Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 290, 291, 292  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Gratz Coach Ham!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Going Ham!
Scherm
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject:

He could dunk
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Step one is made. New HC.

Seems like a solid hiring of a young HC. Have not seen anything to dislike about Ham.

Next step is getting the roster worked out, then getting them to play together. He has work to do.
coldzim
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:15 pm    Post subject:

phantasyman wrote:
Might as well give the championship trophy now to the Lakers for next season. Lakers gonna shock the world

ALL champion coaches in the Lakers history managed to win in their first year in charge of the team:

John Kundla - 1947/1948 (NBL title)

Bill Sharman - 1971/1972

Paul Westhead - 1979/1980

Pat Riley - 1981/1982

Phil Jackson - 1999/2000

Frank Vogel - 2019/2020

That's a pretty crazy stat in our great history.

Hopefully Ham can break the curse if we don't win next season.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Quote:
According to sources with knowledge of the process, Ham will be given a large amount of autonomy, including the ability to choose his own coaching staff. He’s expected to meet with current Lakers staff members next week.

Poor Vogel.
Anywho, I hope Handy stays.
Maybe even Mike Pen.

Why Mike Pen?
He obviously didn’t help the shooting on this team.
Get a real shooting coach

Was he the shooting coach? I thought he was a bench coach.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Quote:
According to sources with knowledge of the process, Ham will be given a large amount of autonomy, including the ability to choose his own coaching staff. He’s expected to meet with current Lakers staff members next week.

Poor Vogel.
Anywho, I hope Handy stays.
Maybe even Mike Pen.

I'd be very surprised (and dissappinted) if Handy isn't returning. Fiz seems more iffy but I can see him returning. That's fine I suppose but I hope it's not as Associate HC. I hope Ham brings in an offensive guy to run things. Stotts is ideal but he's seemingly said no (twice) to that and now that he didn't get it, it feels even less likely. MDA would be a dream but I see him in Charlotte.

You know what's funny?
Wasn't Ham an assistant coach on the team when dantoni was coach?
Small world.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject:

coldzim wrote:
phantasyman wrote:
Might as well give the championship trophy now to the Lakers for next season. Lakers gonna shock the world

ALL champion coaches in the Lakers history managed to win in their first year in charge of the team:

John Kundla - 1947/1948 (NBL title)

Bill Sharman - 1971/1972

Paul Westhead - 1979/1980

Pat Riley - 1981/1982

Phil Jackson - 1999/2000

Frank Vogel - 2019/2020

That's a pretty crazy stat in our great history.

Hopefully Ham can break the curse if we don't win next season.

Heh
That would be great.
It's gonna happen!
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Darvin Ham: Remember him still from 1996 as the Nuggets highly athletic non-skilled guy who made me think how someone so athletic could be such a pathetic bball player. Who would have thought that this highly athletic loser on the pathetic god-awful Nuggets would later be our head coach......I remember thinking at the time this rookie shouldnt even last a week in training camp.....meanwhile his teammate was obvious coaching candidate even back then: Mark Jackson
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:28 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
Darvin Ham: Remember him still from 1996 as the Nuggets highly athletic non-skilled guy who made me think how someone so athletic could be such a pathetic bball player. Who would have thought that this highly athletic loser on the pathetic god-awful Nuggets would later be our head coach......I remember thinking at the time this rookie shouldnt even last a week in training camp.....meanwhile his teammate was obvious coaching candidate even back then: Mark Jackson

I just remember him with a sick dunk in the 97 dunk contest. Most underrated dunk imo. 100% OG.

CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:38 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:

Highly athletic player who never amounted to do anything goes on to be player development coach. How odd.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:07 am    Post subject:

Is he any good? Is there any footage of him teaching? Is he a defense first guy?

Are there any more assistants, trainers, analytics or other staff coming?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:16 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Hopefully this is a sign the FO is learning from their massive mistakes of the past.

You would like to think so, but it seems they picked the guy that convinced them he could handle/manage Westbrook. If we're doing big 3 2.0, I don't know what they've truly learned.

Ham BTW does have Laker ties. He was Brown's staff from 11-13. So Jeanie still got that Laker connection. I don't see a big change in their thinking, until I see them do further moves, but for now, of the choices they had selected, for sure he has the most upside.

Grateful it could have ended up a lot worse (Mark Jackson).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject:

I still remember this dude from the Kobe slam dunk contest in 96-97. That dunk he did where he touched the top of the box with his left and pushed off to spin and dunk with his right was incredible. If you would have told me that dude was going to be our coach some 25 years later…..man.

This was a predictable hire. Bron wanted him and the Lakers were not going to screw this up like they screwed up Ty Lou. Maybe they have been humbled a bit. I don’t know anything about Darwin. Everyone just says he’s great cause he is a players coach and a good communicator but is that all it takes? Seems very superficial. We will see.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject:

I don’t see that much of a difference in what Ham will ask from his team than vogel. don’t be surprised if this team is just a continuation of where we left off last season. but maybe there will be a willingness with Ham from Russ and others.
chrisca91
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:23 am    Post subject:

30 win team. the issue is the roster, not coaches.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Hopefully this is a sign the FO is learning from their massive mistakes of the past.

You would like to think so, but it seems they picked the guy that convinced them he could handle/manage Westbrook. If we're doing big 3 2.0, I don't know what they've truly learned.

Ham BTW does have Laker ties. He was Brown's staff from 11-13. So Jeanie still got that Laker connection. I don't see a big change in their thinking, until I see them do further moves, but for now, of the choices they had selected, for sure he has the most upside.

Grateful it could have ended up a lot worse (Mark Jackson).

Eh.. If an ordinary guy on a forum like me knows Westbrook is a bad fit I am sure the FO people know it too. No matter how stupid they are.

Just because they Are asking about Westbrook doesn't mean they are fully committed to bringing him back.

Last edited by Bron2AD on Sat May 28, 2022 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/tim_nba/status/1530568162185469952?s=21&t=IBqZWMLZUAebcEV2VmxyQw
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:51 am    Post subject:

I remember people were excited when we signed Luke Walton too.
Just hope he won't become Luke Walton 2.0.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:59 am    Post subject:

I wonder which of his former Bucks perimeter players we could trade for - assuming he's gonna run Bud's offense?
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject:

lakersfan8 wrote:
I remember people were excited when we signed Luke Walton too.
Just hope he won't become Luke Walton 2.0.

Darvin Ham has paid his dues way more than Luke Walton.

Having said that, no coach will succeed with at least a credible NBA roster.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

Seems like a solid hiring of a young HC. Have not seen anything to dislike about Ham.

Next step is getting the roster worked out, then getting them to play together. He has work to do.

What have you seen to like? We haven’t seen anything as of yet from him as a coach, hopefully what we see will be good.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers have not announced the hire and declined comment.

“So damn excited,” LeBron James tweeted Friday evening. “Congrats and welcome Coach Dham!!”

Ham impressed the Lakers with his ability to communicate and hold people accountable, according to sources, a crucial element in their search to replace Vogel.

“In terms of what this team needs right now, we feel like with, obviously, superstars on our team, we want a strong voice that’s able to inspire the players to play at the highest level of competition every night,” general manager Rob Pelinka said after the team fired Vogel. “And I think that’s going to be one of the resounding qualities that we look for in terms of holding everybody from the top player on our team to the 15th man to a degree of accountability.”

Sources said the Lakers hoped to find a candidate that could receive organization-wide support, something that wasn’t always the case with Vogel despite winning the 2020 championship.

The Lakers, sources said, interviewed former Portland coach Terry Stotts this week and planned on speaking to Golden State assistant Kenny Atkinson, but after meeting with Ham on Thursday, the Lakers decided they’d found their man.

In his almost 10 years as an assistant to Bucks coach Mike Budenholzer, Ham built a reputation for his ability to relate to players with passion, honesty and competitive drive. He’s considered a well-rounded coach that has slightly more defensive expertise.

Ham’s journey to the NBA was unlikely, playing only his senior year of high school basketball. He attended Otero Junior College in La Junta, Colo., for one season before transferring to Texas Tech.

He achieved some national fame in the 1996 NCAA tournament when he shattered the backboard with a dunk against North Carolina. A photo of the slam landed him on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Ham went undrafted but signed with Denver, beginning an NBA career that included stops in Indiana, Washington, Milwaukee, Atlanta and Detroit. In 417 games, he averaged 2.7 points and 2.3 rebounds in 12.4 minutes. Ham also played in Spain and the Philippines.

After working in the developmental league, Ham began his NBA coaching career with the Lakers as a player development coach in 2011, working for Mike Brown.

In 2013, Ham went to Atlanta to work for Budenholzer, beginning a relationship with him that would continue on to Milwaukee.

His path from high school to the NBA as a role player and longtime assistant gives him a wide base of knowledge as he’s carved out a career in professional basketball.

He’ll be the 28th coach in Lakers history and the fifth Black coach. Ham is the second first-time coach the Lakers have hired in their last three searches. The team hired former Laker Luke Walton in 2016 following his successful stint as an assistant and interim coach in Golden State. Walton went 98-148 with the Lakers.

The search to land Ham was largely uneventful, a change from the drama-filled process of replacing Walton in 2019. During that process, one favorite, Monty Williams, elected to take the job coaching the Phoenix Suns. Another, Tyronn Lue, couldn’t agree with the Lakers on key points such as salary, contract length and coaching staff decisions.

Initially, league sources thought the Lakers would chase established coaches like Utah’s Quin Snyder, Toronto’s Nick Nurse and Philadelphia’s Doc Rivers. All three, however, are under contract, and with sparse draft capital, the Lakers lacked the compensation to acquire a coach from another team.

Snyder, sources said, wasn’t interested in a move to the Lakers. While Rivers seemed like a serious option for some Lakers decision makers, 76ers president Daryl Morey said Rivers would remain with the team after they were eliminated from the playoffs by Miami.

Michigan coach Juwan Howard, who interviewed with the Lakers in 2019, also was never a serious option because of his desire to remain with the Wolverines to coach his two sons.

In their search, the team spoke with Ham, Stotts, Atkinson, former NBA coach Mark Jackson, Milwaukee assistant Charles Lee and Toronto assistant Adrian Griffin before tightening the search to Ham, Stotts and Atkinson.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2022-05-27/lakers-hire-darvin-ham-as-coach

hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:

What have you seen to like? We haven’t seen anything as of yet from him as a coach, hopefully what we see will be good.

Agree with Barnacle Bill here. Let’s pump the breaks and see if Rob can find Mitch’s magic trade wand.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Possible Free Agency Targets for the #Lakers:

(Players who spent time with new head coach Darvin Ham in his Hawks/Bucks stints)

• Donte Divicenzo
• Taurean Prince
• Rodney Hood
• Serge Ibaka
• Robin Lopez
• Bryn Forbes
• Jevon Carter
• DeAndre Bembry

https://twitter.com/Lakers_PGN/status/1530553244556009473?t=fXyMu3M1c_kAgvGJYnJYjA&s=19
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 38, 39, 40 ... 290, 291, 292  Next
Page 39 of 292
Jump to: