Why Not Support A Different Team?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:46 pm    Post subject: Why Not Support A Different Team?

A lot of people seem to dislike everything about the Lakers. For various reasons they don't like LeBron, AD, Russ without a doubt, the Busses, the Rambises, Magic, Pelinka...seemingly everyone involved in one way or another.

Why not switch teams? What's the point of supporting the purple and gold anymore if you hate the whole deal from top to bottom? It's just a uniform and a name at this point. Whatever made you like the team years ago is gone. Why torture yourself?

Just curious.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Not Support A Different Team?

WC13 wrote:
A lot of people seem to dislike everything about the Lakers. For various reasons they don't like LeBron, AD, Russ without a doubt, the Busses, the Rambises, Magic, Pelinka...seemingly everyone involved in one way or another.

Why not switch teams? What's the point of supporting the purple and gold anymore if you hate the whole deal from top to bottom? It's just a uniform and a name at this point. Whatever made you like the team years ago is gone. Why torture yourself?

Just curious.

Everyone is free to leave anytime. Some fans are player fans, ring chasers and others are Laker lifers; simple as that.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Not Support A Different Team?

deal wrote:
WC13 wrote:

Just curious.

Everyone is free to leave anytime. Some fans are player fans, ring chasers and others are Laker lifers; simple as that.

As a Laker lifer, I just don't get the constant negativity regarding everything. It seems miserable to me. I pop in on this forum, and if it weren't for the purple and gold colors, and the word 'Lakers" up there, I'd think it was some other team's forum, with nothing but hate.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Not Support A Different Team?

WC13 wrote:
As a Laker lifer, I just don't get the constant negativity regarding everything. It seems miserable to me. I pop in on this forum, and if it weren't for the purple and gold colors, and the word 'Lakers" up there, I'd think it was some other team's forum, with nothing but hate.

There has been negativity in this forum for the entire two plus decades I've been posting. That is just the nature of sports fandom in general and internet forums in particular. Find me an internet space that doesn't devolve into negativity? Find me a fan base for any sport that doesn't piss and moan incessantly about everything when their team is doing poorly. And I would argue the more that a fan base pisses and moans the more likely they are to stick with their team through good and bad times. It's kind of like a marriage (though I wouldn't want to be in this dysfunctional of a marriage, mind you)--you may fight but you stick together through it all. That's why we're here, comrades in misery and celebration.

And if you're born and grew up in L.A., especially those of us who lived through Showtime, live through Shaq and Kobe...we're lifers. We're not going to go root for some other team. Many of us aren't even in L.A. anymore, but we're not going to adopt whatever team is in whatever city we find ourselves in. And we're not going to go root for the Clippers (well, maybe a few of us will, but there are always traitors...).

So my recommendation is rather than question others fanhood, avoid this place for....probably the next few miserable years. It's going to be nothing but pissing and moaning all summer, followed by a glimmer of hope at whatever past-their-expiration-date veterans that Rob manages to sign this time, and whatever "AD is looking fitter than ever" nonsense is coming out of training camp, followed by more disappointment the moment AD goes down again with a stubbed toe, Lebron load manages, and Russ chases stats, but not opposing players on defense.

If people didn't care, they wouldn't be so upset. And everyone being upset might hopefully have the side effect of the Buss family realizing they had their run and it is time to entrust the team to a new ownership. And then we'll all be at least hopeful again. In the meantime, accept that we're going to be vocal in our collective misery.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:30 pm    Post subject:

We call you guys bandwagon fans.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Not Support A Different Team?

WC13 wrote:

Just curious.

It's social media. Some people come here to vent. Some people come here to troll and irritate others. Some people come here because they want to blab opinions 24/7 and they seek an audience to react to.

And, of course, there are long-time Laker fans who simply don't like the current version of the team and the people who run it. That group wants to boot out the whole deal top to bottom and get a whole new deal
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Not Support A Different Team?

WC13 wrote:

Just curious.

If your wife had cancer, why not just leave her for another woman? If you dont like the cancer, whats the point of staying with her?

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
We call you guys bandwagon fans.

Who me?

I've been following the Lakers since the days of Elgin Baylor.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject:

You do you and let others be themselves. The moderators will sort things out, don't fret.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Not Support A Different Team?

GOODRICH25 wrote:
WC13 wrote:

Just curious.

If your wife had cancer, why not just leave her for another woman? If you dont like the cancer, whats the point of staying with her?

Yeah, just berate the sh*t out of her 24/7.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Not Support A Different Team?

activeverb wrote:

And, of course, there are long-time Laker fans who simply don't like the current version of the team and the people who run it. That group wants to boot out the whole deal top to bottom and get a whole new deal

Right. That's what I find sort of funny.

It'd essentially be a different team.

If only the Bucks or the Warriors or whoever would wear the purple and gold, then everything would be great.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject:

What makes the USA Great... Freedom to voice your opinion and to disagree

There are some very intelligent fans here who truthfully know more about contract and finances than our front office. Just like WallStreetBets and SuperStonk etc

Read the "complaints" and much of it is constructive
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject:

oh and #GOTPUPS
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
oh and #GOTPUPS

Who got what pups?
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Like last year, I'm indifferent once the Lakers are out of it.

I take sides against who I don't want to win: namely the Celtics, Clippers, and more or less on principle, any team on the East Coast.

I'm a little happier if an underdog, a team that hasn't won a ring gets its first ring (or first in forever ring like the Bucks last year).

But its the Lakers and nothing for me. Fan since 1974.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:20 pm    Post subject:

I’m more of a fan than you
No I am
No me.

Lol
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Not Support A Different Team?

WC13 wrote:
activeverb wrote:

Right. That's what I find sort of funny.

It'd essentially be a different team.

If only the Bucks or the Warriors or whoever would wear the purple and gold, then everything would be great.

Well, you can be a fan of a team, without liking the players/coach who the team is employing at the moment.

And if you don't like the players/coach, you advocate for other people to fill those jerseys,

I don't find that funny or strange myself. Seems pretty common.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:02 pm    Post subject:

I've been a Laker fan for 40 years. I bleed purple and gold. The last 3 years, I've absolutely disliked this franchise like never before from top to bottom. So many of us called this when Jeanie took over. It's going to get worse from here on out unless major changes are made. This ownership and management has made me so disinterested in the one franchise I really loved. Shame.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Lakers when they were tanking with young players were more enjoyable than the last two years. This year was the least enjoyable
I’ve ever witnessed. Fan since 89
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
oh and #GOTPUPS

Who got what pups?

Timberwolves
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Not Support A Different Team?

WC13 wrote:

Just curious.

It's not that I "dislike" all the folks you listed, and that is probably true for many posters. In the end, a buddy of mine in the late 90s said it best "man, when you talk Lakers basketball, you just light up and get so enthusiastic, you're totally passionate about it."

Whether good years, bad years, that's my team. It's a twisted, sick love in some ways. Cannot get the same feel for any other team. When they win, the elation is fantastic. When they lose, I am bummed.

I'm a Rams fan. I'm an Angels fan. Neither of those clubs bring me the same feeling.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:56 am    Post subject:

I have been a Laker fan since West, Goodrich, Chamberlain. Countless hours of enjoyment and some frustrations over the decades. Multiple players or coaches that I have liked and disliked over that time.

I will be a Laker fan long after this current underachieving self absorbed group of knuckleheads leaves my team.

I disliked many of the players and the strategy being presented before the season. The results of this crappy season were even worse then I expected. More then anyone expected in fact. Arguably the least entertaining and most frustrating seasons I have ever seen as a Laker fan.

And I agree the comments are negative and nasty. Well deserved after the failure of a season and how the players and FO have conducted themselves. It will take some time to process and for them to gain my trust and optimism once again.

I plan on being here next season. I am committed to the Lakers. I will continue to give respect and compliments when earned, same with criticisms and scorn.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:58 am    Post subject:

Laker for life
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
Laker for life

This. There is no “other” team for me, I’ve always been a Laker fan and no matter how bad it gets, I’m not going anywhere. Same with the Dodgers, never wavered once through those 32 years waiting for a title.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject:

I guess we're due for the periodic wave of posts from sanctimonious people who want to criticize other fans for not being pure enough. Some of them are overt (the "true fan" posts). Some of them are more subtle. It's not a big deal.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: