Rob Pelinka (4/11/22) Press Conference with Recap
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:43 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
The only direction the team had under Jim Buss was tank for lottery picks. No thanks!

We won 2 titles and went to 3 finals and made the playoffs 8 times under Jim Buss. He had a lot more success than Jeanie has.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:45 am    Post subject:

Palin wrote:
Pelinka at hot seat may be problem, remember last time Jim Buss was at hot seat he was about to trade Ingram and other assets for Cousins and thankfully Mitch stopped him. Not sure there is anyone out there to stop Pelinka do sth stupid

Let's not ignore that at that time Jeanie was putting the screws to him and asking why we weren't making the playoffs at the time when the team was rebuilding. Jeanie said herself, she didn't understand why we were tanking.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:
Bill Oram is not having any of it!

Quote:
Rob Pelinka is not owning the fact that the Lakers humiliated Frank Vogel. He is dismissing initial report as unsourced and unsubstantiated. Says Vogel "factually heard about our decision in an in-person meeting this morning."

https://twitter.com/billoram/status/1513595689686618112?s=21

I honestly don't think Rob had anything to do with the report coming out. They should know who, if their circle is tight.

I mean, the whole world knew it was coming. Either way, Pelinka seemed pissed that it leaked early. Woj just lost all contacts within the org. Look to Klutch client Shams all summer for your news.

News is a poor term, propaganda is better. Don’t believe anything that snake says.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Binary, my ass. We didn't even make the friggin' playoffs. That's quite a bit different from a team that made it to a low seed and lost in the 1st or 2nd round.

This season was utter garbage. ¡Basura!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Mitch was overcautious at times. He wasn't able to sell free agents. But he rarely made franchise crippling blunders. Some will mention Mozgov and Deng but was in what would be his final season, with a deadline to make the playoffs looming and after still being unable to get anyone to take their cap space. That was a desperation move put in place by the deadline which Jeanie was very publicly telling everyone she would hold them to.

Not to mention two years in a row there were hit pieces on the Lakers just before free agency which seemed likely to have come from Jeanie.

Mitch's worst moves were the Kwame trade which was a calculated gamble that failed miserably... And the Steve Nash trade which would never happened if Stern hadn't nixed the Chris Paul trade. In both of those cases those were calculated risks. They gambled on a chance to extend the Kobe era with Nash and unfortunately for them he had a career ending injury at the very beginning of the contract. In the case of Kwame it was a move that newly rehired Phil Jackson had pushed for.

It's hard to imagine Mitch trading for Westbrook without a gun being held to his head. He typically won trades. Though in fairness he likely would have also balked at the asking price in the AD trade, as well. One thing Mitch certainly wouldn't have done though was have the type of turnover we've seen here the past few years with a band of mercenaries.

Yes, Buss family politics were a problem. A lot of people were in denial about it back then because they hated Jim so much. That’s all water under the bridge at this point.

I will quibble with you about the Kwame trade, though. The root problem was the 2007/2008 plans. We weren’t going to re-sign Butler because we wanted to be able to clear cap space. I fault Mitch for the free agency plans, not the Kwame trade in isolation. But he bailed us out with the Gasol trade, for which Kwame’s contract was essential.

This is relevant because we’re still pursuing free agency plans. Maybe Pelinka will work some magic, but I’m not holding my breath. We haven’t learned our lesson. If anything, the Lebron signing may have taught the wrong lesson.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:
Rob Pelinka is not owning the fact that the Lakers humiliated Frank Vogel. He is dismissing initial report as unsourced and unsubstantiated. Says Vogel "factually heard about our decision in an in-person meeting this morning."

I honestly don't think Rob had anything to do with the report coming out. They should know who, if their circle is tight.

I mean, the whole world knew it was coming. Either way, Pelinka seemed pissed that it leaked early. Woj just lost all contacts within the org. Look to Klutch client Shams all summer for your news.

News is a poor term, propaganda is better. Don’t believe anything that snake says.

What makes you feel Rob is a snake? Because Magic said it?
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:

Interesting question.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject:

A lame duck GM and star hunting ownership "brain"trust is a recipe for disaster. Pelinka has the temptation of setting us back another "not 2, not 3 not 4..." years by mortgaging more future picks. I'm serious when I say there could be a Pelinka rule (like they did for Stepien). This will be named after him and stop teams from trading their draft picks more than 6 years out.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

This is relevant because we’re still pursuing free agency plans. Maybe Pelinka will work some magic, but I’m not holding my breath. We haven’t learned our lesson. If anything, the Lebron signing may have taught the wrong lesson.

My hunch is things won't change as long as the Buss Family owns the team. They will cling to the idea that superstars will always want to come to the Lakers, and winning rings are a god-given right. The franchise embraces magical thinking, based on Laker exceptionalism, so Jeanie is always susceptible to smooth talkers who tell her what she wants to hear.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:

People within the organization told Magic.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

My hunch is things won't change as long as the Buss Family owns the team. They will cling to the idea that superstars will always want to come to the Lakers, and winning rings are a god-given right. The franchise embraces magical thinking, based on Laker exceptionalism, so Jeanie is always susceptible to smooth talkers who tell her what she wants to hear.

They got bron, ad wanted to come here and regardless of what you think of Russ he wanted to come here.

The rumor was Kawai didn’t come because of bron. So …
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:35 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:

People within the organization told Magic.

lol. When magic quit on air the rumors internally were that magic didn’t like to work. Muddy waters.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2019 wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Quote:

Interesting question.

Being a snake and knowing who he knew would insinuate he’s of the mamba tribe. But that ain’t it. The only association he has to snakes is the BS he feeds you…manna? Nah, more like the apple from Eden. Get it? In-Sin-U-Ate. So imho it’s the wrong question is. A more appropriate question is if he’s snake charmer. Worked on Kob…and it’s working on the queen of dragons (what do guys want from me…it’s a snake with wings haha).

Also Magic brought up backstabbing and snakes don’t have arms, just some have wings, remember? And frankly dude snitched on himself for his fascination with knives and making things a clown show…but we’ll get to that Heath Ledger Joker stuff in a bit. The thing is, what happened to Earv isn’t an isolated event.

A lot of others have weighed in and it’s what they said that really tipped the scales in public opinion about dude. Let’s keep it a buck, better yet let’s keep it 1000, most folks ain’t a fan(G) of him.

And here we go….

The story telling…oh the story telling…like the one about Kob meeting Heath Ledger…what the F was that all about?

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2019/5/29/18643940/rob-pelinka-lakers-heath-ledger-kobe-bryant-liar-gmib

But let’s get into how he charmed his way into the Black Mamba’s camp in the first place. Dude poached him off Arn Tellem & then poached others off Tellem’s SFX agency and brought em over to his Landmark agency.

He’s had history with Bron way before the Laker days. He repped Boozer and was going to team him up with Bron on the Cavs. But suddenly they weren’t too Jazz’d about the team up. And the rest was hisStory.

And when he became the GM, a lot of his scorned victims came out the woodwork telling their stories about him. One fella in particular got his Prickhard thinking of the ways he could put Rob over a barrel and probe that ass to the tune of 500k.

https://www.si.com/nba/2017/08/31/los-angeles-lakers-fined-tampering-paul-george-magic-johnson-rob-pelinka

https://lakeshowlife.com/2022/03/02/nba-execs-ugly-truth-lakers-rob-pelinka/

Which brings us to present day when he lied about how standing pat at the trade deadline was a joint Decision of his & Klutch and they stood together on it.

https://fansided.com/2022/02/11/rob-pelinka-lied-lebron-james-trade-consultation/

I could go on and on, but all these stories is getting me ready to get to bed. Nite Knight…
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
A lame duck GM and star hunting ownership "brain"trust is a recipe for disaster. Pelinka has the temptation of setting us back another "not 2, not 3 not 4..." years by mortgaging more future picks. I'm serious when I say there could be a Pelinka rule (like they did for Stepien). This will be named after him and stop teams from trading their draft picks more than 6 years out.

I was thinking the same.
socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:
It shows Lakers don't rest on their laurels even though they won a ring just 18 months ago. They want to win every season which is a testament to Rob and Jeanie.

They don't have a great track record
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
He’s had history with Bron way before the Laker days. He repped Boozer and was going to team him up with Bron on the Cavs. But suddenly they weren’t too Jazz’d about the team up. And the rest was hisStory.

*screeeeeeeeech* Hang on. You're saying that Pelinka was Boozer's agent when he shafted the Cavs back in the day? I didn't know that.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject:

🐍
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:08 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

*screeeeeeeeech* Hang on. You're saying that Pelinka was Boozer's agent when he shafted the Cavs back in the day? I didn't know that.

Holy nefarious dealings Batman! I forgot about this too!
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:14 am    Post subject:

Gather ‘round children and let me tell you a tale, about how Booz’n on the job sets you up to fail.

Quote:
SFX agent Rob Pelinka informed the NBA Players' Association on Monday that he had resigned as Carlos Boozer's agent, two league sources told ESPN Insider Chad Ford.

Pelinka's client caused a storm of controversy around the league last week when Boozer agreed to a six-year, $68 million contract with the Utah Jazz.

Jazz GM Kevin O'Connor confirmed to Ford on Monday that he was aware that Pelinka had resigned as Boozer's agent. However, he declined to make a statement concerning the resignation.

According to O'Connor, the Jazz still expect Boozer to sign the six-year offer sheet on Wednesday.

Making a last-ditch effort to retain Boozer, the Cavaliers have offered him a one-year contract worth about $5 million, The Associated Press reported Monday.

If Boozer accepts the Cavs' new offer, which was confirmed to
the AP by a source close to the negotiations who spoke on condition
of anonymity, he would put himself in position to be eligible next
summer for an even larger contract than the ones Utah and Cleveland
have offered.

According to sources in Cleveland, Boozer and Pelinka approached the Cavs about letting him out of the last year of his contract June 30. Boozer could have been Cleveland's next season for $695,000, but the Cavaliers did not pick up their option after, the club said, Boozer had committed to re-signing for the team's full midlevel exception -- somewhere around six years and $40 million.

Since that time, the criticism of Boozer and Pelinka has intensified around the league. Boozer and Pelinka haven't returned calls to any media outlet seeking comment.

In the wake of the controversy, a number of agents have claimed that they would resign if their client reneged on a verbal commitment.

"I'd resign immediately if a client wanted to renege on a deal, even a verbal one," one agent told Ford last week. "I still believe integrity in this business matters. If you agree on a deal, you have to live with, no matter what else happens. I personally believe that Boozer and his agent miscalculated a bit here. But I also understand what they did. Players want security. The Cavs can offer that. It just means he has to take less money to get it now. It's a tradeoff."

According to sources, SFX and Pelinka grew increasingly concerned in the aftermath of the agreement that Boozer's betrayal would sully the reputation of the agency and prevent them from conducting good faith negotiations with league owners in the future.

Neither Pelinka nor his boss, Arn Tellem, returned calls Monday from The Associated Press seeking comment on the decision to part ways with Boozer.

https://www.espn.com/nba/news/story?id=1838569

zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:17 am    Post subject:

It’s hard to make good trades, when people don’t like dealing with you. However if you’re willing to throw in a 1st, we can talk.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject:

that's the thing, if Rob has established himself as a complete dick amongst other GM's (reneging on that hield trade didn't help matters), then what's the point of having him?

at least mitch was nice and well respected.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:34 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
troy wrote:
Has there ever been an NBA coach that has been with a team 3 seasons; won a title in his first year, made the playoffs in his second, and was fired by the third?

Honestly. Has there?

Paul Westhead.

SPOILER ALERT PLEASE
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:12 pm    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
that's the thing, if Rob has established himself as a complete dick amongst other GM's (reneging on that hield trade didn't help matters), then what's the point of having him?

at least mitch was nice and well respected.

Bring back Mitch to do GM and Basketball Ops and give him Magic to do the pitches (which Mitch sucked at).
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
Bol wrote:
troy wrote:
Has there ever been an NBA coach that has been with a team 3 seasons; won a title in his first year, made the playoffs in his second, and was fired by the third?

Honestly. Has there?

Paul Westhead.

SPOILER ALERT PLEASE

Tyrone Lue.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Whoa, niether did I until now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: