Chick Hearn's portrayal on Winning time
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject:

It isn't a documentary.

You think Chick and Jerry are getting brutalized, how about Westhead?

I find it entertaining and I think the actors playing Magic, Kareem, Spencer Haywood, Norm Nixon (his son!), etc. are doing a very good job.

Also love John C. Reilly as Dr. Jerry Buss.

That said, Jerry West apparently isn't enthusiastic at his portrayal and who could blame him? But they don't bill it as a documentary.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33769604/jerry-west-demands-retraction-apology-portrayal-hbo-series-winning
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Bruh, everyone in the show is made out to be an (bleep) except Jeannie buss 🤣😂💀. All the men are (bleep), womanizers, alcoholics. Jerry buss can’t do (bleep) without his mom, daughter, and ex wife. None of the buss brothers are anywhere to be found. They even have a scene where magic is checking out Jeanie in short shorts 💀. I have a feeling I know who’s perspective this story is being told from 😏. Feels Like revisionist history.

It’s entertaining though.

Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:45 am    Post subject:

Coppertop wrote:
kermitwashington wrote:
I'm not talking about any of that stuff. He did what he did with Al, Pat and Stu so they could learn to be good broadcasters. Shoot, he would do some curt/harsh things on the air to them. (see here I am giving him the benefit of the doubt again)

I'm talking about him being a racist, homophobic, sexist a-hole.

It makes sense for the time (he was friggin born in 1916!!!) and for a privileged white male (or any male born then). For some reason it still makes me sad. Maybe because I am black and grew up LOVING this man. He brought so much joy into my life. But, obviously I did not know him and all these things can be true. He can be all those things and still bring fun and joy into folks lives.

I guess I'm processing it. I understand it's a TV show, but it hurts and makes me think. His family and the lakers are not coming out to dispute it.

I think the black men who worked with/for, travelled with, and played on the team when Chick was around would be the experts on his character.

Even when there is no reason to need to discuss Chick, you never hear anything but wonderful tributes from all the Showtime guys, and especially from Stu Lantz. I wouldn't even give two seconds of thought to whether or not this show is depicting a "real" version of Chick.

Yeah. It was no secret Chick could be irritable at times. And he certainly had a sizable ego. But he definitely wasn't racist.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:25 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

That said, Jerry West apparently isn't enthusiastic at his portrayal and who could blame him? But they don't bill it as a documentary.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/33769604/jerry-west-demands-retraction-apology-portrayal-hbo-series-winning

Plot twist: Jerry West never broke his golf clubs or threw his trophy through a window until he saw his portrayal on the TV show.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:26 am    Post subject:

Leave the show producers alone. It's entertainment.
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:

Poor producers...

yeah, leave them alone, they are very sensitive people!
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:13 am    Post subject:

WC13 wrote:
ducasse wrote:

Poor producers...

When I say leave them alone I'm referring to the implied threats of legal action and claims that Jerry West is owed compensation for damages due to his portrayal on the show. That's insane. What's next, to make SNL pay damages to everyone who they didn't factually portray?
WC13
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject:

ducasse wrote:
WC13 wrote:
ducasse wrote:

Poor producers...

When I say leave them alone I'm referring to the implied threats of legal action and claims that Jerry West is owed compensation for damages due to his portrayal on the show. That's insane. What's next, to make SNL pay damages to everyone who they didn't factually portray?

Does Jerry want money? Or just retractions and an apology?

I agree that the show is nothing more than an SNL skit.

But maybe they need to make that crystal clear in their disclaimer.

"this show is nothing more than a stupid skit. It's not really based on reality or the Pearlman book. It's just a bunch of of bullsh*t. Do not take any of it seriously."
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject:

I think the issue here is(other than these guys wanting to control the narrative) is that this isn't a skit its an actual show based on how the Showtime Lakers came to be. I think its one thing to play something up for dramatic effect but if you say someone is an alcoholic, has anger issues etc and its objectively not true I see that as a major issue (even though the show has a disclaimer at the end of every episode).

Fortunately I'm not famous enough to object to how I would be portrayed but I can see their side of things. Especially when people are coming up to you asking if this is true and some actually believe this about them and it may not be.

It will get worse once they get to the Kobe years...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: