Chick Hearn's portrayal on Winning time
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kermitwashington
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Chick Hearn's portrayal on Winning time

This has me F**ked up! Seriously. Nobody is upset over this? Yes, I know it's a TV show, but I need answers.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Chick Hearn's portrayal on Winning time

kermitwashington wrote:
This has me F**ked up! Seriously. Nobody is upset over this? Yes, I know it's a TV show, but I need answers.

I can't imagine what they did. I want to read a description.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject:

The Chick portrayal is way more vexing than the West one to me. West at least seems greatly exaggerated to show an interior rage. There’s no reason for Chick to treat a former Laker with such disdain. It exists purely to make Riley feel marginalized and give him more “arc“
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Chick Hearn's portrayal on Winning time

kermitwashington wrote:

Easy answer? Don’t watch.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject:

I don't see what the problem is. Unless anyone knows exactly how Chick was back then I don't think it's unrealistic to think the king of commentary was telling some dude begging to be an announcer this is how things work, get with the program or get out.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
I don't see what the problem is. Unless anyone knows exactly how Chick was back then I don't think it's unrealistic to think the king of commentary was telling some dude begging to be an announcer this is how things work, get with the program or get out.

Chick Hearn fired Al Michaels . . . AL MICHAELS! . . . from the Lakers announcing team.

Many highly successful people have personality or character deficits - as do many unsuccessful people!
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject:

Eh, Winning Time is a piece of creative fiction. It never advertised itself as a documentary.
2nd, even if Chick Hearn fired Al Michaels they probably weren't working out as a team anyways. Looking at how both of their careers ended up, they were both successful broadcasters who didn't need each other.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:

Yep, Chick was already well established and Al Michaels was the new guy with no experience. So it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that Al was ill suited for the job at the time.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject:

What’s exactly the problem? Do you know who Chick Hearn was as a person behind closed doors?
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject:

I honestly couldn't care less of how they portray the characters. It's fiction based on true events. Everyone on the show is pretty "bad/unethical/immoral". Jeanie is probably the most "innocent" portrayal so far.

The thing that I'm actually interested is how Dr. Buss built the showtime Lakers.

That said, Jason Segal's portrayal of Westhead is probably the worst in the show so far.
HeatCandela
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject:

What’s with the “uwu” Jeannie?
kermitwashington
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject:

I'm not talking about any of that stuff. He did what he did with Al, Pat and Stu so they could learn to be good broadcasters. Shoot, he would do some curt/harsh things on the air to them. (see here I am giving him the benefit of the doubt again)

I'm talking about him being a racist, homophobic, sexist a-hole.

It makes sense for the time (he was friggin born in 1916!!!) and for a privileged white male (or any male born then). For some reason it still makes me sad. Maybe because I am black and grew up LOVING this man. He brought so much joy into my life. But, obviously I did not know him and all these things can be true. He can be all those things and still bring fun and joy into folks lives.

I guess I'm processing it. I understand it's a TV show, but it hurts and makes me think. His family and the lakers are not coming out to dispute it.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject:

kermitwashington wrote:
I'm not talking about any of that stuff. He did what he did with Al, Pat and Stu so they could learn to be good broadcasters. Shoot, he would do some curt/harsh things on the air to them. (see here I am giving him the benefit of the doubt again)

It makes sense for the time (he was friggin born in 1916!!!) and for a privileged white male (or any male born then). For some reason it still makes me sad. Maybe because I am black and grew up LOVING this man. He brought so much joy into my life. But, obviously I did not know him and all these things can be true. He can be all those things and still bring fun and joy into folks lives.

I guess I'm processing it. I understand it's a TV show, but it hurts and makes me think. His family and the lakers are not coming out to dispute it.

Isn't most of Chick's family dead at this point? Unless I missed something. They put the disclaimer of fictional before each episode for a reason.

The truth is probably in the middle I mean Chick was probably a man of his time he could've evolved by the time the Kobe era came along.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject:

the opening scene at the mansion tho
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
kermitwashington wrote:

Isn't most of Chick's family dead at this point? Unless I missed something. They put the disclaimer of fictional before each episode for a reason.

The truth is probably in the middle I mean Chick was probably a man of his time he could've evolved by the time the Kobe era came along.

Chick was an iconic announcer. I have no idea how he was as a person.

I'm at a point in my life where I've learned that a number of my icons were not good people.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
kermitwashington wrote:

Chick was an iconic announcer. I have no idea how he was as a person.

I'm at a point in my life where I've learned that a number of my icons were not good people.

Never meet your heroes
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject:

Of course none of us know who a person is in their most intimate thoughts. But you can see how a person impacts those around them. If you want evidence of how Chick impacted those around him, just google Chick Hearn funeral and watch the testimonials of those who knew him best.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject:

The show is absolutely ridiculous...like a sketch on SNL or something. I don't believe a single word of it, and all the portrayals are absurd and/or insulting. Just a bunch of b*llsh*t.

However, I'm enjoying it. Skits can be entertaining.

I don't know if anyone who is being portrayed, or know people portrayed, has come out and said anything though, which is kind of surprising.

Gary Vitti apparently left the show because of the portrayal of Jerry West, but that's all I'm aware of.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Here's what Kareem thinks:

“I watched half the first episode and it’s ridiculous," he said. "I don’t want to talk about it.”

“While I respect other artists' rights to choose their subjects, I think the story of the Showtime Lakers is best told by those who actually lived through it because we know exactly what happened.”
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Here's an article about the firing of Al Michaels.

https://www.sportscasting.com/al-michaels-first-job-in-sports-was-with-the-la-lakers-who-fired-him-after-just-four-games/

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2004-jun-04-sp-tvcolumn4-story.html

At first, he placed some of the blame on Hearn. But he later realized it was all Cooke’s doing.

“It was a shattering experience. I had told all my friends that I’d be working with Chick, and then I wasn’t. It’s the only time in my life I was fired from a job.

“I was a sacrificial lamb. Cooke wanted to bring in Hot Rod Hundley to work with Chick, and he needed a buffer so Chick would get used to the idea. And that was me.”
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

kermitwashington wrote:

The mustard is off the hot dog.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:03 pm    Post subject:

WC13 wrote:
The show is absolutely ridiculous...like a sketch on SNL or something. I don't believe a single word of it, and all the portrayals are absurd and/or insulting. Just a bunch of b*llsh*t.

I don't know if anyone who is being portrayed, or know people portrayed, has come out and said anything though, which is kind of surprising.

Gary Vitti apparently left the show because of the portrayal of Jerry West, but that's all I'm aware of.

Magic has been rather vocal being against it as has Jeanie.

There's a reason why Magic is releasing a documentary about his own life the same time this is on... he doesn't want his sexcapades dredged up again. (although its probably the most realistic part of the show).
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject:

WC13 wrote:

What makes it fun is there are behaviors that were based in truth that were exaggerated for comedic and entertainment value. I've enjoyed it too.
kermitwashington
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The mustard is off the hot dog.

It sure is. LOL

Kareem's thoughts
https://kareem.substack.com/p/winning-time-isnt-just-deliberately?s=r

I know Kareem won't like it. They have him as "Mr Black and Conscious" with a white wife/gf. Now THAT I believe is true. lol
Coppertop
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject:

kermitwashington wrote:

I think the black men who worked with/for, travelled with, and played on the team when Chick was around would be the experts on his character.

Even when there is no reason to need to discuss Chick, you never hear anything but wonderful tributes from all the Showtime guys, and especially from Stu Lantz. I wouldn't even give two seconds of thought to whether or not this show is depicting a "real" version of Chick.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: