2020 Championship
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: 2020 Championship

To me, this was a special championship. The season where Kobe died, the global pandemic. Life was pretty terrible for a lot of Lakers fans and a lot of people that year. I was very happy when the NBA decided to go with the Orlando bubble and resume play. I thought it was a tremendous operation that they pulled off to continue the season. The playing ground was leveled for all participants. Every team got to rest its players. There were injured players all around the NBA when the play stopped in March 2020. No one had home court advantage (imagine how crazy Staples Center would be during a Finals playoff run).

Few caveats. I do hate how the 2020 championship will make Jeanie/FO believe that they did something amazing that is sustainable. It was the elite play of LBJ/AD, and the elite play of its role players (defense especially). That they had the hubris to systematically dismantle the 2020 championship is another topic.

I do think a lot of folks who do not like LBJ or AD want to use that 2020 championship as a proxy to project their dislike of said players. Imagine if that duo didn't win the 2020 ring when they're getting some hatred for WINNING same.

I just find it a bit sad when some Lakers fan pile in on the narrative that the 2020 ring was some fake championship. Every championship can have an asterisk next to it. Raptors beat a KD/Klay-less Warriors. Warriors got KD to add to 3 all NBA players, are those asterisk seasons? Or when the Warriors beat a Love/Kyrie less Cavs. How about Kendrick Perkins missing that crucial Game 7 of the 2010 Finals? Or Houston Rockets winning against non-MJ teams in the 1990s. And so on. You win the games that are in front of you and the Lakers (and the rest of the NBA) did so in 2020. To me, that 2020 championship will mean a lot to me. I remember my kids, in the midst of COVID, just gathering around and watching every Lakers playoff game and loving that season. As Lakers fans, let's not loathe our own success that year.

We can have separate conversations about the durability of AD/LBJ, or how badly the FO/ownership have botched this team since then. But that should not taint the 2020 championship, the one that the team dedicated to Kobe.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject:

Preach
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject:

It was no less of a championship despite it being an 8-game season but no one really cared. The ratings were pathetic, maybe that is why fans don’t think highly of the title.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
It was no less of a championship despite it being an 8-game season but no one really cared. The ratings were pathetic, maybe that is why fans don’t think highly of the title.

8 game season? What in the world are you talking about?

You think they should have played out the full remaining regular season games? Not even in the lockout seasons did they do that, and even last year they reduced the total games to 72 regular season games.

Ratings across all sports were down that year, and then you add the social justice element of the NBA (which I support/supported) and that explains the ratings.

I remember so many here on LG that were happy about that 2020 championship. And to see 2 years later, a lot of the same people now trying to dismiss the 2020 championship, is pretty sad to see.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject:

I remember the NBA pundits saying that the Trailblazers would upset the Lakers. 4-1.

Then they said that the small ball Rox would hurt the Lakers. 4-1.

Then we faced a very strong Denver team and took them down. It was unfortunate that Bam/Dragic got hurt for the Finals but those are the cards that are dealt every year for teams going deep into the playoffs.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject:

Yinoma, it’s why I’m super loyal to the guys that really were an important part of that. AD, Bron, Vogel, Rondo, Caruso, Green, KCP, Dwight, Kuz etc

Doing it for Kobe.
Then also the chemistry from day 1 you could see it.
Caruso, Green, KCP type dudes.

Anyway, I’m happy Kawhi passed. Based on what I’ve seen of Lebron/AD, and Vogel, with Kawhi injury issues we were blessed that offseason the Pelinka big 3 plan of Kawhi/AD/Bron failed. Plan B was Danny Green, KCP etc. It was huge.

Something about that year even down to the bubble - it was meant for the Lakers to have that resurgence year. I just hope we don’t do what we did to KCP/Caruso/Kuz etc and send Vogel packing, because he’s the last important remaining part of that core that won around AD/Bron.

Sometimes things are just meant to be. But, it’s sad to look back and see how little loyalty we showed to guys that proved themselves. And we are doing the same even now. Phil used to always enforce his title rosters come back. Wish we had someone like Phil’s mindset when it comes to that aspect of the game calling the shots. There’s something to be said about continuity and loyalty. All the teams that repeat or win more than 1 ring tend to keep roster continuity after the first title. We were unstable as (bleep). As great was 2020 was for the title it’s been that hard to watch this season unfold as you see guys like Caruso, KCP, Kuz etc be replaced by Westbrook, Melo, Monk types. Ugh.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You think they should have played out the full remaining regular season games? Not even in the lockout seasons did they do that, and even last year they reduced the total games to 72 regular season games.

Ratings across all sports were down that year, and then you add the social justice element of the NBA (which I support/supported) and that explains the ratings.

I remember so many here on LG that were happy about that 2020 championship. And to see 2 years later, a lot of the same people now trying to dismiss the 2020 championship, is pretty sad to see.

They should have waited and played a normal 2020-2021 season instead of deciding that playing 8 games would decide things. Same with the NHL. Why 8 games? Because that would fulfill minimum TV requirements and teams would get paid. It was just a financial tool to get teams paid. The playoff format was the same and the tournament was legit. I never thought that it was necessary and joined the many other fans who tuned out.
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Preach
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject:

i 100% respect the title and think its as valuable as any other. However I do think it was a benefit to us seeing how bron and AD cant handle the riggers of a real season. I also give vogel and spolestra a ton of credit for keeping their team engaged and ready.

If you look at bron pre 2020 and post, and look at AD post, that gives you a better picture of who our 2 guys are.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Caring about the title versus acknowledging its legitimacy are 2 different things. I don't see why ratings should factor into the latter. But yes it can be a very convenient mechanism to push a narrative.

I wholly acknowledge its legitimacy but I also admit I would question it if the had Clippers won it. I also questioned the Spurs' first title until they won a bunch more. I guess that's what makes me a fan(atic).
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject:

I am so tired of people (including Laker fans) dismissing that 2020 chip.

Before the season got halted the Lakers had the best record and just beat the two best teams in the league (Bucks and Clippers).

Play resumes in the bubble where ALL TEAMS had the same environment with no home court advantage.

People make it seem as tho that Laker team was barely .500 and went on a run in the Finals.

Give me a break. That Laker team during the regular pre-COVID season had great chemistry and started to catch fire.

So F’k anyone that wants to give it an asterisk.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 Championship

yinoma2001 wrote:
Few caveats. I do hate how the 2020 championship will make Jeanie/FO believe that they did something amazing that is sustainable. It was the elite play of LBJ/AD, and the elite play of its role players (defense especially). That they had the hubris to systematically dismantle the 2020 championship is another topic.

I do think a lot of folks who do not like LBJ or AD want to use that 2020 championship as a proxy to project their dislike of said players. Imagine if that duo didn't win the 2020 ring when they're getting some hatred for WINNING same.

This is the part I agree with wholeheartedly. Everybody has an agenda. Mine is not to undermine the players/coaches but rather our ownership/FO.

Sorry to pop that bubble, but alot of fans use that title to justify our current FO hierarchy. Personally, I think it’s anarchy and that’s what drives others to state it’s all Bron/Klutch’s fault. Our FO created a void in accountability and for that they somehow avoid any of the blame. Wild!

In 2019, our FO failed at plan A, fell into plan B(ubble) and showed their confidence in that title team by dismantling it the first chance they got. That should tell you enuff about how tuff they felt that roster was in repeating.

I appreciate the title…the efforts the players & coaches went thru to exploit that unique situation so they get all the flowers from me.

But the fans that use that title to justify Rob’s seat on the throne is a thorn in my side. Dude ain’t it and we need to get on the other side of this before it’s too late. Changes up top need to happen right the F now.

The reason I believe our title was fluky was what has occurred during the rest of Bron’s 4 year stay here. Gut punch to my other side, but our title season has been flanked with a 1st round knockout & 2 postseason count outs.

I’m with gng930 on this one in that had the cLips won the bubble, there’s no way I acknowledge the legitimacy of it till they show me it wasn’t a 1&done occurrence. I agree with Phil in that the ‘99 Sp*rs title wasn’t all that legitimate unless the Spurs showed they were title contenders in the years to come. Guess they did show us that they were.

Injuries and to a lesser degree, lockouts are part of the game. What we’ve never ever seen before is an in season pause. That’s why our title needed vindication and instead we got corroboration that our FO is an abomination & has no F’n idea what it takes to really put a title team together.

#FOh
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
To me, this was a special championship. The season where Kobe died, the global pandemic. Life was pretty terrible for a lot of Lakers fans and a lot of people that year. I was very happy when the NBA decided to go with the Orlando bubble and resume play. I thought it was a tremendous operation that they pulled off to continue the season. The playing ground was leveled for all participants. Every team got to rest its players. There were injured players all around the NBA when the play stopped in March 2020. No one had home court advantage (imagine how crazy Staples Center would be during a Finals playoff run).

I just find it a bit sad when some Lakers fan pile in on the narrative that the 2020 ring was some fake championship. Every championship can have an asterisk next to it. Raptors beat a KD/Klay-less Warriors. Warriors got KD to add to 3 all NBA players, are those asterisk seasons? Or when the Warriors beat a Love/Kyrie less Cavs. How about Kendrick Perkins missing that crucial Game 7 of the 2010 Finals? Or Houston Rockets winning against non-MJ teams in the 1990s. And so on. You win the games that are in front of you and the Lakers (and the rest of the NBA) did so in 2020. To me, that 2020 championship will mean a lot to me. I remember my kids, in the midst of COVID, just gathering around and watching every Lakers playoff game and loving that season. As Lakers fans, let's not loathe our own success that year.

We can have separate conversations about the durability of AD/LBJ, or how badly the FO/ownership have botched this team since then. But that should not taint the 2020 championship, the one that the team dedicated to Kobe.

Like most of social media, LG is a place filled with anonymous people who (1) enjoy riling others up, (2) spinning events to align with their personal agendas, or (3) genuinely think that the truth is whatever they want to believe it is.

Some people here discount the 2020 championships for lots of reasons. But, generally, their reason is because they want to get a certain reaction or the success contradicts some narrative they want to create. So they put an asterisk on it or act as if it didn't really happen.

You can argue with these people until you are blue in the face but it doesn't matter. Unless you are looking to argue for the sake of arguing, the best thing is to shrug and ignore the people who spinning events in a way that you find silly.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

I agree that no one really cared. The ratings were really low and no fans in the arena. They didn't even have a parade. The championship kinda just came and went. If another team won it, I wouldn't be calling it a real championship, but since the Lakers won it, I use it in an argument; like "the Lakers won a championship not to long ago."

Last edited by Outspoken on Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:52 am; edited 2 times in total
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 Championship

yinoma2001 wrote:

Best post ever!!
People that say the 2020 title doesn't mean anything can go f** themselves.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I agree that no one really cared. The ratings were really low and no fans in the arenas. They didn't even have a parade. The championship kinda just came and went. If another team won it, I wouldn't be calling it a real championship, but since the Lakers won it, I use it in an argument; like "the Lakers won a championship not to long ago."

It’s weird that Laker fans call/called the Spurs 1999 championship an asterisk championship but not the 2020 one. At least that one was played in front of fans.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:51 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I agree that no one really cared. The ratings were really low and no fans in the arenas. They didn't even have a parade. The championship kinda just came and went. If another team won it, I wouldn't be calling it a real championship, but since the Lakers won it, I use it in an argument; like "the Lakers won a championship not to long ago."

It’s weird that Laker fans call/called the Spurs 1999 championship an asterisk championship but not the 2020 one. At least that one was played in front of fans.

And atleast they got a parade, but I feel if another team won the 2020 championship, they would have all kinds of things to say about it.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 Championship

yinoma2001 wrote:

Thank you for that, Yinoma.

Too bad the thread is already full of people that call themselves "Lakers fans", but are quick to diminish our accomplishments.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Its usually bitter Clipper fans (you know they were favored to win it all that season) or Celtics fans (it was title 17) that do their best to diminish it and they remind us constantly.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:06 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Neither title deserves a *
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:24 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Every title in NBA history has an asterisk on it in the eyes of some people. More often than not, the asterisk is put in place by people because they didn't like who won the title, rather than because of the circumstances under which they won.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

At that period, the ratings for virtually all major sporting events were plummeting.

The reasons people typically site for the low ratings across the board are: the intensity of the political news cycle, a glut of sports on TV and viewers’ lives being upended by the pandemic.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject:

It was great, but it was BS that the next season started immediately after. Maybe thats part of the reason we changed the roster so much? And it was definitely part of the reason for the injuries. Add a normal 2020 seaaon, and the 2021 season looks different imo

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject:

I definitely put a giant asterisk beside that title. It heavily favored any team that was old and injury prone. Which of course the Lakers two big guns were. We've seen in the year prior, and the year since, we are a much different team over a real season.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
I definitely put a giant asterisk beside that title. It heavily favored any team that was old and injury prone. Which of course the Lakers two big guns were. We've seen in the year prior, and the year since, we are a much different team over a real season.

This is not me
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: