Dwayne Haskins struck by car and killed this morning
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Dwayne Haskins struck by car and killed this morning

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/04/09/dwayne-haskins-struck-by-car-and-killed/

Quote:
Dwayne Haskins struck by car and killed

Dwayne Haskins, a former Ohio State star quarterback who was a first-round draft pick in Washington and most recently played in Pittsburgh, has died at the age of 24.

Haskins was killed when he was hit by a car early this morning in South Florida, his agent told Adam Schefter.

At Ohio State, Haskins started just one season but instantly became one of the best players in college football, setting Big Ten records and finishing third in Heisman Trophy voting in 2018.

On the strength of that fantastic season, Washington chose Haskins with the 15th overall pick in the 2019 NFL draft. But he struggled through an up-and-down rookie season and was released during his second season in 2020.

The Steelers picked him up in 2021, and although he never got on the field for them in the regular season, they said this year that he would have an opportunity to compete for a starting job. Haskins was in Florida this week getting in offseason work with several other Steelers skill position players.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject:

damn. this is terrible.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject:

So sorry to see this. I'm praying for his family.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

Wow, apparently, he was in Florda training with his Steelers teammates. He ran out of gas on the Miami Hwy, got out and got run over by a dump truck.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Wow, apparently, he was in Florda training with his Steelers teammates. He ran out of gas on the Miami Hwy, got out and got run over by a dump truck.

Where did you read this?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Where did you read this?

Just scrolling through reddit and some are saying it's coming from Schefter. I haven't confirmed any of this but doesn't sound made up.

Quote:
FHP West Palm Beach
@FHPPalmBeach
·
Apr 9, 2022
Florida Highway Patrol is working a fatal vehicle vs pedestrian crash on westbound I-595 at I-95. Westbound lanes of I-595 will remain closed during this investigation. All traffic is being diverted to southbound I-95.

Malik
@coachmalikj

It was NFL QB Dwayne Haskins
8:18 AM · Apr 9, 2022

Quote:
According to ESPN, Haskins was in Florida training with his teammates from the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Quote:
Dwayne Haskins......died this morning when he got hit by a car in South Florida, per his agent Cedric Saunders.

Yeah, still trying to confirm the ran out of gas part, but looks like he was a pedestrian and got hit on the highway. So, something did happen to his car and he got out.

These are from reddit:

Quote:
On ESPN, Schefter just said. "He stopped on the road, got out of his car, and got clipped/hit." Unconfirmed.

Quote:
Schefter, on ESPN, just now said he believes he was out of his car on the highway for a some reason. Maybe an accident he was involved in, maybe car trouble. Then he was clipped while out of his vehicle. Unofficial though.

Quote:
Ran out of gas

Quote:
He was hit by a dump truck on the highway after his car ran out of gas according to other comments. Really unfortunate

Quote:
No, he was hit by a dump truck.

Looks like the dump truck story is confirmed:

https://wsvn.com/news/local/dump-truck-fatally-strikes-pedestrian-along-i-595-wb-lanes-in-fort-lauderdale/

Quote:
Dump truck fatally strikes pedestrian along I-595 WB lanes in Fort Lauderdale

Florida Highway Patrol responded to the scene along the westbound lanes of I-595, between north and south of Interstate 95 around 6:37 a.m., Saturday, after a dump truck crashed into a 24-year-old male pedestrian.

The pedestrian was pronounced dead on the scene.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:59 am; edited 5 times in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Unfortunately a lot of fatal accidents on highways usually involve people getting out of their vehicles.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

My deepest condolences to all of his loved ones. Damn!

🙏🏿🙏🏿🙏🏿
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject:

Unless it is a government, look for whatever company owns the dump truck to declare bankruptcy.

His wife can make a case for potential earnings losses in the high-8/low-9 figures. He was contending for a starting gig in Pittsburgh.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Unless it is a government, look for whatever company owns the dump truck to declare bankruptcy.

His wife can make a case for potential earnings losses in the high-8/low-9 figures. He was contending for a starting gig in Pittsburgh.

Reports are now that he was walking along the side of the highway. Different than him being hit as he was getting out of his car.

Quote:
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins died Saturday morning after he was struck by a dump truck while he was walking on a South Florida highway. Haskins was 24 years old.

Florida Highway Patrol spokesperson Lt. Indiana Miranda confirmed the accident on westbound Interstate 595. Haskins was pronounced dead at the scene.

Miranda didn't say why Haskins was on the highway. The accident caused the highway to be shut down for several hours.

"He was just walking on the highway and got hit," Miranda told The Associated Press.

I think someone walking along the side of the highway has less protection from the law than someone in their car while parked to the side (and hopefully emergency blinkers on).

But once you start walking, now you've put yourself in a more dangerous situation. It's much much harder to see someone walking along the highway. There's no opportunity to slow down.

Reports are that they arrived at the scene around 6:37am. Sunrise today in Fort Lauderdale was 7:02am. So good chance that he was walking in the dark.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject:

These things are always horrible, but when they are so avoidable it's just crushing.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject:

Either way its horrible. Seems like it is much safer to remain in your car and take the chance of the car being struck but you are in the protective cocoon of a car where it can take a collision. Usually in cases of a disabled motor vehicle the highway patrol will be quickly on the scene anyways.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

Reports are now that he was walking along the side of the highway. Different than him being hit as he was getting out of his car.

Quote:
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Dwayne Haskins died Saturday morning after he was struck by a dump truck while he was walking on a South Florida highway. Haskins was 24 years old.

Florida Highway Patrol spokesperson Lt. Indiana Miranda confirmed the accident on westbound Interstate 595. Haskins was pronounced dead at the scene.

Miranda didn't say why Haskins was on the highway. The accident caused the highway to be shut down for several hours.

"He was just walking on the highway and got hit," Miranda told The Associated Press.

I think someone walking along the side of the highway has less protection from the law than someone in their car while parked to the side (and hopefully emergency blinkers on).

But once you start walking, now you've put yourself in a more dangerous situation. It's much much harder to see someone walking along the highway. There's no opportunity to slow down.

Reports are that they arrived at the scene around 6:37am. Sunrise today in Fort Lauderdale was 7:02am. So good chance that he was walking in the dark.

The reports I saw on local news claimed he was walking "on" I595 around 6:30AM. It could be semantics, but the report did not claim or suggest the truck went off the road and hit him.....but hit him on the interstate. If I recall, I595 connects I95 and Alligator Alley.....there is a lot of swampy retention reservoirs along the road, and I can imagine wanting to stay closer to the road than off the shoulder if I was walking in the dark.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
The reports I saw on local news claimed he was walking "on" I595 around 6:30AM. It could be semantics, but the report did not claim or suggest the truck went off the road and hit him.....but hit him on the interstate. If I recall, I595 connects I95 and Alligator Alley.....there is a lot of swampy retention reservoirs along the road, and I can imagine wanting to stay closer to the road than off the shoulder if I was walking in the dark.

Even if the truck went off the road, I don't know how much fault the truck would be in.

Driving off the road isn't a criminal offense.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:15 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Even if the truck went off the road, I don't know how much fault the truck would be in.

I would still assume one is responsible for damage caused if they veer off the road....such as if go off the road and damage state property, you are responsible for the financial damages. Even though it is illegal in FL for people to walk along an interstate, I would think if a driver went off the road and hurt/killed someone illegally walking along the highway, the driver would still be held responsible subject to other variables.

I assume as more facts come out, it will make more sense in regards to the logistics.....but I would think it is uncommon in 2022 for someone that has car trouble to begin hiking down the interstate since everyone has a phone, especially a professional athlete with a material bank account.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:22 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
adkindo wrote:

I would still assume one is responsible for damage caused if they veer off the road....such as if go off the road and damage state property, you are responsible for the financial damages. Even though it is illegal in FL for people to walk along an interstate, I would think if a driver went off the road and hurt/killed someone illegally walking along the highway, the driver would still be held responsible subject to other variables.

I assume as more facts come out, it will make more sense in regards to the logistics.....but I would think it is uncommon in 2022 for someone that has car trouble to begin hiking down the interstate since everyone has a phone, especially a professional athlete with a material bank account.

Yeah, he'd be at some sort of fault, but I think most of the fault lies on the person that's walking along the highway in the dark.

The reason why is because, driving off road usually results in no punishment, or minimal. It happens.

But because one person decided to walk along the road while it's dark, now driving off the road becomes a major punishment.

The punishment wouldn't fit the crime.

Haskin's decision to walk in the dark along the highway would be the bigger reason as to why he got hit.

Now, assuming the truck driver wasn't intoxicated. If he was, then he's at fault.

But if he was driving at normal speed, not distracted, not talking on his phone or texting, and his only crime was veering off the road accidentally, I don't think he'd get punished that severely.

I don't think it'd be manslaughter or reckless driving.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
These things are always horrible, but when they are so avoidable it's just crushing.

Oddly enough, last night while trying to doze off, for whatever reason, I remembered a flat tire I had on the 10 in rush hour when I was in college. I knew enough then to stay in the car belted until help arrived precisely because of the tendency of cars to clip others on the side of the freeway. They're drawn into them, some kind of hypnotism or God knows. Drinking is a factor in most, but not all incidents. And, of course, I've seen many vids of cops scramming as they see it about to happen to them. They're hyper-vigilant about those sideswipes like a soldier is in battle.

Related to my tire blowout, I had a thought about myself as someone who generally likes to help someone in need when the cost to myself is minimal. I've let people jump their car using mine, given money to needy, I give 20 to kids selling stuff for school if I have one one me, I reminded my Albertson's checker the other day to scan 30 bucks worth of drinks in my cart that he forgot about while bagging my other stuff. Long story short, I'm not a cheat or an ahole in the little things in life as some unfortunate dic-s are, but I wouldn't help someone fix a tire on the side of a freeway. They tell you to roll on a flat(s) to a freeway exit and then to a safe spot for a reason. I've heard, read about, and seen too many of those situations. And I've seen a lot of gore level results from those accidents here and there over the years -- that stuff really hammers the point home. The victim is often some saint who dies for something so preventable. Remember one about a couple with kids coming home from an Eagles game and dad was killed leaving a wife and kids. Not worth it.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Oddly enough, last night while trying to doze off, for whatever reason, I remembered a flat tire I had on the 10 in rush hour when I was in college. I knew enough then to stay in the car belted until help arrived precisely because of the tendency of cars to clip others on the side of the freeway. They're drawn into them, some kind of hypnotism or God knows. Drinking is a factor in most, but not all incidents. And, of course, I've seen many vids of cops scramming as they see it about to happen to them. They're hyper-vigilant about those sideswipes like a soldier is in battle.

Related to my tire blowout, I had a thought about myself as someone who generally likes to help someone in need when the cost to myself is minimal. I've let people jump their car using mine, given money to needy, I give 20 to kids selling stuff for school if I have one one me, I reminded my Albertson's checker the other day to scan 30 bucks worth of drinks in my cart that he forgot about while bagging my other stuff. Long story short, I'm not a cheat or an ahole in the little things in life as some unfortunate dic-s are, but I wouldn't help someone fix a tire on the side of a freeway. They tell you to roll on a flat(s) to a freeway exit and then to a safe spot for a reason. I've heard, read about, and seen too many of those situations. And I've seen a lot of gore level results from those accidents here and there over the years -- that stuff really hammers the point home. The victim is often some saint who dies for something so preventable. Remember one about a couple with kids coming home from an Eagles game and dad was killed leaving a wife and kids. Not worth it.

Dude, I had a tire blow out on my morning commute into LA on the 405N right where the 710 S merges into the 405N. Like a GD idiot, I got out of my car. The blown tire was on the rear left passenger side so it was on the side facing the road. I actually decided to change the tire. I kid you not, when a semi would drive pass, the air turbulence was strong enough to wobble me slightly. I didn't think anything of it. When I told my co-workers what had happened, they were yelling at me like I was out of my GD mind. It simply didn't trigger in my head at the moment. After I had a chance to process it in, I was visibly shaking...couldn't keep my hands steady for the rest of the workday.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 1:26 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

The advice I heard was to drive the car to a service station if the car is still able to move, even if it will destroy the rims or wheels....you can replace those parts you can't replace what happens if you get maimed or killed while servicing your vehicle on the side of a freeway.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Dude, I had a tire blow out on my morning commute into LA on the 405N right where the 710 S merges into the 405N. Like a GD idiot, I got out of my car. The blown tire was on the rear left passenger side so it was on the side facing the road. I actually decided to change the tire. I kid you not, when a semi would drive pass, the air turbulence was strong enough to wobble me slightly. I didn't think anything of it. When I told my co-workers what had happened, they were yelling at me like I was out of my GD mind. It simply didn't trigger in my head at the moment. After I had a chance to process it in, I was visibly shaking...couldn't keep my hands steady for the rest of the workday.

That is some scary sh. I forgot to mention that I did have to get out and walk aways to the emergency phone to call someone with that same zoom! wobble stuff from cars (iirc, it was light traffic so people were doing 65 plus in the slow lane). I didn't have a cellular back then (standard, this was 98, whatever night we played at INDY, that I recall watching when I finally got home), Nor a pager. Amazing how primitive it was even in the late 90s for young people and adults alike as far as being able to call for help, AAA, whatever from the safety of your car. If I had known better then, I would've continued to drive on the flapper until I was off the freeway.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

The advice I heard was to drive the car to a service station if the car is still able to move, even if it will destroy the rims or wheels....you can replace those parts you can't replace what happens if you get maimed or killed while servicing your vehicle on the side of a freeway.

Once in the early heavy commute flow bout 20 yrs ago, there was a dude on the 60 W nearing Diamond Bar. That's an area which has had more than one fatal accident scene I know of. It's a badly designed hard turn with elevation and downward slope depending on the direction of travel. I've heard of fatals on either side, too. On the E side, I had some hairy days trying to merge between semis and on the W side, cars went faster going down the grade. I was stuck in one for probably 90 mins one morn in 99/00, and I think 3-4 people died in a 2-3 vehicle accident. But right around there, there's a high median wall where this poor motorcyclist was sitting one morn. He had a foot or two of space to park his bike and he somehow got up to the top and just had to sit there til the cops came to stop traffic for him. I think he must've inched his way to the lower, sloping start of the wall with a foot between himself and the fast lane like he was crawling around a ledge on a building (think scene in Cat's Eye) and he then had to crawl up the top and carefully af sit and not lose his balance because if he fell off in either direction, there was gonna be a tire track thru his noodle in either fast lane.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Hall of Famer Gil Brandt blasted for repulsive comments after Dwayne Haskins death

“I hate any time anybody is killed or anybody dies. But he was a guy that was living to be dead, so to speak. They told him don’t under any circumstances leave school early, you just don’t have the work habits, you don’t have this, you don’t have that…It was always something…Maybe if he just stayed in school a year, he wouldn’t do silly links, like jogging on a highway.”

NFL Hall of Famer Gil Brandt’s comments on NFL radio regarding Dwayne Haskins, via Pete Damilatis

https://sportsnaut.com/gil-brandt-dwayne-haskins-comments/
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Wow, another report says he was actually trying to cross the highway:

Quote:
Horrifying Details Emerge Regarding Dwayne Haskins Tragic Death After Being Struck By Dump Truck On Highway

Not much more was known at the time, leading to wonder exactly what had happened. Details has since emerged, however, and they only serve to make this tragedy even more horrifying.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, Haskins was struck by a dump truck on the I-595 while trying to cross lanes with incoming traffic.

According to the FHP, Haskins was walking on a “limited access facility for unknown reasons.”

Via CBS Miami:

“He was attempting to cross the westbound lanes of I-595 when there was oncoming traffic.”

“Unfortunately, he was struck by an oncoming dump truck,” authorities said.

Many have since claimed that Haskins got out of his vehicle on the highway because he had run out of gas.

This information has not been confirmed, but it would certainly make sense. Regardless of the reason for Haskins leaving his car, this is a shocking loss for many, as Haskins was a very well-respected man in the eyes of his peers — many of whom took a moment to share their shock and condolences on Twitter after hearing the news.

https://www.totalprosports.com/2022/04/09/horrifying-details-emerge-regarding-dwayne-haskins-tragic-death-after-being-struck-by-dump-truck-on-highway/
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

That is some scary sh. I forgot to mention that I did have to get out and walk aways to the emergency phone to call someone with that same zoom! wobble stuff from cars (iirc, it was light traffic so people were doing 65 plus in the slow lane). I didn't have a cellular back then (standard, this was 98, whatever night we played at INDY, that I recall watching when I finally got home), Nor a pager. Amazing how primitive it was even in the late 90s for young people and adults alike as far as being able to call for help, AAA, whatever from the safety of your car. If I had known better then, I would've continued to drive on the flapper until I was off the freeway.

Yeah, I remember in the late 80s being in a car with my sister that stalled on the freeway and having to make the walk to the yellow phone.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

I would think it is better to just get as far off the road as reasonably possible, and call for roadside service. Not only are rims going to be expensive, a lot more damage can be done to the entire axle and suspension system of a car driving on a steel rim.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: