“Thank You Frank Vogel” @Lakers (ESPN: Vogel Dismissed by Lakers; Asst Coaches still with Lakers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Deserved to be fired in December

3 months too late

He didn’t build the crappy team, Rob did. I’m okay with
Firing Vogel but it would not have made a difference. No
couch was going to with with our misfits, this is a
scapegoat firing and nothing more.

Lakers needed to fire Rob and Vogel; only half the job is done.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:41 pm    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:

3 months too late

Fire them all and sell the team. I am fine with that
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Brad Turner: Rob Pelinka, the Lakers’ vice president of basketball operations and general manager, said the team hasn’t put “together a list or who the replacement is” in a coaching search to replace the fired Frank Vogel.

That hasn’t stopped the rumors from starting about who the Lakers will be interested in after they officially parted ways with Vogel on Monday.

The most intriguing coaching names they likely will consider are Utah’s Quin Snyder, Toronto’s Nick Nurse, Philadelphia’s Doc Rivers and Michigan’s Juwan Howard, but all of those coaches are under contract.

Steve Clifford, the former coach with the Orlando Magic, Terry Stotts, the former Portland Trail Blazers coach, and Darvin Ham, an assistant coach with the Milwaukee Bucks, are names that have been mentioned among league insiders.

The Lakers, Pelinka said during an interview with reporters Monday afternoon, will not be in a rush to make a decision on the next coach.

“I think it’s going to be a very methodical process, and I think the principles here are not to pick an end date and say, ‘Hey, we have to have someone by this date.’ I think we want to find the right person,” Pelinka said. “I think that’s the most important thing. I think all things considered, it would be great to have someone in place by the [NBA] draft” on June 23.

“But our process will be thorough and methodical, and we haven’t even begun to put together a list or discuss who the replacement is. We wanted to make a commitment to finishing the season strong last night, which we were able to do. And not skip steps, and kind of turn to those decisions once the season was over starting today.”

Snyder, who is known for having very good offensive sets and a solid defensive foundation, has led the Jazz to the playoffs for the sixth consecutive season. He was an assistant with the Lakers while on the staff of coach Mike Brown in 2011-2012. Not only is Snyder under contract with the Jazz for at least one more season, people not authorized to speak publicly on the matter said he has become less interested in the Lakers’ job because of how the Vogel firing was handled.

Nurse, who led the Raptors to the NBA championship in 2019, also has a few years left on his deal and no one from around the league thinks Toronto will let him leave. Nurse signed a multiyear contract extension in 2020 with two years still remaining on his current deal.

As one person with knowledge of the situation said, “there hasn’t been anything substantiated by way of any discussion from any parties.”

Nurse is represented by Klutch Sports, which also represents Lakers stars LeBron James and Anthony Davis, both of whom have told friends that they like how Nurse coaches.

Although Rivers has three years left on his deal with the 76ers, a person familiar with his situation said he should not be discounted as a candidate. Rivers won an NBA championship with the Celtics in 2008 and lost a Finals rematch with the Lakers in 2010.

Many people around the league feel Rivers has the clout and the respect to coach stars like James, Davis and Russell Westbrook.

According to people familiar with Howard’s situation, he wants to continue coaching his two sons, Jett and Jace, who both play at Michigan. Howard interviewed for the Lakers job that eventually went to Vogel in 2019. Howard was an assistant coach for six seasons with Miami and won two championships as a player with James and the Heat.

“In terms of what this team needs right now, we feel like with, obviously, superstars on our team, we want a strong voice that’s able to inspire the players to play at the highest level of competition every night,” Pelinka said.

“And I think that’s going to be one of the resounding qualities that we look for in terms of holding everybody from the top player on our team to the 15th man to a degree of accountability. And that’s going to be one of the many characteristics that I think jumps out today.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2022-04-11/lakers-coaching-candidates-insiders-guide-doc-rivers-nick-nurse

So out of all the names locked into current deals, Doc seems the most likeliest

Didn't you get the memo? Rambi wants to be the coach and Jeannie is making his wish come true.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject:

lol im so dumb at writing lol
lakerfansd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:46 pm    Post subject:

Shaking my head reading in the article that it says Snyder's interest waned after seeing how Vogel was fired. Not because I want Snyder, but just the way the organization keeps looking like amateur hour over and over. Our franchise used to be looked at as one of the classiest organizations. Now we're just an embarrassment starting from the top and the way things are run down to the way we perform on the court.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:00 pm    Post subject:

not good, lakers go through coaches too quickly. The best eras; 80's, 2000's, and even the lakeshow of the mid to late 90's was with more coaching stability.

in Vogel's defense, injuries to AD and partially LBJ and replacing defensive minded players with past their prime divas was a recipe for disaster - i don't think PJ could've made anything out of this mess.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:32 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
I wish Jeanie would hire Phil just so LBJ would leave.

Bron is going to sign extension this summer

Yes, we know your position Klutch intern.

At least someone will be happy.

No it’s just common sense.

Jeanie is not trading her money making machine

I already demonstrated that our TV contract is 3 billion for 20 years... our attendance is basically unchanged or slightly down due to pandemic.

We are the butt of jokes on social media and national media.

Space Jam 2 bombed.

The amount of money LBJ generates for us seems wildly overestimated.

You have to also include merch.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I don't hate Vogel or anything at all but he clearly lost the Roster and consistently made awful choices all season long regardless of the bad spot he was put in with so many injuries/drama. This season opened my eyes quite a bit showing the lost assistants were likely very instrumental during that Bubble run on the offensive end and especially in-game and in-between game adjustments which have just completely vanished for the most part. I don't blame the defensive struggles on him at all this year but everything else? Absolutely, he looked and acted completely lost and just non stop puzzling decisions.

To his credit I think he knew he was gone quite awhile ago and probably was checked out for much of the second half especially.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:

<snip>

You have to wonder, just how attractive is the job...really...taking our fan glasses off and the whole "this is the franchise of dominance and greatness" aura.

3 years ago they refused to give any real big deals, Monty Williams said no thanks; Lue got offended; Vogel was basically out of basketball and took the job after a year hiatus (IIRC). Now stuff comes out saying Rambis is embarrassing his head coach, mixed in with the team's (if it continues) unwillingness to pay for an extended period for a HC...just sayin'.

Right, now consider whether a reputable/established coach will agree to come for anything less than a 4-5 year deal given the dealings with Monty/Vogel/Lue?
(Let alone a team that has no picks, is badly capped, has a 38 yo Lebron on his farewell tour, and barely 2-3 other starting-caliber players)
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject:

The sad thing is it is clear the very top (Pelinka, Jeanie, Rambis) were never 100% sold on Vogel being their guy for the next decade. I personally was. I thought this guy (and it showed in our last 2 games of the season and what he did for Caruso, Kuzma, KCP defensively) was great for a rebuild situation where he can teach young talented players how to focus on defense as well. Most coaches in the NBA only help you on offense, Frank gives you freedom on offense to create (See Reaves, THT, Monk and not wanting to go all in on WB being the point guard) while giving a max effort on guard pressure, This is a great way to develop young players and also build culture. We saw our last 2 games of the season how a re-build situation post-Lebron could look like. We would be competitive on defense and have energy while also develop the young players. We really lacked this with other coaches.

And we had a lot of that culture on the team and trashed it with trading for Westbrook. Then moving on from Caruso, and then bringing in one dimensional players who we thought would reap the benefit of Westbrook.

Anyway my point is, why not just move on from Vogel last year and hire Kidd? Kidd at least had the respect of Lebron/Rich Paul, and already knew Vogel's championship winning schemes. Westbrook would have to respect Kidd because he's a NBA HOF player.

Really, the way this was all handled with a) letting Kidd go while only giving Vogel a 1 year lame duck extension and b) trading all of Vogel's defensive players for Westbrook. I don't think they did it on purpose, but it certainly seems like Vogel was undermined from the start.

I will always root for the Lakers, but Jeanie would be very wise to move on from Rambis and Pelinka, but she just won't. They completely dismantaled and destroyed a ring team and culture that could have been in place for 5-7 years. Even if you re-build, you can re-build with that defensive first championship mentality culture.

The culture we have now with Westbrook, old Lebron chasing a scoring record. LOL. This is probably why they knew they had to move on from Vogel. They messed up the situation and now are hoping a strong authorative figure will change the culture. I guess yeah, it could certainly help. Vogel's mindset was not for old Lebron chasing Kareem's scoring title or Westbrook, but at the same time will this change help get you what you ultimately want, which is a NBA championship? To me it seems this change has a lot to do with wanting to prove they weren't idiots for trading for Westbrook. I mean, it is clear Anthony Davis has said it. Reaves has said it. Monk has said it. Stanley certainly showed it. It wasn't those guys who had an issue with Frank.

If you read what Magic said, I would guess Jeanie just listened to Magic. Expect the big 3 back next year, where winning 50 games and bowing out in the 2nd round will be seen as huge progress. Set the bar so low now, that even being a top 5 team in the West is good. They basically want to prove that the FO was not incompetent for trading for Westbrook, when we all really know they are. The bar is now set so low, that the new coach has to come in and get 45-50 wins, a 2 round playoffs and this is seen as great. Lebron breaks Kareem's record. There's no championship expectations moving forward.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject:

lakerfansd wrote:
Shaking my head reading in the article that it says Snyder's interest waned after seeing how Vogel was fired. Not because I want Snyder, but just the way the organization keeps looking like amateur hour over and over. Our franchise used to be looked at as one of the classiest organizations. Now we're just an embarrassment starting from the top and the way things are run down to the way we perform on the court.

Stop falling for the Okky Doke. With the playoffs looming, you really believe that Quinn Snyder was interested and then not interested in a job with the Lakers, all in a span of 24 hours?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject:

Hiring Doc Rivers would be an extremely Jeanie thing to do.

Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject:

Sam Amick: Lebron would be enthused by mark Jackson

Buzz off bron
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:59 am    Post subject:

Jeanie has turned lakers into the sterling clippers while ballmer has made clippers world class org. It really is embarrassing how bad she has been.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject:

IMO that is a big expectation for this team to increase by 20 wins next year if they keep the Big Three intact and rely on them as the foundation pieces.

As a lot of things went wrong this year, a lot of things need to go right next year for it to happen.

New HC and systems, adding several role players that contribute with minimal cap or trade assets, improve roster chemistry and overall intensity ( especially defensively!) and hope for a much healthier year. That may make them competitive and 50 game winners. Maybe even a first round road series win if the matchup is right.

Sure, I can squint my eyes and through the blurriness see all that happening, why not?
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Hiring Doc Rivers would be an extremely Jeanie thing to do.

We could do a lot worse and he is very experienced in his primary function: Making excuses about an injury prone roster.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The sad thing is it is clear the very top (Pelinka, Jeanie, Rambis) were never 100% sold on Vogel being their guy for the next decade. I personally was. I thought this guy (and it showed in our last 2 games of the season and what he did for Caruso, Kuzma, KCP defensively) was great for a rebuild situation where he can teach young talented players how to focus on defense as well. Most coaches in the NBA only help you on offense, Frank gives you freedom on offense to create (See Reaves, THT, Monk and not wanting to go all in on WB being the point guard) while giving a max effort on guard pressure, This is a great way to develop young players and also build culture. We saw our last 2 games of the season how a re-build situation post-Lebron could look like. We would be competitive on defense and have energy while also develop the young players. We really lacked this with other coaches.

And we had a lot of that culture on the team and trashed it with trading for Westbrook. Then moving on from Caruso, and then bringing in one dimensional players who we thought would reap the benefit of Westbrook.

Anyway my point is, why not just move on from Vogel last year and hire Kidd? Kidd at least had the respect of Lebron/Rich Paul, and already knew Vogel's championship winning schemes. Westbrook would have to respect Kidd because he's a NBA HOF player.

Really, the way this was all handled with a) letting Kidd go while only giving Vogel a 1 year lame duck extension and b) trading all of Vogel's defensive players for Westbrook. I don't think they did it on purpose, but it certainly seems like Vogel was undermined from the start.

I will always root for the Lakers, but Jeanie would be very wise to move on from Rambis and Pelinka, but she just won't. They completely dismantaled and destroyed a ring team and culture that could have been in place for 5-7 years. Even if you re-build, you can re-build with that defensive first championship mentality culture.

The culture we have now with Westbrook, old Lebron chasing a scoring record. LOL. This is probably why they knew they had to move on from Vogel. They messed up the situation and now are hoping a strong authorative figure will change the culture. I guess yeah, it could certainly help. Vogel's mindset was not for old Lebron chasing Kareem's scoring title or Westbrook, but at the same time will this change help get you what you ultimately want, which is a NBA championship? To me it seems this change has a lot to do with wanting to prove they weren't idiots for trading for Westbrook. I mean, it is clear Anthony Davis has said it. Reaves has said it. Monk has said it. Stanley certainly showed it. It wasn't those guys who had an issue with Frank.

If you read what Magic said, I would guess Jeanie just listened to Magic. Expect the big 3 back next year, where winning 50 games and bowing out in the 2nd round will be seen as huge progress. Set the bar so low now, that even being a top 5 team in the West is good. They basically want to prove that the FO was not incompetent for trading for Westbrook, when we all really know they are. The bar is now set so low, that the new coach has to come in and get 45-50 wins, a 2 round playoffs and this is seen as great. Lebron breaks Kareem's record. There's no championship expectations moving forward.

Sorry completely disagree with this take and actually surprised coming from you. Truth be told...the team won a title just 2 years ago...it can be argued that if AD didn't get hurt during the Suns series with the Lakers up 2-1 and having just blown out the Suns they could've won B2B titles. The biggest mistake made was Pelinka being convinced by Bron and AD to make the Russ trade....then compounded by signing a bunch of old guys. Pelinka needs to own that (which he did yesterday) and grow some gonads and know when to say no and go from there.
This honestly is fixable. Rumors already of Nurse (Klutch guy) possibly coming over...rumors of Indy possibly taking Russ for Hield or Brogdon...just right there you have completely upgraded and destined to be a tough out....bring back Monk, Reaves and trading THT for an athletic big and continue to sign younger, athletic pieces that can run the floor and play D (unlike Melo, Ariza, Baze Ellington, Bradley, DJ)and you become top 4 again. I'm not nearly as negative or down as most of you. We'll see what the future holds but to say this team is doomed and the best we can do is 45 wins and a second round exit is ignorant.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:29 am    Post subject:

^
1) I agree with you in general that a healthy AD with the way the team was once set up with 2-way wings and defensive 3nD guys was enough to win a ring if AD can stay healthy all playoffs. So that remains if we can move on from Westbrook.

But I don't think this is the plan. Magic went on media tours and revealed what he told Jeanie, that to keep Westbrook and make the big 3 work with a new coach.

2) Pelinka has signed though Klutch:

Trez over Dwight/McGee, knowing Dwight/McGee were essential anchors for Vogel's defensive schemes.

THT over Caruso knowing Caruso was essential to championship level defense and the overall energy we need off the ball when Lebron/AD go to work on offense.

Nunn for MMLE.

Now sure Klutch may deliver Nurse. I think Nurse is a good coach, and I would agree it can be argued it's an upgrade in coaching. But lets first see what Nurse would do with Westbrook, lets see if Westbrook is actually moved and most important what it costs to do business with Toronto. They're not just letting their HC go away for free. They'll want something.

So to say at one side that Pelinka learned his mistake and the other side also say Klutch will deliver Nurse, I don't really believe that. If Klutch delivers a coach of the level of Nurse, it means they're still deeply in partnership with running the Lakers. BTW, as much as I like Nurse, being in Toronto and dealing with that pressure vs being in LA are two different worlds of pressure. All that said, I think he would be an upgrade for sure.

I don't think the partnership with Klutch/Pelinka is over.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject:

the problem is the structure of front office, you can hire the best coaches out there, but if their hands are tied by Kurt freaking Rambis, then he'll just be like Vogel. needs to get the Rambii out of the coaching decision before perusing a head coach.
Robster8989
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:41 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:

3 months too late

Amen!
Total scapegoat firing.
I don't love Vogel, he is what he is. A solid NBA, defensive minded head coach.
2 years ago he had a roster built to his strengths that bought into his system, and won a Chip. It was time to move on, but this year is on Pelinka and the LBJ/Klutch unholy alliance.
I saw Westbrook's comments just now, saying he's not sure what Vogel had against him.
Honestly Russ? Maybe it was that you don't play D, you can't shoot and you're a turnover machine? Do you think maybe that had something to do with it?
Seeing a player like Russ, who was an absolute collosal disaster for this team, calling out Vogel who was scapegoated like that just makes me sick.
And trust me, I'm not a Vogel lover either, but there is no accountability in this front office or with the players, so I expect this disaster to continue.
Just sick, and frankly, pathetic.

West Point '88
UCLA '92
75th Ranger Regiment '88-'04
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject:

I agree with the "Vogel got screwed" crowd. With the right players, Vogel has proven with both Lakers and Pacers that he can be a winning coach. His weakness is making the adjustments needed if the roster he's handed isn't a perfect fit for his style. Digging deeper, he isn't one of those coaches who commands the FO's respect enough that he can shape the roster his way. Lakers need a coach who can tell Rob and the Rambii to stfu and get him x,y,z players to build a decent roster for whatever system will be put in place and a coach who will command enough respect from the players to buy into whatever that system might be.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject:

Much appreciation for Vogel, for winning the Lakers a title, and for being a very good defensive coach. I think the Lakers made a mistake firing him, getting better takes a back seat here, their goal is to convince casual fans that they solved the problem.

Defense wins titles, Jeannie got lucky when Vogel showed up, she let stupid decision makers wreck this roster, future draft assets and our salary cap, and got rid of the best coach we had since PJ to protect her stupid decision makers.

Now who's going to coach this team. Rambis? Rivers? Jackson?

As for Frank Vogel, once again - thank you.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Vogel wasn’t great for the magic, in a rebuild situation, unless you mean getting a team to the lottery.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject:

Remember that stupid ass narrative in 2019 where our FO was divided between Monty & Lue, so they wanted to wait out and prolong the coaching search so that another team would swoop up one of them so that we can pick the other one? Yeah, me either cause I want to forget the ridiculousness of it all. Anyways, here’s a reminder…

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2019/5/7/18536037/lakers-rumors-tyronn-lue-first-choice-coach-waited-until-monty-williams-was-gone-lebron-james-power

Well one of them just won CotY for the consecutive year and the other was insulted by being named a “Bron coach” and chose that other team over there.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33724884/sources-phoenix-suns-monty-williams-voted-top-coach-coaches-association-2nd-straight-year

As for the coach our FO is so interested in now…well, he just admonished us haha. You can’t make this ish up folks.

Quote:
Tom Moore: #Sixers coach Doc Rivers on rumors of him being a candidate to coach the #Lakers: ‘I have a job. We want to win here.’ Says the entire staff is happy in Philly. – via Twitter TomMoorePhilly

Justin Grasso: Doc Rivers on coaching change rumors around the league during the season: “I think it’s disrespectful to all of the other coaches…. It makes our jobs so much harder. I think the Frank Vogel thing was so unfair….. it’s just not right and I hate it” #Sixers – via Twitter JGrasso_

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
Tom Moore: #Sixers coach Doc Rivers on rumors of him being a candidate to coach the #Lakers: ‘I have a job. We want to win here.’ Says the entire staff is happy in Philly. – via Twitter TomMoorePhilly

Justin Grasso: Doc Rivers on coaching change rumors around the league during the season: “I think it’s disrespectful to all of the other coaches…. It makes our jobs so much harder. I think the Frank Vogel thing was so unfair….. it’s just not right and I hate it” #Sixers – via Twitter JGrasso_

Ouch. The optics aren't good for the Lakers
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13
Jump to: