Something fun for a change, have you ever met any Lakers personally?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Something fun for a change, have you ever met any Lakers personally?

Has anyone ever met, or been in close proximity, to any Lakers? Here's my list:

1. Met Norm Nixon, Adrian Dantly and Dan Ford at Lakewood Mall during a photo signing ( I still have the photos). I was very young, didn't know anybody or really what was going on. I remember stopping and staring at Nixon. He just muttered dismissively and pointed to his photo he'd just signed. Ford was the nicest, as I remember. Magic Johnson was also there. My mom met him, I didn't.

2. Was in close proximity with Andrew Bynum. This was right before his rookie year, during Summer league at the Pyramid at CSULB. I stood behind him in line at the Ralphs supermarket on San Antonio and Long Beach Blvd. I remembered he had some orange juices, and he was huge. Didn't say anything to him, and no one really said anything to him.

3. Met Derick Fisher during Summer League at the Pyramid. He was sitting near the floor. During those years, you can wander around anywhere at the Pyramid. I went down and said hello. He waved, didn't say anything. He was too busy flirting with some young female who worked at the scorers table. Seemed a bit arrogant to me. Stan Van Gundy and Pat Riley were also there. Riley was handsome dude, very smooth looking.

4. Met Jerry West and Mitch Kupchak, again, during Summer League at the Pyramid. They were walking together up near the top, where the concession stands and the entrances are. Both were very nice. I shook Kupchak's hand, and his hand was very soft. Didn't say anything, just hello and the hand shake.

5. I saw/met Michael Cooper, twice. Once, I saw him at a car wash. He was sitting outside by himself, reading a newspaper. Didn't say anything to him and nobody said anything to him while I was there. Second time was during a Sparks promotion at some sports bar/restaurant across from the Staples Center. We were all in the arcade area. Many of the Sparks players had their children in there. Cooper was the head coach at that time. I actually talked to him for a while, off and on. He told me to watch out for the first 5 games of the Laker season to see how they'd do the whole year. I can't remember what else we talked about, just casual stuff. Surprisingly, not too many people were there. Lisa Lesley was there. I remember how mean she looked. She was also standoffish. Other Sparks players were there, too.

6. I saw Shaq once in Las Vegas during All Star weekend. Didn't talk to him, but I was close to him, at one point in touching distance. He was the biggest human being I've ever seen in my life.

Honorable mentions: Saw Chris Paul in Vegas the same day I saw Shaq. Didn't say anything, but he sort of stood up watching us, expecting us to approach him. We (my family and I) just stood there. He seemed nice. Dwayne Wade was there, too. Wade was 100% into the attention and flash. Very much an attention seeker. Saw Kevin Garnett, too. Saw other players I can't remember. One thing, those guys were girl-magnets, both there in Vegas and during the Summer leagues I went to. Very cute girls dressed to impressed, always around those guys. Saw several coaches and players during the Summer League years at the Pyramid. Fun times back then.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject:

No, but I did meet a very famous Laker parent. While working at Target one year during the holidays I looked up and Bill Walton was walking through the electronics department. Him and some of the players from the San Diego Chargers were buying toys for a Christmas toy drive.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject:

NBA players live a very "rock n roll" lifestyle while they are in the league(minus the drugs mostly). Back on topic I saw Kobe at a "secret" Metallica show AKA Call of Duty Black Ops release event. Was surprised by how skinny he was.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject:

Magic and Kobe, within some of their circles although I have this thing where I don’t like to bug athletes.

For example, Kobe through GiGi’s basketball teams but I never personally went up to him.

I just have this thing where I never liked to bug professional athletes and I’ve seen quite a few across professional sports.

You definitely don’t see NBA guys as often as football, hockey and baseball.
misterchipmunk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject:

Former In-N-Out employee here. Got my few share of celebrities and stories from other co-workers.

Kobe usually comes around mid night after a game or practice.

Heard a story about Bynum parking in a handicap spot and tried to cut in line.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject:

A few years ago, Shaq approached my dad (who is Korean) at the Sports Club LA locker room and asked him if he was Jackie Chan.

I wish he’d gotten a picture. It’s just such a ridiculous thing to ask a random person.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject:

I had a great business relationship with Jamal Wilkes. Nicest guy you’ll ever meet. I’ll leave it at that.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject:

I spent a couple of hours talking with Michael Cooper a long time ago.

I sat next to Mike Penberthy at a Starbucks. Guy knows shooting.

I met AC Green at a charity event. I've been at events with Kareem and a bunch of other Lakers, but I didn't interact with them.

Biggest ex-Laker I've ever been next to was Benoit Benjamin and the smallest was Norm Nixon. I met them when they were on the Clippers, at some event at Donald Sterling's house.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
NBA players live a very "rock n roll" lifestyle while they are in the league(minus the drugs mostly). Back on topic I saw Kobe at a "secret" Metallica show AKA Call of Duty Black Ops release event. Was surprised by how skinny he was.

Interesting. My best friend was at that. Are you in the gaming industry?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject:

My parents met LO between the 09 and 10 seasons, around when everyone was talking about LO's obsession with Skittles. Note: he was not eating skittles.

Pretty disappointing, NGL.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:

I met AC Green at a charity event. I've been at events with Kareem and a bunch of other Lakers, but I didn't interact with them.

Biggest ex-Laker I've ever been next to was Benoit Benjamin and the smallest was Norm Nixon. I met them when they were on the Clippers, at some event at Donald Sterling's house.

How many events have you attended at Donald Sterling's house? Did you meet DS? Was he, uh, weird?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:37 pm    Post subject:

misterchipmunk wrote:
Former In-N-Out employee here. Got my few share of celebrities and stories from other co-workers.

Kobe usually comes around mid night after a game or practice.

Heard a story about Bynum parking in a handicap spot and tried to cut in line.

Reading this written in the present tense (bleep) with me.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject:

I have been lucky in regards to the Lakers. I have had many encounters.

Started when I was a kid and involved with a youth basketball program that went to the Fabulous Forum a few years in a row to meet the teams in the early 70s.

Actually shot baskets on the court with West and Goodrich (my favorite player) rebounding for us. Met Chamberlain and a few years later Kareem. Multiple other players but those stand out.

Was at one of the games during the 33 win streak and met Pete Maravich before the game.

In my wilder days I have met Van Exel, Ceballos, Campbell and Rambis at parties. Minimal conversation.

While working with a Foster Youth Program iI met Chick and Marge Hearn and Kobe at different events they spoke at. I was backstage with them and had some very cool conversations as they prepped before going on stage.

Kobe was a gentleman, but his speech to the kids was intense and inspired. Chick and Marge were incredibly gracious. Asked us more questions about what we did then anything else.

Some very cool memories! I have been a fan since the 60’s and it’s the Lakers ingrained in my memories and life in LA. Please excuse me when I express myself so passionately in theses threads when I feel my Lakers are being disrespected. As I tend to feel about this current underachieving team. It’s personal!
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:

How did you get into this secret Metallica show...

CandyCanes wrote:
A few years ago, Shaq approached my dad (who is Korean) at the Sports Club LA locker room and asked him if he was Jackie Chan.

I wish he’d gotten a picture. It’s just such a ridiculous thing to ask a random person.

Yes especially since Jackie Chan isn't Korean however this story doesn't surprise me at all..
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
activeverb wrote:

How many events have you attended at Donald Sterling's house? Did you meet DS? Was he, uh, weird?

That was the only time I was at his house, and I never met Sterling himself. I don't think he was even there. Elgin Baylor and all the players were there, though.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject:

On July 4th 2016 I went to the Apple Store in Century City. I was wearing a hand me down Lakers shirt with a faded logo and holes developing near the stitching in all areas.

Sitting at one of the Genius desks was Russel Westbrook. This was about 2 hours after Durant announced he was going to the Warriors. Westbrook kept looking at my beat up Laker shirt. I assume he was there to have the Apple employees remove Durant from all his contact lists and to block him.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

CandyCanes wrote:

Yes especially since Jackie Chan isn't Korean however this story doesn't surprise me at all..

Why doesn’t it surprise you?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Met James Worthy. I was in a band that played a fund raiser and some Laker girls and Worthy were there. I also recall I was very sick and muscled through the show.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject:

I've met Jabbar, Worthy, Cooper in the early 90s. Later met Kobe in Fall 1996. I wore a Darth Vader Tie Fighter shirt that he commented on, and we talked for a few minutes about Star Wars. There was quite a bit of hype surrounding the re-releases of the original movies. I still have all of the signed 8x10's they signed. Wish I had photos taken with them instead, in hindsight.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:

CandyCanes wrote:

Why doesn’t it surprise you?

Because this is the same guy that mocked Yao Ming with the Chinese language
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject:

I used to bump into AC Green quite often, if not at one of his signings, it would be at the Toyota Sports Center, or at times inside the arena at Staples. You could strike up a conversation with him and he'd be generous with his time when meeting fans.

Mychal Thompson's a fave as well, even in the pre-covid days, everyone who has listened to him on the radio back in the day has heard him mention that he's sort of a germ-o-phobe and didn't really like shaking hands. One time a fan who introduced me to him wasn't aware, but much to my surprise, MT still shook hands with everyone. He was at Toyota Sports Center to support one of his boys playing in the D-League/G-League.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:17 pm    Post subject:

When I was in background acting 20 years ago, I was next to Shaq..

I was thinking my god he is a giant. Usually they say the camera adds 10 pounds...in his case, it seem to do the opposite..he is obviously big on the TV...but in real life he is even bigger..don't know how opponents were willing to play against him.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
When I was in background acting 20 years ago, I was next to Shaq..

I was thinking my god he is a giant. Usually they say the camera adds 10 pounds...in his case, it seem to do the opposite..he is obviously big on the TV...but in real life he is even bigger..don't know how opponents were willing to play against him.

LMAO

How Scot Pollard and Vlade Divac endured getting backed down and banging up against Shaq during the Lakers-Kings rivalry is amazing.
Julius Handle
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject:

1. Sang national anthem at a Lakers game at Staples so I was on court with them.

2. Sang anthem at Cavs playoff game. Shaq and LeBron were standing right next to me in the layup line before I went on court to sing.

3. Met Sam Perkins at a mall. Can’t remember where though.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Well, since proximity is being listed, off top of my head:

1. Kobe with Vanessa at the old Marina Del Rey Benihana (before it was closed and reopened in Santa Monica)
2. James Worthy standing in line about 1 person over at the Century City Mall movie theater (before undergoing renovation) when the Houston's restaurant was there
3. Trevor Ariza (walked right by him) at a Culver City target
4. Rick Fox at the Superbowl (was there when he was driven right up about to enter the stadium area), one of my friends got a photo with him
5. Buddy of mine invited me to meet Magic this month, but I'll be out of town
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: