What's up with Kurt Rambis
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:03 am    Post subject:

laker4life wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
How many of you still say Jeannie is better than Jim Buss? Lakers were mediocre during Jim Buss days, but at least they operated as a normal nba franchise, with professional personnel in the front office. Right now it’s an (bleep) show, family bully can’t wait to kick out an outsider so he can take his spot in the family business.

This falls on Pelinka.

Jennie brought in Pelinka to make these decisions.

Neither Pelinka nor Magic were qualified to do the job Jeanie hired them for. It falls on her for getting rid of her brother and Mitch Kupchack.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:10 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
A Jeanie also empowered Rambis to undermine Pelinka's decisions. So there's that....

What? How has Kurt Rambis undermined Rob Pelinka's decisions? No, no, Pelinka has undermined himself.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
RG73 wrote:
A Jeanie also empowered Rambis to undermine Pelinka's decisions. So there's that....

What? How has Kurt Rambis undermined Rob Pelinka's decisions? No, no, Pelinka has undermined himself.

Yeah, I agree with this and that’s where I see AH’a bogeyman reference come up in regards to Kurt. We’re lumping dude’s contributions into what Rob is employed and getting paid to do. That being said, Pincus did fan the flames of the bogeyman with this comment:

Quote:
One executive even called him the Lakers’ “shadow president.”

My understanding is that Kurt was the lead in terms of hiring Vogs and handpicking his assistants.

Quote:
According to a person familiar with the negotiations, it wasn’t general manager Rob Pelinka but senior basketball adviser Kurt Rambis who orchestrated the Vogel hiring. He also made the move for Jason Kidd, who will serve on the bench as an assistant coach.

Quote:
If Pelinka was telling people that Magic was mostly MIA, he wasn’t exactly spilling state secrets. This had been a topic of great discussion for quite some time, with innumerable other sources who saw it first-hand saying the same thing. One agent who deals with the Lakers, for example, found all the handwringing about Magic’s exit comical at the time because – duh – Pelinka had been running the front office without Johnson the entire time as it was.

Imho the blame game probably goes as:
Roster construction - Rob
Coaching hires - Kurt
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:27 am    Post subject:

Well, he's married to the owner's BFF so he's safe. He could do whatever he wants without fearing any consequences as long as his wife's BFF is in charge.

Jeanie, Linda and Kurt are like conjoined twins. They go together and cannot be separated. It's either all are gone or none are gone.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Booooo haha

Quote:
Stanley Johnson on if he will be with the Lakers next season: "That's a question for Rob...and Kurt"

https://giphy.com/gifs/filmeditor-horror-halloween-john-carpenter-3otPooRxpA5S01jrS8
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Harrison Faigen
@hmfaigen

From how much players have brought him up today during exit interviews, it sounds like in the absence of Frank Vogel (fired), Kurt Rambis was running the check-out chats along with Rob Pelinka.

Can y’all please stop saying his name! Y’all will summon him & then it’s #ScaryTimes

https://tenor.com/bmG4v.gif
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject:

^^^^^

Beetlejuice . . . .
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I'd say we should put Rambis on blast like Knicks fans do Dolan, but that probably signals to these idiots that they should dig their heels in.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^^

Beetlejuice . . . .
😅
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^^

Beetlejuice . . . .

Candyman....
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject:

We are the lemonade stand of the NBA.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Rambis is a bogeyman. I'm not sure that he really does much of anything. So now we have a "league source" claiming that Rambis "would get on Vogel in front of staff and players." That's pretty vague. And then we get this:

Quote:
“Magic knew what he was doing,” the source said. “I’m not sure who else there does.”

Oh, yeah. That's a good source.

Sounds like the source is Magic.
Shalashaska
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:30 am    Post subject:

A dude who was marginal/mediocre at best as head coach during his (brief) 1999 Lakers tenure, and horrible (during his late 2010's Twolves/Knicks tenure) has absolutely zero business having a seat at the table in any modern front office. The worst thing about it is that he (and Linda) have no public accountability to the fanbase or media - which of course, leads you to Jeannie for her ridiculous nepotism that's become a hallmark of this organization.

Today, it felt like Pelinka was asked to fall on his sword and take all responsibility for next season (not necessarily a bad thing in itself) - but why shield Kurt and the other "shadow" folks who have input as well? That just reinforces the perception of favoritism and nepotistic garbage that has permeated this regime from top to bottom. When or if Pelinka fails to live up to expectations for 2022-23, the Rambii's head better be on the chopping block as well, that's for damn sure.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject:

Sigh. Build something, get fortunate to be able to have the perfect plan B.
Only to tear it all down and trash it due to incompetence.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Sigh. Build something, get fortunate to be able to have the perfect plan B.
Only to tear it all down and trash it due to incompetence.

I don't want to depress you further, but really, it's worse than that. See a 1 year miss would be bearable, you learn from your mistakes and you move on.
However here, the lux tax situation is $40-60 million bad, there are only 3 trade-able contracts (LBJ, AD, THT), there's no MLE, there are hardly any picks to trade or improve the team, the repeater tax is merely a year away (meaning no exciting big contracts coming in). In summary, it's a multi-year setback.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
RG73 wrote:

Yeah, I agree with this and that’s where I see AH’a bogeyman reference come up in regards to Kurt. We’re lumping dude’s contributions into what Rob is employed and getting paid to do. That being said, Pincus did fan the flames of the bogeyman with this comment:

Quote:
One executive even called him the Lakers’ “shadow president.”

My understanding is that Kurt was the lead in terms of hiring Vogs and handpicking his assistants.

Quote:
According to a person familiar with the negotiations, it wasn’t general manager Rob Pelinka but senior basketball adviser Kurt Rambis who orchestrated the Vogel hiring. He also made the move for Jason Kidd, who will serve on the bench as an assistant coach.

Quote:
If Pelinka was telling people that Magic was mostly MIA, he wasn’t exactly spilling state secrets. This had been a topic of great discussion for quite some time, with innumerable other sources who saw it first-hand saying the same thing. One agent who deals with the Lakers, for example, found all the handwringing about Magic’s exit comical at the time because – duh – Pelinka had been running the front office without Johnson the entire time as it was.

Imho the blame game probably goes as:
Roster construction - Rob
Coaching hires - Kurt

this would make a ton of sense, and been explanatory to Kurts meddlesome behavior with Frank and Co. It his pick on the line. Rob and LeGm bring i the players,Kurt the coach. Kurt doesn’t have to treat the coach with the same kid gloves like Rob and Klutch so Kurt rides the staff due to the garbage returns.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject:

honestly wondering now if Linda/Jeanie got Phil to hire Kurt as an assistant.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject:

I find it very interesting how much hate Kurt and Linda Rambis are getting right now.
It's obvious that people see the nepotism with Jeanie as a problem.
I do, for sure.
I didn't like what I had read about Kurt kind of belittling Vogel at practices and forcing him to make adjustments with Russ or playing more Jordan.

I think the FO needs a shake up and I am not sure anything will happen.
Maybe there will be pressure from season ticket holders or others connected to the organization to make changes.

I am also hoping they get the right coach and let them hire their own staff. Kurt should have nothing to do with this.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject:

Senior Basketball Advisor

"In his role, Rambis will report to [Magic] Johnson and support the basketball operations and coaching staffs in their day-to-day functions."

https://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/180928-lakers-hire-kurt-rambis
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: