For you guys who want Vogel gone, who is going to replace him?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Looks like we should have hired Jason Kidd as Head Coach instead of assistant when we had the chance. And obviously Lue. But I’m curious what Snyder could do when he doesn’t have stars as limited as Mitchell and Gobert.

Kidd is straight up running what Vogel did a lot of the times.

Beating the Jazz in playoffs, even with your star player out for some of that, is not that big a deal, TBH.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
At one point, our final list of coaches were: Vogel (won 1 ring), Lue (won 1 ring) and Monty Williams.

They did well in the process part of this, so I'm hopeful. But ownership couldn't close the deal. Jerry Buss would have closed.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject:

Ettoire Messina is still around too, whom I thought would have been the perfect coach for the Lakers when they had their young talent.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Looks like we should have hired Jason Kidd as Head Coach instead of assistant when we had the chance. And obviously Lue. But I’m curious what Snyder could do when he doesn’t have stars as limited as Mitchell and Gobert.

Beating the Jazz in playoffs, even with your star player out for some of that, is not that big a deal, TBH.

One of the smartest things Kidd could have done, studying under a professional coach like Vogel. Kidd had the cache and a lot of basketball smarts, but he became a head coach before learning the job. Could see him becoming the guy who replaces whoever we hire next. Would fit the Buss MO to a tee.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Mike Brown come on down

I think he’ll get the call eventually.
Seriously, if Nick Nurse did want this job, I would question his critical thinking.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject:

Juwan
Quinn
Nurse
Kidd

IMHO is the list they will go after.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Juwan
Quinn
Nurse
Kidd

Go after coaches you can’t talk to?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

One of the smartest things Kidd could have done, studying under a professional coach like Vogel. Kidd had the cache and a lot of basketball smarts, but he became a head coach before learning the job. Could see him becoming the guy who replaces whoever we hire next. Would fit the Buss MO to a tee.

He’s actually pretty similar to Vogel in that Dallas is more of a grind/defensive awareness type team.

It’s honestly preference. I’m thinking the Carlisle teams would have blown the crap out of this Jazz team. We saw what happened to Dallas when their hot shooting cooled against the Clippers. They couldn’t defend and paid for it when their shots weren’t falling.

Kidd will have them more capable to close out games and series, but the flip side of that is the opponent stays in the game.

He still has Luka, so maybe this Vogel/Kidd type strategy is better for them since they have a closer in Luka who can close out like Lebron with even better shooting.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Sources: The Lakers have requested permission to interview Milwaukee Bucks assistant Darvin Ham for their head coach opening. Ham served as a Lakers assistant from 2011-13. The team is starting the next stage of the coaching search process.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1520141624097091588
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Juwan
Quinn
Nurse
Kidd

come on. "can't" doesn't really mean "can't".
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Juwan
Quinn
Nurse
Kidd

Actually it does, they are under contract. I guess you could trade picks and/or players for the opportunity to talk to them.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Juwan
Quinn
Nurse
Kidd

Actually it does, they are under contract. I guess you could trade picks and/or players for the opportunity to talk to them.

see. You already made it possible, though slight.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Dham is an interesting choice.

Fits the mold of late 40-early 50 year olds who were mediocre as players being good coaches a la Monty and Kerr.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject:

This could be as much about price tag as anything.

First time NBA head coach gonna take 15M/3.

That may be the budget for the Lakers, 15M/3 years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Ettoire Messina is still around too, whom I thought would have been the perfect coach for the Lakers when they had their young talent.

Sadly European coaches arent trusted. Incredible how a noob like Walton gets a chance before one of the best (Euro) coaches out there

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:31 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:

Fits the mold of late 40-early 50 year olds who were mediocre as players being good coaches a la Monty and Kerr.

Why do you think it is that mediocre players make good coaches but star players usually fail, other than maybe Kidd? (Too early to tell with Nash.) Theoretically, shouldn’t Kidd’s offensive genius translate to coaching?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Halflife wrote:
Juwan
Quinn
Nurse
Kidd

see. You already made it possible, though slight.

Quinn is getting fired. Has to. That whole Utah team needs to be blown up but it will start with him and he should be our next HC.

Nurse is not leaving the situation in Toronto for the Laker mess. Kidd is going nowhere and not even picking up the phone even if it was possible.

It’s going to be Ham/Quinn/Mark. If it’s Mark I’m done.

Have a strong feeling we get Quinn and Utah gets Vogel.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Why do you think it is that mediocre players make good coaches but star players usually fail, other than maybe Kidd? (Too early to tell with Nash.) Theoretically, shouldn’t Kidd’s offensive genius translate to coaching?

Have no idea.
Maybe stars don't have the patience of guys not being as good as them?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
epic_ wrote:

Analogy:
I'm a dead-eye sniper at 3000 yards so I deserve to be a general.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject:

The thing about Ham, while the thinking may be solid, he's going to try and bring some of the same NBA schemes that Milwaukee uses to win titles, and he's a former NBA player, and has some Lakers past (was an assistant). Then you add money, he's gonna be in the same price range as Vogel was in 2019. There's a lot of things there that work for the Lakers. At least it's not like signing a name coach who hasn't done (bleep) in years.

He's been with Buldenhozer a long time. I think from 2013-18 in Atlanta, and again in MIL. I would honestly say at first glance, this is a lot better than hiring someone like Scotty Brooks, Marc Jackson etc

The only disadvantage is that as a rookie head coach, you go into the playoffs, if the Lakers get there, there's a learning curve there. With rookie coaches it can go really well, or it can go sometimes awfully bad.

However I don't really have title expecations, and I also think deep down the Lakers FO has probably come to the realization that it's just going to be competitive in the remainder of the Lebron/AD era. Adding some of the schemes from Milwaukee's offense will help this team. If they buy in. But obvious we need to rid ourselves of Westbrook, as he's not going to play like Jrue any day of the week.

Lets see how it plays out, so far, having thought about it, I think this is a solid interview selection and I would be a lot happier with an inspired risky choice than this than going with MJ/Brooks etc.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject:

They can hire any HC they want, but nothing changes until they move on from the current roster and James-centric culture.

No coach will get any “buy in “ to change or play the right way from the same players, attitude and culture. And the culture isn’t changing with James, Westbrook, and the roster filled with entitled vets leading the way.

Vogel was the scapegoat. Plain and simple. His days were numbered the moment he started calling out players for lack of defensive effort and intensity after early bad losses.

Not sure any HC could get buy in from this group. Certainly not a rookie HC or popular retread. Lakers are simply hiring a ego manager for a couple years until they can start rebuilding some players interested in competing.

I find it hard to get excited about any HC hiring. Their impact is minimal until we get past the Retirement Tour.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
epic_ wrote:

because kobes, mjs expect the same effort, sacrifices and discipline. Mediocres had to find ways which is what coaching is.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject:

If I’m looking for my first head coaching job the last thing I would want would be a team with a post-prime Lebron chasing Kareem’s scoring record, a disinterested AD and a set in his way Westbrook. Better to start with a young team where the players would actually listen to you.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
If I’m looking for my first head coaching job the last thing I would want would be a team with a post-prime Lebron chasing Kareem’s scoring record, a disinterested AD and a set in his way Westbrook. Better to start with a young team where the players would actually listen to you.

I agree but there are only 32 opportunities so sometimes you say yes and figure it out on the fly. The bar in reality is only needing to fight for play in status. Bron said year wasn’t a failure so I assume 10 seed would be a heroic season.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Nah.

Only 32 jobs available. You grab whatever opportunity you have.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 13 of 16
Jump to: