Return to the Top?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How long until we're back in the championship convo?
Upcoming season
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
Next 1-2 seasons
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
3-4 seasons
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
5+years
50%
 50%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 14

Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Return to the Top?

Hey guys, it's been a while. Hope you all have been safe during these trying times. Wow! What a terrible season this was. But now, it's time to look ahead. Given the age of our roster, current skillsets of the players, expiring contracts, and the...tendencies of the coaching staff:

A. what do you think a successful off-season would look like, and
B. how long do you think it will take us to win another championship?

I think we're all shell-shocked at the speed of our demise. 2 seasons ago seems like another lifetime. Interested in your thoughts!
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject:

Realistically it's either next year or 5+ years depending on if we keep LBJ/AD or trade them for assets.

When I say that I don't suggest that we'd be realistic contenders next year with LBJ/AD, just that ESPN and such will put us in that conversation until injuries inevitably pile up again.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:19 pm    Post subject:

I voted 3-4.

But NBA ownership has vastly changed in the last 5-7 years.

Small markets aren’t so small anymore so we may have to build through trades and potential draft picks as opposed to just relying on a superstar deciding he wants to play and live in Los Angeles.

We’ll see, I do truly believe the allure of playing for the Lakers is still a dream for many.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
I voted 3-4.

Small markets aren’t so small anymore so we may have to build through trades and potential draft picks as opposed to just relying on a superstar deciding he wants to play and live in Los Angeles.

We’ll see, I do truly believe the allure of playing for the Lakers is still a dream for many.

This is on point. I'd add the FO failed to evolve with the game, and other organizations have run circles around them. It's not the 2000s anymore and drafting makes a legitimate difference in the current era (see Grizzles, Suns, Celtics, Pelicans, etc). Worse, they really threw away all their young talent and draft picks with this boom or bust mentality. They never saw the middle ground and it cost them the future.

The Laker brand isn't what it once was to be honest. There was a sense of pride and honor associated with wearing the uniform, and the current team has made nothing but a mockery out of it. The non-stop clowning by the media, players and fans should deter free agents from wanting to sign here. The fanbase is toxic and Russ getting death threats took it to a new level.

Last edited by KindCrippler2000 on Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ujah's Goat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:43 pm    Post subject:

GTL wrote:
I voted 3-4.

Speaking of ownership, do you think we need to see a change on that front to usher in change?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Ujah's Goat wrote:
GTL wrote:
I voted 3-4.

Speaking of ownership, do you think we need to see a change on that front to usher in change?

Good to see you around. Jeanie likely won’t change, I don’t see her turning over running the team to a stranger and her inner circle isn’t impressive. I think that the optics of the family selling is formidable and that is Jeanie’s identity, Laker ownership. She has nothing else. Assuming that Lebron and AD are here next season, there’s a small chance that they win. After that, I’m 62 and am not sure I see another title.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: