Naomi Judd dies at 76
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Naomi Judd dies at 76

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/naomi-judd-grammy-winning-duo-judds-dies-76-84419442

Quote:
Naomi Judd, of Grammy-winning duo The Judds, dies at 76
Naomi Judd, the Kentucky-born singer of the Grammy-winning duo The Judds and mother of Wynonna and Ashley Judd, has died

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Naomi Judd, the Kentucky-born singer of the Grammy-winning duo The Judds and mother of Wynonna and Ashley Judd, has died. She was 76.

The daughters announced her death on Saturday in a statement provided to The Associated Press.

“Today we sisters experienced a tragedy. We lost our beautiful mother to the disease of mental illness," the statement said. "We are shattered. We are navigating profound grief and know that as we loved her, she was loved by her public. We are in unknown territory." The statement did not elaborate further.

The Judds were to be inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame on Sunday and they had just announced an arena tour to begin in the fall, their first tour together in over a decade.

The mother-daughter performers scored 14 No. 1 songs in a career that spanned nearly three decades. After rising to the top of country music, they called it quits in 1991 after doctors diagnosed Naomi Judd with hepatitis.

The Judds’ hits included “Love Can Build a Bridge” in 1990,“Mama He’s Crazy” in 1984, “Why Not Me” in 1984,“Turn It Loose” in 1988, “Girls Night Out” in 1985, “Rockin’ With the Rhythm of the Rain” in 1986 and “Grandpa” in 1986.

Originally from Kentucky, Naomi was working as a nurse when she and Wynonna started singing together professionally. Their unique harmonies, together with elements of acoustic music, bluegrass and blues, made them stand out in the genre at the time.

The Judds released six studio albums and an EP between 1984 and 1991 and won nine Country Music Association Awards and seven from the Academy of Country Music. They earned a total of five Grammy Awards together on hits like “Why Not Me” and “Give A Little Love.”

The Judds sang about family, the belief in marriage and the virtue of fidelity. Because Naomi was so young looking, the two were mistaken for sisters early in their career.

Daughter Ashley Judd is an actor known for her roles in such movies as “Kiss the Girls,” ″Double Jeopardy” and “Heat.”

Naomi Judd is also survived by her husband and fellow singer, Larry Strickland, who was a backup singer for Elvis Presley.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject:

RIP Naomi
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject:

She was aware of her malady, and was a mental health advocate. LINK RIP

Never occurred to me that Ashley Judd was her daughter.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like suicide. Too bad. Not a fan of her music but tremendous empathy for her struggles.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Sounds like suicide. Too bad. Not a fan of her music but tremendous empathy for her struggles.

What gave you that inclination?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

The quote from the family.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:49 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I'm not being adversarial, I'm curious. What quote?

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

There were several early media reports of suicide, then the reports were moderated to "we lost our beautiful mother to the disease of mental illness."

https://www.newsnky.com/

Last edited by Dr. Laker on Mon May 02, 2022 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:01 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

This is the Judd sisters's statement:

Today we sisters experienced a tragedy. We lost our beautiful mother to the disease of mental illness.

Mental illness isn't a deadly disease in the literal sense—it doesn't kill people. It's a mental condition that involves debilitating depression, which all too frequently leads people to suicide.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:27 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Today we sisters experienced a tragedy. We lost our beautiful mother to the disease of mental illness.

Mental illness isn't a deadly disease in the literal sense—it doesn't kill people. It's a mental condition that involves debilitating depression, which all too frequently leads people to suicide.

Thanks. Looking at it through that lens I can see the connection. Waiting for the cause of death.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:34 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Thanks. Looking at it through that lens I can see the connection. Waiting for the cause of death.

goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Also, in the link you provided there was a long detailed story of her troubled history including battling her thoughts of suicide.

Quote:
In recent years, Naomi Judd had been candid about her battle with suicidal ideation, panic attacks and the ups and downs of her mental health struggles.

The fight eventually led her to advocate for others, offering words of solace and solidarity to those who also struggled with suicidal thoughts.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Dr. Laker, DaMuleRules and ChefLinda for addressing my curiosity.

This is an article I found concerning mental health problems. It's a sickness not given the attention it sorely needs.

Brings to mind One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.

Ronald Reagan's shameful legacy: Violence, the homeless, mental illness

LINK

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

This is an article I found concerning mental health problems. It's a sickness not given the attention it sorely needs.

LINK

Lost in all of that - prior to Reagan's governorship, The University of California was free for California residents. That's right - no tuition, and a very diverse student body.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
jodeke wrote:

LINK

Lost in all of that - prior to Reagan's governorship, The University of California was free for California residents. That's right - no tuition, and a very diverse student body.

Air traffic controllers didn't like him either.

RIP, Ms. Judd. At peace. Must've heard about her being committed circa 2010, but forgot it along the way.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject:

So sorry to hear this! May she be free of all the pain and trauma she had to endure in this life which isn't a gift for everyone.

She left a hell of a legacy in her daughters. Wynonna is one of the greatest voices in the history of country music. Now, I will listen to her song, "Is It Over Yet" with a whole new outlook.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject:

Country music legend Naomi Judd's cause of death revealed as suicide: report

https://ew.com/music/naomi-judd-cause-of-death-suicide-report/

Quote:
Naomi Judd's cause of death has come to light. The Grammy-winning country star, known for her work as one half of the mother-daughter duo the Judds, died by suicide Saturday at 76, after struggling with mental illness for much of her life, according to PEOPLE. Multiple sources reportedly confirmed the news.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject:

Very sad.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:

I only know UC Irvine's history, which dates back to 1965. There was tuition from the start (but even inflation adjusted, it was way cheaper than today). Reagan didn't become governor until 1967. I know in the 1980s California was paying 75% of the costs; now it's closer to 25%.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 10:13 am    Post subject:

^^^ My first semester at CSUN in 1980 was $150 for 15 semester units. I think a semester at Pierce Jr. College cost me $20 for going full time. Books cost more than the tuition fees.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

Ashley Judd said her mother she shot herself.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/ashley-judd-confirms-naomi-judd-died-by-suicide-145838973.html

Quote:
"I'm tasked with an exceeding difficult task in disclosing the manner of the way my mother chose not to continue to live," Ashley told Diane Sawyer. "She used a weapon. Mother used a firearm."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
^^^ My first semester at CSUN in 1980 was $150 for 15 semester units. I think a semester at Pierce Jr. College cost me $20 for going full time. Books cost more than the tuition fees.

When I went to UCSB in the late ‘80s, it was $400 a quarter.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:

I only know UC Irvine's history, which dates back to 1965. There was tuition from the start (but even inflation adjusted, it was way cheaper than today). Reagan didn't become governor until 1967. I know in the 1980s California was paying 75% of the costs; now it's closer to 25%.

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/local/what-happened-to-californias-free-tuition-a-history-of-fees-and-budget-issues/103-465128027

Quote:
1868: The Organic Act creates the University of California as a “complete university,” merging the then-private College of California in Oakland and a new state land-grant institution. Section 14 of the Act read: “as soon as the income of the University shall permit, admission and tuition shall be free to all residents of the State.”

1921: California colleges begin to charge “incidental fees” of $25 per year to cover non-instruction related services. Non-California residents are charged $75 per year for tuition, but residents are still tuition-free.

1960: The Master Plan for Higher Education in California maintains that tuition at University of California and state colleges should be free, but that fees are necessary to help cover non-instructional costs. “The two governing boards reaffirm the long established principle that state colleges and the University of California shall be free to all residents of the state.”

1966: Ronald Reagan assumed office of Governor of California and changed the course of the state’s higher education system. In his eight years, he cut state funding for college and universities and laid the foundation for a tuition-based system.

According to a New York Times article from 1982, during his eight years as governor, “Reagan fought hard in the legislature to impose tuition at four-year colleges. He lost the battle to lobbyists for the university, … However, the Legislature agreed to increase student registration fees.”

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject:

I've got the fee structures going back to '65 stored away at my office. I'll post them if I ever go back to my office.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject:

I saw Ashley Judd on The Talk today. I didn't watch the show. She looks so much like her mother. She's gained weight.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: