Stu Lantz: “Let’s get this over with, take us out of our misery”
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RashardA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject:

Stu is a legend and can work for as long as he wants.

Stu is old school, knowledgeable as hell & has seen the greatest of the greatest Lakers up close.

He also doesnt go for the BS, why I love him.

They never should have let Spero go.

That's the guy they need to bring back to replace Billy Mac.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

Stu is old school, knowledgeable as hell & has seen the greatest of the greatest Lakers up close.

That's tough to say they "let him go" more than him not wanting to stay.

From what it looked like, they wanted him to 100% be committed to the Lakers broadcast - and not pull double/triple duty with other sports/networks. We saw this happen with Joel Meyers and his football commitments. Joel was off doing a football game rather than be "the voice of the Lakers" when Kobe scored 81. Spero on the other hand decided he wanted to continue doing NFL/NCAA and not stick to doing Lakers games exclusively.

When we get an institution like Chick Hearn be the voice for 41 years, it's difficult as a fanbase (and as a "brand") to have a play-by-play voice that is essentially part-time. Spero is a great play-by-play caller. That's why he's in demand to call so many games. While it's a shame he couldn't have stayed, it's easy to understand the perspective from both sides on why he ended up leaving.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject:

Robblake wrote:
27 wrote:
MJST wrote:
“Let’s get this over with, take us out of our misery”

That would mean firing Stu if they really want to do that.

Him and Billy Mac should be part of the people who are sent packing. I dislike them both but Billy is a must go. He gets way too excited when the opposing team scores. its pathetic. I'd gladly replace these two with John Ireland and Trudell.
I don’t get the stu hate, he’s a legend and has been here with us for a long ass time lol. He’s 75 he’s prob gonna retire soon

I have league pass so I hear all the team's announcers. Stu is by far the most annoying broadcaster in the NBA, as far as team announcers go. At least in my opinion.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:38 am    Post subject:

RashardA wrote:

If by knowledgeable you mean saying the phrase "don't double off a cutter" every 30 seconds, then yeah he's extremely knowledgeable 😂
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
RashardA wrote:

From what it looked like, they wanted him to 100% be committed to the Lakers broadcast - and not pull double/triple duty with other sports/networks. We saw this happen with Joel Meyers and his football commitments. Joel was off doing a football game rather than be "the voice of the Lakers" when Kobe scored 81. Spero on the other hand decided he wanted to continue doing NFL/NCAA and not stick to doing Lakers games exclusively.

When we get an institution like Chick Hearn be the voice for 41 years, it's difficult as a fanbase (and as a "brand") to have a play-by-play voice that is essentially part-time. Spero is a great play-by-play caller. That's why he's in demand to call so many games. While it's a shame he couldn't have stayed, it's easy to understand the perspective from both sides on why he ended up leaving.

Chick only remained soley dedicated to Lakers broadcasts during his final years. Remember he did UNLV basketball, USC basketball and football, and even golf when he was younger. Can't really blame a broadcaster for trying other sports in their younger years as they are trying to perfect their craft and also build up their resume.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
RashardA wrote:

Chick only remained soley dedicated to Lakers broadcasts during his final years. Remember he did UNLV basketball, USC basketball and football, and even golf when he was younger. Can't really blame a broadcaster for trying other sports in their younger years as they are trying to perfect their craft and also build up their resume.

Yes, Chick did other commentating jobs, but he also did not miss a Lakers game to do so. There were a few instances where he almost missed a Lakers game, but it was due to things that weren't in his control. BIG difference between what he did, and what Spero wanted to do.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:28 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Robblake wrote:
27 wrote:
MJST wrote:

Him and Billy Mac should be part of the people who are sent packing. I dislike them both but Billy is a must go. He gets way too excited when the opposing team scores. its pathetic. I'd gladly replace these two with John Ireland and Trudell.
I don’t get the stu hate, he’s a legend and has been here with us for a long ass time lol. He’s 75 he’s prob gonna retire soon

I have league pass so I hear all the team's announcers. Stu is by far the most annoying broadcaster in the NBA, as far as team announcers go. At least in my opinion.

my Stu hate comes from him sounding like someone has a gun to his head to broadcast the games. Sure he has knowledge but he doesn't have passion. he sounds like a bitter old man. he talks over Billy and can be a bit of a bully sometimes. He ran Joel Meyers out of town, IIRC, which is too bad b/c he was good. God forbid a game goes into OT. I know the job is his until he retries, I just wish he's retire sooner than later.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject:

27 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Robblake wrote:
27 wrote:
MJST wrote:

my Stu hate comes from him sounding like someone has a gun to his head to broadcast the games. Sure he has knowledge but he doesn't have passion. he sounds like a bitter old man. he talks over Billy and can be a bit of a bully sometimes. He ran Joel Meyers out of town, IIRC, which is too bad b/c he was good. God forbid a game goes into OT. I know the job is his until he retries, I just wish he's retire sooner than later.

How did he run Joel out of town?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
27 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Robblake wrote:
27 wrote:
MJST wrote:

It was a long time ago and maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Joel's contract wasn't renewed as Stu's request but maybe im misremembering and it was to try and hire Spero. Apologies about that.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Who is Anthony? Davis or Carmelo? What does SOSDD mean?

Same old (bleep) different day
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject:

27 wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
27 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
Robblake wrote:
27 wrote:
MJST wrote:

It was a long time ago and maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Joel's contract wasn't renewed as Stu's request but maybe im misremembering and it was to try and hire Spero. Apologies about that.

He absolutely sounds like he hates his job. And he always adds something at the end of his co-workers statements, to make it sound like he knows better.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
Robblake wrote:
27 wrote:
MJST wrote:

I also have League Pass and check into a lot of games each week though out the season. So I’ve heard a lot of announcers for other teams too.

I have a completely different perspective. Maybe it is familiarity with Stu that makes me accepting of his delivery and abilities.

Because I find many other announcers around the league to be horrible. Everything from over the top homers, sound like hype men for a circus, ex players that mumble or get distracted telling stories, or just bad commentary to the extent that I have wondered if they are even watch the same game.

I grew up listening to Chick. The man is irreplaceable. But Stu is ok. Delivery, knowledge and honesty are solid every game. Not going to say great but far from the worst in the League IMO.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject:

Birmingham wrote:
C M B wrote:
I forgot how much I love Stu.

You, Stu and NPZ are the last lovable Lakers left, CMB.

Real talk. I'm sure djb and LakerWalt agree on said sentiments.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:56 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
Love Stu.

Stu hates overtimes, haha. He wants to go HOME! Let's GO!.... The 2009 parade coverage began at like 7 AM if not 630 or sthg weird that year. There was a 7-8 man panel in high chairs in a crescent shaped config. All the usual suspects were there such as Foxy, etc. Stu was grousing about having to be at a em effing championship parade early in the AM. That's gotta be a singular event at ANY title parade in any sport -- someone who doesn't want to be there. I think the wind was taken out of Stuart's sails when Chick died.

And Stu himself is a completely different person from let's say, even the late 90s and early 2Ks. 2002 might be the mark where the slip into mileage and apathy began to take effect in a slow drip manner. I have tons of old games up from his first season on and the amount of his cogent, incisive contributions and explanations of the games has plummeted over time. It's like listening to a different Stu Lantz. I suspect that he enjoyed the Lake Show years and the 3 Peat and maybe enjoyed the rise and falls of the franchise a lot less even tho they won 3 in however many years. If you peep my Eddie DUNKS! vid, his enthusiasm is self-evident. I don't give a DAMN what happened in prior years, he never said something like that. Not in a garbage season like 1994, even. Chick was seemingly the linchpin in his desire/ganas to continue on as still-enthusiastic as he was when Chick was with us.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Stu kills me a lot of the time as anyone who seen me in the game threads can attest. That said I cannot give him a hard time for this when many in Lakers nation felt exactly the same way for that game, I'm sure. Not that we want to see our team lose, but that it's been a long agonizing unending saga of watching our team play very poorly and lose.

After what he's witnessed with the championship teams and as long as he's been with the Lakers I'm sure this season - particularly post-All Star - was agony to sit through.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
Love Stu.

Stu hates overtimes, haha. He wants to go HOME! Let's GO!.... The 2009 parade coverage began at like 7 AM if not 630 or sthg weird that year. There was a 7-8 man panel in high chairs in a crescent shaped config. All the usual suspects were there such as Foxy, etc. Stu was grousing about having to be at a em effing championship parade early in the AM. That's gotta be a singular event at ANY title parade in any sport -- someone who doesn't want to be there. I think the wind was taken out of Stuart's sails when Chick died.

And Stu himself is a completely different person from let's say, even the late 90s and early 2Ks. 2002 might be the mark where the slip into mileage and apathy began to take effect in a slow drip manner. I have tons of old games up from his first season on and the amount of his cogent, incisive contributions and explanations of the games has plummeted over time. It's like listening to a different Stu Lantz. I suspect that he enjoyed the Lake Show years and the 3 Peat and maybe enjoyed the rise and falls of the franchise a lot less even tho they won 3 in however many years. If you peep my Eddie DUNKS! vid, his enthusiasm is self-evident. I don't give a DAMN what happened in prior years, he never said something like that. Not in a garbage season like 1994, even. Chick was seemingly the linchpin in his desire/ganas to continue on as still-enthusiastic as he was when Chick was with us.

Read he still commutes from San Diego to LA for the games....thats a lot of time on the road to call games for a team that isn't very good. I can see why he wouldn't be excited to call more games of a squad that themselves checked out from the season a while ago.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Stu kills me a lot of the time as anyone who seen me in the game threads can attest. That said I cannot give him a hard time for this when many in Lakers nation felt exactly the same way for that game, I'm sure. Not that we want to see our team lose, but that it's been a long agonizing unending saga of watching our team play very poorly and lose.

After what he's witnessed with the championship teams and as long as he's been with the Lakers I'm sure this season - particularly post-All Star - was agony to sit through.

What is said in the game thread stays in the game thread!

The emotions can run a bit hot in the moment, Stu can definitely bug and that is the truth. That said, he is a tie to the past which generally I like but he is definitely nearing the end of his broadcast run I think.
Robblake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
TDRock wrote:

What is said in the game thread stays in the game thread!

The emotions can run a bit hot in the moment, Stu can definitely bug and that is the truth. That said, he is a tie to the past which generally I like but he is definitely nearing the end of his broadcast run I think.

I mean, Stu has had to witness all of the ineptness lol if youre a fan of a team and you've had to witness so much trash play for over a decade sans like 2 years... i get him being over it. Also, he's older and older people tend to have less patience. lol
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Been listeming to Stu since he took over for Keith Erickson. Never found him a bit insightful nor entertaining. At least MT is funny.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: