2020 Championship
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
I definitely put a giant asterisk beside that title. It heavily favored any team that was old and injury prone. Which of course the Lakers two big guns were. We've seen in the year prior, and the year since, we are a much different team over a real season.

Oh you mean the following "old and injury prone" teams?

Milwaukee
Miami
Boston
Toronto
Houston
Denver
Clippers
Lakers

Look at the rosters. Most of those teams were younger, and the break allowed players like Giannis and Kawhi to get healed too.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
I definitely put a giant asterisk beside that title. It heavily favored any team that was old and injury prone. Which of course the Lakers two big guns were. We've seen in the year prior, and the year since, we are a much different team over a real season.

Oh you mean the following "old and injury prone" teams?

Milwaukee
Miami
Boston
Toronto
Houston
Denver
Clippers
Lakers

Look at the rosters. Most of those teams were younger, and the break allowed players like Giannis and Kawhi to get healed too.

Its easy to rewrite history. However in realtime players , like one from our team weren't interested. Said it was like practice.

Facts show. Bron as a laker, for full seasons = lottery, play in +1st round bounce, missed play in. The outlier is the bubble.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject:

it's a legit title.

Having said that, you're just going to have to deal with the fact that a lot of people are not going to take it as seriously as a regular title. The bubble was closer to a reality TV program that a sporting event. You can argue otherwise until you're blue in the face, but you'll never convince a lot of people otherwise.

My problem with it is not the legitimacy of the title. It's the quality of the product. I want to be entertained. A made-for-TV event in a bubble with no fans did not appeal to me. We didn't have to go to Miami and try to win a game in front of their screaming fans. It was like watching The Basketball Tournament without the Elam ending. Those of you in LA didn't even get a parade.

If you were entertained by it, I respect that. I wasn't, and neither were a lot of other people, as shown by the abysmal TV ratings. I didn't watch some of the games at all, and I watched only a few minutes of some of the other games. If that was the product that the NBA offered every year, the NBA would be about as popular as roller derby.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
it's a legit title.

Having said that, you're just going to have to deal with the fact that a lot of people are not going to take it as seriously as a regular title. The bubble was closer to a reality TV program that a sporting event. You can argue otherwise until you're blue in the face, but you'll never convince a lot of people otherwise.

My problem with it is not the legitimacy of the title. It's the quality of the product. I want to be entertained. A made-for-TV event in a bubble with no fans did not appeal to me. We didn't have to go to Miami and try to win a game in front of their screaming fans. It was like watching The Basketball Tournament without the Elam ending. Those of you in LA didn't even get a parade.

If you were entertained by it, I respect that. I wasn't, and neither were a lot of other people, as shown by the abysmal TV ratings. I didn't watch some of the games at all, and I watched only a few minutes of some of the other games. If that was the product that the NBA offered every year, the NBA would be about as popular as roller derby.

The 2020 championship will always be weird, because it happened at a weird time.

As the years go on, "the quality of the product" won't really matter. Ten or 20 years from now, hardly anyone will give much thought to it.

There will not be emotional debates about the championship on LG, as there are today.

It will become just lines of stats. LG will be overrun with new fans who will get no more worked up about Kobe and Lebron than people here today get worked up about Oscar Robertson and Jerry West.

And all the histrionics of today will be forgotten except for the arthritic fingers from too much typing about it all.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
it's a legit title.

Pretty much.
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: 2020 Championship

yinoma2001 wrote:
To me, this was a special championship. The season where Kobe died, the global pandemic. Life was pretty terrible for a lot of Lakers fans and a lot of people that year. I was very happy when the NBA decided to go with the Orlando bubble and resume play. I thought it was a tremendous operation that they pulled off to continue the season. The playing ground was leveled for all participants. Every team got to rest its players. There were injured players all around the NBA when the play stopped in March 2020. No one had home court advantage (imagine how crazy Staples Center would be during a Finals playoff run).

Few caveats. I do hate how the 2020 championship will make Jeanie/FO believe that they did something amazing that is sustainable. It was the elite play of LBJ/AD, and the elite play of its role players (defense especially). That they had the hubris to systematically dismantle the 2020 championship is another topic.

I do think a lot of folks who do not like LBJ or AD want to use that 2020 championship as a proxy to project their dislike of said players. Imagine if that duo didn't win the 2020 ring when they're getting some hatred for WINNING same.

I just find it a bit sad when some Lakers fan pile in on the narrative that the 2020 ring was some fake championship. Every championship can have an asterisk next to it. Raptors beat a KD/Klay-less Warriors. Warriors got KD to add to 3 all NBA players, are those asterisk seasons? Or when the Warriors beat a Love/Kyrie less Cavs. How about Kendrick Perkins missing that crucial Game 7 of the 2010 Finals? Or Houston Rockets winning against non-MJ teams in the 1990s. And so on. You win the games that are in front of you and the Lakers (and the rest of the NBA) did so in 2020. To me, that 2020 championship will mean a lot to me. I remember my kids, in the midst of COVID, just gathering around and watching every Lakers playoff game and loving that season. As Lakers fans, let's not loathe our own success that year.

We can have separate conversations about the durability of AD/LBJ, or how badly the FO/ownership have botched this team since then. But that should not taint the 2020 championship, the one that the team dedicated to Kobe.

No legitimate fan of this franchise can ever not love or cherish that championship like any of the others - particularly given all the circumstances involved. Folks who have agendas to push or demonize certain players (e.g., the main players instrumental in bringing that title) are a different story.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: