSULB! But I had to go the bathroom and figured I'd get to come back and get an autograph afterwards. I settled for a quick greeting, then went downstairs to hurry out a crap, and by the time I got back up to the seating area, he'd left. Oh well...I'd met all my faves and the big guy, so no worries. He was nobody.

At least I took his picture: https://i.imgur.com/7q7A8v3.png

I also met Kurt Rambis and took his photo at this event. That felt like a huge occasion at the time. Never thought I'd eventually come to think of him as a dickhead.

high-fived Derek Fisher at a summer league game in 96

met Mychal Thompson at Staples, once

Shook Lawrence Tanter's hand during halftime vs. Utah on 5/7/2008 (Kobe MVP trophy presentation) I have never spent more money on a ticket than I did to sit in section 104 for this event. $400ish

Javale McGee at Chipotle in Barstow c. 2012. He was wearing Denver Nuggets shorts. I didn't interact with him.

Saw Jordan Farmar at XS nightclub in June 2009. He was faded AF and drowning in groupies. https://i.imgur.com/r4A5Oaf.png

high-fived Mark Madsen at the 2000 championship parade

I finally got to meet Kobe at Disneyland on 3/18/09. He was with his family. He was so nice to me. Earlier that day, I'd biked over to Long Beach Airport to watch President Obama land in California for the first time. This was one of the coolest days of my life.

Shook Magic's hand at a midsummer night's magic in 1999.

got Kareem's autograph on my Lakers windbreaker in front of UCLA Powell Library, February 2009

Drove to Game 1 vs Utah in 2009 with the non-player zealot and then had lunch with him

Met LakerLanny & his son & some other LG dudes at Game 1 vs San Antonio in 2008

Ran into DMR at a couple of games and bought his seats for another. These are kings of men and represent the Lakers in my mind more than Rambis ever did.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject:

I have a friend who was representing a Chinese player who worked out for the Lakers. He invited me to the workout and it was attended by Mitch. He was a really nice person. Unfortunately for my friend his player didn’t get signed. I also saw Mitch at a Gaucho game but didn’t speak with him.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject:

I use to attend the Summer League games at Loyola Marymount. I was able to meet Magic, West, Bertka, Riley, Scott, Spriggs, Earl Jones, and Cooper. I embarrassed my Dad, when I asked Coop how come he couldn’t guard Andrew Toney.

I remember meeting Chick Hearn before he entered Chick’s Nest. Jerry Buss was saving money back then. Chick’s Nest was HIGH UP in the cheap seats.
LakergirlsFan710
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject:

During one of the games of the 2002 NBA Finals, I decided to go to Home Depot in Torrance instead of watching the game (After game one it was clear it was going to be a sweep anyways), I ran into Elden Campbell, I asked him if he cared who would win the game that day. His only response: "No". I went home and told my brother I saw Elden. Next day I needed to go to Home Depot again and strangely my brother said he'd come too, he never went with me, its like he thought Elden would be there again or something but obviously he wasn't there. A couple days later I needed something from Home Depot again, I asked my bro if he wanted to go but he declined. Went back to Torrance and there was Elden again.

In 2008, My brother and I drove to Vegas to try and catch the Olympic Team at the Wynn since they were practicing there. We saw all of them either playing or walking around the casino. Kobe had a group of about 100 people walking behind him the whole time. As we were walking through the isles, Lebron was walking toward us, He would walk right next to my brother and even gave him the Spoelstra Shoulder bump without even looking at him.
A few minutes later Lebron, Jason Kidd, and Amare Stoudamire sat down at a black jack table. I told my brother we should ask them if we could take the last 2 seats. Amazingly my brother refused. As I was trying to convince him these 2 other guys asked for the seats and the guys said sure. Damn that could have been me. How often are you ever gonna get a chance in your life to play blackjack with Lebron. My bro would later claim that the $100 minimum scared him away.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: