Elon Musk bought Twitter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
If he allows Trump to come back I will deactivate my account.

I don't have a Twitter account, but I'd be willing to open one and close it . . . in the spirit of your post.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
adkindo wrote:
jodeke wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
That is a lot of money!

He can afford but geez....

I don't think he just threw something upside the wall to see what sticks. I think he has a plan. I'm at wit's ends trying to figure out what it is. I have a feeling it's political.

I think he will diminish the one sided moderation that has taken place for years, but I think that is just smoke and mirrors. He did not buy the company to lose money, and I am confident that he will incorporate revenue generating engines that are not really being discussed right now. I am not sure if it will work, but I do not think he bought Twitter for the sole purpose of pushing back against the fringe lefts efforts to silence others. It is no secret that the market has viewed Twitter as underperforming because of a dysfunctional BOD and poor management for years.

Lots to unpack here. First of all, the myth of one sided moderation. There are plenty of full blown right wingers posting on Twitter without any interference. The only people who have been sanctioned have been those who have blatantly spread false information or vicious hate speech.

He didn't buy Twitter as a financial holding, and can totally afford to see it lose money. He's been very clear about what he plans to do. He tries to pretty it up by saying it's about "free speech", but it is clear what he means. He wants to reopen it as a no holds barred forum for his right wing friends and white supremacists.

As for " the fringe lefts efforts to silence others". There is no such effort other than to prevent hate speech, dangerous conspiracy nonsense and outright lies such as the election being stolen. The silencing of others for purely partisan reasons is the realm of the right—"Don't say 'gay'", banning math books over nonsensical "CRT" concerns, etc. You are right about one thing. He does plan to push back against the left, but not in the altruistic sense you claim. He's going to shut down liberal causes like labor organization efforts and the like.

Anyone who says the Musk is simply trying to level the playing field in a fair fashion and correct some poor management is clearly full of it, or completely foolish. There is nothing honorable about the man, and he's not going to start being so with Twitter.

One would have to be delusional or not speaking in good faith to pretend that moderation on Twitter is fair or balanced.

As I said above, the myth of one-sided moderation on Twitter is just that. There is plenty of far right wing propaganda going on there unfettered. Ther fact that a few high profile individuals got shutdown for repeatedly make provably false statement doesn't mean that it is unbalanced.

Quote:
Twitter has did little to prevent lies and conspiracies in recent years such as the Russian Collusion Conspiracy, Hunter Biden's laptop being Russian disinformation and allowing a Parental Rights Bill to be misleadingly referred to as the "don't say gay" bill. Twitter has not even tried to slow or inhibit the repulsive low intelligence bs spewed from the left. It is why what is considered popular thought on Twitter is usually about 180 degrees from the actual perception of the public.

Well, first of all, al kinds of nonsense continues to be bandied about Hunter's laptop by the right wing on Twitter, so it's pretty comical that you even want to go there—it's a perfect example of rightwing falsities having a home on Twitter. Secondly, there's no lie to the Russian Collusion situation. And lastly, despite what DeSantis wants to brand the anti-LGBTQ legislation, it is referred to as the "Don't Say Gay Bill" for a good reason:

a Florida committee advanced a bill that would restrict discussions of sexual orientation and gender identity in schools.

The bill would ban discussing these issues in primary schools and restrict how they are discussed in other grades if they are deemed “not age-appropriate.” However, it does not specify what would be considered age-appropriate, or who decides. Any parent could sue their child’s school for compensation for alleged harm if they believe those discussions have occurred. The likely outcome of the bill would be to deter teachers from addressing these issues and to chill open discussions and support for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) students.

The bill would also require school personnel to notify parents of changes in a student’s physical, mental, or emotional health. It would significantly limit the ability of counselors and teachers to be a confidential resource for students, including LGBT students who may not feel safe or comfortable asking questions about sexual orientation or gender identity to family members.

Human Rights Watch has documented how curricular restrictions harm LGBT youth in US schools. These restrictions not only prevent students from accessing information that’s essential to their health and well-being, but send a discriminatory message that being LGBT is inappropriate or wrong. That message not only stigmatizes LGBT children but can tacitly encourage intolerance and bullying from peers from a young age.

Quote:
Finally, I did not say he was trying to level the playing field....I specifically stated that I thought that was more smoke and mirrors. The man has a plan to make money on his investment....even if we cannot currently identify exactly how he plans on moving forward. I would not be surprised if he moves Twitter to Austin or Miami within a couple years.....and eventually takes it public again.

I'm sure Musk would like to make money off the investment, but that is clearly not the main motivation for that investment, as he himself has stated—the driving motive is to reopen the floodgates of unfettered falsities and hate speech masquerading as a desire to "return to free speech".
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject:

One instance of Musk complaining of censorship on Twitter had to do with a Hunter Biden laptop story iirc. A Twitter employee responded that they have a blanket policy about showing hacked material, and that’s why it got censored. Had nothing to do with political targeting.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Musk could back out.

https://twitter.com/Ian_Fraser/status/1519427222926462995
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Looks like Musk could back out.

https://twitter.com/Ian_Fraser/status/1519427222926462995

It's almost like he didn't think this one through well . . . or at all.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject:

MSNBC

(‘All This Boils Down To Is Power’: Sen. Warren On Elon Musk’s Twitter Buyout)

Quote:
Senator Elizabeth Warren joins MSNBC’s Ari Melber to discuss the regulation of big tech after billionaire Elon Musk bought out Twitter. Warren opens up about what Congress can do to better regulate big tech, what Musk’s purchase of Twitter means for democracy, and the need for more competition in the sector. Warren also shares her thoughts on the GOP backing Musk’s buyout of the social media platform.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject:

it is funny that it was seemingly mostly the left lost their bleep on the possibility.
i get why trumtard would be banned while in office but he is a citizen now. Seems perfectly fine for him to be reinstated. Its easy to block him .
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:21 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
it is funny that it was seemingly mostly the left lost their bleep on the possibility.
i get why trumtard would be banned while in office but he is a citizen now. Seems perfectly fine for him to be reinstated. Its easy to block him .

So much you don't know and don't want to know, but the purpose of the platform blocking is to deny the spread of dangerous information that doesn't really get handled by individual blocking.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Halflife wrote:

So much you don't know and don't want to know, but the purpose of the platform blocking is to deny the spread of dangerous information that doesn't really get handled by individual blocking.

Public officials who lie should be banned. Civilians regardless of reach shouldn't.

yes calling people to grab their guns, depending of context should be banned, but just because someone is hurtful and outlandish shouldn't be banned.

Maybe if Musk does take over twitter will lose some of its power.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject:

As a former president and as the GOP front-runner for 2024, Trump cannot be put in the same category as any "civilian." He is still perpetrating the Big Lie. He is still whipping up his base with anger, lies and disinformation. Twitter is private platform that is not obliged to give him a platform to spread his dangerous lies and disinformation. He has already contributed to an insurrection and thousands of unnecessary deaths due to the spread of COVID disinformation. He has outsized influence because of who he is and how he manipulates media access. Giving him his Twitter account back would literally end up killing people. It did before.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject:

Oh he’s letting Trump back in before the election for sure.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1519735033950470144?s=21

I used to follow Trump just for pure comedy, and I will again. It’s the people who follow Trump to worship his every word who are the real clowns.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

I used to follow Trump just for pure comedy, and I will again. It’s the people who follow Trump to worship his every word who are the real clowns.

I love how that graphics ignores how far the right sprinted away from the center toward fascism.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject:

CNN

(Elon Musk outlines his political views in stick figure cartoon)

Quote:
The stick-figures tweeted out by Elon Musk corresponding to his political leanings set Twitter ablaze. CNN's Michel Smerconish asked his followers to map their own trajectories, and says that those who change over time are "healthy."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

I love how that graphics ignores how far the right sprinted away from the center toward fascism.

But they really believe it, because what feels like pain to them is simple accountability.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Doesn’t seem like this is a lock anymore.

Him denouncing the Democratic Party is funny. I have a hard time believing he was ever one.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
As a former president and as the GOP front-runner for 2024, Trump cannot be put in the same category as any "civilian." He is still perpetrating the Big Lie. He is still whipping up his base with anger, lies and disinformation. Twitter is private platform that is not obliged to give him a platform to spread his dangerous lies and disinformation. He has already contributed to an insurrection and thousands of unnecessary deaths due to the spread of COVID disinformation. He has outsized influence because of who he is and how he manipulates media access. Giving him his Twitter account back would literally end up killing people. It did before.

Worse than Russia. We actually have laws to shut Trump up or actually incarcerate him
Sill free still a security threat to our nation
Kushner still free
Ginny - Meadows his whole administration
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Emily Nussbaum
@emilynussbaum
·
21h
Elon musk should be slang for the scent a person gives off when they’re sketchy/disappointing. “I was excited to meet his brother, but the guy had an unsettling elon musk.”
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Emily Nussbaum
@emilynussbaum
·
21h
Elon musk should be slang for the scent a person gives off when they’re sketchy/disappointing. “I was excited to meet his brother, but the guy had an unsettling elon musk.”

Perfect.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Business Insider: A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.

Why, I'm shocked.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Business Insider: A SpaceX flight attendant said Elon Musk exposed himself and propositioned her for sex, documents show. The company paid $250,000 for her silence.

Why, I'm shocked.

And I'm as shocked as you are.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Guy is really melting down on Twitter
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Guy is really melting down on Twitter

Gotta hand it to him, if you're looking to assemble a hardcore legal team, recruiting random people via Twitter is the way to goi.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:57 pm    Post subject:

He has a great deal in common with Trump. He's a narcissistic, misogynistic, racist, controlling bully whose seeming success it tainted by shady deals, internal dysfunction, lawsuits, NDA's and inappropriate sexual, aggressive and bullying behavior.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
He has a great deal in common with Trump. He's a narcissistic, misogynistic, racist, controlling bully whose seeming success it tainted by shady deals, internal dysfunction, lawsuits, NDA's and inappropriate sexual, aggressive and bullying behavior.

You could have saved yourself some typing and just said "Republican" . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject:

For all he has accomplished with Tesla and Spacex, what a disappointment he has become. The timeline is so obvious what he's trying to do...credit to some random tweeter:

1) Reporter contacts Musk to comment on story regarding allegations against him

2) Musk announces he’s voting Republican and that he now expects to be attacked

3) Story comes out

4) Musk claims it’s a hit piece attacking him for supporting Republicans

He must think we're all morons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13
Jump to: